Apostle? or sent one?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
One thing that has caused me to wonder is.

Why did the translators translate the Greek word apostle leaving it apostle and not "sent one" the English translation.. . ?

I don't think there is one translation that uses the English translation "sent one" .Like in the example below

1 Corinthians 1:1 Paul called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

1 Corinthians 1:1 Paul called to be sent of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

Apostle means "sent one" with no other meaning added.

Was it a reflection of Catholicism that copied the Jewish law of the fathers the Pharisees with Sadducees that needed to create a false power of authority?

Some today define "sent one" as those who saw the Lord.. (eye witnesses) and make the word non effect even today .Seeing he still sends men out with prophecy the gospel in order to prophecy or declare the unseen will of God. as if the great commission ended with them. Creating an apostolical time period.

In the old testament God is shown sending out his prophets. The Hebrew equivalent is not used.

No authority comes from those sent. God can speak his will through a donkey a unclean animal to represent unbelieving mankind.

In that way we protect the integrity of the word of God by finding the foundation of the word .Otherwise men can give the illusion they were sent as if they the fathers were the authority and we must seek the approval of those who lord it over all things written in the law and the prophets.

Paul moved by the authroity of God who worked in his earthen body of death declared, using his own self as a example not to change the meaning of the word. Into a puffed prideful self delusional power. Which some denominations have .Catholicism again the easiest to see. They have destroyed the meaning.

1 Corinthians 4:5-7 King James Version (KJV) , I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

It violates the commandment below.( Deuteronomy 4: 2)

Changing the meaning on one word can destroy the meaning in commandments (plural) .Also destroying the intended use in parables.

Another warning at the end of inspired prophecy at the end .Sealed with 7 seals . A warning not to add or subtract and seek after lying wonders as if it was God speaking adding to the book of prophecy the whole Bible. both are used to protect the integrity of the one author and finisher of our new born again faith. . . Christ.

Again every word has asigned meaning that cannot be altered by plagiarism. . passing it off if it was there own . False sent ones (shalach Hebrew, or apostle Greek ). They are not send of God but earthly inspired of the father of lies in his attempt to lord it over all things written in the law and the prophets making the word of God to no effect.

Deuteronomy 4: 2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

Mar 28, 2016
I would add . If the Bible used the actual meaning verbatim "sent one". Then other meanings as deception would not be so easy to add and change the commandments .

Again like for instance some say an apostle is one that that has literally seen the lord .As if we did walk after what the eyes see the temporal and not the unseen eternal faith that comes from hearing. It would also dispel the idea apostolic time period. Rather than the reformation time period .

Knowing from the beginning God sent out men with his prophecy as "sent ones" (apostles) . Abel is the first recorded one sent to do the will of God and first recorded martyr.

Others have changed the meaning of sent ones to venerable ones. Or limit sent ones to 12. When there are 27 listed in the new testament to in include the apostle Jesus, the Son of man .

I think if every person that was sent by God do do the will of God declare the word of God was written down. Many books would be needed

Catholiscim must of had much power to influence in that way. I would think surely it is not of the Holy Spirit he does not author confusion.

The 12 set aside had a different purpose .Which gets lost with al the different meanings

stepbystep

Aug 31, 2020
Interesting Post.

The Merriam-Webster gives a more in depth definition of Apostle.

FYI

Definition of apostle

1: one sent on a mission: such as
a: one of an authoritative New Testament group sent out to preach the gospel and made up especially of Christ's 12 original disciples and Paul
b: the first prominent Christian missionary to a region or groupSt. Boniface, the Apostle of Germany
2a: a person who initiates a great moral reform or who first advocates an important belief or system
b: an ardent supporter : ADHERENTapostles of high technology
3: the highest ecclesiastical official in some church organizations
4: one of a Mormon administrative council of 12 men
Other Words from apostle

Those in red seem to best concern the use of Apostle in Scripture to me.

stepbystep

Aug 31, 2020
The King James Dictionary defines Apostle:

APOS'TLE, n. L. apostalus; Gr. to send away, to sent.
A person deputed to execute some important business; but appropriately, a disciple of Christ commissioned to preach the gospel. Twelve persons were selected by Christ for this purpose; and Judas, one of the number, proving an apostate, his place was supplied by Matthias. Acts 1.

The title of apostle is applied to Christ himself, Heb. 3. In the primitive ages of the church, other ministers were called apostles, Rom. 16; as were persons sent to carry alms from one church to another, Philip. 2. This title was also given to persons who first planted the Christian faith. Thus Dionysius of Corinth is called the apostle of France; and the Jesuit Missionaries are called apostles.

Among the Jews, the title was given to officers who were sent into distant provinces, as visitors or commissioners, to see the laws observed.

Apostle, in the Greek liturgy, is a book contained the epistles of St. Paul, printed in the order in which they are to be read in churches, through the year.

Mar 28, 2016
Interesting Post.

The Merriam-Webster gives a more in depth definition of Apostle.

FYI

Definition of apostle

1: one sent on a mission: such as
a: one of an authoritative New Testament group sent out to preach the gospel and made up especially of Christ's 12 original disciples and Paul
b: the first prominent Christian missionary to a region or groupSt. Boniface, the Apostle of Germany
2a: a person who initiates a great moral reform or who first advocates an important belief or system
b: an ardent supporter : ADHERENTapostles of high technology
3: the highest ecclesiastical official in some church organizations
4: one of a Mormon administrative council of 12 men
Other Words from apostle

Those in red seem to best concern the use of Apostle in Scripture to me.
Thanks for the reply.

The first prominent missionary was sent to his unbelieving faithless brother Cain. Abel is the first recoded apostle. The first recorded martyr.

I would offer the Bible is its own interpreter. As we study it according to the loving Command, in that law of faith he informs us to seek his unseen approval, not of ourselves or others . Two walking in agreement should be our goal I would think .

Like with Peter, not what do men say or teach but rather what does our father in heaven reveal. We must be careful how we hear what the Spirit says to the churches, Christians.

Apostles as sent ones are not a authority, And more than 12 apostles are listed 27 to include the Son of man the apostle Jesus.

I would offer God is not served by the hands of a corrupted dying powerless mankind.

That can be seen in a ceremonial law, a teaching tool using clean animals like a Lamb to represent the redeemed, and unclean like a donkey to represent those not redeemed

Exodus 34:20 But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem him not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.

Break the neck is used to indicate the spirit of judgement through the Bible

Like many the ceremonial laws it show the law and then as a witness an example working in the mouth of apostles sent ones.

Numbers 22:28 And the Lord opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?

The same applies to the parable in Mathew 7. . . to the many . He was not saying that he did not prophecy or declare the will of God, he then attributes the wonderworks of God as if he willed it and was not sent as a spiritual gift. The Holy Spirt did not sent him. His name is Jealous he owns all things. He will not share the good works he works in with us .We have the reward . . .we hear and believe.

Mathew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me ye that work iniquity.

Mathew 7:28-29 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

Not as the scribes. . They are them that were set aside to preserve the authority being moved from within to write it down with the finger of God. It is not of them that are sent to plant the seed that are something but the authority behind the seed of the word.. Jesus taught them as one having a authority working in him, to do the will of our unseen God.

The 12 set aside have another purpose.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

The first prominent missionary was sent to his unbelieving faithless brother Cain. Abel is the first recoded apostle. The first recorded martyr.

I would offer the Bible is its own interpreter. As we study it according to the loving Command, in that law of faith he informs us to seek his unseen approval, not of ourselves or others . Two walking in agreement should be our goal I would think .

Like with Peter, not what do men say or teach but rather what does our father in heaven reveal. We must be careful how we hear what the Spirit says to the churches, Christians.

Apostles as sent ones are not a authority, And more than 12 apostles are listed 27 to include the Son of man the apostle Jesus.

I would offer God is not served by the hands of a corrupted dying powerless mankind.

That can be seen in a ceremonial law, a teaching tool using clean animals like a Lamb to represent the redeemed, and unclean like a donkey to represent those not redeemed

Exodus 34:20 But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem him not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.

Break the neck is used to indicate the spirit of judgement through the Bible

Like many the ceremonial laws it show the law and then as a witness an example working in the mouth of apostles sent ones.

Numbers 22:28 And the Lord opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?

The same applies to the parable in Mathew 7. . . to the many . He was not saying that he did not prophecy or declare the will of God, he then attributes the wonderworks of God as if he willed it and was not sent as a spiritual gift. The Holy Spirt did not sent him. His name is Jealous he owns all things. He will not share the good works he works in with us .We have the reward . . .we hear and believe.

Mathew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me ye that work iniquity.

Mathew 7:28-29 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

Not as the scribes. . They are them that were set aside to preserve the authority being moved from within to write it down with the finger of God. It is not of them that are sent to plant the seed that are something but the authority behind the seed of the word.. Jesus taught them as one having a authority working in him, to do the will of our unseen God.

The 12 set aside have another purpose.

You say the Bible is its own interpreter, but then you insist that the word, "apostle" has only one meaning, which is contradictory. Very few words have only one definition. The translators chose words that, in their opinion, best represent the meaning of the original-language word, but that does not mean that a given word in English is only ever chosen to represent one concept in the original language. The reader must consider the context in which the word is found. "Apostle" does indeed mean "sent one" but it also means "a special envoy of Jesus Christ". Abel was not a special envoy in that sense, but Paul was.

Mar 28, 2016
You say the Bible is its own interpreter, but then you insist that the word, "apostle" has only one meaning, which is contradictory. Very few words have only one definition. The translators chose words that, in their opinion, best represent the meaning of the original-language word, but that does not mean that a given word in English is only ever chosen to represent one concept in the original language. The reader must consider the context in which the word is found. "Apostle" does indeed mean "sent one" but it also means "a special envoy of Jesus Christ". Abel was not a special envoy in that sense, but Paul was.
I think the inspired word of God was spoken in the language of the hearing and written . Mysteries are hid in parables not foreign languages . They should provide faith not wonders.

Synonyms do not change the foundation of the word ."Authoritative one" does not replace "sent one."

All believers are special .God is not respecter of persons of corrupted flesh and blood as that he forms Christ in us .

He can send it through a Donkey or the casting of lots or a rainbow he is not served by human hands in any way shape or form .He is the a God who satisfices all needs, needing nothing from the clay

Out of all the sinners in the word he chose us to be with him forever. Using foreign words as a way of adding new meaning is not a biblically teaching from what I can see. . Every word has a meaning attached to it.

We are warned in Deuteronomy 4:2 not to add new meanings to onw word . . it defines plagiarism . .and violates the first commandment . Have no lying spirits before me .

The law of the fathers who change meaning of a legion of words in order to lord it over the flock (non venerable pew sitters) It is a well know wile of the devil . (you shall surely not die .changing dying into living .)

Look at me and live. . why pay attention to the unseen things of some God that has no form.

Why do you think he set aside 12 from the legion ?.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
One thing that has caused me to wonder is.

Why did the translators translate the Greek word apostle leaving it apostle and not "sent one" the English translation.. . ?

I don't think there is one translation that uses the English translation "sent one" .Like in the example below

1 Corinthians 1:1 Paul called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

1 Corinthians 1:1 Paul called to be sent of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

Apostle means "sent one" with no other meaning added.

Was it a reflection of Catholicism that copied the Jewish law of the fathers the Pharisees with Sadducees that needed to create a false power of authority?

Some today define "sent one" as those who saw the Lord.. (eye witnesses) and make the word non effect even today .Seeing he still sends men out with prophecy the gospel in order to prophecy or declare the unseen will of God. as if the great commission ended with them. Creating an apostolical time period.

In the old testament God is shown sending out his prophets. The Hebrew equivalent is not used.

No authority comes from those sent. God can speak his will through a donkey a unclean animal to represent unbelieving mankind.

In that way we protect the integrity of the word of God by finding the foundation of the word .Otherwise men can give the illusion they were sent as if they the fathers were the authority and we must seek the approval of those who lord it over all things written in the law and the prophets.

Paul moved by the authroity of God who worked in his earthen body of death declared, using his own self as a example not to change the meaning of the word. Into a puffed prideful self delusional power. Which some denominations have .Catholicism again the easiest to see. They have destroyed the meaning.

1 Corinthians 4:5-7 King James Version (KJV) , I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

It violates the commandment below.( Deuteronomy 4: 2)

Changing the meaning on one word can destroy the meaning in commandments (plural) .Also destroying the intended use in parables.

Another warning at the end of inspired prophecy at the end .Sealed with 7 seals . A warning not to add or subtract and seek after lying wonders as if it was God speaking adding to the book of prophecy the whole Bible. both are used to protect the integrity of the one author and finisher of our new born again faith. . . Christ.

Again every word has asigned meaning that cannot be altered by plagiarism. . passing it off if it was there own . False sent ones (shalach Hebrew, or apostle Greek ). They are not send of God but earthly inspired of the father of lies in his attempt to lord it over all things written in the law and the prophets making the word of God to no effect.

Deuteronomy 4: 2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.
1 cor 1.1 kjv 1¶Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
Acts 9.15
But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

1 cor 15 5And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
7After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
8And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
9¶For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
10But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Synonyms do not change the foundation of the word ."Authoritative one" does not replace "sent one."
However, "apostle" has more than one meaning, even within Scripture. Deal with it.

All believers are special .God is not respecter of persons of corrupted flesh and blood as that he forms Christ in us .
God initially chose 12, not "all believers", to be apostles. God chose a handful, not "all believers", to be prophets. God chose some, not "all", to be priests. God chose some, not "all", to be kings. God chose Paul, not "all believers", to be the apostle to the Gentiles. It's not about the person being special, but rather about their assignment from God being special.

Out of all the sinners in the word he chose us to be with him forever. Using foreign words as a way of adding new meaning is not a biblically teaching from what I can see. . Every word has a meaning attached to it.
You clearly didn't understand my point.

We are warned in Deuteronomy 4:2 not to add new meanings to onw word
No we aren't. Deuteronomy 4:2 says, "Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you." There's nothing in there about adding new meanings. There is also nothing there about not recognizing that most words do, in fact, have more than one meaning.

. . it defines plagiarism
Plagiarism is taking credit for the work of another. It has nothing to do with meanings of words.

. .and violates the first commandment . Have no lying spirits before me .
That's not the first commandment, which is actually, "You shall have no other gods before Me." You are the one adding to and subtracting from Scripture!

The law of the fathers who change meaning of a legion of words in order to lord it over the flock (non venerable pew sitters)
Please take a class in basic English grammar so that you learn how to form coherent sentences. This ^^^ isn't one. It also has no basis in Scripture.

Mar 28, 2016
Dino246, post: 4371940, member: 223333"]However, "apostle" has more than one meaning, even within Scripture. Deal with it.
You're doing the dealing time for a show of hand. .

More than one meaning?. What is it or them. . how many? ?

Sent with prophecy ?

The old assume . make Balaam donkey out of u and me.?

God initially chose 12, not "all believers", to be apostles. God chose a handful, not "all believers", to be prophets. God chose some, not "all", to be priests. God chose some, not "all", to be kings. God chose Paul, not "all believers", to be the apostle to the Gentiles. It's not about the person being special, but rather about their assignment from God being special.
No not all believers, just all of the multitude he sends out two by two .He is still sending them today. The spiritual gift has not ceased .

That's not the first commandment, which is actually, "You shall have no other gods before Me." You are the one adding to and subtracting from Scripture!

Please take a class in basic English grammar so that you learn how to form coherent sentences. This ^^^ isn't one. It also has no basis in Scripture.[
Thanks . You make a good teacher. How should I have said it ?

Yes, I should of said spirit gods before Me.". Some might not understand spirits are gods. Its unseen spirit gods legion we wrestles against not flesh and blood the temporal seen.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
The word apostle or apostolos is from the Greek, meaning an ambassador; one who is sent; a delegated authority. The word was used for high ranking naval officers in classical Greek times. An apostle of Jesus Christ was the highest ranking official in the local churches, 1 Cor. 12:28.
Apostles of Jesus Christ were appointed by God the Father for the purpose of establishing churches and spreading new truth, Eph. 3:1‑10. There were both the spiritual gift and office of apostleship. The spiritual gift was the divine enabling to function as an apostle, Eph. 4:11, 1 Cor. 12:28, 29. The office of apostleship was the authority to function as an apostle, Rom. 1:5, Acts 1:25, Gal. 2:8.
Some of the uses of apostolos outside of the Bible are:
  • In the classical Greek period (4th and 5th centuries B.C.), apostolos was used by Lysias and Demosthenes to refer to the commander of a naval expedition. When the Athenians went to war, there was a number of men qualified to command the fleet. One of these was elected by lot and sent to the fleet to command it. He was called apostolos.
  • During the Hellenistic period (323 B.C. and following) apostolos was used to refer to a person commissioned and authorized by one of the gods.
  • In the Papyri of the koine period apostolos was used to refer to a civil agent sent to transact official business.
In the New Testament, the apostles of Jesus Christ fall into two classes:
  • The apostles of Jesus Christ to Israel, Luke 6:12‑16. These were appointed by Jesus Christ according to the will of God the Father. These men were authorized to announce to Israel that their Messiah was present; and they were endowed with miraculous powers, Luke 9:1, 2.
  • The apostles of Jesus Christ to the church. These included the eleven disciples (Acts 1:26), Paul (Rom. 1:1, etc.), James the brother of Christ (Gal. 1:19) and Barnabas (Acts 14:14).
The Qualifications of an Apostle
An apostle had to have the spiritual gift of apostleship. The gift was provided by Jesus Christ after His ascension into heaven, Eph. 4:8‑11. The gift was imparted by the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost, 1 Cor. 12:11; Acts 2.
The apostle received his gift and office by the sovereign decision of God the Father, 1 Cor. 1:1; 12:18; Eph. 1:1; Col. 1:1.
The apostle had to have been an eyewitness of the resurrected Lord, Acts 1:22; 1 Cor. 9:1.
The Credentials of an Apostle
An apostle was endowed with miraculous powers of miracles, Heb. 2:4; 2 Cor. 12:12.
An apostle had success in evangelism, 2 Cor. 3:1‑3; Gal. 2:7‑9.
An apostle had the capacity to suffer patiently, 2 Cor. 12:12.
The Function of an Apostle
Apostles received and communicated new revelation, Eph. 3:2-6.
Apostles communicated the gospel effectively and people accepted Christ in response to their preaching, 1 Cor. 9:1; Gal. 2:7‑9.
Apostles helped organize local churches and appointed officers, Acts 14:23; Tit. 1:5.
Apostles trained new believers in doctrine, 1 Thess. 1:5 to 2:12.
Apostles had the authority to administer discipline to believers, Acts 5:1‑10; 1 Tim. 1:20; 1 Cor. 4:21; 2 Cor. 13:2.
The apostle had authority over all local churches because he was the channel of New Testament revelation. Since the time of the apostles, no one has been given authority over more than one local church.
The apostle Paul was the most grace oriented apostle. He realized that he was the least deserving to be an apostle, 1 Cor. 15:9. He was the most productive because of grace, 1 Cor. 15:10. There were false apostles who communicated false information, 2 Cor. 11:13; Rev. 2:2.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You're doing the dealing time for a show of hand. .

More than one meaning?. What is it or them. . how many? ?

Sent with prophecy ?

The old assume . make Balaam donkey out of u and me.?
The relevant word would be "observe", not "assume". I "observe" that the word "apostle" is used with different meanings in Scripture.

No not all believers, just all of the multitude he sends out two by two .He is still sending them today. The spiritual gift has not ceased .
Paul makes that clear in 1 Corinthians 12:29-30 that only some are apostles.

Thanks . You make a good teacher. How should I have said it ?
Take a class. You can probably sign up for an online course in basic English through your nearest community college. If you can function on this site, you can manage an online course.

Yes, I should of said spirit gods before Me.". Some might not understand spirits are gods. Its unseen spirit gods legion we wrestles against not flesh and blood the temporal seen.
You would still be adding to Scripture. It doesn't say, "You shall have no spirit gods before Me"; it says, "You shall have no gods before Me".

Mar 28, 2016
The word apostle or apostolos is from the Greek, meaning an ambassador; one who is sent; a delegated authority. The word was used for high ranking naval officers in classical Greek times. An apostle of Jesus Christ was the highest ranking official in the local churches, 1 Cor. 12:28.
Apostles of Jesus Christ were appointed by God the Father for the purpose of establishing churches and spreading new truth, Eph. 3:1‑10. There were both the spiritual gift and office of apostleship. The spiritual gift was the divine enabling to function as an apostle, Eph. 4:11, 1 Cor. 12:28, 29. The office of apostleship was the authority to function as an apostle, Rom. 1:5, Acts 1:25, Gal. 2:8.
Some of the uses of apostolos outside of the Bible are:
  • In the classical Greek period (4th and 5th centuries B.C.), apostolos was used by Lysias and Demosthenes to refer to the commander of a naval expedition. When the Athenians went to war, there was a number of men qualified to command the fleet. One of these was elected by lot and sent to the fleet to command it. He was called apostolos.
  • During the Hellenistic period (323 B.C. and following) apostolos was used to refer to a person commissioned and authorized by one of the gods.
  • In the Papyri of the koine period apostolos was used to refer to a civil agent sent to transact official business.
In the New Testament, the apostles of Jesus Christ fall into two classes:
  • The apostles of Jesus Christ to Israel, Luke 6:12‑16. These were appointed by Jesus Christ according to the will of God the Father. These men were authorized to announce to Israel that their Messiah was present; and they were endowed with miraculous powers, Luke 9:1, 2.
  • The apostles of Jesus Christ to the church. These included the eleven disciples (Acts 1:26), Paul (Rom. 1:1, etc.), James the brother of Christ (Gal. 1:19) and Barnabas (Acts 14:14).
The Qualifications of an Apostle
An apostle had to have the spiritual gift of apostleship. The gift was provided by Jesus Christ after His ascension into heaven, Eph. 4:8‑11. The gift was imparted by the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost, 1 Cor. 12:11; Acts 2.
The apostle received his gift and office by the sovereign decision of God the Father, 1 Cor. 1:1; 12:18; Eph. 1:1; Col. 1:1.
The apostle had to have been an eyewitness of the resurrected Lord, Acts 1:22; 1 Cor. 9:1.
The Credentials of an Apostle
An apostle was endowed with miraculous powers of miracles, Heb. 2:4; 2 Cor. 12:12.
An apostle had success in evangelism, 2 Cor. 3:1‑3; Gal. 2:7‑9.
An apostle had the capacity to suffer patiently, 2 Cor. 12:12.
The Function of an Apostle
Apostles received and communicated new revelation, Eph. 3:2-6.
Apostles communicated the gospel effectively and people accepted Christ in response to their preaching, 1 Cor. 9:1; Gal. 2:7‑9.
Apostles helped organize local churches and appointed officers, Acts 14:23; Tit. 1:5.
Apostles trained new believers in doctrine, 1 Thess. 1:5 to 2:12.
Apostles had the authority to administer discipline to believers, Acts 5:1‑10; 1 Tim. 1:20; 1 Cor. 4:21; 2 Cor. 13:2.
The apostle had authority over all local churches because he was the channel of New Testament revelation. Since the time of the apostles, no one has been given authority over more than one local church.
The apostle Paul was the most grace oriented apostle. He realized that he was the least deserving to be an apostle, 1 Cor. 15:9. He was the most productive because of grace, 1 Cor. 15:10. There were false apostles who communicated false information, 2 Cor. 11:13; Rev. 2:2.
The apostles had no authority of their own . Paul using his own self as a example dared not puff him self up saying what was freely given was not freely given but earned.

1 Corihtinans 4: 6-7 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another. For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

The apostle Abel was murdered by the father of lies. Satan is a murderer from that beginning. He was martyred because he did bring the authoritative power of God who worked in Abel to both will and do his good pleasure.

Same power that works in us or the Son of man Jesus, the apostle

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

The apostle Paul is one of my favorites. He was sent to plant the gracious word of God, the incorruptible, born again seed. Just as Balaam's donkey was sent on a successful mission or a work of faith, Gods labor of love..

God is not served by human hands (flesh and blood) in any way shape or form. . He has no favorites. He works in each believer to will and do his good pleasure.

Paul's productivity is not accredited to Paul any more than Balaam's donkey . Accrediting it to either I think would spell blasphemy .

1 Corihtinans 3:6 7 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Apostle = sent one .

Why set aside 12 out of the many ? There must be a purpose.

Mar 28, 2016
You would still be adding to Scripture. It doesn't say, "You shall have no spirit gods before Me"; it says, "You shall have no gods before Me".
Adding synonyms ? We are talking about changing the definition destroying its use throughout the Bible ..

Like the word seed. . . . . . . . hid in parables.

Galatians 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Many chase after the literal flesh not finding the spiritual understanding hid in the parables .

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
The apostles had no authority of their own . Paul using his own self as a example dared not puff him self up saying what was freely given was not freely given but earned.

1 Corihtinans 4: 6-7 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another. For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

The apostle Abel was murdered by the father of lies. Satan is a murderer from that beginning. He was martyred because he did bring the authoritative power of God who worked in Abel to both will and do his good pleasure.

Same power that works in us or the Son of man Jesus, the apostle

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

The apostle Paul is one of my favorites. He was sent to plant the gracious word of God, the incorruptible, born again seed. Just as Balaam's donkey was sent on a successful mission or a work of faith, Gods labor of love..

God is not served by human hands (flesh and blood) in any way shape or form. . He has no favorites. He works in each believer to will and do his good pleasure.

Paul's productivity is not accredited to Paul any more than Balaam's donkey . Accrediting it to either I think would spell blasphemy .

1 Corihtinans 3:6 7 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Apostle = sent one .

Why set aside 12 out of the many ? There must be a purpose.
Abel was no Apostle. You are adding to what is written.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Adding synonyms ? We are talking about changing the definition destroying its use throughout the Bible ..

Like the word seed. . . . . . . . hid in parables.

Galatians 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Many chase after the literal flesh not finding the spiritual understanding hid in the parables .
Unless you know the original language, you are not qualified to add synonyms to Scripture, because the synonyms may change the meaning.

The example you provided works well to illustrate my point: "You shall not have any spirit gods before Me"; so human gods is okay, right? It's fine for the early Christians to bow down to Caesar, because he was a man and not a spirit?

No. Adding words is adding words. Don't do it.

Mar 28, 2016
Abel was no Apostle. You are adding to what is written.
I am offering my opinion as to what I believe it says. Not sure if that's adding ?

Our brother in Christ Abel first martyr . first also used in the first defining of the foundation of paganism atheism. (out of sight out of mind) No God in Cain's heart . I would think the first teaches in respect to man's anger that does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. When angry with God natural mankind looks for condemning fault in others. Not getting the log out of there own eye. As a hater he had no love for his brother. Love is not jealous. The pride of unbelief, no faith, comes before the fall.

Most doctrines are found in Genesis. Not Acts .

Genesis 4: 5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

Cain refused to walk by the faith of Christ, when hearing the gospel preached by his brother the apostle Abel. Cain the marked man invited him into the corn field . . plowed him under. . . out of sight out of mind. As in who believes in things not seen ?

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
I am offering my opinion as to what I believe it says. Not sure if that's adding ?

Our brother in Christ Abel first martyr . first also used in the first defining of the foundation of paganism atheism. (out of sight out of mind) No God in Cain's heart . I would think the first teaches in respect to man's anger that does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. When angry with God natural mankind looks for condemning fault in others. Not getting the log out of there own eye. As a hater he had no love for his brother. Love is not jealous. The pride of unbelief, no faith, comes before the fall.

Most doctrines are found in Genesis. Not Acts .

Genesis 4: 5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

Cain refused to walk by the faith of Christ, when hearing the gospel preached by his brother the apostle Abel. Cain the marked man invited him into the corn field . . plowed him under. . . out of sight out of mind. As in who believes in things not seen ?
When human opinion is substituted for what is written, it is adding.

I provided an in depth exegetical treatment of the Greek word and its origin and uses throughout history and Scripture. Abel has no qualifications whatsoever as be called an Apostle.

Mar 28, 2016
Unless you know the original language, you are not qualified to add synonyms to Scripture, because the synonyms may change the meaning.

The example you provided works well to illustrate my point: "You shall not have any spirit gods before Me"; so human gods is okay, right? It's fine for the early Christians to bow down to Caesar, because he was a man and not a spirit?

No. Adding words is adding words. Don't do it.
It was not my goal to add and change the appearance of the word. Just call it my transliteration. I will try not to use it.

The Youngs literal differs from the King James just as the Easy to Read . In that way there must heresies or private interpretations of men .

Synonyms do change the meaning. Different words, or words that add a different meaning do .

One example is in Mathew 28 where men again do not give the meaning of a word but the foreign original. Rest or sabbath, which means to rest with no other meaning added. Some have translated it as rest. . the correct translation .

While others like the SDA attempt to add time changing it into a time senititive word . Week which the Greek did not even have in their vocabulary in order to create a law of men unto themselves. . a work of self edifying, as a sign to wonder to themselves. . proof they have the working Holy Spirt in them. The incorrect translation . and therefore in the end of the matter. destroying the use of the word "rest" (sabaath) in other applications.

Incorrectly ...............Matthew 28 King James Version (KJV)28 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Correctly. . . Matthew 28 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)28 And on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre,

The new testament era of Sabbaths the same rest ( today if we hear his voice harden not one hearts) . Not once a ot twice a week but more in respect to today as long as today is under the sun . . .different era today .

But even the Youngs who performs it properly in Mathew fails in the other uses 9 times. Again the word week (ebdomada) is not rest(sabbath) .The sabbath is not a week or twice a ebdomada

Luke 18:12
I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all things -- as many as I possess.

No sign gifts to wonder after . (look I did it) Spiritual unseen gifts of faith "yes" .They work in the believer not of the believers .

Mar 28, 2016
When human opinion is substituted for what is written, it is adding.

I provided an in depth exegetical treatment of the Greek word and its origin and uses throughout history and Scripture. Abel has no qualifications whatsoever as be called an Apostle.
Did you try Hebrew.?

The word is sent one In Hebrew is Shalach . God Shalach Abraham and all who he worksin to both will and do his good pleaures ,Still sending them out two by two

Who sent Abel?

Geneisis 4: 8 And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him

Cain under the influence of the father of lies denied it.