YouTube and copyright concerns

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Addison

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2014
1,028
47
0
56
I have 44 animated Christian cartoons that I would like to upload on my YouTube channel.

They're fairly old school but I would love to share them.

How can I first research this to see if it's okay?

I don't want my channel shut down because I'm stupid. :p

 
I'd suggest attempting to contact the company that put them out to see if they still own them, and if they don't, then who does.

But, really, if you think about it, look how many things on YT are not posted by the original owner. A common thing people do now is to state that they do not own any of the material. And to go the extra mile perhaps posting the website of the company.

I think mostly copyright issues come up with stuff people are still actively monitoring for. But i would have to imagine that old, Christian cartoons are probably not high on a copyright list for people looking for copyright infringement. And denying any ownership and crediting/linking who is the owner should alleviate most issues i would suspect.

I am no expert, but from what i see this is likely an acceptable approach.
 
Alot of youtube videos I watch have the copyright disclaimer act on them, and if the person who posted it doesn't own it, they usually just put a sentence saying 'I don't own this, credit to (name of person or company)"..
You could also do some research online as to who owns the cartoons, and if they're still under copyright. If they're listed as "public domain" that means the public now owns them because the original owner never renewed (or forfeited) their copyright license.. Either way just be sure to give credit. :)
 
YouTube Copyright Center - YouTube

The prevailing advice seems to be to not upload something that's not original content, unless you have permission from the copyright owner or licensing (usually you have to pay for licensing). I see the "I don't own this/I give full credit to X" disclosure on a lot of videos, but I'm not certain one way or the other that affirming that actually protects you. Chances are any videos you post that infringe on copyright law would be taken down and you might be warned, rather than to have your entire channel shut down (unless, maybe, you claim the material as your own).
 
Well, Addison,Siberian is right. Due to author's copyright and law protecting the originality of materials and must ask permission from authors to get show the videos on other sites. That's the legal method. :)
 
YouTube Copyright Center - YouTube

The prevailing advice seems to be to not upload something that's not original content, unless you have permission from the copyright owner or licensing (usually you have to pay for licensing). I see the "I don't own this/I give full credit to X" disclosure on a lot of videos, but I'm not certain one way or the other that affirming that actually protects you. Chances are any videos you post that infringe on copyright law would be taken down and you might be warned, rather than to have your entire channel shut down (unless, maybe, you claim the material as your own).

That was a perfect link you provided and I love Glove and Boots. ♥

Thanks so much Siberian!

Anyway, I already found three of the videos I have on Amazon:

Robot Check

I'm just going to assume that I shouldn't upload any of them. :(

Thanks again for the responses though. :)

 
Sorry to see you inhibited, Addison! But I'm glad to help.
 
Sorry to see you inhibited, Addison! But I'm glad to help.

Okay.

So I tried to upload one video called The Kingdom of Heaven.

After it finished, I received an angry message of unhappiness saying this was rejected because of copyright claims.

I am now in fear of my life. :(
 
Okay.

So I tried to upload one video called The Kingdom of Heaven.

After it finished, I received an angry message of unhappiness saying this was rejected because of copyright claims.

I am now in fear of my life. :(

I remember a time (before Google owned YouTube) that the internet was still free. DMCA trolls are taking over now.

You are technically allowed to upload portions of copyrighted content under the Fair Use Act. Sadly, the current draconian copyright enforcement YouTube has implemented doesn't even allow that except under the most rigid circumstances.
https://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/fair-use.html

You can always try and host the content somewhere else. Maybe try MediaGoblin.