Would you play this video game?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2020

Would you play this? I think it looks interesting. It doesn't necessarily look historically or Biblically accurate, but it's a video game improvised for playability. This game is set to be released at an unspecified time in 2022.

Also, do you see any issues with making a first-person video game about Jesus? What are the pros and cons?

I personally would play this video game if it were free. Also, I don't see any problem with using video games as a medium to talk about Jesus. I can't find any issues with putting Jesus in books, magazines, art, and movies so why not add video games to the list? I think there is some caution to throw to the wind about idolatry: don't commit idolatry.

I see that this is a good thing as long as the message about Jesus remains true, contains some information about salvation through faith, and holy living, but doesn't need to be exhaustively all-inclusive.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I dunno... All I can think of is a Scott Krippayne song. "I Am Jesus."

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Ahem... Sorry, music nerd reflex.

It depends on how they make the game. I don't think it will go over well though. Gamers want freedom of choice in games, and to tell the story straight you'd have to pretty much railroad it. It would have to be a walking simulator.

I could be wrong though. It should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Bleed

Dec 8, 2019
maybe...

i do enjoy video games.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
huh
I dont know in general I dont play video games as I dont really have those gaming devices.

Is it a two person or one person game...wouldnt you need twelve players to make up disciples? .

Mar 4, 2020
huh
I dont know in general I dont play video games as I dont really have those gaming devices.

Is it a two person or one person game...wouldnt you need twelve players to make up disciples? .
As far as I know, it's a single player game played from the point of view of Jesus. The player goes around performing miracles, healing people, multiplying fish, stuff like that. I noticed there are direct quotes to scripture in the game. I don't want to give away spoilers, but the trailer reveals that the player can continue playing post-crucifixion, atleast up to the point of rolling away the stone from Jesus' tomb.

Also, this is a PC game. You might be able to play it on your Windows laptop or desktop. I first saw this game on the Steam game client.

Mar 4, 2020
Ahem... Sorry, music nerd reflex.

It depends on how they make the game. I don't think it will go over well though. Gamers want freedom of choice in games, and to tell the story straight you'd have to pretty much railroad it. It would have to be a walking simulator.

I could be wrong though. It should be interesting to see how it turns out.
So far, 1 out of 20 curators have not recommended it for reasons unrelated to the video game, citing political and religious reasons. All personal opinions aside, I think it will have a niche market but I agree it probably won't be overwhelming popular due to a linear storyline. I doubt there will be much room for open world exploration, side quests, character development, and unlockables.

A good idea for a game like this might be an open world game, packed with side quests, and high replay value that has something to do with the Millennial Kingdom. Just imagine how epic that'd be.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
A good idea for a game like this might be an open world game, packed with side quests, and high replay value that has something to do with the Millennial Kingdom. Just imagine how epic that'd be.
Didn't they already do that with the Left Behind franchise? I hear it didn't go so well.

Mar 4, 2020
Didn't they already do that with the Left Behind franchise? I hear it didn't go so well.
The Left Behind video games were set in the great tribulation, but yeah they didn't do too good and received a lot of critical reviews for allegedly encouraging violence. Idk, maybe a Millennial Kingdom game might fare better if it was done right.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
huh

One of the 12 would have to play Judas.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
One of the 12 would have to play Judas.
Not it! I'm not it!

I said it first. By the Rules Of The Playground you cannot make me it.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I'm not sure God is interested in a Christian VG/simulation product but I've thought of some ideas over the years that I can see potential in it but with the way that games work on the brain, it would take a lot of discernment to make it productive but not unplayable.

Something like educational programming. These videos are pretty boring and almost all wouldn't watch them at home but in school they're better than "regular class" or they were for me.

Schoolhouse rock as an example.

So something that is still engaging but doesn't just turn it into what is wrong with video games would be pretty neat. I don't think virtual reality is "bad" unilaterally but some special safeguards would be necessary most likely.

I don't mean VR like oculus or anything...a video game IS a virtual reality with varying levels of immersion depending on the technology/graphics but figuring out how immersive to make it is where I get stumped. Could be that I want games like this to be "too immersive" and that's why it hasn't gone any farther for me in making it a reality? Idk.

On specific topic though, no I wouldn't be interested in such a game. Playing Jesus seems blasphemous. What I'm imagining just seems so off that I'm curious who is making it.

You can easily make the same game from a disciples point of view (choosing the disciple) and even leave out the option of choosing Judas or force switch to Peter when it comes to betrayal/hanging.

That may seem too "churchy" but don't you think it'd be odd to have a dialogue box where you yourself get to click "betray Jesus" "Hang yourself"? Seems pretty inappropriate.

Same with doing miracles like that.

I think there is a way to make VG that are respectful of what the Lord chose to write and at the same time be appropriate with creative license and to not "go beyond what is written" but it would be seriously challenging if not impossible.

Ofc, to be fair, I feel similarly with biblical films and to a MUCH lesser extent dramas (audio or otherwise).

Any representation can be quite powerful and the risk doesn't seem worth the payout but that could just be for me and my own personal shortcomings.

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
I wonder....I mean, I know there are video games based on the Bible. But how many games are there where you actually get to play as Jesus himself?

So it definitely sounds....interesting. 🥴

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
OP have you played it. Any good?

I dont have much attention span for video games Im afraid. Im more into reading books for hours at time.

I like how if you play Jesus, instead of shooting people or driving a fast car like a lot of generic video games (yawn) you'd be doing miracles and healing people.

I wonder of they have a 'build the temple' or 'build the kingdom of heaven' game kind of like tetris. I'd play that. You'd have blocks falling from the sky and you'd have to put all the precious stones in order.

Mar 4, 2020
OP have you played it. Any good?

I dont have much attention span for video games Im afraid. Im more into reading books for hours at time.

I like how if you play Jesus, instead of shooting people or driving a fast car like a lot of generic video games (yawn) you'd be doing miracles and healing people.

I wonder of they have a 'build the temple' or 'build the kingdom of heaven' game kind of like tetris. I'd play that. You'd have blocks falling from the sky and you'd have to put all the precious stones in order.
I registered to access the early pre-releasr version of the game, but I guess I didn't make the cut. The game is scheduled to release for sale sometime in 2022, but I don't normally buy video games anymore.

Bleed

Dec 8, 2019
I registered to access the early pre-releasr version of the game, but I guess I didn't make the cut. The game is scheduled to release for sale sometime in 2022, but I don't normally buy video games anymore.
i registered after i read this thread.