Anyone battling anxiety/panic disorder?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Deror

Mar 30, 2018
So I'm still here, posting away, still with anxiety.

My 4 kids are Christians, I have a ministry in church, I run a company that employs 30 people.

Every morning when I wake up I have come to realise that there must be a reason and purpose.

I lift that up to God.

Father I pray for Wade.
I ask that you heal and break the anxiety.
Whatever is causing this you will reveal it.

I ask this in Jesus name.
Bill, I hope you don't mind me mentioning that you've given quite a Hopeful testimony there. A beacon.
Because , even with anxiety, you have a ministry, a company and lotsa kids ;) Who are Christians too!! I really admire and cheer you for all that. Jesus is obviously with you.

Amen, you have purpose. You're a man of God, God is with you.

Amen - Agreeing in prayer with you for Wade. May Jesus bless and help you both.

____

P.S. Wade, after I've got to know people and been here a while - I'm willing to chat with you, with others, out in the open in this health forum. I've suffered too, still do at times. If I can be any help. Here for you. Keep going x

Last edited:

student

Jul 20, 2010
I have said a prayer for God to deliver you from this debilitating sickness. There are many that know and understand about anxiety, a few of the members here suffer from that also. "Fear not", says the Lord. I know that may sound trite but its true. Perhaps what is holding you back is fear of the unknown. Even such a place is probably better than the prison in your mind that is confining you.
'
When I had the initial onset of anxiety I was given an ATivan to help...it did, then no more was given...because it's addicting. I have an MI diagnosis for many years. I no longer take much ativan and never take more than one in an entire day if I do. I usually have to break it into quarters not to get knocked out by it.

One reason I needed it was anxiety full blown. Another was a different med that caused anxiety in too high a dose...that's how it got prescribed.

Why I don't take it now? I found good supports and God has helped me heal from the PTSD to a point I rarely need it.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind" II timothy 1:7. I sang this to a special tune when it was bad and before I had anything else to offer relief. memorizing scriptures that 'speak' to you...are helpful. Psalm 91 is a great one too. Or recite the Lord's Prayer. Sing Jesus Loves me...I have. Speak the name of "Jesus" wherever and whenever you need to.

Four square breathing helps as well. Breathe in to the count of 4...hold it for four counts...breathe out to 4 counts and hold out for 4. Do this in anxious times as well as practice it in calm times.

Praying you know Jesus so well that as you overcome this, you find the strength to stomp on the floor and tell Satan...you are not allowed to mess with me...Jesus has the victory over you and you cannot mess with me.

Blessings -student

student

Jul 20, 2010
I'm not trying to promote medication but if you've suffered this long...you could benefit from extra measures. God is good and He created the doctors too. :)

student

Jul 20, 2010
Ephesians 6:10
[SUP]10 [/SUP]Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
[SUP]11 [/SUP]Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
[SUP] "Power" - this comes from the Greek - as does the entire new Testament. It is likened to a Roman soldier in armor. A roman soldier had to be extremely muscular because the armour weighed nearly 80 lbs. Difficult enough to carry it...the soldier also had to fight with it on.
We put on "Christ" and Keep Christ on us and we fight back against the devil.
"Be strong" - comes from the Greek word "Induo" or indued. We are strengthened or indued with strength by walking with Christ.
The devil tries to break down our stronghold with Christ by continuously trying to penetrate a weak area of our life.
Weight, or mental ability or addiction...etc...trying to convince us we cannot overcome...once we do in the power of Jesus, the strongholds the devil has on us become fewer and fewer for we are stronger and soon the devil flees.

Power in the Greek means "cratos" - eruptive power - seeable visible.

Cratos transforms to the supernatural. We needn't imagine putting on the armor of God...we can, but we don't need to. We need to make a choice to walk in Christ and renew that choice daily. To come against the devil, put out fires and strongholds in our lives and then lend a word to put out the stronghold of the devil in someone else's life.

-Rick Renner

-------------
Still a student....I learned this in the past few days. I hope it helps you to understand you can overcome and this is an explanation of the way to go about it...the devil attacks our minds...to be able to confuse us, and eventually oppress us. The words of our mouth are our greatest commodity...unless we use them as our greatest enemy...speak positive...speak truth. Hope that helps - student (currently studying Greek and Spanish...just a little at a time) It's kind of fun...
[/SUP]

wade1989

Nov 4, 2016
Thanks for all the replies. Prayers and your stories are appreciated! I have faith that GOD will deliver me from this. I pray for all of you who suffer from anxiety as well! I have a great support system, and I serve an even greater GOD.

J

JB2018

I've been in your situation before. I had anxiety in kindergarten up until last year (I'm 25 now) I want you to know that you are dealing with a spirit that is not of God. Anxiety is really fear. To be exact, it's called the spirit of fear. God did not give us this spirit. He gave us love, power, and a sound time. One thing the spirit of fear attacks is your faith. Why? because fear is the opposite of faith. I encourage to pray fervently for deliverance. If you can, FAST. Fasting breaks the powers of darkness off our lives.

J

JB2018

It had gripped be bad ......it was before I knew God as my savior. Even after, I struggled with it but God has set me free.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Speaking health, life, restoration and renewal over Wade in Jesus Name.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Back about 2001, my RA was horrific, I was in terrible pain, and depressed. I had an incident driving my daughter down a snowy, Canadian backroad while taking her to figure skating. It scared me terribly.

But she was a high level figure skater, so 6 days a week, we had to go down that same road, all winter, temperatures -40, the wind blowing snow across the road so you couldn’t tell what was the road, and where the deep ditches were, because they were filled with snow. Oh yes, at night, as we had so little daylight up in central Alberta in winter.

I began to become more anxious just thinking about it. The anxiety started just before I left, and then worked backwards. It got to the point where I was waking up every day with a panic attack, because she always had to be driven. By the second year, I was having panic attacks and severe anxiety all day, every day, even in the summer. I tried to get my daughter to quit figure skating, but she would cry and beg and plead. She was a competitive skater, and loved it, and had all her friends at the rink. She also became a coach, and put herself through university with her coaching.

So, the second summer, I sat down and thought about how strange it was I was having so much anxiety, when I am not really an anxious person. So, I went back in my mind to when it started. I prayed and ask God to touch me. Then, God showed me the answer.

Yes, I had had a very dangerous incident driving my daughter to figure skating, 2 years ago, but it was over. Just like that, the anxiety was gone. I literally have never had it like that again. Sometimes I worry a bit, and I take it to God in prayer, and God shows me the answer - and that is to depend upon him.

But that is a specific anxiety, and not GAD or Generalized Anxiety Disorder. That is much more complex, and other than a miraculous healing, it is going to take work to recover. Unless you can pin point the actual thing that triggered your anxiety, then you need to get a doctor and therapist. I understand EMD can be a simple and good healing tool.

One more thing I will add. I am very much against taking meds for anxiety. This is based on what happened to me, and everyone else I know that is on benzodiazepines of one sort or another. First, the CPS the Canadian Medical book that doctors and pharmacist used, distinctly says that these meds are highly addictive. But, other big issue, is they lose their effectiveness within a few weeks, by which time you are addicted. And, paradoxically, the CPS, says the longer you take these anti-anxiety pills, the more anxious they will make you. So, I am all for meds that help mental conditions, and I wish there was a magic pill for anxiety. But Klonopin, and other Benzodiazapines are simply not the answer to this problem.

So, you have to stop them, or the anxiety will be worse. I am not sure which doctor put me on them, But I was on them for years after I had no need. It was just like a candy I needed to eat. I changed doctors, and she told me I didn’t need them, put me on a large pill I could cut into quarters. For 2 weeks I took 3/4 of a pill. Then half a pill for 2 weeks, and finally 1/4 pill for 2 weeks!

I felt so much better off that pill. I felt normal. My mom is addicted to Clonazepam, and she has terrible anxiety which this drug has made worse. Most of the people in my bipolar group have anxiety and are on these drugs, and it doesn’t help them at all, but neither do they want to stop it. I believe all these people would have less anxiety without it.

I do believe prayer and a good walk with God is so important. But God gave us doctors for a reason, and perhaps a good doctor can help you find some solutions that don’t include benzodiazepines!

Deror

Mar 30, 2018
Back about 2001, my RA was horrific, I was in terrible pain, and depressed. I had an incident driving my daughter down a snowy, Canadian backroad while taking her to figure skating. It scared me terribly.

But she was a high level figure skater, so 6 days a week, we had to go down that same road, all winter, temperatures -40, the wind blowing snow across the road so you couldn’t tell what was the road, and where the deep ditches were, because they were filled with snow. Oh yes, at night, as we had so little daylight up in central Alberta in winter.

I began to become more anxious just thinking about it. The anxiety started just before I left, and then worked backwards. It got to the point where I was waking up every day with a panic attack, because she always had to be driven. By the second year, I was having panic attacks and severe anxiety all day, every day, even in the summer. I tried to get my daughter to quit figure skating, but she would cry and beg and plead. She was a competitive skater, and loved it, and had all her friends at the rink. She also became a coach, and put herself through university with her coaching.

So, the second summer, I sat down and thought about how strange it was I was having so much anxiety, when I am not really an anxious person. So, I went back in my mind to when it started. I prayed and ask God to touch me. Then, God showed me the answer.

Yes, I had had a very dangerous incident driving my daughter to figure skating, 2 years ago, but it was over. Just like that, the anxiety was gone. I literally have never had it like that again. Sometimes I worry a bit, and I take it to God in prayer, and God shows me the answer - and that is to depend upon him.

But that is a specific anxiety, and not GAD or Generalized Anxiety Disorder. That is much more complex, and other than a miraculous healing, it is going to take work to recover. Unless you can pin point the actual thing that triggered your anxiety, then you need to get a doctor and therapist. I understand EMD can be a simple and good healing tool.

One more thing I will add. I am very much against taking meds for anxiety. This is based on what happened to me, and everyone else I know that is on benzodiazepines of one sort or another. First, the CPS the Canadian Medical book that doctors and pharmacist used, distinctly says that these meds are highly addictive. But, other big issue, is they lose their effectiveness within a few weeks, by which time you are addicted. And, paradoxically, the CPS, says the longer you take these anti-anxiety pills, the more anxious they will make you. So, I am all for meds that help mental conditions, and I wish there was a magic pill for anxiety. But Klonopin, and other Benzodiazapines are simply not the answer to this problem.

So, you have to stop them, or the anxiety will be worse. I am not sure which doctor put me on them, But I was on them for years after I had no need. It was just like a candy I needed to eat. I changed doctors, and she told me I didn’t need them, put me on a large pill I could cut into quarters. For 2 weeks I took 3/4 of a pill. Then half a pill for 2 weeks, and finally 1/4 pill for 2 weeks!

I felt so much better off that pill. I felt normal. My mom is addicted to Clonazepam, and she has terrible anxiety which this drug has made worse. Most of the people in my bipolar group have anxiety and are on these drugs, and it doesn’t help them at all, but neither do they want to stop it. I believe all these people would have less anxiety without it.

I do believe prayer and a good walk with God is so important. But God gave us doctors for a reason, and perhaps a good doctor can help you find some solutions that don’t include benzodiazepines!

Walking helped me tremedously Angela. I'm thinking of sharing a testimony of how I got a grip over the anxiety that tried to keep a grip over me. I'd sure appreciate your input and feedback if you don't mind. ((Might be a couple of weeks before I share.))

As a sidenote: and I'm interested in your input - if a doctor puts someone on anti-depressants for anxiety with depression, well aren't anti-depressants stimulants? And wouldn't stimulants make anxiety worse? Is that why docs now prescribe 'downers'? As in the pams...

I can see how depression could be brought on by ongoing anxiety, because of the learned helplessness.

But I Loved it when I heard June Hunt say, "With Christ in us, the Hope of Glory, we are not without help - so we are not helpless. We are not without power and so, we are not powerless." Changed my mindset when I heard her put feeling helpless and powerless in that way.

Angela, I know you're probably very busy, but do you think anxiety has an intital trigger then? As in a past event that isn't dealt with?
God Bless.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Walking helped me tremedously Angela. I'm thinking of sharing a testimony of how I got a grip over the anxiety that tried to keep a grip over me. I'd sure appreciate your input and feedback if you don't mind. ((Might be a couple of weeks before I share.))

As a sidenote: and I'm interested in your input - if a doctor puts someone on anti-depressants for anxiety with depression, well aren't anti-depressants stimulants? And wouldn't stimulants make anxiety worse? Is that why docs now prescribe 'downers'? As in the pams...

I can see how depression could be brought on by ongoing anxiety, because of the learned helplessness.

But I Loved it when I heard June Hunt say, "With Christ in us, the Hope of Glory, we are not without help - so we are not helpless. We are not without power and so, we are not powerless." Changed my mindset when I heard her put feeling helpless and powerless in that way.

Angela, I know you're probably very busy, but do you think anxiety has an intital trigger then? As in a past event that isn't dealt with?
God Bless.

Certainly for some people, like me, there was a specific incident that triggered it. And it continued to be triggered, because I could not physically remove myself from the situation. If I could have stopped driving my daughter, would it have gotten worse? I don’t know. In a way, I am glad I did experience that level of anxiety, because it is so common, and I didn’t understand it. I would tell people “shake it off” or “just forget about it,” which was not an appropriate or compassionate way to deal with it.

I do know quite a few people with GAD or Generalize Anxiety Disorder. There is always something in their childhood that was not right. I think of my sister, and she has serious GAD. But, did something happen, or was it acquired by watching our mother, who got worse and worse over the years with her anxiety/depression?

Another alternative is that there are certain “personality” types, for want of a better word, who seem more inclined to worry, and less able to shake off trauma and problems. My sister and I were raised by a strong, confident father, who just pushed me to work through difficulties. I just didn’t model myself after my mom’s very dependent and manipulative personality type. Before I was saved, I did hang out with women’s groups. The women would always ask me where I got my “assertiveness” training. Is that really a thing? I said, I was my father’s daughter, which confused them a lot. Then again, my sister is 8 years younger, perhaps a different parenting style by the time she was growing up?

I do think exercise is so important. It seems to burn off worry. I took up bicycling about 13 years ago. As in 30-35 km every day when there was no snow on the ground, and an hour indoors in winter. That has helped me so much. Except now, I am so hurt and damaged, I cannot ride. Well, perhaps the massage, chiro, and physiotherapy will help? And then there are the autoimmune diseases. People who are sick often come down with anxiety and depression. I won’t lie, my first years with Rheumatoid Arthritis, I was so depressed, I honestly don’t know how I made it! Except I do know, God helped me and he has used that understanding to help me minister to people who are hurting and broken. Which I think most of us are, in some way.

I had never thought about anti-anxiety meds being stimulating. I will look that up in my CPS. I don’t think it could be that much of a stimulant, because my friends with bipolar 1 cannot take anti-depressants, but they all take anti-anxiety meds. The anti-depressants stimulate them so much they become manic. In fact, quite a few people with bipolar 1 go to their family doctor when they are depressed, get on anti-depressants, become manic and end up psychotic in a psych ward. There, they get a diagnosis. I will look into it.

I am also not sure that depression is always caused by learned helplessness. And interesting thought. I have always been very independent, but, RA did knock me down, as I could not physically do things, so I did become somewhat helpless. However, the minute I got on good meds, I started working out, going to seminary, losing weight, and getting back my identity. And God, of course, was the greatest help in restoring me.

Interesting questions and discussion.

Feb 28, 2016
great Post Ang...,

if we belong to Jesus, if we are called and chosen, and elected, then if we have truly received
The Holy Spirit, then our 'bodies' become a side issue that Jesus assures us is of no consequence,
except in our own minds! when we are being taught and learning how to become 'NEW' in Christ,
then we accept His Will and we learn not to be overly concerned with our 'sinful-bodies' that we were,
are born with and what becomes of them under what ever circumstances...this is a hard thing to accept,
but it is true: He is concerned about our Spiritual situations, and not our physical in most circumstances,
except for His Glory...
this has been a very thing hard thing for me to accept, but one that I cannot not help but to believe in...

Loveyou

May 9, 2018
I have battled anxiety for most of my life. Even as a Christian . I had a friend btell me that if I have a panic attack or become anxious , to drink Gatorade. I really didn't put much thought into it but one day I tried it and it really helped . So I researched and found that the magnesium and other electrolytes have such a calming effect . So it is a deficiency . I do still get anxious ...but if I start feeling that crippling panicky feeling , I drink some electrolytes . And I pray ....read God's word , and praise God . This has helped me a lot

peacenik

May 11, 2016
Yoga exercises (especially breathing exercises), good walks, wholesome foods, and positive thinking has helped me in dealing with life's many ills. All that and a good power nap in the early afternoon are all so good for you!

Blessings .....

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I have battled anxiety for most of my life. Even as a Christian . I had a friend btell me that if I have a panic attack or become anxious , to drink Gatorade. I really didn't put much thought into it but one day I tried it and it really helped . So I researched and found that the magnesium and other electrolytes have such a calming effect . So it is a deficiency . I do still get anxious ...but if I start feeling that crippling panicky feeling , I drink some electrolytes . And I pray ....read God's word , and praise God . This has helped me a lot
I used to drink Gatorade everyday but switched to bottled water. Perhaps I will consider drinking it again. Actually, I like the taste and find it to be a refreshing beverage.

B

BROROB

prayers for you wade...
prov 6:2 and 23:7 let us know about how what we say or think can become our reality or even ensnare us...so first thing to do is not dwell on the what if questions or talk all the time about the negative...
Instead we look to phil 4:8 on what we should think abiut and such...

Look up combat or belly breathing...many of the strange feelings and sensation can be and usually is a result of going into fight or fl8gjt mode...by slowing and down your breathing you can move out of panic mode and ride out the storm alot faster and better....
also the bible lets us know that perfect live casts out fear....that perfect love is found from Jesus..so seek him in all your ways..
Use your sword....study the word, memorize scriptures an say them out loud when in need, their is power in the word , also in the name of Jesus..
Study about the armor of God...
And remember....God called you for a reason, so never give up...
beware of the fanatics that wanna say your not saved or have enough faith they got no clue what they are talking about.

God bless you.

Jul 23, 2018
Yoga exercises (especially breathing exercises), good walks, wholesome foods, and positive thinking has helped me in dealing with life's many ills. All that and a good power nap in the early afternoon are all so good for you!

Blessings .....
That yoga is not of God.
Flirting with satan himself.
Like dumping a garbage can of demons on your head and cc members

Oct 7, 2018
excessive anxiety, in our experience, is a lack of true Faith and Trust and living for our Holy Saviour...
when and if we come to this realization, and seek Him and His Ways, and have a true and genuine
desire to live according to His 'rules', then our human spirits and minds will begin to find and
embrace an Holy Path-Way to learn how to abide and prosper in His World/ His ways,
that will bring us into His Peace and Serenity, thus giving us a Holy Spiritual reason to live...
Even if we choose to embrace God fully, we still have to unlearn the things our bodies have been doing because of fear, depression... etc etc. Even if we chose to embrace his will for our life, we are still deeply troubled by intrusive thoughts and reactions to those we are to weak to control. Having faith in your self to be all that God has made you to be is hard for a person who may rely on others to fulfill their needs. Anxiety comes in many forms of fear in something, and if you have victimized yourself so much, letting go of the fear of yourself, and embracing yourself as confident, worthy, and able can be one heck of a ride. I feel immensely for your pain and pray for all who suffer from mental illness ❤️