2 Cor. 3:6. Explain, the letter kills, but the spirit gives life.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Can you say "Leading question" boys and girls?

Jan 17, 2020
“He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant. This is a covenant not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old written covenant ends in death; but under the new covenant, the Spirit gives life.” 2 Corinthians 3:6 (NLT)

“[It is He] Who has qualified us [making us to be fit and worthy and sufficient] as ministers and dispensers of a new covenant [of salvation through Christ], not [ministers] of the letter (of legally written code) but of the Spirit; for the code [of the Law] kills, but the [Holy] Spirit makes alive.” 2 Corinthians 3:6 (AMP)

Nov 16, 2019
The law arouses the sin within us, and it is that sin that kills us, not the law that revealed it:

5For when we were in the realm of the flesh, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death.
7 What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not!
8 But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting.
9 when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died.
11 ...sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death.

Romans 7

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Is the Law sinful?
No the Law isn't sinful.

OP: 2 Cor. 3:6. Explain, the letter kills, but the spirit gives life.

2 Cor 3:7 (A) But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
(NOTE: The ministration of death/law engraved in stones purpose was to expose & without mercy condemn sin. Post sin payment & resurrection is the end of the law for righteousness to all that believe (Rom 10:4)

Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
(NOTE: (NOTE: Faith placed in Christ's sin payment & resurrection REDEEMS believers from the LAW/ministration of death's curses (Deut 28:15-65) & condemnation)

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
(NOTE: Sin is the transgression of God's law)

We've all sinned/broken God's law & deserve the sentence invoked in (Rom 6:23 DEATH). No one can say he is not a sinner until some means is provided (not to take away the law) but to remove the sin, which is the transgression of the law.

Matt 7:21 Jesus said; Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; "but he that doeth the will of my Father" which is in heaven.
(NOTE: He that does the will of my Father, shall enter the kingdom of heaven)

What is the will of the Father?

John 6:40 Jesus said; This is the will of him that sent me, that every one which "seeth the Son, and believeth on him" may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
(NOTE: The will of the Father is: BELIEVE in the Son's redemptive sin atoning sacrifice)

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
(NOTE: Believers that have harkened to the will of the Father, are no longer under the LAWS/ministration of death's curses (Deut 28:15-65) & condemnation)

2 Cor 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
(NOTE: Our sins will not be IMPUTED onto us & we're reconciled to God. When we place our faith in Jesus sin atoning sacrifice. Found in His death (sins required wage PAID), burial (proof Jesus died) & resurrection (Fathers receipt, sins payment received & accepted). (See 1 Cor 15:1-4, Rom 10:9-10)

2 Cor 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
(NOTE: Jesus exchanged His sinless righteousness for our sinfulness. And thru faith we become the righteousness of God in Christ)

While the Temple was operating the High Priest had authority to impute/transfer sin (Lev 16:21). Christ is our Great High Priest (Heb 4:14) & has even greater authority to impute sin & righteousness (Rom 4:3-8).

Feb 29, 2020

The letter kills (the one in the flesh); the Spirit gives the believer the ability to be spiritual as the spiritual law removing the conflict between the spiritual law versus the carnal man.

Romans 7:5-6
[5] For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. [6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Romans 8:2-4
[2] For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. [3] For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: [4] That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Feb 28, 2016
Is the Law sinful?
=========================
you should have already been 'banned'!!!

this 'site' is becoming a JOKE!!!
where is our 'old ROBO'???
Lord, please, assure us that HE and HIS
haven't SOLD us all OUT!!!

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
The Law is too high of a standard for sinful men to reach. Therefore, everyone who tries to follow it fails.

Those who fail at their work at the law receive the curse. Therefore, condemnation and death.

The Spirit is what grows the fruit that is the ACTUAL obedience to the standard of the Law. Therefore, the Spirit gives Life. This obedience that is caused by the Spirit is also part of the Blessing that is given by God. It doesn't come from us. It is the Gift of God.

When a person comes to Christ and abides in His Righteousness that is when the fruit is grown by the Spirit.

John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

So, in the end, the ONLY way to follow the law is to abandon your work and focus on the law and instead work on focusing on the Lord Jesus Christ and His Gift that He gives to those who believe in Him.

Kind of weird that your work at righteousness is what condemns you. And if you just give up your work and receive what the Lord offers THAT is when you become the Righteousness of God and instead of being condemned you are being Blessed.

They aren't my rules. If it were up to me it would be cage matches that determined righteousness or condemnation...

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
According to Paul, our Faith establishes the law. According to Jesus and John, we are to obey the commandments, and the law will never be abolished f while there remains a sun and a moon..

Now, the twist is to understand the law now as fulfilled and taught by Jesus-Yeshua, Himself, and dnot to abandon it completely.

According to our Lord and god, we are never to observe any law that does not contain faith, mercy and justice.. This means obey any and all laws that make up Love. They should be right there on your hearts, but if not, ask our Savior.

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
=========================
you should have already been 'banned'!!!

this 'site' is becoming a JOKE!!!
where is our 'old ROBO'???
Lord, please, assure us that HE and HIS
haven't SOLD us all OUT!!!
Now, now, calm down. The reason for the question is that 2Corinthians 3: 6 says that the letter kills, and the "letter" refers to the 10 Commandments, in which the 6 commandment says "thou shall NOT kill". To explain it, the masses could not fully keep the 10 commandments' and so were unprofitable, and without the keeping of the Law death would be the result. But the New Covenant, by Grace through Faith, initiated at conversion by the Spirit, was not an "ongoing salvation," by trying to keep the Law, but instantaneousness at conversion. Thus, the Law kills, but the Spirit gives Life.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Do not fret. There is no hatred in the Ten commandments, they all are demonstrations of love and respect for others, for God, and for ourselves too.
Anyone who thinks the Ten are no longer, are no longer in the love of God, rather a law unto himself.

When we receive the Holy Spirit, life is in all of the text of the Word...…...Without the Spirit it kills. I see this in so many posts by the legalists of today, those who yet see the law as it is fulfilled by our Savior with the veil of Moses blinding them.