1 John 5:8 - What is the "water" that bears witness?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
In 1John 5:8, the Spirit and the water appear to be two distinctly different
things; whereas in John 7:37-39 they appear to be one and the same.

It's my guess that the Spirit is the source of the water and that's why they
are tied together in John 7:37-39.

But still: what is this water dispensed by the Spirit?

Well; first off we have to accept that it's not water for bathing, nor laundry,
nor baptizing, nor irrigation. It's strictly for drinking, i.e. a beverage.

And it's not a natural kind of water because if it was, you could go and dip it
out of a river or a pond or lake which of course would be futile because
according to John 4:13 you'd just have to go and do it again 'cause nobody
can get by with just one helping of natural water. You've got drink more later
on or risk death from dehydration

The water is neither collected nor transported in a container; the woman at
the well saw that right away.

So then, we should settle it that the water Jesus spoke of is supernatural,
plus; it's so effective that folk need only one helping of it.

I propose that the water is life; and not just ordinary life, but eternal life. I
also propose paraphrasing John 3:5 like this:

"I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born
of eternal life and the Spirit."

Now I realize that is an unacceptable paraphrase for sincere folk who
honestly believe the water in that passage should be construed to mean
ritual baptism. Well; I'm just proposing, not insisting; but at the same time
feel compelled to point out that of the four gospels; John's is where eternal
life is emphasized the most; it's a recurring theme.

How crucial is the possession and/or the non possession of eternal life? Well
according to 1John 5:11-12, people lacking eternal life are also lacking God's
son, i.e. they are quite christless; which can't be a good thing.
_
So how do you posses eternal life?

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
So how do you posses eternal life?

In a nutshell: By drinking the living water that Jesus spoke of. In other
words: eternal life is not something that can be rubbed on nor splashed on;
it has to be ingested, so to speak.

Rev 22:17 . .The Spirit and the bride say: Come. And let him who hears
say: Come. Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him
take the free gift of the water of life.
_

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
So then, how do we go about "ingesting" this living water?

Well; seeing as how this particular water is supernatural then we can't very
well put it in a cup or a mug; so the next best course of action is to simply
request it, and go from there.

John 4:10 . . Jesus answered and said to her: If you knew the gift of God,
and who it is who says to you "Give me a drink" you would have asked him,
and he would have given you living water.

The "gift of God" is the lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world in
accord with Isa 53:6 which says:

"We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way;
and The Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all."

The "who it is that says to you" is he that was born king of the Jews. (Luke
1:32-33)

John 4:25-26 . .The woman said: I know that Messiah (called Christ) is
coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us. Then Jesus
declared: I who speaks to you am he.

So: if you're comfortable that there is indeed such a thing as living water,
and comfortable that Jesus is the lamb of God, and also comfortable that he
was born king of the Jews; then I highly recommend following Jesus'
instructions by first finding yourself a private place. When there cover your
face with your hands for a feeling of privacy, and simply speak aloud in so
many words:

"Messiah Jesus I would like to take you up on your offer of this living water.
This is me requesting it. Thank you."

If he grants your request, and gives you that living water; you'll never have
to ask him again.

John 4:13-14 . . Jesus replied: People soon become thirsty again after
drinking [the woman's] water. But the water I give them takes away thirst
altogether. It becomes a perpetual spring within them, giving them eternal
life.
_

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
John 4:13-14 . . Jesus replied: People soon become thirsty again
after drinking [the woman's] water. But the water I give them takes away
thirst altogether. It becomes a perpetual spring within them, giving them
eternal life.

The "perpetual spring" is of course the Spirit that Jesus spoke of at John
7:37-39.
_

Aug 2, 2021
Please consider from the passage below (I John 5:5-12)

1Jn 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
Testimony Concerning the Son of God
1Jn 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
1Jn 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
1Jn 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
1Jn 5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
1Jn 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
1Jn 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
1Jn 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

Firstly, the theme of this passage is summed up in verse 11: that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and we have eternal life through Him.
So this is the thing that is being borne witness of in verse 8.
Verse 8 says that in the Earth there are three things that bear witness of this: the Spirit, the water, and the blood. The Spirit is God's Holy Spirit living in every believer, and it convinces us that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. The blood is the shed blood of Jesus Christ, which like the blood of Cain, cries unto God from the ground and from the mercy seat where it was spilled (I think).

But what is the water mentioned in verse 8 and how does it bear witness of Jesus Christ and eternal life?

Feel free to use lots of Bible verses and also to challenge anything I have written which seems incorrect to you.

This is the Water that bears Witness = John chapter 4 and Acts

When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Give Me a drink.” 8(His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)
9“You are a Jew,” said the woman. “How can You ask for a drink from me, a Samaritan woman?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)c
10Jesus answered, “If you knew the gift of God and who is asking you for a drink, you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.”
11“Sir,” the woman replied, “You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where then will You get this living water? 12Are You greater than our father Jacob, who gave us this well and drank from it himself, as did his sons and his livestock?”
13Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again. 14But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a fount of water springing up to eternal life.”
15The woman said to Him, “Sir, give me this water so that I will not get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.”
16Jesus told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.”

Everyone overlooks this part = “Go, call your husband and come back.”

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
But what is the water mentioned in verse 8 and how does it bear witness of Jesus Christ and eternal life?
The Scripture you posted in OP ---I think -----! John 5 verse 6 --gives you your answer -----

Amplified Bible
This is He who came through water and blood [His baptism and death], Jesus Christ—not by the water only, but by the water and the blood. It is the [Holy] Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. [He is the essence and origin of truth itself.]

Feb 21, 2016
Psalm 107 is written about their return from exile in Babylon.Check what it says on verse 19-20.

"Then they cry onto the Lord in their trouble ,and he saveth them out of their distresses.He sent his word,and healed them,and delivered them from their destruction."

Psalm 119:9-11
Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way?by taking heed thereto according to thy word.With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wonder from thy commandments.Thy word I have hid in mine heart,that I might not sin against thee.

Psalm 119:25
My soul cleaveth unto the dust:Quicken thou me according to thy word.

Proverbs 2:1-6
My son,if tho wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom,and apply thine heart to understanding;Yea,if thou criest after knowledge ,and liftest up thy voice for understanding,If thou seekest her as sliver,and searchest for her as for hid treasures;Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord,and find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord giveth wisdom:eek:ut of his mouth comes knowledge and understanding

The whole of Proverbs 2 is a good read.

The water JStates is asking about is not the water of baptism,but the word of God.The Scriptures.Who are the Two Witnesses of Revelation.(OT/NT)
Kind of didn't want to mention TTW, but the quotes Jstates brings up relate to it.There's plenty of scripture that testify to it.You can count on one hand the scripture that people bring up when thinking TTW are somebody else.

One more good one.
Isaiah 43:7-12
"Even everyone that is called by my name:for I have created him for my glory ,I have formed him;yea,I have made him.Bring forth the blind people that have eyes,and the deaf people that have ears.
Let all nations be gathered together,and let the people be assembled:who among them can declare this,and show us former things?Let them bring forth their witnesses,that they may be justified:eek:r let them hear and say it is truth".

Who among them can declare this and show us former things?Who is 'them' bringing forth their witnesses?and who are the witnesses?
God declares and reveals through 'them,'the Remnant, who in turn testify the word of God.Like How Moses was a mouth piece for God.
In Revelation 14 and 11 it is the same thing.That's why Jesus is there with the 144k.The rushing waters and the peal of thunder is a hint.They will be filled with the spirit of God and bringing forth their 'Two Witnesses'

(continued)
Ye are my witnesses,saith the Lord,and my servant whom I have chosen:that ye may know and believe me,and understand that I am he:Before me there was no God formed,neither shall there be after me.
I,even I am the Lord;and beside me there is no saviour.
I have declared ,and have saved,and I have shewed ,when there was no strange god among you:Therefore ye are my witnesses,saith the Lord,that I am God.

Feb 21, 2016
Psalm 107 is written about their return from exile in Babylon.Check what it says on verse 19-20.

"Then they cry onto the Lord in their trouble ,and he saveth them out of their distresses.He sent his word,and healed them,and delivered them from their destruction."

Psalm 119:9-11
Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way?by taking heed thereto according to thy word.With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wonder from thy commandments.Thy word I have hid in mine heart,that I might not sin against thee.

Psalm 119:25
My soul cleaveth unto the dust:Quicken thou me according to thy word.

Proverbs 2:1-6
My son,if tho wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom,and apply thine heart to understanding;Yea,if thou criest after knowledge ,and liftest up thy voice for understanding,If thou seekest her as sliver,and searchest for her as for hid treasures;Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord,and find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord giveth wisdom:eek:ut of his mouth comes knowledge and understanding

The whole of Proverbs 2 is a good read.

The water JStates is asking about is not the water of baptism,but the word of God.The Scriptures.Who are the Two Witnesses of Revelation.(OT/NT)
Kind of didn't want to mention TTW, but the quotes Jstates brings up relate to it.There's plenty of scripture that testify to it.You can count on one hand the scripture that people bring up when thinking TTW are somebody else.

One more good one.
Isaiah 43:7-12
"Even everyone that is called by my name:for I have created him for my glory ,I have formed him;yea,I have made him.Bring forth the blind people that have eyes,and the deaf people that have ears.
Let all nations be gathered together,and let the people be assembled:who among them can declare this,and show us former things?Let them bring forth their witnesses,that they may be justified:eek:r let them hear and say it is truth".

Who among them can declare this and show us former things?Who is 'them' bringing forth their witnesses?and who are the witnesses?
God declares and reveals through 'them,'the Remnant, who in turn testify the word of God.Like How Moses was a mouth piece for God.
In Revelation 14 and 11 it is the same thing.That's why Jesus is there with the 144k.The rushing waters and the peal of thunder is a hint.They will be filled with the spirit of God and bringing forth their 'Two Witnesses'

(continued)
Ye are my witnesses,saith the Lord,and my servant whom I have chosen:that ye may know and believe me,and understand that I am he:Before me there was no God formed,neither shall there be after me.
I,even I am the Lord;and beside me there is no saviour.
I have declared ,and have saved,and I have shewed ,when there was no strange god among you:Therefore ye are my witnesses,saith the Lord,that I am God.
Sorry.I don't know how those emotes got on there.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
Please consider from the passage below (I John 5:5-12)

1Jn 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
Testimony Concerning the Son of God
1Jn 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
1Jn 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
1Jn 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
1Jn 5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
1Jn 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
1Jn 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
1Jn 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

Firstly, the theme of this passage is summed up in verse 11: that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and we have eternal life through Him.
So this is the thing that is being borne witness of in verse 8.
Verse 8 says that in the Earth there are three things that bear witness of this: the Spirit, the water, and the blood. The Spirit is God's Holy Spirit living in every believer, and it convinces us that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. The blood is the shed blood of Jesus Christ, which like the blood of Cain, cries unto God from the ground and from the mercy seat where it was spilled (I think).

Feel free to use lots of Bible verses and also to challenge anything I have written which seems incorrect to you.
The water of baptism.

(had to give @Dino246 the customary blot, however).

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
How petty of you. When you grow up, you will learn that disagreeing just for entertainment is stupid and worthless.
So, grow up so that you can learn this very important lesson.

Feb 21, 2016
Sorry.I was wrong.The water is the baptism.The Blood is the death of Jesus.Both were for the washing of sins.The Spirit is the word of God.Makes more sense now.:)

Feb 21, 2016
Ephesians 6:17
And take the helmet of salvation ,and the sword of the spirit,which is the word of God.

So you know what that means right?The Two Witnesses of Revelation are the word of God.The Water and the blood.All 3 of them testify it as truth.The scriptures I've provided still belong in this thread.Honestly,God's word is amazing.John 5:9 really rings out after seeing things a little clearer.

If we receive the witness of men,the witness of God is greater:for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his son.