A room of one's own

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
How many of us have a room of our own?

Or do we share. What do you have in your space?

I think its good to have a room of ones own to be creative in, and where you are not disturbed. Everyone ought to have one.
Mine has all my books. It's a reading room. Its also a bed room but its the place I got to pray and shut the door. So I guess its like my prayer closet.

I was out this weekend and there was an open studio down at the arts centre. Its very interesting to see all the different studios and what people do in them. Sadly, I dont really have any space like that. People ask why dont I paint or do arts and crafts or music or dance or bake well I just have nowhere to do that kind of thing. If you do have any kind of space to call your own you are blessed, you can decorate it how you like and just be yourself.

Because I dont really have any space inside I garden outside. I think everyone needs a creative outlet. Why do people grafitti, well they just need to express themselves I reckon.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Well I refer to my little 500 sf apartment as the cinder cave. it's enough for me to cook food, have my bed in the bedroom, clothes and stuff in the closet, and then a dining table big enough to play solo games, serve as the horizontal file, and do any sort of bible study , writing, etc I need to. Other than that I have two recliners and the computer desk which serves as my main enterainment portal, and a couple bookcases for books, DVD's, etc. The bookcases are small, so they don't even hold half the books I own.

I keep hoping to buy a house with a bit more space and then hopefully I can stock a library / reading room. And / Or have a fireplace to read in front of. But in the meantime, my cave serves me well as a place to chill that no one can bother me or tell me that I've got it setup weird or wrong or anything (yes it's atypical, but it serves me well).

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
"Home is where your internet connection is."

Or since I and a lot of other people only have a phone as primary data connection these days...

"Home is where you charge your phone. I mean that other place besides Starbucks."

Or...

"Home is where you don't have to get dressed if you don't wanna."

Feb 28, 2016
a part of my story is, that I was studying The Word of God in my 'own space'
I could not be disturbed - I was learning God's Will - I was learning God's Way -
it was Commanded, ' Study to show yourself a workman approved unto God' -
-
my point is, that I was so 'self-centered' in 'MY-Study', that if my neighbor
needed my Love, he could not have it, because, I WAS so ABSORBED in doing GOD'S WILL,
that I completely MISSED the 'BIG-PICTURE', "to Love my Neighbor as myself"...

as it is written;
'The heart is deceitful above all things, and is desperately wicked".

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I could not be disturbed - I was learning God's Will - I was learning God's Way -
-
needed my Love, he could not have it, because, I WAS so ABSORBED in doing GOD'S WILL,

as it is written;
There is excoriation to be found in anything! :cool:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You mean kind of like Walmart? :unsure:
Is that your room of your own? I thought many people went there, so no. I cant imagine somene having a walmart all to themselves.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
-

as it is written;
Well you dont lock youself in there you do come out eventually to do His will because its not just for yourself. But if you dont have that time with Him where do you find it? If your neighbour did 'need your love' you would just say after ive had my quiet time. Im presuming this is anyone in the house not your next door neighbour.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well I refer to my little 500 sf apartment as the cinder cave. it's enough for me to cook food, have my bed in the bedroom, clothes and stuff in the closet, and then a dining table big enough to play solo games, serve as the horizontal file, and do any sort of bible study , writing, etc I need to. Other than that I have two recliners and the computer desk which serves as my main enterainment portal, and a couple bookcases for books, DVD's, etc. The bookcases are small, so they don't even hold half the books I own.

I keep hoping to buy a house with a bit more space and then hopefully I can stock a library / reading room. And / Or have a fireplace to read in front of. But in the meantime, my cave serves me well as a place to chill that no one can bother me or tell me that I've got it setup weird or wrong or anything (yes it's atypical, but it serves me well).
I always wondered why they were called 'apartments' and not 'togetherments'. The thing is you need to live in the city as you dont really get apartments in the countryside or the suburbs. I think they are kind of nice for just one person to live in but would be kinda squashed for two or three.

Im kinda glad I have my own room that I dont have to share. Growing up I did share with my sister and as she was older naturally she was the boss of it. She always got the top bunk and the first dibs on anything.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Is that your room of your own? I thought many people went there, so no. I cant imagine somene having a walmart all to themselves.
I think some persons don't have it in their personal makeup for some forms of humor to compute.

Lynx had commented that home was a place that you "don't have to get dressed if you don't want to." My reply referencing Walmart was a poke at the fact that people routinely show up in Walmart wearing little more than pajamas.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think some persons don't have it in their personal makeup for some forms of humor to compute.

Lynx had commented that home was a place that you "don't have to get dressed if you don't want to." My reply referencing Walmart was a poke at the fact that people routinely show up in Walmart wearing little more than pajamas.
Oh sorry I must have missed that post.

Well...I worked in retirement villages and there was one rule of the place that people werent allowed out of their apartments in their dressing gowns or pyjamas. Pyjamas are clothes though so maybe lynx is the type of person who doesnt wear any?!

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Oh sorry I must have missed that post.

Well...I worked in retirement villages and there was one rule of the place that people werent allowed out of their apartments in their dressing gowns or pyjamas. Pyjamas are clothes though so maybe lynx is the type of person who doesnt wear any?!
I didn't realize until now that you are from New Zealand. (That's one thing I miss about our old format which had a user's gender and nationality below their user title on every post)

Here in the US "getting dressed" routinely refers to putting on clothes other than what you wear to bed at night or hang around the house in, not necessarily putting on something so you aren't naked. Unfortunately our culture here has become so unsophisticated that it is not at all uncommon to see people at the grocery store or other places of business wearing little more than pajamas.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I share one of the upstairs bedrooms with my wife in our townhome, the one with the balcony with a nice view of the pond.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I didn't realize until now that you are from New Zealand. (That's one thing I miss about our old format which had a user's gender and nationality below their user title on every post)

Here in the US "getting dressed" routinely refers to putting on clothes other than what you wear to bed at night or hang around the house in, not necessarily putting on something so you aren't naked. Unfortunately our culture here has become so unsophisticated that it is not at all uncommon to see people at the grocery store or other places of business wearing little more than pajamas.
Lol in some places its like that.

I have watched the people of walmart you tube video, but must warn you, if you watch it you cant unsee it later.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I share one of the upstairs bedrooms with my wife in our townhome, the one with the balcony with a nice view of the pond.
Do you not have a room of your own though? Thats what the thread is about. Whether its a shed, or studio, or just some room you can call your own.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Do you not have a room of your own though? Thats what the thread is about. Whether its a shed, or studio, or just some room you can call your own.
We do have a spare bedroom but her daughter is currently living with us on a temporary basis so she gets the spare. I guess my space is going out in the balcony upstairs as no one else goes there very much.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
We do have a spare bedroom but her daughter is currently living with us on a temporary basis so she gets the spare. I guess my space is going out in the balcony upstairs as no one else goes there very much.
Thats cool you got a balcony you can put plants there. Have you heard that song 'up on the roof' that used to be my place to go to at lunchtime when I was doing this job that was stuck in the basement of an office with a dozen others working at a computer for 8 hours.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I am tempted to offer to pay somebody to tell Lanolin (since she has me on ignore) that there is a peopleofwalmart.com with quasi-endless pictures to enjoy. :cool:

H

Hamarr

I am tempted to offer to pay somebody to tell Lanolin (since she has me on ignore) that there is a peopleofwalmart.com with quasi-endless pictures to enjoy. :cool:
Does quoting you make your post show up?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Beats me. I don't have anybody on ignore so I can't test the theory.