A website feature to facilitate registered members meeting in-person if they so wish

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 26, 2020
Dear webmaster(s) of ChristianChat.com,

I don't know if I've gone over your website thoroughly enough to see if it has this feature, but I haven't seen anything yet. How about letting all your website members see the general area where other members live in the world? I'm sure members would love to get out now and then (especially when the COVID-19 lockdown is over), and see if there are registered members who live close to them.

Registered members should have the option to disclose their geographical location. The location definitely doesn't have to give away their full street addresses (that's not even safe), but just detailed enough for members to get in their cars and commute to the member they're interested in meeting. And it's a good idea to meet them in public. I always tell people I live in the Palm Springs, CA area because lots of people know where that is. But I'm actually in Thousand Palms, CA which is about 20 minutes' drive away from Palm Springs.

I for one would definitely like to meet other members in-person; members that I've been doing text chats with.

How about coding it into the website? God Bless!

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I believe giving city and state is an option, just one few choose to take.

This is a rather creepy idea, i think. People most likely to meet each other are going to discuss this idea and set it up ahead of time. And know each other well enough to already be familiar with one another and know where one another lives, making this request moot.
I absolutely would Not want to put it out there where I live so some random stranger could decide they want to meet up with me. Again, creepy. And I'm probably less concerned about such things than many here.

Also with teens on this site that would be a risk as well, for providing an open invitation for them to post their location with the chance for it to be searched out by people with questionable motives. Not only putting the teens at risk, but also the potential for legal issues against the site.
And the evidence shows you can't presume to expect teens to make the wisest choices in such matters.

If you want to meet people you're already talking to then why not ask them? Why do you need a publicly posted location to do so?

I've never seen this requested in 9 years. Because no one wants it. Most people on this site are more private about such information and few would use it.

Also the site is built on forum software and that software is not customization friendly.

Jun 26, 2020
Thanks for your input. You thought of a few things I hadn't, so I guess it'll be better to scrap the idea.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Dear webmaster(s) of ChristianChat.com,

I don't know if I've gone over your website thoroughly enough to see if it has this feature, but I haven't seen anything yet. How about letting all your website members see the general area where other members live in the world? I'm sure members would love to get out now and then (especially when the COVID-19 lockdown is over), and see if there are registered members who live close to them.

Registered members should have the option to disclose their geographical location. The location definitely doesn't have to give away their full street addresses (that's not even safe), but just detailed enough for members to get in their cars and commute to the member they're interested in meeting. And it's a good idea to meet them in public. I always tell people I live in the Palm Springs, CA area because lots of people know where that is. But I'm actually in Thousand Palms, CA which is about 20 minutes' drive away from Palm Springs.

I for one would definitely like to meet other members in-person; members that I've been doing text chats with.

How about coding it into the website? God Bless!
Members already can list the city, state, country on their profile page if they are so inclined to do so. No, no box for entering street address which would be most unwise. I have met a former member who lived in my area, my wife and I had lunch with him and his wife many times. Also, I actually married a woman I met on this site who is also a member. if someone is really interest they can always click on a members profile for more detailed information. To access a members profile page just click on their screen name and that will take you there. There is also an option for members to limit who can access their profile page. Glad to have you onboard with us. Welcome to CC.

K

Kim82

Sooo... you planned on just showing up near by where the person lives and just send them a text: hey guess what, I just happened to be in the neighborhood?

Then they'd say, o wow I'll come and meet you in two minutes or just make a left then a right and then you'll arrive at my house?

Jun 26, 2020
Sooo... you planned on just showing up near by where the person lives and just send them a text: hey guess what, I just happened to be in the neighborhood?

Then they'd say, o wow I'll come and meet you in two minutes or just make a left then a right and then you'll arrive at my house?
Hi Kim82,

Not exactly. For people to know your full street address is very dangerous until you get to know them well enough and you trust them. The thinking behind my idea was for this website to facilitate members on this website meeting each other in a public place that is within commuting distance of each other. For example, if I want to meet you somewhere and you want to stay safe, you can tell me to meet you somewhere that's a half-hour drive from your home, and a half-hour drive from my home as well.

I suggested this idea because this website seemed a little too general/vague in members revealing where they are. With the website being what it is now, only providing countries and states, members meeting each other in-person is nearly impossible. It's very unlikely you'd do a 3-hour drive to another U.S. state to meet/date somebody for the first time!

So I suggested that this website be a little more specific if members want to meet, and provide nearby public places like a Denny's or some other restaurant for them to meet safely until they build up enough trust in each other to disclose their full street addresses.

Thanks for your input!

K

Kim82

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
@commodoredude just so you are aware, literally hundreds of users here have met in real life for some they met their spouse here on Christian Chat. By far the majority of those meets have happened because users (through their regular use) have found out where other users have lived from their posts and for those who realize they live near each other they have arranged to meet. I know that early on in my tenure here I met a handful of other persons who happened to live within a hundred mile range of me.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
What about get to know people before you start trying to figure out how to meet them?

And if you are only interested in getting to know people near you maybe an international forum isn't the best way to go looking for them.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
weird why dont you just have a thread saying what church do you attend and then pick the ones thats nearest you and you might meet someone else from CC.