Accountability...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Accountability…

We often want to shy away from it. Some will never own up to, extending an olive branch, or any kind of apology, for as far as they are concerned, fault of their own is rarely found.

I find when I have been treated poorly by others (we are all guilty of giving and receiving this in our lives), I am much more able to let it go when I reflect on the quiet advantage it is to not worry about another's behavior, as that is between them and God… Mine is to take ownership of my own actions and reactions or lack thereof.

To me, humility and accountability go hand in hand, meekness and mercy as well. They are all so beautiful and reasonable, in my opinion, because we can see that the Most High is at the helm, where He belongs.

But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged.
1 Corinthians 11:31 ESV

So when reconciliation is impossible between the brethren, it is possible still to find peace with Jesus in our hearts, when accountability, humility, mercy and meekness remain in our hearts and minds, right smack dab where He longs to abide.

FollowtheShepherd

Sep 15, 2019
I think being accountable to God, those around us and ourselves can only make us more like He wants us to be and allows the Spirit to guide us much more frequently.

James 1:22-25, " 22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. 25 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I think being accountable to God, those around us and ourselves can only make us more like He wants us to be and allows the Spirit to guide us much more frequently.

James 1:22-25, " 22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. 25 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
Well said...:)

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
This is what a wise sister said in a response elsewhere...

I tend to remember a few things... 1st, not to be like the wicked servant. 2nd, who am I to judge another's servant. 3rd, nothing wrong with healthy boundaries and saying no. 4th, and most importantly Gods full sovereignty in my life and others, that even the wicked scenes of man will not touch in such a way that is outside His will. That no matter what we face or experience He is right there and it is His will that is being established not mine as proverbs says! This is also where you will find that perfect peace and let go <3.

BAM, huh? That hits home for me.

Jul 20, 2019
Your not accountable to others or there actions, only God.If people do misquote scripture or become legalistic its up to us to rebuke them, and then move on. If we didn't say anything , we would be as guilty as them. Jesus never leaves our side.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I believe we are responsible to be accountable for our actions. In being accountable to God, we are accountable to other people. That includes making amends, when possible, for the things we have damaged through our behaviour or attitudes. Unkindness or thoughtlessness needs a confession, an apology and a change in behaviour. The attitudes of our hearts are of paramount importance to God. I am daily amazed at God's mercy to me. His servants need to mirror that to others. Our behaviour is the core of our testimony. Our words have no weight without actions to show its truth.
I am not looking to argue about this. I am sharing what I believe to be true.

Jul 20, 2019
I believe we are responsible to be accountable for our actions. In being accountable to God, we are accountable to other people. That includes making amends, when possible, for the things we have damaged through our behaviour or attitudes. Unkindness or thoughtlessness needs a confession, an apology and a change in behaviour. The attitudes of our hearts are of paramount importance to God. I am daily amazed at God's mercy to me. His servants need to mirror that to others. Our behaviour is the core of our testimony. Our words have no weight without actions to show its truth.
If people come along on sites such as this, and teach false prophecy, misquote the bible, tell us there is more than one God to worship, then we have a duty to call them out. We are not here to make friends , but to show them the truth. If they are offended by the truth, then its there problem .

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
If people come along on sites such as this, and teach false prophecy, misquote the bible, tell us there is more than one God to worship, then we have a duty to call them out. We are not here to make friends , but to show them the truth. If they are offended by the truth, then its there problem .
Nothing wrong with making friends on this site. I married my best friend who is also a member as a result of this friendly site. I have made a few good friends since I joined and consider them a blessing from God.

Jul 20, 2019
Nothing wrong with making friends on this site. I married my best friend who is also a member as a result of this friendly site. I have made a few good friends since I joined and consider them a blessing from God.
Oh yes, I should have phrased it better, I meant to say if they people are doing the wrong thing by Jesus, then we call it out regardless of whether there feelings are hurt or not, making friends with people we love is a different matter.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I never claimed prophesy, I also never said there was another God. There is only one God. God wants us to be love in this world. That is biblical. We are to love one another. Part of love is humility and kindness. As for not being here to make friends, I don't pretend to understand your thinking, however I am not here to quarrel with you. This thread is about accountability and I want to let it go back to what the author intended and not fill it with contentiousness.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I agree with you, 100%, but sometimes the other party is unwilling to apologize or find peace and reconciliation. I agree so much but I mean ultimately we have to let some things go because it isn't our walk. We need to forgive and move forward even if the other doesn't want to. Of course, I agree 100% that our actions, thoughts, and words matter. It makes me think of my new fav verse. But i was addressing what we do when those we encounter just are unwilling to apologize or take accountability of their own.

Attachments

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I agree with you, 100%, but sometimes the other party is unwilling to apologize or find peace and reconciliation. I agree so much but I mean ultimately we have to let some things go because it isn't our walk. We need to forgive and move forward even if the other doesn't want to. Of course, I agree 100% that our actions, thoughts, and words matter. It makes me think of my new fav verse. But i was addressing what we do when those we encounter just are unwilling to apologize or take accountability of their own.
I hear you and i agree with you.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well it is God who keeps the lambs books of life and writes us in there, and blots us out if need be, not the other person.

I was just thinking about how accountants and book keepers record every transaction. If things dont add up they work to reconcile it. If its all a mess and you can reconcile it sometimes you need to wipe it or write it off.

They can be added in later but thing is to keep going and not worry about the anomaly which will sort it self out maybe it will come later what went wrong on their part, you just do YOUR part to the best if your ability.

This is why some people hire accountants cos they dont want to spend all day crunching numbers...the best thing to do is get in the habit of keeping short accounts dont let it pile up to a huge backlog.

May 25, 2015
Accountability…

We often want to shy away from it. Some will never own up to, extending an olive branch, or any kind of apology, for as far as they are concerned, fault of their own is rarely found.

I find when I have been treated poorly by others (we are all guilty of giving and receiving this in our lives), I am much more able to let it go when I reflect on the quiet advantage it is to not worry about another's behavior, as that is between them and God… Mine is to take ownership of my own actions and reactions or lack thereof.

To me, humility and accountability go hand in hand, meekness and mercy as well. They are all so beautiful and reasonable, in my opinion, because we can see that the Most High is at the helm, where He belongs.

But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged.
1 Corinthians 11:31 ESV

So when reconciliation is impossible between the brethren, it is possible still to find peace with Jesus in our hearts, when accountability, humility, mercy and meekness remain in our hearts and minds, right smack dab where He longs to abide.
Accountability is so important. Accountability helps you with the blind spots that you cannot see or are aware of.

A couple years ago, I went on a blind date a friend set me up with. And....holy cow....was he attractive. Even landed a second date with him. When I saw him for the first time, I was a ball of nerves, but it was going really well. The flow of conversation was easy and it felt like I was talking to an old friend. He leaned forward, maybe after a half-hour of laughing and joking, and he said, "Would you want someone to tell you if there was a booger in your nose?" And I'm like, "Yes," confused as to why he'd ask. He said, "There's a booger in your nose. I"m so sorry, but I felt like I'd want someone to tell me that."

I WAS MORTIFIED. I had a cold during that time and I was constantly blowing my nose, and my nose failed me on a great first date. I was so embarrassed, but he handled it so gracefully.

But, I was thankful and after I went to the bathroom and fixed the situation, we hung out some more and he drove me home and even gave me a goodnight kiss and we went out a second time after that.

Thing is, if he never told me, I'd never know.

Sure, it might have been embarrassing and my pride was hurt, but....he told me about a blind spot that I was not aware of so I could fix it, even if it did hurt my pride.

Same thing with accountability. People are placed in your life to point out some struggles you go through that you might not even be aware, and it might hurt your pride but it is for the greater good.

Don't shy away from it. It is so important for your own growth!

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Accountability is so important. Accountability helps you with the blind spots that you cannot see or are aware of.

A couple years ago, I went on a blind date a friend set me up with. And....holy cow....was he attractive. Even landed a second date with him. When I saw him for the first time, I was a ball of nerves, but it was going really well. The flow of conversation was easy and it felt like I was talking to an old friend. He leaned forward, maybe after a half-hour of laughing and joking, and he said, "Would you want someone to tell you if there was a booger in your nose?" And I'm like, "Yes," confused as to why he'd ask. He said, "There's a booger in your nose. I"m so sorry, but I felt like I'd want someone to tell me that."

I WAS MORTIFIED. I had a cold during that time and I was constantly blowing my nose, and my nose failed me on a great first date. I was so embarrassed, but he handled it so gracefully.

But, I was thankful and after I went to the bathroom and fixed the situation, we hung out some more and he drove me home and even gave me a goodnight kiss and we went out a second time after that.

Sure, it might have been embarrassing and my pride was hurt, but....he told me about a blind spot that I was not aware of so I could fix it, even if it did hurt my pride.

Same thing with accountability. People are placed in your life to point out some struggles you go through that you might not even be aware, and it might hurt your pride but it is for the greater good.

Wow, so eloquently said. I agree so much. Even if it is delivered do not become a victim to the response, but rather learn from it that which can help grow. Bam, you are so wise. I laughed so hard at your booger story.

Thanks Shiney one, you are a blessing indeed, boogers and all.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Well it is God who keeps the lambs books of life and writes us in there, and blots us out if need be, not the other person.

I was just thinking about how accountants and book keepers record every transaction. If things dont add up they work to reconcile it. If its all a mess and you can reconcile it sometimes you need to wipe it or write it off.

They can be added in later but thing is to keep going and not worry about the anomaly which will sort it self out maybe it will come later what went wrong on their part, you just do YOUR part to the best if your ability.

This is why some people hire accountants cos they dont want to spend all day crunching numbers...the best thing to do is get in the habit of keeping short accounts dont let it pile up to a huge backlog.
Yes yes yes....the best thing to do is get in the habit of keeping short accounts dont let it pile up to a huge backlog, wise words.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Thanks y'all for your input. God Bless you, my brothers and sisters in Him.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014

Plus ewweeey @pride, huh?

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Today, I literally just finished writing a lecture of sorts to my middle school volley ball team about cking yourselves.