Your Bible translation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Which Bible translation do you use as your main translation?

• NIV

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NLT

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • ESV

• CSB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KJV

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • NKJV

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • NRSV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NASB

• Other (please comment)

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

Don1980

Apr 26, 2019
I've always used the NIV and NLT, but have started getting into the ESV. I find it hard to settle on one main translation (I know the advice is ususally to have one for devotional and reading, and refer to others). So I'm curious, what do you use and why? Have you changed translation, and why? Please note I'm not interested in a debate about translations, I think they're all good.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I have this one bible that I got from my grandma that is 4 different versions all at once. Its kind of cool to read a scripture that you don't quite understand and see the different ways it is understood and translated in the different versions.

The KJV remains the most simple and easiest to understand most of the time, for me.

E

eternally-gratefull

I have used the KJV/NKJV since I was a kid. My father gave me a NKJV when I was a teen, I still use that bible. I have tried to use the NASB and ESV (my wife like the ESV) But I am so used to the NKJV that I always revert to that, so I decided I will just stick with it.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I started with the NKJV as a new Christian.. But eventually transferred to the KJV because i believe it is the Word of God..

Chester

May 23, 2016
I use the KJV the most: for public reading and for most of my study and reading. I occasionally use the ESV. If I am reading in the prophets or Proverbs I often pick up the NIV because it makes the reading straightforward and easier to follow the main thoughts. I never liked the NKJV. (Just my opinions)

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I don't really appoint one over the others; I either reference at least 3 different versions or use a parallel like Grandpa said.

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
My current primary translation is the NKJV.

After that, it's the original NIV, then the HCSB and finally the NLT.

I was raised on the KJV, but I don't read from it as often as I used to. It's still one of my favorite versions though.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I find it hard to settle on one main translation...
All the more reason to settle on one translation. After having done your due diligence.

I have done my due diligence and settled on the King James Bible a long time ago.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
Those who choose KJV, why that one?

Popularity?
Education in vocabulary?

Chester

May 23, 2016

Popularity?
Education in vocabulary?
One of the most accurate to the Greek text - ESV and NASB are also good.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018

Popularity?
Education in vocabulary?
God speaks to me through that one.
Ive tried other bible versions but its only the KJV that resonates with my spirit.

Dec 12, 2013
King Jimmy <----But study every word from Greek and Hebrew
NASV
AMPLIFIED
NASB/NIV parallel in Greek N.T.
Tanach <--for OT

and half a dozen word study books and theological dictionaries

Feb 28, 2016
there are (2) types of translations, 'literal and functional' -
literal is taken directly from the Text, and Functional is basically
how the translator sees it, or in their opinion, which can hinder proper understanding
as the translator is subject to error - no 'translation is perfect, although God's Word is...

personally, we like the KJV-along with many 'study-aids'...

it's like chicken, you have to pick-out the meat and throw away the bones and gristle...
:):)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
My first readings through the Bible were kjv, and the church I grew up in gave us kids niv's (1984 version) when the elders there decided to start using it. I still have that one, full of notes and highlighting, and use it more often than the other hard copy I have, a newer scoffield reference kjv.

As a result all the verses I have memorized - or when a passage is recalled in part to my memory - is kjv or niv's phrasing.

I do more reading on websites or on my phone app, where I can look at multiple versions and see something of the original languages. There I've been recently reading the Geneva version, and I find myself often preferring the nasb for the OT but not so much the NT.
I like to refer to the YLT whenever I see verses that appear to be difficult to translate (seeing that they vary a lot between many different popular versions) because it is usually as close to word for word literal as I can find.

I really can't stand the nlt. Way too much paraphrasing. I can't stand to read the amplified either, and I think the msg is an abomination. I do not subscribe to the 'this Bible only' thing - they are translations into my language and I acknowledge that as fact - but it very much irks me to see the scripture treated so loosely in versions like those.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
There's always the MRV ;)

Apr 15, 2017
I like the KJV, and I like the way it is written.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Right now I am reading the NET - New English Translation. It has 60,000 footnotes, exegeting the text, the cultural and many other things. It does tend to get repetitive in Greek. Every time they remove a de or a lego, they have the same footnote.

But I have also learned a lot, especially background. Another issue with the full notes is the print is so small. I have a magnifying glass use on the footnotes. I also appreciate they use original script fir Hebrew and Greek. Transliteration drives me crazy, because then I have speed it out with the Greek or Hebrew script in the margins.

Before this I read HSCB for a few years. I tried ESV for about 5 years, 25 years with the NASB and used KJV as a child, which I find very difficult to understand.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Footnotes drive me nuts its like saying*

* this actually doesnt mean what it says we think it means this...

If you after popularity NIV seems to be the top of the pops for ages. But a new popular version of the Bible has now come into the shops. After the adult colouring in books craze you now have ones called the Inspire Bible that you can actually colour in. When I first tried to introduce colour in scripture books at church for adults they were like what isnt that for kids? And I was like no why cant adults colour in too. Well now its taken off in a big way.

Education in vocab, the amplified version is like solving a crossword puzzle. You dont need a thesaurus if reading that one

Ive tried to get people into the LOLCAT version, but nobody ever seems to quote from it. So I stick with KJV. I can find copies anywhere and they are free rather than $80 with copyright restrictions.

CEV I had for use for teaching Bible in schools but actually, I got annoyed with the CEV because sometimes we had a memory verse meant to teach the children but they really shortened it. And it kinda reads like you trying to explain to a two year old.

I never got why people like to quote from the Message bible. Whenever anyone does it just makes me feel like why didnt they go all the way and put emojis in it.