Young earth Old earth

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Young earth, old earth is a different question. Whenever someone tells me the earth is x billions of years old, I tell them, "that's how long it would have taken YOU to do it".
Ken,
that is hilarious!:D
zone

Kabbalistic Cosmology
and its parallels in the
‘Big-Bang' of Modern Physics

Kabbalistic Cosmology < click

N

nathan3

[size=+2]Hi mule. We are given more info , its there if we take time an look close .Here are some of my thoughts. We know God was creating all things and there was 8 complete days. 2nd Peter gives more insight being a apostle of Christ. Chrst was the Word, and the word was with God in the beginning, and the word was made flesh. So Peter would be privy to this as well as all the apostles.

2nd Peter chapter 3 states: ""8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.""

So factoring in the knowledge Peter gives us; we can logically say for each day in Genesis God was in creating , stands for a One thousand year period of time. That would be eight thousand years from the time of Genesis chapter 1 verse 3 all the way to chapter 2:25. But science says that this earth is Millions of years in age. So in as much as God created this earth his earth is a testament unto its self of God's work , and I agree with the Scientist in there date for the earth. So what are we missing ?

I think the answer is revealed in part, in Genesis chapter 1: verse 1 and 2.

Genesis 1

King James Version (KJV)

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. ( What many people overlook here is that verse one is a complete statement. It does say God created the heavens and the earth all before the 6 to 8 days. The only time we're given here is " the beginning " . If does not say when, the beginning was. ).........

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

In verse two here something happens from the time of verse 1.

A few passages and original Hebrew words, from Genesis for your consideration:

Gen.1

[2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

( The word " was", is different in Hebrew then English )

The Hebrew word for " was" :

Strong's : Index - King James Bible with Strongs Dictionary - SpeedBible by johnhurt.com

Was:
hayah
haw-yaw

a primitive root (compare 'hava'' (1933)); to exist,i.e. be or become, come to pass (always emphatic, and not a mere copula or auxiliary):--beacon, X altogether, be(-come), accomplished, committed, like), break, cause, "come (to pass)", do, faint, fall, + follow, happen, X have, last, pertain, quit (one-)self, require, X use.

The English word " without form " in the Hebrew is :

tohuw
to'-hoo

from an unused root meaning "to lie waste; a desolation" (of surface), i.e. desert; figuratively, a worthless thing; adverbially, in vain:--confusion, empty place, without form, nothing, (thing of) nought, vain, vanity, waste, wilderness.

The word " void " in Genesis 1:2. That is in Hebrew , the word the translators looked at:

bohuw
bo'-hoo
from an unused root(meaning to be empty);a vacuity, i.e. (superficially) an undistinguishable ruin:--emptiness, void.

Taking this into account. we see verses 1 & 2 in a better light :

[1] In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

[2] And the earth then( became ) a desolation, and a total ruin; and darkness was upon the face of the deep... And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

What dose God have to say about His creation ells where?

Isaiah 45:18

For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain ( Not void Not in vain ), he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

Since we read God did not create it that way. I think these verses give more information on those times and events. In regards to Genesis 1: verse 2 .

Jeremiah 4: 21 How long shall I see the standard, and hear the sound of the trumpet?

22 For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.

23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

24 I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly.

25 I beheld, and, lo,there was no man,and all the birds of the heavens were fled.

26 I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the Lord, and by his fierce anger.

This reveals soo much. He said "no" man, cities and God's anger they were all destroyed. What happened then, why In the beginning God destroyed this earth.. Other notes you might want to read are Rev 12: and Ezekiel 28:

Gen 1:
Now we see God restoring the earth here , where It can be inhabited once again; imo:

[3] And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

[4] And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

[5] And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

To address your statement about was there men living on earth before Adam and Eve. lets skip to the 6th day.

6TH Day

[26] And "God said, Let us make man" in our image," ( God included himself also in this.) after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

[27] So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. ( We can see, he made women also on this day

[28] And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

He told them to multiply

[29] And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

[30] And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

[31] And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold,it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

We should know, it says there was rest for the 7th. But then after the 7th day of rest ,on the 8th, there was no tiller of the soil. We then see the creation of Adam and Eve ( through whom Christ would eventually arrive. . Hope this helped. Go over the Hebrew again with the Strong's so you can check to see I got the right translations to the words in Genesis 1:2

http://www.sacrednamebible.com/kjvstrongs/index.htm [/size]

Last edited:
T

Tintin

Good grief! Could you please make your font size much smaller? That's difficult to read. Also, try not to post so much in one post. Very few are going to take the effort. Break your post up into more manageable chunks. Thanks

N

nathan3

Good grief! Could you please make your font size much smaller? That's difficult to read. Also, try not to post so much in one post. Very few are going to take the effort. Break your post up into more manageable chunks. Thanks
Do you like this size better ? The post is rather small information wise. Space is taken when I wrote out the scriptures, and the size of the font gives the illusion that there is more written then there actually is. Next time will not write out the scriptures. This is not the longest post I posted before, Check out my Thread called " Figures of Speech used in the Bible, that is what I consider a long post. The information I gave here is small for the subject being addressed. It's better to be thorough then give half answers when it comes to something as important as the Bible. Bbecause the definitions I used can sometimes be hard to read for people, that is why I increased the font size. In my opinion its a really small post. Its just the font size is big so that there is no confusion. This text is small, but many more people prefer a large text size over small fonts. .

Last edited:
T

Tintin

Thanks, that's much better. Hmm... How do you know many more people prefer your larger font size to the small? Has there been a poll? It just strikes me as something only a few would prefer. And you're correct. Your post is small but with such a large font size it proves distracting and I have to scroll and scroll and scroll for just one post. It gets tiresome. Please keep posting the Bible verses, just try to keep your font size uniform with the default for the forum. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Be blessed, brother.

N

nathan3

Thanks, that's much better. Hmm... How do you know many more people prefer your larger font size to the small? Has there been a poll? It just strikes me as something only a few would prefer. And you're correct. Your post is small but with such a large font size it proves distracting and I have to scroll and scroll and scroll for just one post. It gets tiresome. Please keep posting the Bible verses, just try to keep your font size uniform with the default for the forum. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Be blessed, brother.
Yeah I read the forum often, and i see more complaints from people about long post and small font sizes together. It just may be a matter of getting your finger some more exercise .

T

Tintin

If that's the case, we may have a lot of members here who just need to buy some glasses (I'm wearing a pair and I'm not struggling). Large print works fine in a book but on the computer screen it becomes a bit more cumbersome. Maybe you could compromise, use a font between the two sizes (too big and default size)? Thanks.

N

nathan3

mistaken Double post..

N

nathan3

If that's the case, we may have a lot of members here who just need to buy some glasses (I'm wearing a pair and I'm not struggling). Large print works fine in a book but on the computer screen it becomes a bit more cumbersome. Maybe you could compromise, use a font between the two sizes (too big and default size)? Thanks.
I used font size " [size=+2]2[/size] " . Examples of other, font sizes I could have used :

Tintin

[size=+1]Tintin[/size]

[size=+2]Tintin[/size] <-- This is the size I used in my post

[size=+3]Tintin[/size]

[size=+4]Tintin[/size]

T

Tintin

The font size just above your current one would work nicely. Sorry to be a pain.

N

nathan3

The font size just above your current one would work nicely. Sorry to be a pain.
No problem I have time to chat, i was kinda bored anyway.

shawntc

May 7, 2010
I am an Old Earth Creationist. I believe the universe is about 13.7 billion years old, as best as our current scientific understanding is. If I'm not mistaken, the entire notion of the Earth being 6 to 10,000 years old is a relatively new concept. It was only popularized around the 1650s. There were also a couple early church fathers who questions the literal nature of Genesis 1-2.

T

Tintin

Really? From the readings I've done, it seems the belief that the world is billions of years old is the one that's the relatively new concept. Around the time of the so called 'Enlightenment'. Also, I thought they believed it was more like 4.5 billions years than 13.7.