Your take on mental illness and the Christian faith...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Brandon123

May 15, 2019
I believe that illness in general is from the fall of mankind but there is a lot of stigma associated with mental illness in particular in Christian circles .... what’s your take on this topic? What do you believe?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Shoot, good question. Hey, I know! Why don't you start us off by telling us what your take is? That would be just swell!!!

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
After having multiple discussions over the years with numerous people on various Christian forums who "claim" to be Christians (but are mixed up in various false religions and cults) I'm convinced there are more than a few of them who suffer from mental illness. :eek:

Smooth

Jul 22, 2019
Mental illness? Look no further than your politically active liberal. They need prayer more than anyone.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
I believe that illness in general is from the fall of mankind but there is a lot of stigma associated with mental illness in particular in Christian circles .... what’s your take on this topic? What do you believe?
Mental illness is the emotional imbalance in someones life that stops them functioning properly.
It can show itself in psychosis, thinking everyone is against you, spying on you.
It can be depression, hearing voices, having delusions, visions etc.

Our whole lives are a projection in our heads so one could suggest everything is a delusion to a degree.
Some have said that sanity is the closest point between ones own model of the world and what actually
happens.

Unfortunately some of the emotional stabilising processes can fail to work, so it leads to dysfunctional
behaviour that appears to be only corrected by mood altering drugs. Before these drugs appeared, people
had to be locked up for their own safety.

And quite rightly caution is needed in such areas, because there is a vast difference between those who
have massive mood swings and those who resort to physical violence as a result.

It is clear on these forums and in churches many are helped by such medications, while still having faith
and walking with the Lord. Love speaks despite our weaknesses, and is eternal despite our lack of
stability, and maybe even stronger, that we recognise our need.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
There are different forms of mental illness. The interesting question would be can a Christian be mentally ill?

Some folks are mentally ill and relatively harmless. Others are mentally ill and dangerous to themselves and others. Does the mental facilities of one stem from the heart? Scripture seems to indicate that it does. An unsaved heart issues forth things that are often against the righteousness and holiness of God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Smooth

Jul 22, 2019
There are different forms of mental illness. The interesting question would be can a Christian be mentally ill?

Some folks are mentally ill and relatively harmless. Others are mentally ill and dangerous to themselves and others. Does the mental facilities of one stem from the heart? Scripture seems to indicate that it does. An unsaved heart issues forth things that are often against the righteousness and holiness of God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Working in the medical field I’ve seen countless Christians suffer from dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.

Leastamongmany

Jun 2, 2019
Usa
Depression and anxiety are the two most common forms of trouble in the brain or heart if you will! Sometimes there are situational depressive periods and of anxiety. My first husband was bi polar,paranoid schizophreniiac,it was very hard living in this time but I will say to you he loved the Lord! It wasn't something he chose,nor my son,nor grandson.it is sad the imbalances in the brain are so delicate and very often misdiagnosed! Does having either one of these make them less loving to God or He to them? We all have burdens to carry and we must with compassion and love bear one another's burdens!

danja

Nov 28, 2014
I believe in demonic oppression.All mental illness issues are caused by demons i believe .

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Working in the medical field I’ve seen countless Christians suffer from dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
Is that classified as mental illness?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
It comes from trauma which Jesus can heal. Sadly many christians dont understand how they or others can be free of it and get deliverance.
Many people suffer from it but the thing is to be singleminded about God not doubleminded and unstable in all your ways.

If you suffer from it please get spiritual help you are not alone. To be in ones right mind is something many people take for granted. When someone is attacked by the devil in their mind its not an easy thing when others just dont know how to help and many in the church dont even know how to cast out a demon.. so they turn a blind eye to it and lock the person away or drug them. But that person is captive and needs deliverance.
It requires much prayer and fasting. And grace and compassion.

7seasrekeyed

and the rumor mill is working overtime

anyone for chemical imbalance? it exists

bipolar

autistic

and many more

one size does not fit all

7seasrekeyed

there are many articles online regarding mental illness and how Christians might or should respond

here is one example:

Across the world millions of people struggle with the pain of a mental illness diagnosis. I am a biblical counselor and have walked with many people down the dark, hard road of responding to these problems. From dysthymia to panic disorder there are few difficulties in human experience as painful, isolating, and complex as the ones our culture calls mental illness.

I, along with many others, am trying to devote my life to helping people overcome the pain of these diagnoses. There are many challenges involved in overcoming them. One of those challenges is that when we use the term “mental illness” nobody really understands what we are talking about.

Most Christians simply do not have a clear understanding about the nature of mental illness. I think when most Christians use the term they are talking about hard and complicated problems that produce significant debilitating effects. When they see these problems they find them to be so extreme and troubling that they believe they must require some type of medication to correct a perceived physical problem.

Christians are right to want to provide all the help possible for these kinds of problems. If we want to provide real help, however, it will be important to know what we’re talking about when we use the term.

MORE

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
There are many root causes and many forms of mental illness. Some are rooted in chemical imbalance, some in physical trauma or improper physical development, some in emotional trauma, some in toxic exposure, and some in demonic activity. In many cases, there are multiple causes. This field is very much still in the 'trial and error' phase of diagnosis and treatment.

How should Christians respond? With compassion and truth, as with every other form of human illness.

U

UnderGrace

After having multiple discussions over the years with numerous people on various Christian forums who "claim" to be Christians (but are mixed up in various false religions and cults) I'm convinced there are more than a few of them who suffer from mental illness. :eek:
True enough indeed.

U

UnderGrace

I have not read that alzheimers nor dementia is regarded as mental illness in the psychological sense.

Brandon123

May 15, 2019
Shoot, good question. Hey, I know! Why don't you start us off by telling us what your take is? That would be just swell!!!

Read Dino’s post....that’s pretty much my take on it as well...