Anxiety at work

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
So sometimes I can get anxious at work and yesterday I felt overwhelmed with the anxiety and I had to step away for a little while. I work on the register and in the summer time, it gets hot in there. I may get pretty anxious when there is a crowd or I may feel just fine or not too bad. I really don't want to be making it harder on the other cashiers. I want to excel and handle the stressors well and be someone that would really help. And I have helped a lot since I have been working there, maybe I get a little down if anxiety or panic gets the better of me. I would like advice and prayers. Thanks ❤

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
First may I share with you that I understand your plight, and it is real and serious. For this reason you most certainly have my prayers I pray in Jesus Christ's name that you be filled with His Presence at your job in a manner givig you confidence and ability...amen

This example of my own experience lately may hep, thought it is not quite as serious as is yours.

My vision has been failing off and on for thirty years due to macular degeneration. Most recently the good eye has gone as bad as what was formerly the bad eye, now which is which is hard to tell.

I had stopped altogether doing certain chores I had always managed, such as electrical repairs and PC functions.

About a week or so ago I realized much of these little tasks were not going to do themselves so I began doing them by feel, and I (we) managed to repair various electrical connections and a signal booster box, in-line, on my coaxialcable from the antenna to the TV regaining all the channels I had lost for over a year.

Continuing I took apart three electric fans and cleaned them ike I used to do, and now they function as new.........

You may think this quite ordinar, but for me I know Jesus repaired everything.

I want you to let Jesus take responsibility in your work too. I believe He will. You are earning a living, and this is very important, very, so I pray you are a tip-top worker in every aspect of your place of work, not just at the register but recognized as an asset where ever you lay your mind and hands in your work place.

All love in Jesus Christ, Yeshua.........:D

U

Ugly

As one that's had anxiety for 10+ years i can say it's not something that's often entirely defeated. Most people, once they have it, tend to have it reoccur the rest of their life. Though the degree of it can be lessened and learning how to deal with it makes it easier.
Many people simply have personalities that gear towards being anxious. Others have some kind of mental illness that causes it or is common with it.
Overcoming anxiety takes a long time and and a lot of work. The severity and the impact it has on your life could determine how important getting professional help is. If it's not too strong then you may be able to minimize it further without professional help.
One suspected reason for an increase in anxiety is people today tend to breath shallower breaths. If you feel a bit of anxiety coming on try checking your breathing and taking deeper breaths. This is a big part of the relaxation smokers feel. How smokers tend to want to smoke during stressful situations has less to do with cigarettes and more to do with the deep breathing the use to smoke.
Avoiding caffeine is another help. And, if possible, sugar. This is especially important when you feel anxiety coming on, as these things can actually feed the anxiety attack.
If your anxiety isn't too severe try natural supplements. Gaba is a popular one, and one that i use when i feel anxiety getting too hard for me to control it.
If it gets out of hand a professional may then be needed. Medication should always be a last resort.

10-natural-ways-to-stop-panic-attack-1024x1024.jpg

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
If your anxiety is getting worse you might need to look around for something that is adding stress to your life that needs to be removed.

My best friend is a maintenance man at a factory and he is also afraid of heights. For years he has been squashing his fear of heights in order to work on stuff that requires climbing a ladder.

Earlier this year he started having strong panic attacks at random times for no apparent reason. They got so strong and so disruptive of his normal life that he saw a doctor about it. The doctor immediately said stay off ladders. Tell management they will have to get another maintenance man to do machine work at higher elevations.

The doctor was right. As soon as my friend started saying off ladders, his panic attacks evaporated.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
As one that's had anxiety for 10+ years i can say it's not something that's often entirely defeated. Most people, once they have it, tend to have it reoccur the rest of their life. Though the degree of it can be lessened and learning how to deal with it makes it easier.
Many people simply have personalities that gear towards being anxious. Others have some kind of mental illness that causes it or is common with it.
Overcoming anxiety takes a long time and and a lot of work. The severity and the impact it has on your life could determine how important getting professional help is. If it's not too strong then you may be able to minimize it further without professional help.
One suspected reason for an increase in anxiety is people today tend to breath shallower breaths. If you feel a bit of anxiety coming on try checking your breathing and taking deeper breaths. This is a big part of the relaxation smokers feel. How smokers tend to want to smoke during stressful situations has less to do with cigarettes and more to do with the deep breathing the use to smoke.
Avoiding caffeine is another help. And, if possible, sugar. This is especially important when you feel anxiety coming on, as these things can actually feed the anxiety attack.
If your anxiety isn't too severe try natural supplements. Gaba is a popular one, and one that i use when i feel anxiety getting too hard for me to control it.
If it gets out of hand a professional may then be needed. Medication should always be a last resort.

View attachment 186316
Good helps, cherie. I esp. find 2, 6, 8 and 10 impt, although all are=). Personally, when i realize ive been anxious during the day or even most of a week, i purposefully find chunk of time to play music like piano or other. A few mins. is too short, but sometimes playing songs to the Lord for abt an hour helps me focus not on me and my burdens, but on how good He is. The enemy will keep on whispering i am wasting time-- and to do other things (that will stress me again), but God knows what we need, and we do need that refreshing.

Just to remind take things one day at a time.. and praying for you. God bless your day, cherie.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
So sometimes I can get anxious at work and yesterday I felt overwhelmed with the anxiety and I had to step away for a little while. I work on the register and in the summer time, it gets hot in there. I may get pretty anxious when there is a crowd or I may feel just fine or not too bad. I really don't want to be making it harder on the other cashiers. I want to excel and handle the stressors well and be someone that would really help. And I have helped a lot since I have been working there, maybe I get a little down if anxiety or panic gets the better of me. I would like advice and prayers. Thanks ❤
I have work anxiety too occasionally and pray before each work day for God to calm my fears before I head out the door. The fact that you go to work and try your best speaks volumes about your character. Don't worry, you are doing fine and I am sure that your job performance is exceptional and God is indeed with you at that register or any other place as well. I have said a prayer for God to calm your fears and give you a sense of peace and well-being. I admire greatly anyone who is brave enough to go to work, regardless of their position and try their best, often under hard conditions.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I used to work as a cashier and its natural to get anxious when the store gets busy and the lines get long. If it starts getting to you, force yourself to slow down a little and breathe. A lot of the anxiety is from trying to rush and from shallow breathing. That's the fight or flight mechanism working in your body. It's the body's natural response to stress. Try to think of relaxing thoughts or a favorite song or happy thoughts. I used to think of how nice it will feel to finally be going home after the day is over... Or I would think of a hobby that I looked forward to doing when I get home. It might be a favorite tv show that you look forward to watching, or even just having dinner. Anything that will soothe your mind. Also, you can take a sip of water (if that's allowed of course). If all else fails.... take a bathroom break. :)

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
There isn't a praying thingy, but I will pray that God will give you peace in your heart and mind.....