A local pastors advice troubles me...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 10, 2020
Scotland
is this the same pastor.

why do you bother asking him when you can just ask God?!

KJV is available free you dont need to necessarily buy it on amazon or watch you tube.

It just shows you the pastor thinks its difficult to read the KJV and he seems to watch you tube a lot.

lol
I was just wondering if people thought what he said was quite odd.

Never mind

Jun 26, 2020
Hey everyone

I’m just going to post this here rather than posting a new thread because it’s a similar situation...

I asked a pastors advice on where to get a King James Bible as I would like to have one. I have an English standard version.

He said he wouldn’t advise on it because it’s difficult to read and there’s a lot of YouTube conspiracy that the King James Version is the best but to take that with a grain of salt.

I’m not judging here or asking on what to do but simply you’re opinion on that statement?
I recommend KJV, MEV and LSV, or any one that is based on Textus Receptus, but literal, maybe for you MEV will be the best Bible, better than KJV, I prefer LSV, but LSV is more difficult to read than even KJV.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Hey everyone

I’m just going to post this here rather than posting a new thread because it’s a similar situation...

I asked a pastors advice on where to get a King James Bible as I would like to have one. I have an English standard version.

He said he wouldn’t advise on it because it’s difficult to read and there’s a lot of YouTube conspiracy that the King James Version is the best but to take that with a grain of salt.

I’m not judging here or asking on what to do but simply you’re opinion on that statement?
Hmm, these might help you:

Also these - http://supernaturalresources.epizy.com/inspired-psalms-126-7-kjb/

Also these - http://www.pearltrees.com/awhn/kjv-bible-vindicated/id1593484

Also here (see text and video files) - Link

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
I was just wondering if people thought what he said was quite odd.

Never mind
His statement is not so much 'odd' (being quite the norm these days, though not in past), as it is 'uninformed'. Show your pastor the materials I provided in the previous post, and allow them to make their own decision. If they choose to not read, view or look, that is up to them, and if they choose to view and still go with their 'modern' translation of corrupt mss, then that is their choice also. Might as well let them be. Some people like the taste of 'dirty water'. They think it has flavour.

Feb 10, 2020
Scotland
His statement is not so much 'odd' (being quite the norm these days, though not in past), as it is 'uninformed'. Show your pastor the materials I provided in the previous post, and allow them to make their own decision. If they choose to not read, view or look, that is up to them, and if they choose to view and still go with their 'modern' translation of corrupt mss, then that is their choice also. Might as well let them be. Some people like the taste of 'dirty water'. They think it has flavour.
Thank you for the video, links and information.

Like I’ve previously said, I’ve only recently started to properly read the Bible and follow the ways of the Lord (trying) so my knowledge is extremely limited.
I don’t know why I got a strange feeling from his message.

Can you explain what you mean please?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Hey everyone

He is 100% percent right! There is nothing wrong with the KJV, if you can understand it. Too many obsolete and changed words for me. And it used only 7 very late corrupted manuscripts as the basis for the text, with many additions and scribal errors. It is simply very imperfect when compared to modern translations. But some people like it for the flowery language, and others because it is comforting and familiar. And that is ok.

But as that pastor said, there is a cult following called KJV - Only! They believe only the KJV is the perfect translation, in English. They point to the fact that the KJV has more verses, so that it means it is better. In fact, those extra verses were added by scribes. Some are just mistakes, others are from side notes, incorporated into the text. Lower textual criticism is well developed. The 6000 extant manuscripts for the NT have all been catalogued, dated, tied to families, and all the textual additions noted as to starting place, and all the manuscripts that followed that error are known.

The KJV is based on the Byzantine manuscripts. These just seemed to spring into being in the 9th and 10 centuries. There is no connection to any earlier texts, esp the earliest ones from the 2nd century, which are closer to the inspired original autographs. So many errors, and no traditions handed down. By the 10th century, Greek was only spoken in the Byzantium empire. Whereas at the time of Christ, everyone spoke Greek, a result of Alexander the Great's plan to Hellenize the world. By the 10th century, it was down to Asia Minor and Greece, having changed form a few timed by then! But not enough to stop scribes busy copying the Greek text over and other places wrote the Bible in their own languages, but the Byzantine copied and recopied the Greek. The result was more manuscripts in Greek, compared to any other family. And despite additions and errors, they were fairly close, the Greek Byzantine copies. Today, people seem to think that more is better. More manuscripts is better. Some say it is proof that God "preserved" his Word. And God did preserve his word! In the sands of the Egyptian deserts where the earliest manuscripts were found, in the caves of Qumran for Hebrew manuscripts. And so on.

But the KJV Onlyist insist only the KJV is pure, by quoting an OT verse, written probably around 600 BC, and applying it to the KJV, first published in 1611, then republished over and over correcting the massive printing errors of those earliest examples of the use of the printing press.

Go to a used bookstore, and you should find a KJV for cheap. But stay away from the cult. Many people have been saved reading the KJV, despite its errors. As for ESV, I've read it a number of times. My Greek professor was in the translation committee. It was supposed to be a "fresh, new version" of the Bible. But, they soon found out that they were to keep to the "traditional" language of the KJV. The Lord's Prayer is significantly different in Greek. The ESV is basically an updated KJV, so really you don't need to buy one.

I would recommend HCSB or the CBS by Holman's Publishing. I'm currently reading the NET (New English Translation) which has 66,000 footnotes. I use the notes as needed, my intent to read all of them failed, because I was getting bogged down.

I hope that helps!

Feb 10, 2020
Scotland
He is 100% percent right! There is nothing wrong with the KJV, if you can understand it. Too many obsolete and changed words for me. And it used only 7 very late corrupted manuscripts as the basis for the text, with many additions and scribal errors. It is simply very imperfect when compared to modern translations. But some people like it for the flowery language, and others because it is comforting and familiar. And that is ok.

But as that pastor said, there is a cult following called KJV - Only! They believe only the KJV is the perfect translation, in English. They point to the fact that the KJV has more verses, so that it means it is better. In fact, those extra verses were added by scribes. Some are just mistakes, others are from side notes, incorporated into the text. Lower textual criticism is well developed. The 6000 extant manuscripts for the NT have all been catalogued, dated, tied to families, and all the textual additions noted as to starting place, and all the manuscripts that followed that error are known.

The KJV is based on the Byzantine manuscripts. These just seemed to spring into being in the 9th and 10 centuries. There is no connection to any earlier texts, esp the earliest ones from the 2nd century, which are closer to the inspired original autographs. So many errors, and no traditions handed down. By the 10th century, Greek was only spoken in the Byzantium empire. Whereas at the time of Christ, everyone spoke Greek, a result of Alexander the Great's plan to Hellenize the world. By the 10th century, it was down to Asia Minor and Greece, having changed form a few timed by then! But not enough to stop scribes busy copying the Greek text over and other places wrote the Bible in their own languages, but the Byzantine copied and recopied the Greek. The result was more manuscripts in Greek, compared to any other family. And despite additions and errors, they were fairly close, the Greek Byzantine copies. Today, people seem to think that more is better. More manuscripts is better. Some say it is proof that God "preserved" his Word. And God did preserve his word! In the sands of the Egyptian deserts where the earliest manuscripts were found, in the caves of Qumran for Hebrew manuscripts. And so on.

But the KJV Onlyist insist only the KJV is pure, by quoting an OT verse, written probably around 600 BC, and applying it to the KJV, first published in 1611, then republished over and over correcting the massive printing errors of those earliest examples of the use of the printing press.

Go to a used bookstore, and you should find a KJV for cheap. But stay away from the cult. Many people have been saved reading the KJV, despite its errors. As for ESV, I've read it a number of times. My Greek professor was in the translation committee. It was supposed to be a "fresh, new version" of the Bible. But, they soon found out that they were to keep to the "traditional" language of the KJV. The Lord's Prayer is significantly different in Greek. The ESV is basically an updated KJV, so really you don't need to buy one.

I would recommend HCSB or the CBS by Holman's Publishing. I'm currently reading the NET (New English Translation) which has 66,000 footnotes. I use the notes as needed, my intent to read all of them failed, because I was getting bogged down.

I hope that helps!
Wow thank you! Very eye opening and much appreciated.

I’m still reading through for the first time. I’m at Joshua 6 but have read most Psalms, Proverbs, Mark and Revelation.

I think I have been over suspicious and as a result a bit judgmental. This has been a lesson learned, all part of the process I suppose!

Thanks to everyone who has replied to me it really is helping a lot!

Jun 26, 2020

I’m still reading through for the first time. I’m at Joshua 6 but have read most Psalms, Proverbs, Mark and Revelation.

I think I have been over suspicious and as a result a bit judgmental. This has been a lesson learned, all part of the process I suppose!

For you to learn the Scriptures quickly, I recommend reading the books of John, Acts of the Apostles and Romans, in that order, and daily reading one or two Psalms.
Jesus is the very Word that comes out of the mouth of God, transformed into a man, read John Chapter 1 and Genesis Chapter 1.
I recommend that in addition to a literal Bible, be it MEV, KJV or LSV, also buy a study Bible.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
... There is nothing wrong with the KJV, if you can understand it.
The KJB is average 5th grade reading level, as per the Flesh-Kincaid standard:

“... [Page 195] The King James Bible ranks easier to read in 23 out of 26 comparisons. (Their formula is: (.39 x average number of [Page 195-196] words per sentence) + (11.8 x average number of syllables per word) – (15.59) = grade level. ...” - New Age Bible Versions, An Exhaustive Documentation Exposing The Message, Men and Manuscripts Moving Mankind To The Antichrist's One World Religion, The New Case Against, The NIV, NASB, NKJV, ESV, HCSB, NRSV, NAB, NET, CEV, GNB, CEB, Living, The Message, New Jerusalem, & New Century, The Latest Research Supporting The Authorized King James Version, by Gail Riplinger, Chapter Eleven, King James For Kids, Page 195-196​

Further more:

"... [PDF page 298] The three things which make a scripture verse easy to “hide” in the “heart” are: 1.) the use of matching letter sounds, 2.) rhythm and meter, and 3.) brevity -- making the words, phrases and verses ‘short and sweet.’ New Age Bible Versions documented thoroughly that the NKJV, [PDF page 298-299] NIV, NASB and all new versions use many, many, many more words and letters to say something than the KJV does. Consequently, the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level Indicator rates the KJV as easiest to read; its reading level is 5th grade, while the NIV is 8th grade level, and the NKJV and NASB are 6th grade level. (See New Age Bible Versions, chapter 11 and The Language of the King James Bible, pp. 96, 115.) Compare the length of the King James Bible text to that of any other version in a Parallel Bible, like The Comparative Study Bible. The KJV is invariably the shortest. It says things using fewer words than any of the corrupt new versions. This brevity reflects the fact that it is a Formal Equivalency, word-for-word translation of the Hebrew and Greek Bibles. It is not a paraphrase. ..." - In Awe Of Thy Word, PDF pages 298-299 - https://ia801404.us.archive.org/34/...er - In Awe Of Thy Word - AVPublications.pdf
For instance, just plugging in John 1:1-21 KJB E-Sword with Division Headings, to the standardized calculator [ https://goodcalculators.com/flesch-kincaid-calculator/ ], we see the following results:

Flesh-Kincaid Grade Level: 2.3
Flesch Reading Ease Score: 95.6
Reading Level: 5th grade ( Very easy to read )​
Average Words per Sentence: 9.6
Average Syllables per Word: 1.2​
Sentences: 46
Words: 441​
While some places in scripture will generally score about the same average across varied translations, the general trend is that all of the more 'modern' (since 1881) translations into English are more difficult to read than the King James Bible, in some places by a few marginal points or grades, and in other places, by major points and differences in grades.

Other language calculators show the same pattern or trend between the KJB and other modern translations into English.

Part of the reason for this is the copyright derivative law. More on that later as needful.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Too many obsolete and changed words for me.
"Too many obsolete ... words"? Like which ones?

If you would read Laurence M Vance's work (which I have on the shelf, read and can directly cite from as needful), "Archaic Words and the Authorized Version" (3rd Ed.) - http://www.vancepublications.com/archaic.htm of which a sample chapter may be seen here - http://www.vancepublications.com/aw_a.pdf and sample appendix here - http://www.vancepublications.com/aw_app1.pdf

It demonstrates that all such words as some think are 'archaic' are still in modern every day use in print, audio and visual works, from newspapers, to blockbuster hollywood movies.

Archaic words? You supposedly mean like these?

abode kernels ancients laden aright lance asunder lusty away with mantle beckon mattock begotten naught bier nurtured bewitched odious bowels osprey calved pangs celestial phylacteries coney plowshare confections rend convince respite cormorant rushes decked soothsayer deride spoil distill suckling dung temperate effect tetrarch estate trafficked forevermore unto fowl usury girdle vaunt hallowed vestments haunt vex heresies wanton infamy yokefellow inasmuch insatiable jeopardy

abase deride heresies pipes temperate abated didst hinds plowshare tenons abode distill importune presbytery teraphim adjure doest impotent principalities tetrarch alms dost inasmuch putrefaction thee ancient doth issue raiment thereon apparel dung jeopardy rampart thine aright effect know ravening thou art eminent laden remission thy asunder engines laud rend timbrel away with estate layer reprobate trafficked backbiting evermore lightness requite travail beget familiar litters riot unto beseech feigned lordly rushes usury bewail fetch lunatic seemly vagabond bewitched firstlings lusty seest valor bondwomen fleshhook mail seethe vaunt bowels footmen maintenance shalt venture breeches forbearance mammon sherd verily brimstone fowl mantle shod vermillion calves fuller maranatha shouldst vex canst gaiety mattock shouldest virtue cleave garners milch smith wanton comely gavest mill solace warp constrains girdle nether soothsayer wayfarers cormorant graven nurtured sore whence couches gross odious speakest wherewith covert guile offscouring stay woof crib handmaid pangs strait wrought dainty harrow paramours suckling yea dearth hast perdition swaddling yonder deck haunt phylacteries tares

abase daubed henceforth principality vestments abode dayspring heresies prognostication vex alms debased immutable psaltery virtue amiss decks impudent quarter visage anise deride inasmuch rampart wanton apparel dispensation issue rid warp aright disquiet jeopardy rifled wayfaring austere distill jot riotous whence away with dung know rushes whereupon backbiters effect laden satiate whet beckoned epistle laud shamefaced winebibber beggarly eventide laver shod woof begot evermore litters smith wrought bemoan familiar lordly soothsayer yea beseech fan lusty spoil yonder bewail feigned mail straits bewitched fetch mammon suckling bittern flanks mantle tares bondwomen flay mattock temperate brimstone footmen mill tenons calves forbearance mite terrestrial carnal foursquare nativity tetrarch celestial fowl offend therein circumspect fuller offscouring timbrel cloven gad omnipotent tittle comeliness godhead or ever unto concourses graven pangs usury confederacy greyhound paramours vagabond convince gross phylacteries valor covert hallowed pipes vehement crib haunts plowshare verity dainties hemlock potentate vermillion

abase disquieted henceforth ravening abate dissembles hoarfrost remission abode distill impudent rend adjuration dromedaries inasmuch riotous alms dung isles rushes apparel effect know sacrilege assuaged enjoined laden satiate asunder ensign lance seethe augment ensues laud sherd away with estate laver sloth backbiting eventide litters smith beget evermore lusty solace beggarly execration mail soothsayer bemoan familiar maintenance stay beseech firmament mantle straits bewail firstling mattock stripling bewitched flagon milch suppliants bier flay mill surfeit bowels footmen naught swaddling calving forbear noontide temperate cleft foursquare obeisance teraphim clemency fowl oblation thereupon comely fuller odious thrice coneys gad or ever timbrel constrains garner pangs trafficked cormorant goodly paramours unshod covert gross perdition crib guile phylacteries dainty hallowed pipes debased haltingly plowshare decked harrow pound delectable haunt rampart

None of those are being cited from the King James Bible [though they exist therein].

Row 1 is the NIV 1973.

Row 2 is the NASB [from revised ASV 1901].

Row 3 is the NKJV 1982.

Row 4 is the NRSV 1999 ["milch"].

What was that argument from "archaic" again? Tell me please ...

And it used only 7 very late corrupted manuscripts as the basis for the text, with many additions and scribal errors.
Myth. Simply not true. I would be glad to demonstrate the accuracy of the texts used in translation for the KJB, compared to the known multitude of emendations in the Codices Aleph (Sinaiticus) and B (Vaticanus), A (Alexandrinus), etc.

The King James Bible has no errors in its preserved words (Psalms 12:6-7, etc). - https://ia801503.us.archive.org/26/items/peter-s-ruckman-the-errors-in-the-king-james-bible/Peter S Ruckman - The 'Errors' in the King James Bible.pdf

It is simply very imperfect when compared to modern translations.
O really? Let's compare then, and I will provide documented evidence from the mss sources themselves, along with the ECF citations, and Lectionaries, ect. Ready?, I am when you are.

But some people like it for the flowery language, and others because it is comforting and familiar. And that is ok.
The language of the King James Bible is second to none. It is a masterpiece in its parallelisms, meter, and accuracy. I can give many demonstrations of this, and show that when compared to similar places in other modern English translations, very much of those things disappears altogether. Ready?

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020

Glad you are still studying. Make sure you do a prayerful and thorough work.

Two things to keep in mind when so studying the matter out:

Pro 18:13 He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.​
Pro 18:17 He that is first in his own cause seemeth just; but his neighbour cometh and searcheth him.​

Feb 10, 2020
Scotland
Glad you are still studying. Make sure you do a prayerful and thorough work.

Two things to keep in mind when so studying the matter out:

Pro 18:13 He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.​
Pro 18:17 He that is first in his own cause seemeth just; but his neighbour cometh and searcheth him.​
Thanks again.

I’m studying everyday by taking notes on lessons learned from verses and looking up explanations for verses I struggle to understand.

Have you any advice for efficient studying?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks again.

I’m studying everyday by taking notes on lessons learned from verses and looking up explanations for verses I struggle to understand.

My advice is consistency. Don't read for 2 hours one day, then not read for a week.

Keep track of whether you read. Reading 3 OT chapters a day and 1 New Testament chapters gets you through the Bible in a year. Then read it a second time, a third, etc every day, every year.

Reading the Bible is a marathon, not a sprint. I don't mean that it is gruelling, but more that that you have to do it daily. You are already reading, great work. Just don't give up. Sometimes the Bible seems boring or too hard or challenging, I think God allows us to be challenged so we can learn persistent, ever when the going gets tough!

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Thanks again.

Vary things up. Reading aloud is quite different than silent reading. Writing out a passage is different than typing. A fancy pen is different than a pencil. Writing on flash cards is different than stationary, etc etc.

None of these are better than another (depending) but memorization is a great foundation and the more creative you are and the less "rote" the better I find. A relationship with the Lord is organic, so changing things up prevents stagnation, boredom, and laziness I find. You know you shouldn't be lazy, you don't want to be bored, and you need to consistently be filled (and consequently overflow) and not stagnate.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
*TIME LIMITED* :(

alas, anyway...you could be the type of person who is able to do 2 chapters a day consistently in order for years at a time. I'm not one of those people.

I think it's wise to have a healthy helping of the more scholarly side of study but for the most part that's supplemental. We are all pretty unique and study scripture a bit differently, you may hear enough of this sort of thing from pastors or being on this site, but there have been a few times where a deeper study into language, culture, or history has been helpful.

There are lots of different ways to study scripture. Breaking down a passage is good. Trying to rewrite it in your own words can be helpful (and stretch your mind to be more active when reading). Active reading requires discipline. Try standing and reading if you like or powerpoints on a wall. Of course, don't neglect friends/family if you can get them to join you, it's usually pretty productive for me...although sometimes too much effort and occasionally we all have different directions we want to go (Like Paul splitting up in Acts).

Btw, that was helpful for me to just type out, reminds me it's about time to start freshening up my approach again :)

Feb 10, 2020
Scotland
@Angela53510 and @Mii great advice thank you both 😃

As of yesterday I’ve set myself to read 10 chapters a day and 15 to a book every Saturday. Not wanting to hurry it but very eager to learn!
I’m finding it more interesting and wanting to read more the more I read. It’s amazing! Praise the Lord.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well I do a Bible study with a friend, I read from KJV and she reads from the Message, but we can still study the Bible together.

Actually in all of my bible study groups everyone seems to have a different version. I just like KJV it doesnt mean everyone else has to have the same as me.

If I could read Hebrew or Greek I would be reading those versions.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Thanks again.

Yes. I have an entire study on how to study the Bible. However, not to overburden, start this way:

“... not I, but Christ ...” [Galatians 2:20],

This means do not come to scripture to obtain what you will, but what God wills for you. Be humble, be prayerful, be submitted to what it says to you.

“Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me [Christ Jesus].” [John 5:39],

Search the scriptures for the right reason, to know eternal life, a person, Jesus Christ, and not merely theory of theology. This eternal life is the living way and not merely mental ascent to a doctrine. It is to come to scripture to learn how to live as Jesus (even God) lives.

“If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.” [John 7:17],

If you come to scripture in the humble heart, you will know truth from error. God promised. We cannot of our ownselves discern between good and evil, right and wrong. It requires the Holy Ghost.

“... Every one that is of the truth heareth my [Christ Jesus'] voice.” [John 18:37]

If you are sincere and true with God, you will understand the will of God for you.

“He [Christ Jesus] must increase, but I must decrease.” [John 3:30],

This is like the saying in Galatians 2:20. When going to the scripture, we are looking for more of God's will, and less of our own carnal desires, and when we do this, His will, becomes our own will, and we love to do that which God asks, as it is always right, true, pure, etc.

“Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.” [1 Thessalonians 5:21],

Test everything by the scripture (KJB), for it is good, but more than this, hold fast to God who is good.

“... in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.” [Matthew 18:16],

Do not merely take one verse or passage and build a doctrine, but take at minimum two and three which are plain and begin there, but do not end there. Take two or three from the OT and from the NT and make sure thy foundation is upon Christ Jesus. To truly understand a word in scripture, search in every place that word is used and read every context, and your mind will have the truth if you accept what it says.

“And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.” [1 Corinthians 14:32],

“... Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper.” [2 Chronicles 20:20],

“To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” [Isaiah 8:20],

“It is written...” [Matthew 4:4],

“... thus saith the LORD ...” [Haggai 2:6],

“... the scripture cannot be broken.” [John 10:35],

“...God, that cannot lie...” [Titus 1:2],

“That by two immutable things, in which [it was] impossible for God to lie...” [Hebrews 6:18],

“All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:” [2 Timothy 3:16],

“The words of the LORD [are] pure words: [as] silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.” [Psalms 12:6],

“[As for] God, his way [is] perfect; the word of the LORD [is] tried: he [is] a buckler to all them that trust in him.” [2 Samuel 22:31],

“[As for] God, his way [is] perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he [is] a buckler to all those that trust in him.” [Psalms 18:30],

“LAMED. For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.” [Psalms 119:89],

And we are warned in Scripture about our correct use of Scripture, and that we are not to “wrest” [2 Peter 3:16], neither mishandle it deceitfully:

“Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.” [Proverbs 30:6]

So also of the Ten Commandments:

“Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish [ought] from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.” [Deuteronomy 4:2]

In the Revelation of Jesus Christ, again [which covers the "Everlasting Gospel" from Creation to Re-Creation, Beginning to End]:

“For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:” [Revelation 22:18]

“And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.” [Revelation 22:19]

For even Balaam knew better, for he wisely said:

“And Balaam answered and said unto the servants of Balak, If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the LORD my God, to do less or more.” [Numbers 22:18]

“If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the commandment of the LORD, to do [either] good or bad of mine own mind; [but] what the LORD saith, that will I speak?” [Numbers 24:13]

Even another messenger of the LORD is clear:

“...Yet no man has a right to add to or subtract from any other book written by inspiration of God. ...” - Early Writings, p. 137.3 or Spiritual Gifts. Volume 1, p. 9.4

Therefore, let us clearly understand that:

“... no prophesy of the scripture is of any private interpretation...” [2 Peter 1:20],

Let us be like the more noble Bereans, which were:

“... more noble than those in Thessalonica...” [Acts 17:11],

even,

“... rightly dividing the word of truth...” [2 Timothy 2:15],

Let us follow the Commandments of Jesus, so that we:

“Quench not the Spirit.” [1 Thessalonians 5:19],

and,

“... grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.” [Ephesians 4:30].

Now let us come together unto God in humility, meekness, supplication and prayer, seeking and asking to know more fully His will, for He says,

“Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD...” [Isaiah 1:18].

There is a lot more.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
My advice is consistency. Don't read for 2 hours one day, then not read for a week.

Keep track of whether you read. Reading 3 OT chapters a day and 1 New Testament chapters gets you through the Bible in a year. Then read it a second time, a third, etc every day, every year.

Reading the Bible is a marathon, not a sprint. I don't mean that it is gruelling, but more that that you have to do it daily. You are already reading, great work. Just don't give up. Sometimes the Bible seems boring or too hard or challenging, I think God allows us to be challenged so we can learn persistent, ever when the going gets tough!
Excellent advice. I also know of persons who read 1 Psalms per day (finish psalms about every 5 months), and 1 proverb per day (finish proverbs per monthish)

Feb 10, 2020
Scotland
Excellent advice. I also know of persons who read 1 Psalms per day (finish psalms about every 5 months), and 1 proverb per day (finish proverbs per monthish)
Thank you for your posts, very helpful.

That’s something I’ve actually been doing! Opening up at a random Psalm and Proverb everyday several times a day (this lockdown has been good for lots of reading and praying)

I’ve another question :ROFL:
I was due for being baptised before the lockdown closed the churches. Who knows when they will reopen now!
Obviously it says in the bible that we are to be baptised so it’s causing me a bit of anxiety (I probably think way too much)

What’s your thoughts on this?