PROPHETS: A BIBLICAL PERSPECTIVE

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 12, 2013
I find the humility of AMOS telling as opposed to those who boast of being a prophet....

Amos...I was no prophet nor the son of a prophet..........Amos 7:14

Those who boast of being a prophet are suspect in the very minimum.....

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
More lies and false accusation ember, dear me. I was actually trying to help crossnote (hence smiley face which you forgot to delete) and you have accused me of causing division and many other things that you think make you look like the innocent one. I have peace about all I write. You however cannot possibly have that same peace because you are making totally false accusations constantly and trying to turn people against me. That in itself is not worrying to me, somewhat to be expected... but in doing so you turn people against the proper teaching jb brought, which he did also to help others.

God sees your heart.
You were trying to help me? Had me fooled. Look, I've been around this ballpark many times and can spot a false prophet from the bleacher section in far center field. But thanks anyways.

Jul 1, 2015
You were trying to help me? Had me fooled. Look, I've been around this ballpark many times and can spot a false prophet from the bleacher section in far center field. But thanks anyways.
Crossnote let me ask you, in posts 35, 39 and 40...do you really truly honestly think I wasn't trying to help you? Please read them again without the lies of ember ringing in your ears. You see when someone comes in with the mud-slinging and false accusations, no one remembers anything but that, so the focus is shifted...and of course the damage is done.

Anyone can read my three relevant posts to you above, and please do come back and show me why you think I was not helping you?

This comes up time and time again. Someone who made an unkind remark to Russ (who also is constantly trying to help others on here) said that it was the pot calling the kettle black, meaning I am the unkind one. Again, please show me where I have been unkind without the noise of others' accusations ringing in your ears? Just bring the evidence.

I do my best to tell the truth. That does upset people who actually don't want the truth, but whatever.

It really isn't me who is creating division: it is the one who is accusing me of such. This is something called "projecting" and is a form of bullying and emotional abuse.

The bottom line is, there can be NO unity outside of the Holy Spirit, and NO ONE has the Holy Spirit unless they are born again. Having said that, there are major demons which do seduce even the children of God, if they will not humble themselves before Him. The church is in a very bad state when people speak lies and say God told them so.

L

ladylynn

The Words of a true prophet are from God ...no practice needed. You are just making excuses for false prophets to be wrong at times.

Just began reading some of this thread and had a major belly laugh at your post. Mind you I'm not as into this thread as all of you but found your post extremely funny in it's honest simplicity. ;)

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Crossnote let me ask you, in posts 35, 39 and 40...do you really truly honestly think I wasn't trying to help you? Please read them again without the lies of ember ringing in your ears. You see when someone comes in with the mud-slinging and false accusations, no one remembers anything but that, so the focus is shifted...and of course the damage is done.

Anyone can read my three relevant posts to you above, and please do come back and show me why you think I was not helping you?

This comes up time and time again. Someone who made an unkind remark to Russ (who also is constantly trying to help others on here) said that it was the pot calling the kettle black, meaning I am the unkind one. Again, please show me where I have been unkind without the noise of others' accusations ringing in your ears? Just bring the evidence.

I do my best to tell the truth. That does upset people who actually don't want the truth, but whatever.

It really isn't me who is creating division: it is the one who is accusing me of such. This is something called "projecting" and is a form of bullying and emotional abuse.

The bottom line is, there can be NO unity outside of the Holy Spirit, and NO ONE has the Holy Spirit unless they are born again. Having said that, there are major demons which do seduce even the children of God, if they will not humble themselves before Him. The church is in a very bad state when people speak lies and say God told them so.
I can't judge you're motives. You were 'trying' to help me, ok, if you say so.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Just began reading some of this thread and had a major belly laugh at your post. Mind you I'm not as into this thread as all of you but found your post extremely funny in it's honest simplicity. ;)
Yes it is funny/sad. I've heard of stories where these individuals are excused while 'learning' the art of prophesying. That just doesn't fly in my book.

L

ladylynn

Well I suppose one should study the scriptures and inspect their sayings to see if they are actually trying to push a so-called "new" revelation or if they are merely saying in a different manner of speaking that which has been revealed all ready, being Jesus.

This topic is very interesting. I think there are no new prophecies but its a matter of people given the gifts of interpretations like drawing out truths of Jesus from the Bible as they know individuals in the church body and become friends. Some may have a 'word' for someone in order to help them see either the error of their ways before they fall flat on their face or to encourage them on the path that the Lord has set their feet on by giving them sort of a 'word' of encouragement. Being verified in your walk is so helpful and encouraging.

All within the body to build each one up in Christ for oh so many reasons including to be a light and testimony in the world for Christ to bring the Gospel to a dying world in our communities. But to also build each other up in the faith. He surely knew we needed to be sharpened by each other with truth and encouragement. There is just something about Christian fellowship that brings this GIANT JOY to the inner parts of our being. Human's have this great need to share and interact with each other.

The Bible gives us a wonderful view of the people in the church and their gifts in 1 Cor.12 What an amazing organization the church body is!!! No wonder the gates of hell shall not prevail against her. And then how in 1 Cor.13 it goes on to explain the love of God in us that will make it all work together.

I

Is

That's pretty much where I am wondering with my question. To put it another way, is prophet like a stratified and distinct office, or is it more like a gift that any Christian can utilize? I am not too sure on the answer, though I kind of lean more towards what you conclude here that there may be distinct prophets that go about specific prophetic tasks (such as the OT prophets), and at the same time everyone can prophesy, as it is the spirit of prophesy is the testimony of Jesus.

I'm not settled though on the conclusion, but it is worth studying I believe. I like your answers.
Prophetic Function

"Robertson observes: "The prophets had a practical office to discharge. It was part of their commission to show the people of God 'their transgressions and the house of Jacob their sins' (Isa.58:1; Ekek.22:2, 43:10; Mic.3:8). They were, therefore, pastors and ministerial monitors of the people of God. It was their duty to admonish and reprove, to denounce prevailing sins, to threaten the people with the terrors of divine judgement, and to call them to repentence."

(The New Ungers Bible Dictionary, Merrill F. Unger, third edition c.1966, The Moody Bible Institute of Chicago, pg. 1042)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Yes it is funny/sad. I've heard of stories where these individuals are excused while 'learning' the art of prophesying. That just doesn't fly in my book.
if you can 'learn' something, it's not a miraculous gift.
the same is said of speaking in tongues; there are plenty of 'tutorials' for doing that.

Dec 12, 2013
That bird flies in no book.....especially the bible!

I

Is

if you can 'learn' something, it's not a miraculous gift.
the same is said of speaking in tongues; there are plenty of 'tutorials' for doing that.
There are tutorials on how to speak in tongues?????

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
There are tutorials on how to speak in tongues?????

sure enough.

You Can Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit
at the bottom of this page:
FAQs
also here
https://johngatimu.wordpress.com/regious-views/you-should-speak-in-tongues/
for example.

you might also look into Charles & Frances Hunter's pentecostal revival "ministry" - they traveled around the country hosting seminars and meetings where they teach people not only how to pray and speak in unknown languages, but also purported to 'teach' how to heal. the same business is nowadays carried on by their daughter Joan here:
Hunter Ministries, Charles & Frances Hunter - Joan Hunter Ministries

& the list of youtube tutorials is almost endless.

here's one - with a little blurb celebrating the "teacher" John Fenn.

How to Speak in Tongues - John Fenn | Answers-To-Prayer.com

there are 100's of books on the subject too, i'm guessing giving pretty much the same advice: empty your mind, start speaking nonsense syllables, carefully avoiding any words in any language that you know, and trust that God will sort it out.

Last edited:
I

Is

sure enough.

You Can Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit
at the bottom of this page:
FAQs
also here
https://johngatimu.wordpress.com/regious-views/you-should-speak-in-tongues/
for example.

you might also look into Charles & Frances Hunter's pentecostal revival "ministry" - they traveled around the country hosting seminars and meetings where they teach people not only how to pray and speak in unknown languages, but also purported to 'teach' how to heal. the same business is nowadays carried on by their daughter Joan here:
Hunter Ministries, Charles & Frances Hunter - Joan Hunter Ministries

& the list of youtube tutorials is almost endless.

here's one - with a little blurb celebrating the "teacher" John Fenn.

How to Speak in Tongues - John Fenn | Answers-To-Prayer.com

there are 100's of books on the subject too, i'm guessing giving pretty much the same advice: empty your mind, start speaking nonsense syllables, carefully avoiding any words in any language that you know, and trust that God will sort it out.

I ain't believen this! I told D one time that I thought some of our toungsters were off PM each other in tongues and I told him it is possible, all you have to do is let a cat walk all over your keyboard. :p

E

ember

Russ, when you say you're an apostle, and someone calls you out on it, they're not arguing against scripture. no scripture says "Russ is an apostle." they're contending with your words alone. Christ appointed 12 apostles, and called Paul to take Judas' place -- and we know their names, and none of them happen to be you. maybe it would be edifying for us all if you made a new thread and explained why you think you are an apostle.

as far as this thread, why don't you explain why you think Hebrews 1:1-2 contradicts 1 Corinthians, or answer my questions about what a prophet in the OT sense provided access to that is not available to all believers, or explain how your assertion that prophets in the NT era do not foretell future doesn't contradict the example i posted of Agabus in Acts 11:27-30?

because if you really are a pastor, a teacher, a prophet, and more than all that an apostle --
shouldn't you be revealing the mysteries of God instead of spilling curses out of your mouth?
this thread was trying to determine the nature of prophets from what we can see written in the scripture. if you're really the authority on it, please don't waste your time accusing me without explanation, and think you're done with it just because 'Russ has spoken.' show me what i said that was wrong, and show us all the correct way, ok?
like an actual apostle would do.

shouldn't you be revealing the mysteries of God instead of spilling curses out of your mouth?

I've been asking that same question since he started posting!

Last edited:
E

ember

More lies and false accusation ember, dear me. I was actually trying to help crossnote (hence smiley face which you forgot to delete) and you have accused me of causing division and many other things that you think make you look like the innocent one. I have peace about all I write. You however cannot possibly have that same peace because you are making totally false accusations constantly and trying to turn people against me. That in itself is not worrying to me, somewhat to be expected... but in doing so you turn people against the proper teaching jb brought, which he did also to help others.

God sees your heart.

Nah..you were not trying to help anyone. You were trying to shut down the thread because people are expressing their own thoughts here instead of mirroring yours

You must think we serve a weak God if my little attempts at discussing the infinite are somehow going to make a dent in the truth that is God

I am not accusing you of anything. You DO cause division and you DO spoil discussions and you DO have an agenda

You do not hand out peace miss and neither do I. We have the peace of God which passes all understanding

See, there are believers here...people who follow Christ and you had nothing to do with it and those are the people I want to speak to and have fellowship with

The truth is that you came and posted here trying to steer folks to another site to read and possibly study something that may or may not be helpful...you didn't write it, so who knows

I will expose the false whenever I come across it. I can't do otherwise. Seems there are others here that have the same ability.

E

ember

posthuman

so this Agabus had already been 'tested' according to Deuteronomy, having by the Spirit foretold events that were proven to come to pass. Claudius (according tobiblehub) reigned from 37-41 AD and Paul's journey back to Jerusalem took place around 53-58 AD.

it can also be pointed out though, as a criticism of this view, that in Acts 20 Paul only knew that 'hardship' was waiting for him, but through the Spirit Agabus told him of the specific hardship - being bound, and by implication, arrested.

it's not recorded how this Agabus presented himself in the intervening years - whether he went around with "i'm a prophet of God" embroidered on his tunic or not, for example, but such an idea seems contrary to the meekness that's encouraged in many other places. it does seem clear that he had a reputation by the time of Acts 20, and in Acts 11 he's identified with a group of 'prophets' that came from Jerusalem.
I would agree with the above

Paul certainly didn't reject the message and it does not seem the message was intened to direct so much as to inform, or, as you say, confirm

seems Paul already had his mind made up so I guess we can peak behind the scenes abit if inclined or see it as presented

either way, there is not bragging or insisting that the prophet be listend to or else you won't go to heaven

moving right along

E

ember

posthuman again

that's rubbish IMO

never ever empty your mind and trust that what follows is God

it most likely will not be God unless you hear something along the lines of:

WAKE UP AND GO AND RENEW YOUR MIND ACCORDING TO MY WORD!

eastern religions are advocates of the empty mind and of course so is new age which by now is old age

Jun 5, 2015
Convallaria and I have not boasted about anything. We have not demanded that people should listen to us. Yet there are those who are either threatened, fearful, or jealous and see us as prophets who need to be killed. We have not spoken curses against these people as they have cursed us. Anyone can check all the thread we have posted on and see that we have been maligned just because of who we are. We have not launched these vicious attacks. People have created straw men from their imagination and placed lying words in our mouth we didn't say. What kind of person does this? If people want to disagree with us, that's just fine. However, disagreeing with us is not where it stops and they seek to slur our character. Instead of allowing peace to prevail they spit venom. We have stood up against the bulling and false allegations in self defense. We are not going to lay down and let them slay us. Paul stated his office was not accepted by others even in his time, so it would not be surprising that people today would have the same rejections of the Apostles and Prophets of God.

So we match the biblical perspective about prophets, because we are hated without cause just like all before us.

Lancelot

Mar 19, 2015
The ministry of the prophet (and apostle) is still in effect today. But the New Testament prophet is different from the Old Testament prophet. This is where people get confused. Nobody today is saying "90 days and New York will be destroyed!". Nobody today is giving revelation in the sense that Paul, Peter, James, John, and Jude did in writing epistles to the church. But people can still receive revelation that is relevant to the hearer and speak forth prophetically as the Spirit wills. Read Prophets and Prophesying for more insight.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
posthuman again

that's rubbish IMO

never ever empty your mind and trust that what follows is God

it most likely will not be God unless you hear something along the lines of:

WAKE UP AND GO AND RENEW YOUR MIND ACCORDING TO MY WORD!

eastern religions are advocates of the empty mind and of course so is new age which by now is old age

absolutely. Paul does say that speaking in a unknown tongue edifies the one speaking - but not the listener, unless it's interpreted. but he also explains that what edification is never separate from understanding - if you are proud to be speaking in a way that even you do not understand, how can you say that you're edifying yourself? so when he says 'unknown' here, isn't it unknown to the hearer, not the speaker? the Spirit groans in us with words that can't be spoken, but we understand, even though we can't express it. this is not the same as purposefully being unintelligible, and i do sincerely hope that no one here who claims to speak in tongues is talking about the "method" outlined in all those links, which is nothing more than sowing confusion, because we will reap what we sow.

So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding;
I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.
(1 Corinthians 14:15)