Americanized Thinking

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Anything that goes against Gods will, commands or laws. Anything unclean or impure.
yes. and more. the actual definition of the word sin ( in the greek ) is to miss the mark, fall short of God's standards.

so, then James went on to say that to " know to do good and not do so ".

Paul said " what ever is not of faith is sin".

so, when we start talking about not sinning, we have to be sure all those descriptions define if we do or not.

so, to say that " I did not violate a command and break a law , so I have not sinned today" is not an accurate statement.

we have to be 100% truthful about what sin is, so we can honestly say if we do or not.

Jun 21, 2017
In spite of the terrible sins that David committed (which was as bad as you can get), it did not stop God from His Son being called the "Son of David." Those who walk in the spirit will always have shortcomings (acts of sin) until the trump sounds.
I completely understand everything that you have said, but again constantly thinking that God is going to let me down, or let me fall is me not putting all my faith in him. My faith alone is Jesus is what saves me and his blood is what cleanses me. Also, I understand that God sees me through Jesus which means in his eyes I'm perfect. I literally don't understand what everyone is missing. Someone telling me that I'm going to keep sinning over and over again until the day of Christ's return. Is them literally telling me not to put all my faith and trust in Jesus. They are literally telling me to expect God (who HATES sin) not to provide a way out when I am tempted. They are literally saying that He who is in me, isn't greater than he who is in the world if im going to always be bound to sin. The same sin Jesus died to free me from. And he who the Son sets free is free indeed. Not almost free COMPLETELY free. Now if y'all don't want to be free, if y'all want to keep thinking that your always going to sin thats your business. Essentially, someone going around teaching people that they are always going to sin when they serve a perfect God who is way bigger than Sin and is able to keep them from falling does Jesus a complete disservice. No where in the Bible does it state that we are going to have to sin for the rest of our lives!

Apr 12, 2019
Again you have misinterpreted I have sinned with my thoughts not my actions. And again this is about the way think about sin. And the way that I become and we all come completely sinless is changing the way we think about sin and become aware of the lies we have been fed.
everybody sins after having believed because by faith have to crucify you own old self

this is big conceptual thesis in apostle Paul spiritual teaching of JeChri

nobody knows about it and doesn't want to know

it is called - one baptism

to die to the law by law -first part of it

Jun 21, 2017
yes. and more. the actual definition of the word sin ( in the greek ) is to miss the mark, fall short of God's standards.

so, then James went on to say that to " know to do good and not do so ".

Paul said " what ever is not of faith is sin".

so, when we start talking about not sinning, we have to be sure all those descriptions define if we do or not.
Again I'm talking about the way we keep thinking that we are going to keep sinning. Eventually the sin that we keep thinking we are going to commit manifest itself. I'm saying we are suppose to think like Jesus thinks and our thoughts are suppose to match up with his. And to say that Jesus thinks we should keep on failing and sinning is completely wrong, so why do we keep thinking we are going to keep failing and sinning? Also every time we sin we are telling God that we don't trust him to provide a way out, or provide what we need so we take matters into our own hands. So again this is about how we think about sin.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I would like to suggest that a lot of us Christian Americans have been falsely thought to think that we can't live sin free lives. For example my pastor says "we cant be sinless, but we should sin less". And obviously I agree with that and I know I am a sinner saved by grace. But it's that kind of thinking that gives the devil a foothold. Its that kind of thinking that keeps us enslaved to the very thing God died to set us free from. Also there are various scriptures to support that we can indeed do all we can to live sin free lives. Such as God wont let us be tempted beyond what we can bear and will provide a way out. So if God says he will provide a way out, that he is able to make me stand, and that his Holy spirit within me is greater than he who is in than world. Then why do we keep THINKING that we won't be able to live sin free lives. Of course, maybe its just me maybe noone else has been taught to think this way. However for my brothers and sisters who have been taught this just as I have you might want to join me in just thinking how Jesus thinks and not how the world or America thinks.

Stay Woke 🙏✌
Why just Christian Americans doing the false thoughts? Paul, even though a Christian, said he still does the things that he shouldn't do and neglects to do the things that he should do. Three times he prayed for God to remove the thorn in his flesh but God said that His grace was sufficient. During the life-long repentance process you turn away from the sins that drag you down but you will still occasionally stumble, because after all, we have not been made perfect yet. I agree with your pastor. I haven't seen a single passage in the bible that states that a born again Christian will never sin again. I would not get hung up on what America thinks or even the rest of the world for that matter.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Again I'm talking about the way we keep thinking that we are going to keep sinning. Eventually the sin that we keep thinking we are going to commit manifest itself. I'm saying we are suppose to think like Jesus thinks and our thoughts are suppose to match up with his. And to say that Jesus thinks we should keep on failing and sinning is completely wrong, so why do we keep thinking we are going to keep failing and sinning? Also every time we sin we are telling God that we don't trust him to provide a way out, or provide what we need so we take matters into our own hands. So again this is about how we think about sin.
What I do each day, even though I realize that I am a sinner, I pray that I will not sin Today. Take life one day at a time and each day the slate is wiped clean.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
There are other statements in your post that I may address later. For now, I'll choose to focus on this last word, "woke".

To borrow a line from Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what you think it means."
Maybe it was a typo and she meant 'toke'.

Jun 21, 2017
everybody sins after having believed because by faith have to crucify you own old self
Which is partly the point I'm trying to make. If indeed we have crucified our passions and desires and are dead now and alive in Christ why are we thinking about sinning in the future? Im suppose to be thinking about holiness, my flesh and desires are no longer suppose to matter to me, so why do I keep thinking that I am sin again in twenty minutes?

Jun 21, 2017
Why just Christian Americans doing the false thoughts? Paul, even though a Christian, said he still does the things that he shouldn't do and neglects to do the things that he should do. Three times he prayed for God to remove the thorn in his flesh but God said that His grace was sufficient. During the life-long repentance process you turn away from the sins that drag you down but you will still occasionally stumble, because after all, we have not been made perfect yet. I agree with your pastor. I haven't seen a single passage in the bible that states that a born again Christian will never sin again. I would not get hung up on what America thinks or even the rest of the world for that matter.
I completely agree with everything that you said, and again this is about us THINKING we are going to keep sinning. For example, if I keep thinking I'm never going to break the cycle then ill never break the cycle. But if I'm constantly THINKING of Gods amazing saving grace then anytime sin comes my way in the future I should be able to overcome it because God said I'm more than a conqueror!

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Which is partly the point I'm trying to make. If indeed we have crucified our passions and desires and are dead now and alive in Christ why are we thinking about sinning in the future? Im suppose to be thinking about holiness, my flesh and desires are no longer suppose to matter to me, so why do I keep thinking that I am sin again in twenty minutes?
here is the reason- we have a sin nature. you do not have to teach kids when they are young not to be selfish , mean, and dishonsty.

we have a proclivity for doing wrong, so, the flesh and the Sprit ( born again Sprit ) are at war inside of us, as Paul described in Romans.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I completely agree with everything that you said, and again this is about us THINKING we are going to keep sinning. For example, if I keep thinking I'm never going to break the cycle then ill never break the cycle. But if I'm constantly THINKING of Gods amazing saving grace then anytime sin comes my way in the future I should be able to overcome it because God said I'm more than a conqueror!
This is simplistic black-and-white thinking, as though people are either thinking about sin or thinking about holiness, and never anything in between. Maybe dead people do that; living people are busy thinking about whether the driver in the unsteady car ahead is awake, whether they'll have enough to retire when they're 65, whether little Johnny wanting to wear stockings is a phase, and whether they remembered to turn off the coffee pot. Sin? The time that most people think about sin is when they realize that they have already committed it.

The other concern is that it takes a very high view of our potential for righteousness, and a very low view of our capacity for sin. Believers may not be committing murder, adultery, or theft, but that doesn't mean we are sinless. Plus, to paraphrase what Paul says, we may not be aware of any sin standing between ourselves and God, but that doesn't mean there isn't any.

Sep 3, 2016
I completely understand everything that you have said, but again constantly thinking that God is going to let me down, or let me fall is me not putting all my faith in him. My faith alone is Jesus is what saves me and his blood is what cleanses me. Also, I understand that God sees me through Jesus which means in his eyes I'm perfect. I literally don't understand what everyone is missing. Someone telling me that I'm going to keep sinning over and over again until the day of Christ's return. Is them literally telling me not to put all my faith and trust in Jesus. They are literally telling me to expect God (who HATES sin) not to provide a way out when I am tempted. They are literally saying that He who is in me, isn't greater than he who is in the world if im going to always be bound to sin. The same sin Jesus died to free me from. And he who the Son sets free is free indeed. Not almost free COMPLETELY free. Now if y'all don't want to be free, if y'all want to keep thinking that your always going to sin thats your business. Essentially, someone going around teaching people that they are always going to sin when they serve a perfect God who is way bigger than Sin and is able to keep them from falling does Jesus a complete disservice. No where in the Bible does it state that we are going to have to sin for the rest of our lives!
Romans 8:13 says, "If you live after the flesh, you shall die: but if you through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, you shall live." Paul warns the Believer, he said, "For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, (the) sin (nature) revived, and I died (failed God by sinning, using the flesh) (Romans 7:9)." Zechariah 4:6

The sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit mortifies the deed of the flesh by changing my condition into my position which is perfect and Holy because God has declared us justified (not guilt and innocent).

As a Christian we were "set free" the moment we are saved - "made free" speaks of a process. "Set Free," i.e., instantaneous - "Made Free, " i.e., You should know the truth and the truth shall make you free (John 8:32, John 14:6). "Made Free" = sanctification.

Two kinds of peace
1. Justifying Peace - This is Peace with God, a legal standing. Rom. 8:7; Eph. 2:14-15

2. Sanctifying Peace - This is the Peace of God in the heart. Rom. 8:6; 14:19; 15:13; Gal. 1:3

The first is the result of a legal standing. The second is the result of the Work of the Holy Spirit. The first is static, never fluctuates, the second changes almost from hour to hour. The first, every Christian has, the second, every Christian may have.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
here is the reason- we have a sin nature. you do not have to teach kids when they are young not to be selfish , mean, and dishonsty.

we have a proclivity for doing wrong, so, the flesh and the Sprit ( born again Sprit ) are at war inside of us, as Paul described in Romans.
sorry, I misspoke here. I meant to say that you do not have to teach kids to do wrong, you have to teach them NOT to do wrong.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I'm still waiting to see just one sinless example. Possibles are one thing, actualities are another,...Jesus, not included.

Adelia

Apr 18, 2018
I do not see anyone claiming to be sinless. I have not been called a sinner in scripture since salvation. I am called a saint now.
Romans 1:7
I can give 14 more scriptures but there is no need. There are also about 125 or more scriptures that refer to the saints. ( us )

Jun 21, 2017
Almost everyone is completely missing the point. There is a direct relationship between thinking and action. Thats why Jesus said he will keep in perfect peace those whose keep their mind steadfast on him. When I'm thinking about Jesus and meditating on his word like I should I'm not thinking about going to the strip club, or in my case being gluttonous. I'm thinking about Jesus and his law of righteousness. Fine the bible doesnt say we will never sin again. But it does reiterate over and over again that there is a way out of sin. It also states we shouldnt go on about living in sin. And I guess I should clear this up as well I'm talking about people who know for a fact they are sinning and keep on doing it yet claim the blood of Jesus.

Also I'm saying we need to stop teaching that we're always going to sin. It creates seeds of doubt in Gods saving power. And it keeps us chained to sin forever and thats just not how its supposed to be.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
I am only 40 but I seriously don't think there will ever come a time where I will do everything perfectly(sinless) and be able to walk the earth just as Jesus did BUT, I refuse to stop trying to be as close to that idea.

Maybe the reason none of us will attain that perfection is the danger of inflating the EGO and forget about the ONE responsible for it all.
Always coming up just a bit short in no matter what we are trying to achieve, is a constant reminder of how much we need someone to follow.