Anyone else have trouble with motivation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
It seems like even since I was a child, I have had trouble with being motivated to anything other than fun stuff or stuff I'm obligated to do..... With dad it was different, I KNEW I was supposed to help him. But....I don't know......maybe it's my medicine because when I sometimes did feel motivated it was from feelings of mass guilt or fear....

Is it.....depression maybe.....???

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Go to the coffee thread....

they will solve your motivation problem.

----------

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
It seems like even since I was a child, I have had trouble with being motivated to anything other than fun stuff or stuff I'm obligated to do..... With dad it was different, I KNEW I was supposed to help him. But....I don't know......maybe it's my medicine because when I sometimes did feel motivated it was from feelings of mass guilt or fear....

Is it.....depression maybe.....???
Being motivated is a matter of discipline.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
DIscipline to..do things? Discipline to not lay around?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Okay... so seriously...

Often people feel more motivated when they set clear goals, and then develop clear plans to reach those goals.

---------------

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Have you been evaluated for ADD/ADHD? I had severe problem with getting things done and considered myself a failure. Then, in my early thirties, I was diagnosed with ADHD and got on medication. My whole world changed in just minutes, literally.

I still have problems but I like to think I am making slow progress on them on occasion.

I still have had problems getting things done. But a week ago I started using a device called "Alpha-Stim" that has been approved by the FDA for treatment of depression, anxiety, and insomnia. It has a great many other benefits as well.

I am using it throughout the day and I have more energy and am much more motivated to get things done around the house that have been waiting for months and years.

PM me if you are interested in learning more.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
You know, my therapist actually asked if she could help me with some ADD stuff when daddy was sick but I didn't wanna have to deal with more changes during that time. Maybe I should give her a call...

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Please do. I won't hurt, and it may help gloriously.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
DIscipline to..do things? Discipline to not lay around?
I would say disciplined to do the necessary steps to get to where you want to be. Yes, a determination not to waste precious time in excessive lounging around would be an example of discipline.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
You know, my therapist actually asked if she could help me with some ADD stuff when daddy was sick but I didn't wanna have to deal with more changes during that time. Maybe I should give her a call...
In my opinion, relying on your therapist to maintain the status quo will only stifle your motivation and stagnant your spiritual growth. Ask yourself, has this therapist really helped me in facing the challenges of life removing the fear of the unknown that is currently holding you back? If the answer is no I would cancel your next appointment.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Tourist, I think you may be being a bit too harsh about therapists. There are a lot of tools that are now available to help people make progress in their lives, according to their own opinion. A godly therapist can work "miracles" for people who have been taught the wrong ways to approach life.

What do you mean "maintain the status quo"?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I only seem to have trouble with motivation when I'm at work, surrounded by a bunch of Yahoo's! :eek:

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
It seems like when I have something to look forward to I tend to be more excited! Perhaps a "reward" of some kind. Watch a favorite movie, play a videogame, something

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Tourist, I think you may be being a bit too harsh about therapists. There are a lot of tools that are now available to help people make progress in their lives, according to their own opinion. A godly therapist can work "miracles" for people who have been taught the wrong ways to approach life.

What do you mean "maintain the status quo"?
Yeah, my reply was lame. I probably could benefit from therapy also. :)