Your Bible translation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Which Bible translation do you use as your main translation?

• NIV

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NLT

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • ESV

• CSB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KJV

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • NKJV

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • NRSV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NASB

• Other (please comment)

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The National Adult Literacy Survey in 1992 and 2003 showed the following results:

The results show the average adult reads at the 9th-grade level. This accounts for the fact that the popular blockbuster novels are written at the 7th grade level. People like to read recreationally two grades below their actual reading skill. The average newspaper is written at the 11th-grade level, the tolerable limit for a 9th-grade reader.
We must reach people at their level to be effective. Talking over their heads won't work. I have a tested and quantified 200 wpm at over 90% comprehension level. acceptable High School levels are 200-225 wpm at only 75% comprehension. If average people could read the well and understand 400 year old British speak, the King James would be sufficient. Other studies show the to 40 High School texts are written at about a 5th grade level. How can we reach them if we don't translate it to them in language they under stand? Unless Salvation is just for educated snobs. Get real!
Btw, the KJV is written at a 5th grade level with shorter sounds and fewer words per verse.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Any other circular reasoning you'd like to employ, while you're at it?

The Law does not forbid killing; it does forbid murder. "Thou shalt not kill," whatever it meant in 1611, is not correct 21st century English for the commandment.
In the future, when murder loses it’s modern flare then the your ever changing bible will change with the times. Keep updating it to flow with the times.🤔

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
In the future, when murder loses it’s modern flare then the your ever changing bible will change with the times. Keep updating it to flow with the times.🤔
Thanks for the non-argument. Stick that in your wimples.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
This kill/murder debate is ridiculous. The KJV is self-contradictory anyway...

Matthew 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

Matthew 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

in both Matthew 5:21 & Matthew 19:18 the Greek is phoneuó which is
to murder.

interestingly Greek also has a different word '
to kill' apokteinó or apoktennó which is used for example in Matthew 10:28 ((do not fear those who kill the body)) -- Matthew knew both words, and i assume used them with intent, not interchangeably at random.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Shakespeare nor Chaucer was in the curriculum when I graduated HS 47 years ago.
wow man, i had to read both!
i think i had a bit of a leg-up because i was growing up with the KJV, actually. i tell people, if they have trouble with the KJV, it helps to read Shakespeare. it gets your brain used to some of the dialect.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
wow man, i had to read both!
i think i had a bit of a leg-up because i was growing up with the KJV, actually. i tell people, if they have trouble with the KJV, it helps to read Shakespeare. it gets your brain used to some of the dialect.
We read Steinbeck, Hemmingway and Orwell.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
We read Steinbeck, Hemmingway and Orwell.
My grand daughters have read Orwell but a lot of books assigned are fantacies now. I fact they don't get books because it's cheaper for schools to read and test online. Open book tests on books. Idiotic.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
I gave an example of killing not being murder that happens too often. You are going through an inteersc
intersection with a green light. A car illegally on a cross street runs the red light. You hit it in the drivers side door killing the person. That is not your fault and is not murder. Trying to make the case that this would be murder is impossible!!
Notice in verse. 13 the difference 400 years makes.
And what it made obvious? I somtimes didn,t understandt
the point. Kjv kill is too old yet murder is likewise old. Originally, the two english words carries the same meaning, are we not going to used their intended meaning? I believe we need to understand what the bible is saying and not what today is saying.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
i was told that about WS Burroughs, so i did :LOL:
Attention class, the school district and the state has determined it is inapproiate to read Breakfast of Champions. So do not, go to the bookstore or library and get Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. Is that understood? (Lol!) I was 17.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
And what it made obvious? I somtimes didn,t understandt
the point. Kjv kill is too old yet murder is likewise old. Originally, the two english words carries the same meaning, are we not going to used their intended meaning? I believe we need to understand what the bible is saying and not what today is saying.
Agree, allow the Bible to change us not the other way around.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
She also made us watch and critique "Reefer Madness." We thought it was hilarious. That was 1971! Now boys are allowed to dress like girls, wear make up and visa versa. This is so called conservative Oklahoma.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Agree, allow the Bible to change us not the other way around.
That version of English isn't taught in schools any more. And most don't hear it at home or church.
From Outreach Magazine, For pastors;
1. Less than 20 percent of Americans regularly attend church—half of what the pollsters report.

While Gallup polls and other statisticians have turned in the same percentage—about 40 percent of the population—of average weekend church attendees for the past 70 years, a different sort of research paints quite a disparate picture of how many Christians in American attend a local church on any given Sunday.

Initially prompted to discover how church plants in America were really doing, Olson, director of church planting for the Evangelical Covenant Church (covchurch.org), began collecting data in the late ’80s, gradually expanding his research to encompass overall attendance trends in the church. In his study, he tracked the annual church attendance of more than 200,000 individual Orthodox Christian churches (the accepted U.S. church universe is 330,000). To determine church attendance at the remaining 100,000-plus Orthodox Christian churches, he used statistical models, which included multiplying a church’s membership number by the denomination’s membership-to-attendance ratio.

Isn't Evangelism and the great commission the #1 works a Christian can do? Do you or anyone really think 'Thou shalt not'" have any more authority than You must not? The books of the Bible weren't written in old English. It did not exist yet.

I have studied and memorized King James, however trying to sound holier than thou is offensive to most of the publicly educated people that we are trying to reach. We are no better or worse than them especially before we became saved. Get over it! We don't live in a closed Christian society and most people think those that do like Amish and Huterites are a joke.

I'll keep reading my NIV!

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Attention class, the school district and the state has determined it is inapproiate to read Breakfast of Champions. So do not, go to the bookstore or library and get Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. Is that understood? (Lol!) I was 17.

i love you, Bob
we'll have breakfast together sometime :)

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Who cares if languages change. What did the word mean in the translation? Our language has been dummied down, modified and slangified that we don’t speak no English no mo. Should God’s word follow suit? Absolutely not. Study more diligently.
English is a very different language. In England first the Celts moved in. Then the Romans conquered it. Later the Saxons conquered it. Last the Angles conquered it. Thus the mixture of Celtic, Latin, German, and French created the confusing rules, exception to the rules and exceptions to the exceptions. Other languages only have rules. An example from Latin is cactus with the earlier plural of cactae modified now to cacti using the pronunciation of the Latin ae as a long i.