Your Bible translation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Which Bible translation do you use as your main translation?

• NIV

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NLT

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • ESV

• CSB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KJV

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • NKJV

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • NRSV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NASB

• Other (please comment)

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
I also have smartphone Kjv bible version. So it not like KJV cant keep up with technology, can look up verses really easily.
If you set a browser page to biblegateway.com you can select a book and chapter then switch to any translation. Going between translations allows you to see the different ways each translation words it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If you set a browser page to biblegateway.com you can select a book and chapter then switch to any translation. Going between translations allows you to see the different ways each translation words it.
Biblehub is better because it shows many translations at once on one page, if its just one verse you looking at. Thats the one I use although you can uses biblegateway.

Im all for Bible helps.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Also it helps because I dont want to buy or flick through 20 different translations in book format. I only take one Bible to church and bible study to read, not 20. It will be KJV. Even if others are reading other versions.

Its better for me to stick with one. I was once in a book club and we all meant to read the same book right? So the one I chose was Jules Verne 20,000 leagues under the sea. We had about 6 in this book club and it turned out on the day we gathered everyone of us had a different version of that book, so we couldnt really discuss it properly! Some had childrens, graphic novels, or abridged versions. I couldnt just talk about it because other versions missed out some of the plot!

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Biblehub is better because it shows many translations at once on one page, if its just one verse you looking at. Thats the one I use although you can uses biblegateway.
BibleGateway also allows you to view many translations for a single verse at the same time.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017

Im all for Bible helps.
I prefer to have verses in context. Single verses can be misleading. Especially when it is quoting a person. Like King Saul when he was angry with David.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I only take one Bible to church and bible study to read, not 20. It will be KJV. Even if others are reading other versions.
For the naysayers, it should be sufficient to note that according to this poll, almost half the respondents (including myself) stick with the tried and true King James Bible. All objections to it evaporate once the facts are known.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
For the naysayers, it should be sufficient to note that according to this poll, almost half the respondents (including myself) stick with the tried and true King James Bible. All objections to it evaporate once the facts are known.
Numbers are irrelevant, and bold font adds nothing to your argument. While I respect that you've done your homework and are happy with the KJV, your attitude about it is silly and biased. I've done my homework too... and I find that the objections stand.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Here are facts about the KJV. These facts exist because both language and knowledge of nature has changed over the 408 years since the KJV was translated. Please explain how these facts can be ignored!!
---------+
For example, because of the changes in the English language, a number of words occur in the King James that make zero sense to most people today. These include the following nuggets that you will find scattered here and there:

Almug
Algum
Charashim
Chode
Cracknels
Gat
Habergeon
Hosen
Kab
Ligure
Neesed
Nusings
Ouches
ring-straked
sycamyne
trow
wimples, ….

The King James translators also translated some animal names into animals that in fact we now have pretty good reason for thinking don’t actually exist:

unicorn (Deut. 33:17)
satyr (Isa 13:21);
dragon (Deut 32:33) (for serpent)
cockatrice (Iswa 11:8),
arrowsnake (Gen 49:11, in the margin).

Moreover,, there are phrases that simply don’t make sense any more to modern readers: Phrases that no longer make sense:

ouches of gold (Exod. 28:11);
collops of fat (Job 15:25);
naughty figs (Jer 24:2);
ien with (Jer. 3:2);
the ground is chapt (Jer 14:4);
brazen wall” (Jer 15:20);
rentest thy face (Jer. 4:30);
urrain of the cattle (Exod. 9:2);

And there are whole sentences that are confusing at best, virtually indecipherable (or humorous)

And Jacob sod pottage (Gen 25:29)
And Mt. Sinai was altogether on a smoke (Exoc. 19:18)
Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing (Ps. 5:6)
I trow not (Luke 17:9)
We do you to wit of the grace of God (2 Cor. 8:1)
Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels (2 Cor. 6:12)
He who letteth will let (2 Thes 2:7)
The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd (Eccles. 12:11)

Other sentences make sense, but would today be considered somewhat problematic – at least for the sacred Scripture. My favorite is the one that refers to one who: “Pisseth against the wall:…. 1 Sam 25:22, 34, I Kings 14:10!
(this phrase is used instead of the word man. NIV uses the word man)

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Addendum because of the 5 minute rule not working.

The commandment "Thou shalt not kill." in KJV is translated "You shall not murder." in modern translations. In 1611 kill meant first degree murder.

Explain why this is not significant!!

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
I also have smartphone Kjv bible version. So it not like KJV cant keep up with technology, can look up verses really easily.
I prefer biblegateway.com on my smartphone browser allowing selecting book and chapter then switching between the different translations to see the different wording. This allows better understanding of the text. Especially with the AMPC having other meanings of the original language words in parentheses.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Gee! Sounds like so much "chasing of the wind." And for what? So one can "keep up with the Jones?" Being so "politically/geo-religiously" correct?
Intellectual roots, and Spiritual roots, are 2 different animals. Whereas the one relies on one's own understanding (empericism). While the other requires not leaning on one's own understanding. (faith)

So what? One can run right over another with such intellectual arguments. Doesn't make that one, nor the argument right. Does it? Perhaps, in the eyes, of man! And, if this is what one lives for? They "have" their reward. Don't they? Still doesn't make one "doing GOOD in the eyes of God", does it?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I prefer biblegateway.com on my smartphone browser allowing selecting book and chapter then switching between the different translations to see the different wording. This allows better understanding of the text. Especially with the AMPC having other meanings of the original language words in parentheses.
It has the entire bible in KJV. You can get different bible versions but its just I choose KJV. You can also read it offlîne.
I find I dont need to switch between diffeerent versions when Im reading KJV. I just read it all, the way through. Usually the meaning will show itself, or I ask God and He shows me.

I only need to use different versions if someone else is quoting from a different version and I need to see what they are quoting from and how the KJV translates it, cos I understand the KJV better.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
It has the entire bible in KJV. You can get different bible versions but its just I choose KJV. You can also read it offlîne.
I find I dont need to switch between diffeerent versions when Im reading KJV. I just read it all, the way through. Usually the meaning will show itself, or I ask God and He shows me.

I only need to use different versions if someone else is quoting from a different version and I need to see what they are quoting from and how the KJV translates it, cos I understand the KJV better.
That means you understand the difference between 1611 English and modern English right?
For example kill in 1611 means first degree murder. Look at post 308 for more information about the problems 408 years has made with language and understanding of nature.

To understand KJV correctly you need to know the difference in English then and now! Language is dynamic changing as the years go by!!

John146

Jan 13, 2016
That means you understand the difference between 1611 English and modern English right?
For example kill in 1611 means first degree murder. Look at post 308 for more information about the problems 408 years has made with language and understanding of nature.

To understand KJV correctly you need to know the difference in English then and now! Language is dynamic changing as the years go by!!
Do you see a difference in kill and murder?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
For example, because of the changes in the English language, a number of words occur in the King James that make zero sense to most people today.
Because most people are either ignorant or too lazy to study. Spoon feed me please.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Do you see a difference in kill and murder?
You can kill someone in an accident that had the dead person running a red light. Not your fault. Would you call that first degree murder?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
You can kill someone in an accident that had the dead person running a red light. Not your fault. Would you call that first degree murder?
Neither kill nor murder, but was accidental.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Is abortion killing or murder? Remember, it’s lawful...