A Gentleman

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
I'm definitely not a true gentleman by that definition, lol. I have unhealthy interests I suppose. I like the "I'm a princess, everyone loves me and I'm a spoiled brat that doesn't have any manners type". I interact with that type completely different than I would with someone on CC for example. I won't open doors for them, I will tease them relentlessly, and I won't pay for dinner....and they seem to like it that way......a ladylike type girl though, I'd saw my arm off before I'd let them pay for dinner, I'll always open the door, I'll buy chocolates, etc...
well sort that out then!

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
lol, I try sister. I'm still under construction :p.
i have a question: these not ladylike women who you do not behave as a gentleman with, what is their purpose? why do you pursue them? are you looking for a quick thrill or what? can you see yourself in a meaningful relationship with them? and if not....whats the point?

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
ok it was a few questions lol

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
Comical Answer: He's gentle AND a man. ^^ Let's look at a few of Google's examples (searching 'gentleman'):

Hmm...based off these (and the other bazillion pages of photos) a gentleman is affluent(rich), well dressed/groomed/good-looking, 0_0 predominantly lighter skinned...(Google, what's up with that?!), and based from media/history - Well educated, articulate, traveled, trained in a number of things, and very likely, behind doors, not be as he seems in the public eye.

^_~ There's a lot more to it, but don't ask questions...unless you want to deal with...The Mob.

Serious Answer: TBA

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
clearly also required to have some form of facial hair be it tash bward or side burns lol

J

Jullianna

A gentleman is morally and culturally refined yet superficially primitive in his admiration for and use of force (physical and metaphysical).

Famous real gentleman:

William F. Buckley Jr.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Dr. John MacArthur
Most Presidents with few exceptions.
JP Morgan
Robert E. Lee
Alton Brown
John Cleese

Fictional:

Cary Grant's screen persona.
Ernest Hemingway's persona.
Mr. Darcy (swoon ladies)
Mr. Bennett (cooler than Mr. Darcy)
Lord Grantham (swoon again)
The Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (of the movie Kate and Leopold) (stop swooning) (he doesn't exist) (I do though. ;) )
Razumikhin (Crime and Punishment)
Indiana Jones
James Bond (debatable)
500 cool points awarded for including Mr Darcy :)

V

violakat

A gentleman is one who puts the needs of others before his desires. He shows respect to all, even those who do not deserve it. He is caring, thoughtful, and giving. He may not always have the best manners, but people overlook them around him, because he overlooks their mishaps. He protects those who needs protecting, and is willing to lay his life down for others if it comes to that. He is willing to humble himself and admit fault if he is wrong, but will not compromise on what is right.

A

arwen83

A gentleman is a man who is not afraid to stand up for his girl

D

Donkeyfish07

i have a question: these not ladylike women who you do not behave as a gentleman with, what is their purpose? why do you pursue them? are you looking for a quick thrill or what? can you see yourself in a meaningful relationship with them? and if not....whats the point?
The short answer is that I have no control over who I like whatsoever, either you got it going on or you don't...I can't base who I like on any logical reason or behavior they have. I can usually tell right away if I like somebody. It's not really like they have a special purpose off to themselves or I'm just thrill seeking. I like them and have to see where it goes. If they happen to be the bratty type that thinks they're the queen of sheeba I just know how to take them is all. lol. My playful jerk/joking around side is just a better approach than my sweet/caring side in that kind of situation. There's no way to know if a meaningful relationship is possible till you really get to know someone and spend a lot of time with them in my opinion so it really doesn't cross my mind at all in the initial part of talking to somebody.

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
okay but why would you want a brat? can you imagine what the kids would be like? or is this just a reversal of the whole woman thinks she can change a bad boy thing?

D

Donkeyfish07

okay but why would you want a brat? can you imagine what the kids would be like? or is this just a reversal of the whole woman thinks she can change a bad boy thing?
Honestly there isn't much logic involved. If men weren't stupid when it came to women, we would all still be in the garden of eden. I don't think when I'm infatuated....that's the problem. lol. People can say they base choices like that on logical reasons but I don't think anybody does.

Last edited by a moderator:

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
Honestly there isn't much logic involved. If men weren't stupid when it came to women, we would all still be in the garden of eden. I don't think when I'm infatuated....that's the problem. lol. People can say they base choices like that on logical reasons but I don't think anybody does.
well personally I can be physically attracted to someone but totally steer clear if, for example, they are a serial cheat. I once went on a date with a guy who seemed great! he was nice and funny and I liked him. we went on our date (cimena) and he started making racist comments. as I already had mt ticket I decided to see the film but already I knew I wouldn't see him again. after the film this was totally confirmed when he seemed to think I would be going home with him (I had given him no encouragement on that front I assure you). I went home, told my flatmates all about it and deleted his nimber

D

Donkeyfish07

well personally I can be physically attracted to someone but totally steer clear if, for example, they are a serial cheat. I once went on a date with a guy who seemed great! he was nice and funny and I liked him. we went on our date (cimena) and he started making racist comments. as I already had mt ticket I decided to see the film but already I knew I wouldn't see him again. after the film this was totally confirmed when he seemed to think I would be going home with him (I had given him no encouragement on that front I assure you). I went home, told my flatmates all about it and deleted his nimber
Yea, I agree with you...I'm the same way, I can totally end it with someone no matter how attracted I am if they demonstrate something I can't accept.....That's not really what I'm getting at though.

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
so you accept brat like behaviour. for me I think it would be a deal breaker. I may be missing something though (testosterone perhaps :p )

D

Donkeyfish07

so you accept brat like behaviour. for me I think it would be a deal breaker. I may be missing something though (testosterone perhaps :p )
More than accept, I actually like it. I don't prefer it over more modest type behavior but it has an appeal to me. I don't know why. I won't accept disrespect but I don't mind being tested/teased. Being testy/teasing and doing the whole "Whateeeeever" routine isn't very ladylike but It's something I enjoy. lol. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me.......my only point is that if your dealing with that type......being the traditional gentleman kinda counteracts the tone you want to set. It's a totally different vibe.

R

Relena7

A gentleman... hmmm....I could list a long scary-looking list of specific traits making up "the perfect gentleman ideal" but I think in some cases big lists appear too nitpicky and sometimes a bit scary, lol!

So I'll vague mine down a bit. ;)

A true gentleman is a nice guy who leaves you feeling better when you are done hanging out with him than before you started hanging out.

Someone who makes you feel positive about yourself, and at the same time makes it easy for those who have gotten to know him to see the positive side of him.

Is caring.

Someone who when you think about him a day later, you think fond memories first, not bad ones.

Someone who makes you feel comfortable and doesn't give you an "off" feeling.

Okay and now for my nitpicky sounding one....chews with his mouth closed. :p