Abortion - Bible and Feminism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Gerlinde24

In the USA, but also in Germany and Austria, Christians have different opinions on the subject of abortion. Some give women the right to decide for themselves what feminists demand; others see abortion as murder, and aborted women and doctors as murderers.
But is it really just a "black and white thing"? Or is it a little more complicated?
Should a woman or girl who has been raped be forced to have a baby, or should she not be given the right to abortion, to avoid further psychological and physical harm?
And what is the mother of 8 children who can no longer feed any more children because the husband/partner has left?
And what about the woman who doesn't want children and where the anti-baby pill has failed?
I was told that the Bible (especially the Old Testament) condemns abortion. Only, the Bible was written more than 2,000 years ago, when people had little idea of pregnancy, contraception, and things like that, and where children were seen as possessions, cheap labor, and insurance for old age.
What is your opinion on this?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
My opinion is that abortion is murder. I believe it may be alright for a woman who was raped to possibly have an abortion or if the child in the womb is horribly defective or if the life of the mother was at most serious risk to carry the baby full term. The bible says that God knitted each child in the womb. It does not matter how long ago the bible was written because it is the Word of God and God changes not. As I have said there will be exceptions but in most cases it is premeditated murder.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
In the USA, but also in Germany and Austria, Christians have different opinions on the subject of abortion. Some give women the right to decide for themselves what feminists demand; others see abortion as murder, and aborted women and doctors as murderers.
But is it really just a "black and white thing"? Or is it a little more complicated?
Should a woman or girl who has been raped be forced to have a baby, or should she not be given the right to abortion, to avoid further psychological and physical harm?
And what is the mother of 8 children who can no longer feed any more children because the husband/partner has left?
And what about the woman who doesn't want children and where the anti-baby pill has failed?
I was told that the Bible (especially the Old Testament) condemns abortion. Only, the Bible was written more than 2,000 years ago, when people had little idea of pregnancy, contraception, and things like that, and where children were seen as possessions, cheap labor, and insurance for old age.
It appears to me that you are an open advocate in (Support) of a woman's right to kill (Abortion)?

Correct me if I'm wrong?

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
In the USA, but also in Germany and Austria, Christians have different opinions on the subject of abortion.
Here is what Roman Catholicism believes and teaches, and what Seventh-day Adventists teach, for comparison.

https://ia802906.us.archive.org/33/items/abortion-and-roman-catholicism-and-sda/Abortion and Roman Catholicism and SDA.pdf

Here is another work, Abortion and You by Vance Ferrell -

https://ia803209.us.archive.org/19/items/sda-vance-ferrell-abortion-and-you/SDA - Vance Ferrell - Abortion And You.pdf

Ultimately it is not what individuals believe, but rather what does the Bible say.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The correct term for pregnant is “with child.” According to the Bible it is a child within the womb. Most new versions use the word pregnant which greatly takes away from the truth. It is a child therefore abortion is murder.

Genesis 16:11 And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Behold, thou art with child and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I was told that the Bible (especially the Old Testament) condemns abortion. Only, the Bible was written more than 2,000 years ago, when people had little idea of pregnancy, contraception, and things like that, and where children were seen as possessions, cheap labor, and insurance for old age
This is a purely HUMANISTIC opinion.

And the Bible began to be written about 4,000 years ago (with the book of Job), but that is totally irrelevant. It is the written Word of God, given by divine revelation.

As to abortion, it is murder pure and simple. The only difference is that the baby is defenseless.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Abortion is murder.
Do you consider a miscarriage an abortion? Do you consider a failed ectopic pregnancy an abortion? In other words what is the definition of "abortion" that you are using? Before simply saying "Abortion is murder" I need to know what you are referring to specifically.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Do you consider a miscarriage an abortion? Do you consider a failed ectopic pregnancy an abortion? In other words what is the definition of "abortion" that you are using? Before simply saying "Abortion is murder" I need to know what you are referring to specifically.
Those are not abortions.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Stop playing as if your ignorant

98% of abortions are performed on healthy living human beings, no health risk to the mother, no rape or incest involved.

(Abortion) is premeditated murder in the 1st degree.

G

Gerlinde24

My opinion is that abortion is murder. I believe it may be alright for a woman who was raped to possibly have an abortion or if the child in the womb is horribly defective or if the life of the mother was at most serious risk to carry the baby full term. The bible says that God knitted each child in the womb. It does not matter how long ago the bible was written because it is the Word of God and God changes not. As I have said there will be exceptions but in most cases it is premeditated murder.

In your words, my mother should have aborted my sister (the result of a rape by dark-skinned French soldiers shortly after the end of World War II)? And I should not have been aborted because my "father" had left my mother penniless, even if she hated and neglected and beaten us both?
We lived in the Adenauer era in the fifties and sixties. A time when women were blamed when women were raped and abandoned.
We both experienced hell on earth. It would have been better for us if my mother had the right to have an abortion.

G

Gerlinde24

It appears to me that you are an open advocate in (Support) of a woman's right to kill (Abortion)?

Correct me if I'm wrong?
My own story has taught me that, at least in some cases, abortion is justified. By the way, a two or three month old fetus is not a human being, not a "baby"! That alone is what science and common sense say.
I know that some Christians do not want or cannot accept this. Here's a true story that happened in Utah in the 1990s:

The mother of eight children did not want a ninth child because she could not take care of the child and went to a clinic. Her husband stormed the clinic, taking his wife, doctor and nurses hostage to prevent abortion. Like his wife, he was a member of a Mormon sect (FLDS). He killed the doctor, injured a nurse before he could be arrested. In court, he pleaded not guilty because he wanted to save a baby's life, he said. He was indifferent to the life of his wife, doctor and nurse.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
My own story has taught me that, at least in some cases, abortion is justified. By the way, a two or three month old fetus is not a human being, not a "baby"! That alone is what science and common sense say.
I know that some Christians do not want or cannot accept this. Here's a true story that happened in Utah in the 1990s:

The mother of eight children did not want a ninth child because she could not take care of the child and went to a clinic. Her husband stormed the clinic, taking his wife, doctor and nurses hostage to prevent abortion. Like his wife, he was a member of a Mormon sect (FLDS). He killed the doctor, injured a nurse before he could be arrested. In court, he pleaded not guilty because he wanted to save a baby's life, he said. He was indifferent to the life of his wife, doctor and nurse.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
The human being in the womb has a heart beating at 6 weeks, and you falsely claim this isn't a human being, "Sick In My Opinion"

A normal fetal heart rate (FHR) usually ranges from 120 to 160 beats per minute (bpm) in the in utero period. It is measurable sonographically from around 6 weeks and the normal range varies during gestation, increasing to around 170 bpm at 10 weeks and decreasing from then to around 130 bpm at term.
1597465198137.png
Radiopaedia › articles › fetal-heart-r...
Fetal heart rate | Radiology Reference Article | Radiopaedia.org

Camess

Aug 11, 2020
God Hates abortion! A baby is a unique living human being from the start! Its certainly not a "blob" as leftists say. Each baby has their own DNA, their own blood that never touched the mother! God creates that child. Abortion is EVIL and anyone who performs the MURDER or willingly helps is twisted! Those tiny, beautiful, precious babies, who could have grown into unique and special people,are LITERALLY having their bodies TORN APART in these gruesome MURDERS called abortion! These tiny infants FEEL PAIN! can u imagine what these unborn children go through as they are sucked out of their mothers wombs?! Some places even allow live birth abortions!!!! That sweet precious baby is allowed to be born, only to have its neck spine CUT WITH SCISSORS TO KILL IT!!!! Mid_term babies too big to be sucked out of the womb have their brain sucked out to kill it be for the murderers remove its now lifeless body! IT IS EVIL!!! This is gruesome, but everyone needs to know this! Next time you think about "the mothers right to choose" remember: you are choosing COLD-BLOODED MURDER.

G

Gerlinde24

Ultimately it is not what individuals believe, but rather what does the Bible say.
For a long time Israel did not exist as a nation, but consisted as nomads. One did not have a God, but many gods, both female and male.
Then the tribes united and became the Israeli nation. With a God, although a goddess was long honored in the Temple of Jerusalem as "Mrs. God" before her statues were violated.
The Jews were few, surrounded by enemies. That is why children should be born to strengthen the nation. The story of Onan shows us that the wasting of seeds was under "God's punishment".
Women at the time could neither prevent nor abort, but they knew herbs that could prevent the semen from continuing shortly after conception (inserted into the vagina).
I haven't found a place in the Bible, and believe me, I've really been looking for where the Bible speaks explicitly about abortion. All the passages that mention anti-abortion activists are, at best, interpretations that have nothing to do with the original text.

If you don't want to believe that there was no "Mrs. God", here is the translation from a German Biblical Science page:

The text finds of Kuntillet 'A'r'd (Kuntillet 'A'r'd [Kuntillet Agrud]) and Chirbet el-Q'm ('Chirbet el-Q'm') have cast an unexpected light on the Israelite religion. They refer to "Jahwe and his Aschera" (Renz 1995, 47-64.202-11). In addition, a large number of pillar figures have been found, showing women with large breasts and depicting a dea nutrix ("feeding goddess") (Holland 1975). The texts and the artifacts have ignited a debate in Old Testament science as to whether or not Jahwism was originally monotheistic (see e.g. Dietrich, Loretz 1992; Becking / Dijkstra / Korpel / Vriezen 2001). Although there are still some uncertainties in the interpretation of detail, it is now generally accepted that Jahwism was not monotheistic for a long time (monotheism). Both in the family religion and in the courtly sphere (cf. Jer 44), Yahweh was regarded and revered as the husband of Aschera, at least until the time of exile.
Source: https://www.bibelwissenschaft.de/wi...jhwh/ch/3ac06e0cace6bde7d4f9823ac6a3225c/#h18

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Abortion is Murder,, and worse then murder it is the killing of the innocent.. God hates hands who shed innocent blood..

Proverbs 6: KJV
16 "¶ These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: {17} A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, {18} An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, {19} A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."

G

Gerlinde24

The correct term for pregnant is “with child.” According to the Bible it is a child within the womb. Most new versions use the word pregnant which greatly takes away from the truth. It is a child therefore abortion is murder.

Genesis 16:11 And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Behold, thou art with child and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction.
This biblical passage is about a prophecy, not abortion. And one more thing: A fetus is not a baby or a human being (from a medical and legal point of view), finally get it!