The Language Barrier

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
So,if you can leelee..name a famous actor or musician your accent would sound similar to,so I can get an idea.
Sadly I cannot, there are none from Shetland or Orkney
I also sound totally different depending on what I am doing. In my head I think in Shetland dialect, out loud can be different. If I am speaking to my Shetland family I sound Shetlandish, Orkney family: sound Orcadian, Church people or others down here, sound very generic Scots with a hint of Glasgow and all the others.

So, Shetland dialect has some very different words. Peerie means small (Peedie in Orkney), muckle means big, shilpit means sour, paloovious means really drunk, smoorikins means kisses, moorie kavvie means blizzard, obstopolous means grumpy. I could go on forever. I am not going to but, I wouldn't say "I don't know" I would say "I dinna kean".

I

iTOREtheSKY

lol..I like some of those. Cute!;)

S

SeatBelt

errr.... I actually sometimes say "I dinna kean"
couldn't say for sure why I do.

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
lol..I like some of those. Cute!;)
Did you just call the language stemming from the Old Norse used by the Vikings who went on big killing and pillaging sprees "cute"?

I

iTOREtheSKY

Did you just call the language stemming from the Old Norse used by the Vikings who went on big killing and pillaging sprees "cute"?
Indeed I did! lol

I

iTOREtheSKY

Pfffft I've hung out & drank with the guys from Manowar,I think I can handle your friends! lol:)

W

wwjd_kilden

When I moved from the west of Norway to the southeast, most of the kids there didn't understand me. I never had problems understanding them though, so I think it was a matter of wanting or not.

I love Scottish. I wish I could pronounce their R's. Ironically they are closer to Norwegian R's that the ones I use when I talk English.... I guess I am too used to American accents, and now I can't change them (aaaargh!). I try to write British rather than American, but in some cases I just don't know who use what words (i.e. Pavement vs Sidewalk).

B

BarlyGurl

The only accents I have a real problem understanding are peeps from the deep south...but not all parts of the deep south,I dunno...I think I have deep seeded issues or something.lol
Bayou english... bunch of mutterers... mmmmmm.

I

iTOREtheSKY

LOL....mutterers.

C

christiancollegegirl

lol Astrid! There's some English people that come into my McDonalds sometimes. it always makes me smile to hear them talk cus it sounds so awesome. it's definitely much better than the plain boring way we talk here.

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
leelee, I want to visit Scotland and hear you all speak. I'd probably have no idea what you were saying, I'd just sit there all wide-eyed and happy. :D

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
leelee, I want to visit Scotland and hear you all speak. I'd probably have no idea what you were saying, I'd just sit there all wide-eyed and happy. :D
I just get the image of scotty or dr carson from Stargate atlantis in my head.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
When I was growing up a couple moved into my neighbor, she is English ,he is American. They didn't have children and they loved having me over. She taught me how to bake and garden.

Anyhow I started talking like my English friend. I would go home and stuff like, Throw it in the bin, I'm going to the loo.
. I would tell my brother he was full of rubbish. I think I drove my family crazy for a while.

Last edited:
M

MissCris

I've been trying to teach my cats to speak with a Jamaican accent.

Something about this isn't working.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
I have 2 cats, when I ask if they're hungry I would love it if they said , ya man. lol

R

Relena7

No, only some do that. I say sloth and three and thief and thought, there are many accents in the UK. Some with better pronunciation than others.
Aww crud I just became a "that person". >_<

I didn't mean to make it sound like everyone from the UK talks the same. That is how my English BF talks. I guess I should have pointed that out. :eek: