Are Christians obligated to tithe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pengy
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
To Melchizedek, yes, (acknowledging his position as high priest) but one time only and from his spoils of WAR.
Do we have spoils of war today ?
[h=1]Proverbs 3:9-10King James Version (KJV)[/h]9 Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
10 So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
 
[h=2]Are Christians obligated to tithe?[/h].
Short answer: no.

2 Corinthians 9:7 "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver."
 
This is really awesome as well. Abraham recognized the men in these scriptures, and worshipped . We see two go towards sodom, and at the end of the following passage pasted...Abraham is yet before the Lord. They had earthen vessels that could eat food as well.Genesis 18 King James Version (KJV)18*And the Lord appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;2*And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,3*And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:4*Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:5*And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.6*And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.7*And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetcht a calf tender and good, and gave it unto a young man; and he hasted to dress it.8*And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.9*And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent.10*And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.11*Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women.12*Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?13*And the Lord said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?14*Is any thing too hard for the Lord? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.15*Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh.16*And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.17*And the Lord said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;18*Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?19*For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.20*And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;21*I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.22*And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the Lord.Verse 22 is awesome eh? I suppose this would be considered a free will offering concerning the food given which they did eat?
 
Last edited:
Might be off topic, but another worshipping the Lord. I assume we could call this another free will offering?

Genesis 19:1-3King James Version (KJV)

19*And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;

2*And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.

3*And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.

These two ate as well.
 
I thought about this, and this is what I have to offer my testimony. I am not rich, tax wise I am at poverty level. I have never not tithed. When my car in 2012 was totaled I told G-d you provided shoes to my people in the wilderness that never wore out and I need a car it is like shoos for me to go to work. He gave me a used 2008 Nissan car with only 8,000 miles on it for the price of my insurance check (only $4,000). When I got laid off from my job He found work for me within two weeks. That job didn’t pay much but I am a type 1 diabetic and I could by insulin to latterly live. Within 3 months I got the job I have now making a middle wage income. I believe OT, NT it’s all the living word of G-d even for today. When I do what His word tells me to do some how He just shows up and does His G-d thing and you just can’t get better than that!!!!!
 
I thought about this, and this is what I have to offer my testimony. I am not rich, tax wise I am at poverty level. I have never not tithed. When my car in 2012 was totaled I told G-d you provided shoes to my people in the wilderness that never wore out and I need a car it is like shoos for me to go to work. He gave me a used 2008 Nissan car with only 8,000 miles on it for the price of my insurance check (only $4,000). When I got laid off from my job He found work for me within two weeks. That job didn’t pay much but I am a type 1 diabetic and I could by insulin to latterly live. Within 3 months I got the job I have now making a middle wage income. I believe OT, NT it’s all the living word of G-d even for today. When I do what His word tells me to do some how He just shows up and does His G-d thing and you just can’t get better than that!!!!!

If the game I posted was being played...you could work full time according to the spirit.

2 Timothy 2:2-4King James Version (KJV)

2*And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

3*Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

4*No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Thank you for your testimony my brother.
 
Job 13:14-16King James Version (KJV)

14*Wherefore do I take my flesh in my teeth, and put my life in mine hand?

15*Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.

16*He also shall be my salvation: for an hypocrite shall not come before him.
 
I thought about this, and this is what I have to offer my testimony. I am not rich, tax wise I am at poverty level. I have never not tithed. When my car in 2012 was totaled I told G-d you provided shoes to my people in the wilderness that never wore out and I need a car it is like shoos for me to go to work. He gave me a used 2008 Nissan car with only 8,000 miles on it for the price of my insurance check (only $4,000). When I got laid off from my job He found work for me within two weeks. That job didn’t pay much but I am a type 1 diabetic and I could by insulin to latterly live. Within 3 months I got the job I have now making a middle wage income. I believe OT, NT it’s all the living word of G-d even for today. When I do what His word tells me to do some how He just shows up and does His G-d thing and you just can’t get better than that!!!!!
Praise God and His grace alone for such provision.
You didn't earn it through tithing.
But PRAISE GOD! Testimony of His provision is such a blessing to hear.
 
Will they be cursed if they don't?

Please provide biblical support for your answer.


[h=3]Malachi 3:8[/h]Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, ‘How have we robbed you?’ In your tithes and contributions.



[h=3]Luke 18:12[/h]I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.



[h=3]Hebrews 7:1-9[/h]For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, and to him Abraham apportioned a tenth part of everything. He is first, by translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then he is also king of Salem, that is, king of peace. He is without father or mother or genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but resembling the Son of God he continues a priest forever. See how great this man was to whom Abraham the patriarch gave a tenth of the spoils! And those descendants of Levi who receive the priestly office have a commandment in the law to take tithes from the people, that is, from their brothers, though these also are descended from Abraham.



[h=3]Matthew 23:23[/h]“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.



[h=3]Leviticus 27:30[/h]“Every tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the trees, is the Lord's; it is holy to the Lord.



[h=3]Acts 4:32-35[/h]Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common. And with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need.



Just a few verses that may have already been shared.I haven't read what others said.People argue black and blue over this saying its an OT command.My question is this...Why would you argue over giving to God? What about the widows mite? She gave ALL she had.Is 10% too much to give God? If you can give more you should.Does God not bless us for giving? Or does he bless stingy saints? Acts says "there was no needy among them" is that true in your church? It should not be.All belongs to God,not one red cent is our own.It is ridiculous to argue this point.Give and it will be given on to you!
 
Just a few verses that may have already been shared.I haven't read what others said.People argue black and blue over this saying its an OT command.My question is this...Why would you argue over giving to God?

Short answer?

Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
 
Will they be cursed if they don't?

Please provide biblical support for your answer.





Hebrews 7:1-9

For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, and to him Abraham apportioned a tenth part of everything. He is first, by translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then he is also king of Salem, that is, king of peace. He is without father or mother or genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but resembling the Son of God he continues a priest forever. See how great this man was to whom Abraham the patriarch gave a tenth of the spoils! And those descendants of Levi who receive the priestly office have a commandment in the law to take tithes from the people, that is, from their brothers, though these also are descended from Abraham.



Matthew 23:23

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.

In Matthew this is JESUS talking.
 
But what you will find my friend, is the words of Christ carry very little weight when someone's mind is made up.

it seems true. His burden, also, is not heavy.

we know he told the teachers of the law that they were children of the devil, not of Abraham, and to them He said 'you should have kept the weightier precepts of the law without neglecting the ordinances' -- but what did Christ say to His disciples?

When Peter came into the house, Jesus was the first to speak.
“
What do you think, Simon?” he asked.
“
From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes—from their own children or from others?”
“From others,” Peter answered.
“
Then the children are exempt” Jesus said to him.
(Matthew 17:25-26)

whose children are we?
 
Abraham did it to honour Melchizedek.

The Bible says Abraham tithed to honor the Lord, not a man, that a man might say he made Abraham rich. Genesis 14:21-23 (KJV)
[SUP]21 [/SUP] And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.
[SUP]22 [/SUP] And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
[SUP]23 [/SUP] That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:


Melchizedek gave all glory to God for the victory, with the other kings witnessing, saying Abram was the blessed of God.
 
And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
(Genesis 14:18-20)

i see no mention of a command given to Abraham -- it appears that this righteous man gave out of free will. out of free will also, and against the customs of the day, he conceded to the king of Sodom what he could have rightfully taken - that the Lord should be honored, instead of a man.
 
Do we have spoils of war today ?
Proverbs 3:9-10King James Version (KJV)

9 Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
10 So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.

When the war began between the kings, Lot and his whole family living in Sodom fell into captivity along with all his substance. When Abram heard of it, he went out with his men and retrieved Lot's family and substance. That would not properly be considered "spoils of war", but reclaiming what belonged to the rightful owner. Upon presenting to the victorious kings, it was ther king of Sodom that requested Lot and the family persons, letting Abram keep the property. Abram denied the request, but offered up a tenth of the property as a tithe, giving it to Melchizedek, king of Salem. I suppose Lot was in agreement out of appreciation of his family's freedom.

That tithe represented a token of all the property, acknowledging that God owns it all, that men are blessed by God to possess all.
 
And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
(Genesis 14:18-20)

i see no mention of a command given to Abraham -- it appears that this righteous man gave out of free will. out of free will also, and against the customs of the day, he conceded to the king of Sodom what he could have rightfully taken - that the Lord should be honored, instead of a man.

Quite true. Abram recognized his blessings of victory came from God, from whom Lot's substance came. God commended Abram for that all along to this day, forever recorded. I don't know of a single instance of a commanded tithe to be linked to a success story, but his free will tithe is so linked, Abram becoming fantastically wealthy from blessings of cattle and crops 430 years before the law came demanding the tithe without promises.

The children of Israel couldn't complain much seeing that the priests and Levites were forbidden to own land or inherit anything. They ministered to the things of God, while of course they were put in the position of depending on support from the other tribes. It was simply the proper thing to do.

It was well after the giving of the law commanding tithes that Malachi linked the tithe back to Abraham's blessing on the tithe, not the law, for the law promised no blessing, but curses for disobedience. Like with Abram, God was pleased over voluntary tithing, in Malachi promising blessings for the tither.

2 Cor 9 explains how it is that God looks to bless people according to their generosity. Giving little assures reaping little. Once again there is no promise of big blessings over small giving. This plays out around the world every day, most of the world living in deep poverty, yet among them some please God and live in prosperity.

Christians should not forever expect to find a place anywhere to worship in if unwilling to support one, but perhaps they will find a nice tree to sit under like the low caste folks in rural India have to do, if too few are willing to support the present/future buildings and ministers that tend to our assembling together and coordination of outreach together, etc. .I don't believe the Lord will put on a heart to give joyfully with good conscience a ten dollar bill a week when it ought to be a tithe amounting to $75 a week for a gross income of $750. The Church as we know it will not remain in public view on tips. If each Christian "goes it alone" deciding to whom and when to give a gift of some kind, then the Church will be divided and not a significant influence as a group. An example is a friend that stopped going to church because of some hypocrisy in it, saying he would just bless people in need. I asked him recently how many folks has he blessed. None. He is now convinced that if he gives someone food, they will trade it for pot, which fear stops the giving of money to anyone. So he is doing nothing other than sending a tv ministry $58 a month to get the $5,800 blessing this year.

A better way is to support a church that actually blesses their own community, like providing hot yummy meals to the needy, or sending pairs of women to minister directly to a needy family, providing pots, pans, food, teach to cook, send off payments for water, gas and electric so they can cook and be warm, counsel, pray with, spot needed repairs the men's ministry can tend to (turning in a work order), making widows comfortable, and many other ministry opportunities few of us could do alone. But when a church budget is met, great helps are afforded, and workers are available. Jesus sent disciples out in pairs, so how is it that a loner should go do the job?

The alternative is for the churches to disappear at the rate of 7,000 a year, the people scattering, remaining buildings unable to accommodate more people and the added expenses the new folks won't help with, with efforts to reach the world in disarray, missionaries not being supported until they find a worthy home to care for them, lacking coordination. In the end whatever is offered of significance would probably go to keeping ministry satellites in orbit and operating, with the unsaved in the world unable to find a Christian for help.

Of course every Christian ought to assemble themselves together somewhere. Why not get involved with a church that's still open, then get with them to determine what is needed from all to keep it going at least meeting a minimal budget? If your church asks for a monthly pledge it probably wouldn't be as much as a tithe. The tithers are the ones blessed according to the promise that receive enough from God to make up the difference, but ought not be expected to carry the whole burden. I hope folks are not taking the national entitlement mentality concerning a church budget, satisfied to let the wealthier pay all the bills, seeing they are blessed, while the ones giving little see little blessing, not enough to be of significant help to anyone.

Jesus tithed and payed the temple tax even though, as he explained to Peter, he nor the disciples ought to have to pay that tax, like the priests and Levites were exempt, but that none of them are offended, they payed the tribute. Mt 17:24

Jesus also went beyond the law to endorse payment of taxes demanded by governments, a principle many dislike. Paul reinforced that principal. If that's God's will, then how could it be the Lord is not superintending over the tithe and what the saints that minister ask for?

I see we're ignoring the news in Hebrews 7 about Jesus still expecting tithes to be paid, more deserving than the earthly priests and Levites who died, receiving their living by commandment. The Levites supported the priests. Meanwhile, we Christians are patterned after the Levites, with Jesus being High Priest forever. The priests of old were the men that tended to the Temple. If you are a minister of the sanctuary, then you deserve whatever support the Lord says for the rest of us to yield up. The Lord knows who is doing that, blessing those that hear him and do it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist