Young Earth creationism

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
" For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day...." Ex 20:11

According to the above quote the Bible states that the Lord made the earth, the sea and everything in it in 6 days and then rested from His completed work on the 7th-day.

Here's the question: Is the Bible the final authority for the Christian or must we accept what science states on this issue?
 
Hi again Robert,

Could Heaven be a different dimension? It seems like in Rev, John seen a hole open up in the sky and heaven appeared.....

Just a thought.
 
I know WHAT a day is, the question was what is a LITERAL day with God.

Israel was commanded to keep the Sabbath. They worked six days (as did God) and then they rested (as did God). That sure looks literal to me....
 
I know WHAT a day is, the question was what is a LITERAL day with God. the bible states a day with the Lord is as a 1000 days. From your posts I have read, I am sure you are a good man and a great Christian. I discuss bible a lot because I am so very interested in it. But I can almost put everyone in the church they belong to by what they say!. We all have the same bible so we should all be on the same page. The reason we are NOT, is because of church doctrine.
Was Eves sin that she ate an apple? and if so, why was the punishment pain during delivery?

If a day is a 1000 years, and its been 6000 years since 'Adamah" that makes appx 13,000 years. It was about that time that earth was mostly destroyed by the ice age.

God used science (and created science) in making the earth beautiful. The only reason science people and Gods senario don't agree is because the scientists are not as smart as God. Also, if you note, it is science that is all the time recanting and coming up with "new" findings. God's word never changes. Only human understandings change as we study and learn what God says about the bible and earth. Its man that always is in error.

humbly...allan
Wait, so you believe that verse says that a day really means 1000? So How many days did it take for Jesus to rise from the dead? Couldn't that verse just mean that God is not bound by time, like us?
 
Allan, a quick thought... the Bible does NOT say that a day IS a thousand years. It says, "With the Lord, a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day". Context is critical! This is a statement about the nature of God's patience, not about the nature of creation. It is not good exegesis to take this statement and apply it to the days of creation. Nice idea, but not sound. Because if the first half of the statement means that creation days were 6,000 years, then what does it say about Methuselah's age? That he lived approximately 23 hours? Probably not.
 
Last edited:
Allan, a quick thought... the Bible does NOT say that a day IS a thousand years. It says, "With the Lord, a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day". Context is critical! This is a statement about the nature of God's patience, not about the nature of creation. It is not good exegesis to take this statement and apply it to the days of creation. Nice idea, but not sound. Because if the first half of the statement means that creation days were 6,000 years, then what does it say about Methuselah's age? That he lived approximately 23 hours? Probably not.


Now I'm getting my popcorn....This is good....
 
As for the ice age, there is an interesting video on YouTube which discusses how the ice age may have been a direct result of the Noahic flood. Y'all can watch it and draw your own conclusions.
 
Yes Kodiak I do, but let me explain further. I'm not saying I am right or someone else is wrong when I comment. I see the bible as written by By God ( man just got to hold the pen) everything God said that was done years or ages ago were written in such a way that the written word really happened and was written down. But for us in this time, (future) it is still pertinent for us today! only God could do this. For example, Jesus rose on the third day. Could that mean that Jesus will return 3000 years after He died on the cross? I don't know. God says all souls would be lost if He didn't cut the tribulation short, and its been 2000 years already, and it feels like Jesus should be coming soon.
Itys just a thought I have, and I'm not demanding that anyone has to just believe me,. I'm just enjoying discussing the possibilites.

humbly...allan
 
Yes Kodiak I do, but let me explain further. I'm not saying I am right or someone else is wrong when I comment. I see the bible as written by By God ( man just got to hold the pen) everything God said that was done years or ages ago were written in such a way that the written word really happened and was written down. But for us in this time, (future) it is still pertinent for us today! only God could do this. For example, Jesus rose on the third day. Could that mean that Jesus will return 3000 years after He died on the cross? I don't know. God says all souls would be lost if He didn't cut the tribulation short, and its been 2000 years already, and it feels like Jesus should be coming soon.
Itys just a thought I have, and I'm not demanding that anyone has to just believe me,. I'm just enjoying discussing the possibilites.

humbly...allan
I believe what you said. I think we are in the beginnings of the 3rd day... 7th day.
 
"Young Earth creationism (YEC) is the religious belief that the Universe, Earth and all life on Earth were created by direct acts of God during a relatively short period, between 5,700 and 10,000 years ago."

What does the Bible teach?

The Bible records a little over 6,000 years of history. Prior to that, you have Creation Week (7 x 24 hour days). The first act of creation would involve God creating time, space and matter. From matter He created everything. So that would indicate that the universe and everything in it is roughly 6,000 years old.
 
lol, pass the popcorn, I'll supply the pop. and I agree with what you just stated about "time" Robert, God is not limited to time where He lives. but He has to use time when He tries to allow us to understand the bible. Each one has to understand what God allows us to understand. Fot the age, I agree he was really old because God said that. at first people could have lived forever but that was cut than God made it a 120 years and then 70 years. Was God refering to His years or Earth's years. I would have to say we have to take in in the context of what is said and how it is used.

Robert, In Matt 13, The disciples asked Jesus why He spoke in parables, and Jesus answered, it is not for everyone to just understand the word of God. That only by diligent study would the word be revealed to a person.

I believe that as we study, God will reveal more and more to us, IF it is important to what our purpose is here. God is going to judge us more harshly, if more has been reveled to us and we don't follow through. ( this is just my opinion)

Thanks for responding to my thoughts Robert. I'm not saying I am right on things, its just the opinion I have at this point.

humbly...allan
 
I know WHAT a day is, the question was what is a LITERAL day with God. the bible states a day with the Lord is as a 1000 days. From your posts I have read, I am sure you are a good man and a great Christian. I discuss bible a lot because I am so very interested in it. But I can almost put everyone in the church they belong to by what they say!. We all have the same bible so we should all be on the same page. The reason we are NOT, is because of church doctrine.
Was Eves sin that she ate an apple? and if so, why was the punishment pain during delivery?

If a day is a 1000 years, and its been 6000 years since 'Adamah" that makes appx 13,000 years. It was about that time that earth was mostly destroyed by the ice age.

God used science (and created science) in making the earth beautiful. The only reason science people and Gods senario don't agree is because the scientists are not as smart as God. Also, if you note, it is science that is all the time recanting and coming up with "new" findings. God's word never changes. Only human understandings change as we study and learn what God says about the bible and earth. Its man that always is in error.

humbly...allan

Oh, this old chestnut. How about you learn about metaphors and how to apply them? That's not talking about Creation Week. Context is key. Also, the fruit wasn't an apple. We don't know what the fruit was. And Adam and Eve's sin was open rebellion against God, wanting to be their own god. As for the Ice Age (which probably lasted a grand total of 700 years), that was the result of the Noahic Flood that covered the whole earth roughly 4,500 years ago.
 


Well, that's philosophy...so, it's an assumption.


You're assuming that its an assumption...




Let's look at the Ten Commandments:


" For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day...." Ex 20:11


Keep in mind that "the heavens" could refer not to the universe, but our solar system.



The seventh 'Day' was opened - but NEVER closed-out like the previous six.

This, then, means that we have a new Guiness World Record for the longest 24 hr day on record!



 
Well let's just generalize with a straw-man argument why don't we?

The appearance-of-age argument is not a biblical issue. It is an interpretation-of-evidence issue.


Indeed...its an 'interpretation' required only by YEC's in order to make General Revelation jive with Special Revelation.

Again...OEC's don't have the need for invention.
 
Hi again Robert,

Could Heaven be a different dimension? It seems like in Rev, John seen a hole open up in the sky and heaven appeared.....

Just a thought.

That's very likely possible. Not a hairs-breadth away from the physical world, but in another dimension. It's not like you can take a rocket to Heaven or Hell. But the final destination for those who love Christ is actually going to be a New Heavens and New Earth. :D
 
amen KJV. PPL say most all wars have been because of religion, and they are right. It is going to culminate just like the bible says in armageddon. I have tried to connect Jesus return (I know we cannot when He comes, but we can know when its near)
I pondered over a land contract God tells us farmers made when they sold land. after the 49th Jubilee, the original farmer received the land back!
I couldn't figure out why that was important to show in the bible. I have come up with that is when Jesus will return to claim the earth back. I wonder if God didn't "sell" the land to Lucifer at some time in the past and has to wait until the contract is up to reclaim it. The bible does say that satan is the prince of the earth, and satan told Jesus he would give him "all of this) earth to Jesus IF He would worship satan. We do belong to satan by default, because We have to make a conscious decision to accept God or we will not go back to Heaven.

I think the 50th Jubilee is getting very close.

humbly...allan
 
As for the ice age, there is an interesting video on YouTube which discusses how the ice age may have been a direct result of the Noahic flood. Y'all can watch it and draw your own conclusions.


Link? .................
 
And here's a shorter Ice Age/Noahic Flood video.

[video=youtube;OnaVUESgMsY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnaVUESgMsY[/video]