Are people who are dating single?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
So just wondering , is it only married / betrothed folk who are nit single ? Or do people believe once you start dating you are no longer single
what about long distance relationships , which are online only , are they single ?
I think once you commit to girl or boy you are off limits , definitely not single

just wondering !

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
No matter what we decide in this thread... I'm single any way you look at it. =^.^=

I think the question comes down to, "If you meet me at a bar and ask me out, and I'm dating somebody else and turn you down, can I be considered to be no longer single?" Or to rephrase, "Are you still single if you are not open to dating any new people you might meet because you're already dating somebody right now?"

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
single means you arent holding hands with anyone to cross the road.

and if you die in a car crash, you may just die alone. Otherwise, a being couple means you want to die together and be buried right next to each other sharing the same tombstone. Or something crazy like that.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think that "monogamous" might be a better word to define what you're describing than "single".

Monogamous basically means having one mate, spouse, or sexual partner at one time:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/monogamous
or monopoly

you want to monopolise someone elses time so much that they now have no other friends except you. Expect to ditch all others and change your name, location and status on facebook. Thats if you really care what others think about you.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
well you are as handsome as me, it is hard to remain single for ever LOL

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
The word 'single' is a 'marital status' term that literally means 'never married' or 'uncoupled'.

Therefore:

1) Until a person is married, they are single.

2) After a person marries, they are never 'single' again. They may be separated, divorced, or widowed - but, never again 'single'.

Some people like to use the word 'single' to mean 'unmarried' - allowing for them to think of someone who is unmarried as being 'single'. this is technically correct, and causes confusion - but, people insist upon using the term that way anyway.

Again - 'single' is a 'marital status' term. It is a different usage than 'available', 'dating', etc.

In the context of 'marital status', once you are 'coupled' you cannot be considered as 'uncoupled'.

TheNarrowPath

Jul 17, 2022
The word 'single' is a 'marital status' term that literally means 'never married' or 'uncoupled'.

Therefore:

2) After a person marries, they are never 'single' again. They may be separated, divorced, or widowed - but, never again 'single'.

Some people like to use the word 'single' to mean 'unmarried' - allowing for them to think of someone who is unmarried as being 'single'. this is technically correct, and causes confusion - but, people insist upon using the term that way anyway.

Again - 'single' is a 'marital status' term. It is a different usage than 'available', 'dating', etc.

In the context of 'marital status', once you are 'coupled' you cannot be considered as 'uncoupled'.
Quite interesting. So then Im not single lol I ticked the wrong box once. Instead Im separated and dating. I think some people who have been married before would rather say single because when you say youre separated or divorced it means a failed marriage, and who wants to be seen as that?

Willow

Oct 10, 2021
ohio
So just wondering , is it only married / betrothed folk who are nit single ? Or do people believe once you start dating you are no longer single
what about long distance relationships , which are online only , are they single ?
I think once you commit to girl or boy you are off limits , definitely not single

just wondering !
I personally do not date a bunch of people at once. I put alot of effort into a potential long term relationship . But have quickly found out in the past it was not their intent even after telling me. To be faithful to just me.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain

Therefore:

Cool definition , so that means someone who is living with another but not yet married can goto a bar and when asked if they married reply , no I am single .

I think we need another label lol

Perhaps “I’m taken”

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
I personally do not date a bunch of people at once. I put alot of effort into a potential long term relationship . But have quickly found out in the past it was not their intent even after telling me. To be faithful to just me.
Yes I same , once it moves beyond just friends chatting and feelings involved , for me I focus . Partly due to my autism , but it a choice

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
this is technically correct, and causes confusion
:eek:
:oops:

This is technically incorrect, and causes confusion

(And - no doubt - making this particular typographical error adds to the confusion... hahaha)

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Quite interesting. So then Im not single lol I ticked the wrong box once. Instead Im separated and dating. I think some people who have been married before would rather say single because when you say youre separated or divorced it means a failed marriage, and who wants to be seen as that?
Nobody, I suppose - but, that is beside the point. Reality is honest.

If you asked someone about their marital status, would you want them to hide 'separated' or 'divorced' behind the word 'single'?

People need to own up to the truth about their marital status - to not do so is deception.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
That's right! One-at-a-time, keeping focus on that relationship.

Willow

Oct 10, 2021
ohio
:eek:
:oops:

This is technically incorrect, and causes confusion

(And - no doubt - making this particular typographical error adds to the confusion... hahaha)

TheNarrowPath

Jul 17, 2022

If you asked someone about their marital status, would you want them to hide 'separated' or 'divorced' behind the word 'single'?

People need to own up to the truth about their marital status - to not do so is deception.
Most people lump in the separated or divorced under the single label anway. On a message board yes, In a private setting one on one no then you say what you want to say because you might have a vested interest in that person

TheNarrowPath

Jul 17, 2022

I dont ask guys are they married, its more of are you single? I dont mind if they dont tell me whether they are separated or divorced til later because even they are screening. Most answers of single even when are say separated are because they see no reconciliation.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Most people lump in the separated or divorced under the single label anway. On a message board yes, In a private setting one on one no then you say what you want to say because you might have a vested interest in that person
So - lie and deceive until you meet them face-to-face?

That does not seem right.

(I realize that many-or-most message boards today probably use 'single' as a classification in the user information - preventing you from "telling the truth" about your marital status - unless, of course, you are actually single.)

TheNarrowPath

Jul 17, 2022
So - lie and deceive until you meet them face-to-face?

That does not seem right.

(I realize that many-or-most message boards today probably use 'single' as a classification in the user information - preventing you from "telling the truth" about your marital status - unless, of course, you are actually single.)
dont put words in my mouth.
saying you are single when you are separated or divorced is stil correct. especially when you first meet someone you dont need to tell them everything in detail, not until you get to know them a bit better and have trust.
and like i was trying to say earlier, only you know when you are separated if you are heading for a divorce, so your status can still be single as you no longer see yourself with that person.