Would you be willing to substitute your salvation for someone elses?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
There may be no good answer to this hypothetical question.

If God said to you: "Would you be willing to spend eternity in hell so that this person here can spend eternity in heaven with me?", what would you say?

What if the person was your unsaved spouse?

What if, instead of you going to heaven, 1000 people could be saved and get to heaven, and you would go to hell.

Would you be willing to make that kind of sacrifice?

I don't think I would.

My reasoning is that I believe God would want me to want to be with him more than any other thing ever. I think God would be offended if I chose the salvation of even 1000 people over my own.

What do you all think?

I have contemplated this before. I wish that I could say I would be willing to, but the truth is I doubt I would. So, instead, I use it to motivate me to make sure I bring as many people to heaven with me as I can. I may not be able to take their place, but they will not be able to say I didn't tell them of the love of God either.
 
I think the real question that some of us may face one day is, are you willing to die for one person to get saved?

I agree. However, my mom used to say that when God asked us to be a living sacrifice that meant we had to decide to stay on the altar. She said it is easier to die for God than to live for God many times. The same would be true here. Where I might be willing to give my life so someone would be saved, would I be willing to live my life in such a way that someone looking at my life would want salvation?
 
I think that's just too scarey a question to answer honestly. You may say yeah I'd do it for someone I loved, but we're talking hell forever here.

I'm glad this is not a question we will ever have to answer. It's enough of a burden to bring our own salvation to completion, let alone someone else's.

Quest
 
My youngest son's friend Logan, age 10, had invited my son to his church and mid-week Kidz Meeting on several occasions, which my son gladly accepted each time. I could never get Nicholas interested in going to church with me so I was quite happy he was going with his best bud.

Last Wednesday, Logan was on his way over to our house to invite Nicholas to join him and his church group on some sort of mission. I'm not sure of the details.

On his way over...Logan was hit by a pickup truck.

He died the following Monday...April 5th...

Logan died doing the Lord's work.
His hope was that his friend, my son....would know Jesus.

Rest in Peace Logan...you dear sweet boy.

Wow that is a sweet story. I will pray that God will bring to fruition the seed Logan planted in your son's life and that through Logan's friendship, Nicholas will accept Christ.
 
There may be no good answer to this hypothetical question.

If God said to you: "Would you be willing to spend eternity in hell so that this person here can spend eternity in heaven with me?", what would you say?

What if the person was your unsaved spouse?

What if, instead of you going to heaven, 1000 people could be saved and get to heaven, and you would go to hell.

Would you be willing to make that kind of sacrifice?

I don't think I would.

My reasoning is that I believe God would want me to want to be with him more than any other thing ever. I think God would be offended if I chose the salvation of even 1000 people over my own.

What do you all think?

You would do it if you really loved someone. The idea that sacrifice comes with a permanent penalty is just an illusion put in place to scare any timid heart away from accomplishing such a feat. God would never truly allow someone who loved others that much, to fall into darkness forever. That is not to say you wouldn't suffer for it; but, any sacrifice costs blood. It might seem crude and evil; but, it is the way of the ethereal universe, not ours. God's only son was willing to endure unimaginable suffering and pain for the good of all who had been left to rot in the pit forever. He descended into Sheol upon his death and all the righteous in Sheol were freed. Jesus; however was not abandoned by God; for God loved Jesus too much and would never let such a noble and selfless deed go unrewarded; therefore, he was lifted into heaven after his resurrection and given an eternal Kingdom.
 
Last edited:
For as long as I can remember; my mother has accused me of "putting other people ahead of myself." I guess she may be right since it seems like so many people whom I've called "friends" took advantage of my good nature.

To answer this question: I would have to say that IF someone elses salvation was in jeoperday and IF that person was a family member and very dear to me. Like my Father, Mother or one of my Brothers; I would without hesitation.

I know that the Lord would understand why I would ask such a thing of him. I don't know what his answer would be, but I would plead the case with everything I have for my family member's sake.

I guess Mom was right. I have always been like that.
 
*******text removed by 1still_waters..tone could of been a lil ess harsh***************. there is no right answer, if you answer no then you are selfish and don't deserve heaven yourself and if you answer yes then you are saying that salvation don't mean anything to you/ why even play what if with something so precious as salvation. if a frog had wings he wouldn't have to flop his rear end in the mud all day
'
and it is not our place to give salvation, and we are playing God if we say that we can give salvation to anyone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
if you answer yes then you are saying that salvation don't mean anything to you

Doesn't. You're saying salvation *doesn't* mean anything to you. And I believe that is a very poor judgment. Jesus once said that the greatest sacrifice a man can make is to sacrifice his life for his friend. I could easily say that if you give up your life for someone, your life meant nothing to you. That is, of course, a ridiculous statement.

If you could tell God to give your place in Eternity to someone who does not have one, it does not mean salvation means nothing to you. In fact, I'd say salvation means so much MORE to the person who gives it up so that someone else might be saved than it does to the person who keeps it to himself.

if you answer no then you are selfish and don't deserve heaven yourself
I found this amusing, because right after you said this, you said that the man who gives up his salvation selflessly to save someone else says that salvation means nothing to him, yet just before you said that, here you are saying that if the man said no, he is selfish and doesn't deserve heaven.

The fact of the matter is that NONE of us deserve heaven. I don't deserve heaven, you don't deserve heaven. We receive an eternity in heaven COMPLETELY because of the grace and mercy of God. G-d did not choose you to sit beside Him in heaven because you DESERVED it. He chose you because He loves you, and you chose Him.
 
My youngest son's friend Logan, age 10, had invited my son to his church and mid-week Kidz Meeting on several occasions, which my son gladly accepted each time. I could never get Nicholas interested in going to church with me so I was quite happy he was going with his best bud.

Last Wednesday, Logan was on his way over to our house to invite Nicholas to join him and his church group on some sort of mission. I'm not sure of the details.

On his way over...Logan was hit by a pickup truck.

He died the following Monday...April 5th...

Logan died doing the Lord's work.
His hope was that his friend, my son....would know Jesus.

Rest in Peace Logan...you dear sweet boy.

Wow! Very powerful! Gives us much to consider...

I'm at loss for words...

Quest
 
I can not deal in hypotheticals. I am already saved and salvation can not be taken from me. So that question is moot and unanswerable. However if the question is would I die a physical death to spiritual save another. Then yes, I think I could. Death is scary to me and a deep rooted source of anxiety and depression for me and I still think that I could do it. - with the Lord's help

Debbie
 
Doesn't. You're saying salvation *doesn't* mean anything to you. And I believe that is a very poor judgment. Jesus once said that the greatest sacrifice a man can make is to sacrifice his life for his friend. I could easily say that if you give up your life for someone, your life meant nothing to you. That is, of course, a ridiculous statement.

If you could tell God to give your place in Eternity to someone who does not have one, it does not mean salvation means nothing to you. In fact, I'd say salvation means so much MORE to the person who gives it up so that someone else might be saved than it does to the person who keeps it to himself.

I found this amusing, because right after you said this, you said that the man who gives up his salvation selflessly to save someone else says that salvation means nothing to him, yet just before you said that, here you are saying that if the man said no, he is selfish and doesn't deserve heaven.

The fact of the matter is that NONE of us deserve heaven. I don't deserve heaven, you don't deserve heaven. We receive an eternity in heaven COMPLETELY because of the grace and mercy of God. G-d did not choose you to sit beside Him in heaven because you DESERVED it. He chose you because He loves you, and you chose Him.

giving up your life and sending your soul to hell, is two totally different things, I hope u learn this one day!!!!!


Mt 16:26For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
 
hey still waters, you give me an infraction and change my post , because I said the question was not a smart question and this guy responds to me with this and you do nothing


Doesn't. You're saying salvation *doesn't* mean anything to you. And I believe that is a very poor judgment. Jesus once said that the greatest sacrifice a man can make is to sacrifice his life for his friend. I could easily say that if you give up your life for someone, your life meant nothing to you. That is, of course, a ridiculous statement.
 
giving up your life and sending your soul to hell, is two totally different things, I hope u learn this one day!!!!!


Mt 16:26For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

There's also a big difference between selling your soul for earthly profit and selflessly giving your place in Eternity to someone else :)

And, really, if we truly understand what exactly it was we were saved from, no, giving up our lives to save someone else's and giving up our eternity in heaven that someone else might have it is no different :)
 
hey still waters, you give me an infraction and change my post , because I said the question was not a smart question and this guy responds to me with this and you do nothing

Perhaps it's the fact that I called MY statement ridiculous, and not yours? :)
 
There's also a big difference between selling your soul for earthly profit and selflessly giving your place in Eternity to someone else :)

And, really, if we truly understand what exactly it was we were saved from, no, giving up our lives to save someone else's and giving up our eternity in heaven that someone else might have it is no different :)
you can't give your place in eternity to someone else, and I can't say how i feel about this whole thread without getting an infractionment so grin all you want
 
you can't give your place in eternity to someone else


You're right, but then, that's why it's called a "hypothetical". Hypotheticals aren't sinful :)

and I can't say how i feel about this whole thread without getting an infractionment so grin all you want

Is there a way to say how you feel about it in a kind way? I don't think the issue here is that you CAN'T say what you think about it. I think it is in how you say it.
 
You're right, but then, that's why it's called a "hypothetical". Hypotheticals aren't sinful :)



Is there a way to say how you feel about it in a kind way? I don't think the issue here is that you CAN'T say what you think about it. I think it is in how you say it.


get behind me satan, in the name of Jesus Christ. I am not letting anyone provoke me into saying any more, about how we shouldn't play "what if" with something so precious as our salvation
 
get behind me satan, in the name of Jesus Christ. I am not letting anyone provoke me into saying any more, about how we shouldn't play "what if" with something so precious as our salvation

Wow. I am amazed at how lightly you invoke the name of our lord and saviour...

I was not trying to provoke you into saying anything. I was just suggesting that you might have misinterpreted the actions of still_waters. I was only trying to mediate and help you, but you seem more interested in being at odds with people than in getting along.

Sad.