Appropriating Grace

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It doesn't say Faith come from Reading the word of God.
It does not have to say "reading". That is a given. Reading, or hearing the Bible (the Word of God) read, or hearing the Gospel preached, are one and the same thing. So why are you splitting hairs?

R

Rasputin_OZ

It does not have to say "reading". That is a given. Reading, or hearing the Bible (the Word of God) read, or hearing the Gospel preached, are one and the same thing. So why are you splitting hairs?
because Faith hasn't come ….

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Is this your response to the OP or Is this just something you wanted to post?
Maybe the question should be,how do we appropriate grace through faith?
The OP question was:

How do we appropriate God's grace?

I gave my opinion/answer to that question = Thru faith. Then gave scripture I believe supports my posted position.

2ndly, simply because I wanted to add my view/opinion to the OP question. So, the answer to your question, to me is: BOTH!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
so if God doesn't speak to you then we are not getting faith.

Neither did I say that. It may come by hearing the preached Word.
Just as God's Word created the first creation as He spoke it into existence, so faith is created and built up when we hear the Gospel and His further Word.
How do you think faith is created? By God's silence? By osmosis?

R

Rasputin_OZ

Neither did I say that. It may come by hearing the preached Word.
Just as God's Word created the first creation as He spoke it into existence, so faith is created and built up when we hear the Gospel and His further Word.
How do you think faith is created? By God's silence? By osmosis?
No idea, but I have lost mine. so I guess no way to get it back .

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
No idea, but I have lost mine. so I guess no way to get it back .
I would suggest starting here...

(1Jn 1:8-9) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

And if Jesus expects us to forgive multiple times, how many more times will He towards us?...

Matthew 18:21-22 (KJV) Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

R

Rasputin_OZ

I would suggest starting here...

(1Jn 1:8-9) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

And if Jesus expects us to forgive multiple times, how many more times will He towards us?...

Matthew 18:21-22 (KJV) Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
But to whom do I confess once my faith is shaken? to Him whom I now doubt ?

CherieR

May 6, 2017
But to whom do I confess once my faith is shaken? to Him whom I now doubt ?
Yes you can confess your doubt to God. He already knows about it and cares about you. ☺ You can also talk to someone who you know and trust about the doubts as well. What exactly are you having doubts and shaken faith about if I may ask?

R

Rasputin_OZ

Yes you can confess your doubt to God. He already knows about it and cares about you. ☺ You can also talk to someone who you know and trust about the doubts as well. What exactly are you having doubts and shaken faith about if I may ask?
I just feeling so alone in this world. I am doubting that God has accepted me.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
I just feeling so alone in this world. I am doubting that God has accepted me.
What may be of help is looking up verses that addresses your concerns. Possibly look up verses on salvation, God's love, acceptance, peace, whatever subject really stands out to you. The parable of the prodigal son really speaks on the Father's acceptance. It is a really touching story Jesus told in
Luke 15:11-32.

Dec 12, 2013
That would be too quick a thread...
(Rom 10:17) So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
HAHAH I agree.....when I read his post it took me like .05 seconds to think of the verse you quoted and then another .03 seconds to think.....God has dealt to every man a measure of faith (except Christ)

Dec 9, 2011
so if God doesn't speak to you then we are not getting faith.

This Is Just my opinion,man does not have faith until GOD gives It to him but all men do have Is what GOD gave him and that Is the ability to understand with his 5 Senses.

See,taste,hear,smell and feel.

Dec 9, 2011
You can't. It is up to God whether or not to give grace, and up to you whether or not to accept it.
I get the feeling you are talking about salvation but how do we give out grace after salvation and In the process of renewing our minds to the new creation we have become.

The Bible does say grace For grace.What does ThAt mean?
John 1:14-16
King James Version

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

R

Rasputin_OZ

What may be of help is looking up verses that addresses your concerns. Possibly look up verses on salvation, God's love, acceptance, peace, whatever subject really stands out to you. The parable of the prodigal son really speaks on the Father's acceptance. It is a really touching story Jesus told in
Luke 15:11-32.
sadly it not working Reading his Word. I think I need prayer. To just get my Faith back , I need help in my unbeleif

Mezame83

Mar 18, 2019
"how do we come to a true or good understanding of the grace of God?"
I think each person has to have their own encounter to fully come to a heart understanding of God's grace. It's easy to say you know what grace is out of intellectual knowledge and quote a bunch of scriptures. We don't deserve it but it's so good to know we serve a merciful God. For me, i came to an understanding when i went through things but by God's grace i'm forgiven. So maybe experience can help one come to understand God's grace.