Are Sex Offenders a liability to Churches?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
It is your belief that God can not change ANYONE, but only some people? Sex offender recidivism (going back to prison for a the same crime) rate is lower than any other crime besides murder. Where do you get your information that they rarely stop re-offending?
Certainly streaking at 2 am on a college campus is a very minor offense in terms of the larger picture. As to the point of serious sex offenders not being re-sent to prison, it was my understanding that they rarely last long in prison, since even those incarcerated have a code of conduct that makes little to no allowance for the abuse of the young and defenseless.
 
Not saying anything about the OP, please take no offense, just following up on my last statement from previous post... We had a guy here quite a few years ago, Clifford Olson, who tortured, raped, and murdered a number of children. He divulged the location of some of the bodies after being promised money for his wife and children, and when he was jailed, he was kept in protective custody because it was a sure thing he would have been murdered in prison.

Olson was sent more than halfway across the country after his murder trial and incarcerated in Kingston Penitentiary in February, 1982. He spent 23 hours a day in his cell in a special “administrative segregation unit” in E-block, housing inmates who need protection from fellow prisoners. More on him here:


The life and death of Clifford Olson - The Globe and Mail
 
Certainly streaking at 2 am on a college campus is a very minor offense in terms of the larger picture. As to the point of serious sex offenders not being re-sent to prison, it was my understanding that they rarely last long in prison, since even those incarcerated have a code of conduct that makes little to no allowance for the abuse of the young and defenseless.

That is what the media portrays but it isn't normally the case. Last I checked from the Department of Justice Statistics, about 90% of all sex offenders get released back into society and recidivism rates only include those released.

FYI: I NEVER want to portray that I am PRO-sex-offender. I am Christian and believe Christ can change ANYONE. To think different, in my opinion, is saying that the blood of Christ isn't strong enough to cover ALL sins.
 
Not in a single one of my posts, have I said to ban them from church. I said they should be chastised by the church. A good stern chastisement is vastly different from banning them from church.

A Registered Sex Offender (the only ones you would have information on) are people who have already been dealt with our court systems... and yet, you are saying they should be further punished by the church? ("chastise" means "punish")
 
I do not see it as being equivalent at all. Sex offenders do not have a book they consider sacred telling them to slay any who disagree with them (reject their religion, refuse to submit) or offend them in any number of ways such as telling the truth about the founder of their religion... the obvious comparison being, Muslims do.

Not all Muslims believe this way, as a matter of fact many state that is a misuse of their true religion.

Only the radicals follow that !!!

We have had a number of Muslims living here since well before even 911 without any problems.

We should not hold tons of people accountable for what only a small percentage is doing.
 
That is what the media portrays but it isn't normally the case. Last I checked from the Department of Justice Statistics, about 90% of all sex offenders get released back into society and recidivism rates only include those released.

FYI: I NEVER want to portray that I am PRO-sex-offender. I am Christian and believe Christ can change ANYONE. To think different, in my opinion, is saying that the blood of Christ isn't strong enough to cover ALL sins.
If you are Christ, sex offender is not your identity.
 
Work called so it has taken some time to get back to this post.
In response to your questions, I don't have any "known" victims. I can't say ages or gender. I assume since it was about 2:00am on a college campus, everyone should have been of adult age. I was at a college campus back in the state that I lived in and I was drunk graduation night and went streaking the campus. Myself and 4 other men were convicted.

Good grief. About a quarter of the guys my age that I know (including myself) did that. It was a faze and a fad that hit just about everywhere in the 60's. They even wrote songs about it.
 
Certainly streaking at 2 am on a college campus is a very minor offense in terms of the larger picture. As to the point of serious sex offenders not being re-sent to prison, it was my understanding that they rarely last long in prison, since even those incarcerated have a code of conduct that makes little to no allowance for the abuse of the young and defenseless.

That is what happened in the past as many prison systems now separate them from the rest of the prison population, or they put heafty punishments on any harm done to them.

Such as add a hate crime charge to anybody who harms a sex offender, and that sentence carries 10 to 15 years more to the person.
 
That is what the media portrays but it isn't normally the case. Last I checked from the Department of Justice Statistics, about 90% of all sex offenders get released back into society and recidivism rates only include those released.

FYI: I NEVER want to portray that I am PRO-sex-offender. I am Christian and believe Christ can change ANYONE. To think different, in my opinion, is saying that the blood of Christ isn't strong enough to cover ALL sins.

BTW, "streaking" is not a crime that requires any kind of "repenting" of, other than just maturing a little. I thought, the way you were talking about shame and guilt, that you were actually a Sex Offender.
 
You seem to take a pretty consistent and unyielding stance that these people should be locked out. You've implied that they should not be welcomed in church and that a church that does welcome them is not a real church. I'm just wondering if there is a point at which you would ever drop this wall and take one in.

clearly You did not read my post..and seem to be willing to even lie to make some point ...I said what I said in context of the discussion ...If you want to take issue with what I said...ill be glad to address that..but I don't play the game where you lie about what I said and then I try to defend myself from your lie.
 
BTW, "streaking" is not a crime that requires any kind of "repenting" of, other than just maturing a little. I thought, the way you were talking about shame and guilt, that you were actually a Sex Offender.
How insane are some of the post on this forum? Don't worry folks ..in willies expert opinion..if you like to run around naked? That's not a issue at all...in fact you should be in charge of the children's care
 
Work called so it has taken some time to get back to this post.
In response to your questions, I don't have any "known" victims. I can't say ages or gender. I assume since it was about 2:00am on a college campus, everyone should have been of adult age. I was at a college campus back in the state that I lived in and I was drunk graduation night and went streaking the campus. Myself and 4 other men were convicted.

Thank you for the reply.

If I'm honest I find this hard to understand. If as you say, a drunken streak occurred
while a young man and nothing more, then in the UK it is possible it might not even
get to court. If any action was taken at all it would more than likely be a caution or
maybe it would be considered a public offence disorder with a fine.

I honestly doubt that many would feel such guilt and remorse especially for such a long
time, if this is all it was.

So I am not sure what to think, either you are beating yourself up about nothing and
need to move on. Or is there more than meets the eye?

It would be interesting by the way to know how you got into the prison ministry.
I know a few people in the Uk (some ex cons) who are involved in similar work.

One helps young offenders to get rehomed upon leaving prison. He makes sure they
behave themselves and gives them advice etc and visits them on the outside.

He is built like a barnyard door so they dare not mess with him. He also makes
a good usher in the church!
 
What's the bigger threat? A known registered sex offender in church worshipping where he is monitored by others or not knowing what is around you at all on a daily basis? My guess is everyone one of us at one point has ran across a sex offender just by going to Walmart buying groceries with our kids not knowing who they are.
I have a better chance of being raped at Walmart than in church. Just saying.
 
I have known a large church to tell ex-sex-offenders they aren't allowed in their church because it's a liability issue. How is this ANYTHING like how Christ would have handled it?
Hello LesserThanAll

GOD Is love and love covers a multitude of sins, but the flesh Is weak so then If we have been reborn we need to renew our minds so that we can prove that good and acceptable and perfect will of GOD.

If the person Is a new creation then they have been justified by GOD because GOD looks at the heart but man looks at the outer appearances and cannot see your heart but they can make a right judgement(inspect the fruit)and If the person knows this then they should understand that people don't want their child In a vulnerable situation like that and to be honest,the pastor should just tell him/her the truth and tell the church,Its always liberating to start from the truth(after talking and explaining to him/her of course,asking them If Its ok) and If Its not ok then that person will, or someone will just have to pray that GOD gives revelation knowledge to someone there that can help.
 
It is your belief that God can not change ANYONE, but only some people? Sex offender recidivism (going back to prison for a the same crime) rate is lower than any other crime besides murder. Where do you get your information that they rarely stop re-offending?

NO, that is not my belief. Of course God can change anyone, but only IF THEY WANT TO CHANGE. Many don't want to..
 
A Registered Sex Offender (the only ones you would have information on) are people who have already been dealt with our court systems... and yet, you are saying they should be further punished by the church? ("chastise" means "punish")


The meaning of chastisement that I am speaking of, means that the church should give them a stern lecture about their pedophilic behavior and how it affects their standing in the church. Presuming of course, that they DO go to church.
 
You actually said they should basically be shot and killed, in your opinion. So if we do that... You're killing the ones that want change, and killing the ones that are offenders all because they had too much to drink and needed a place to release it.

Opinions are like noses. Everybody has one.. :) Oh and btw, pedophiles and rapists do NOT get drunk, then decide to go and find a kid to fiddle with to release their drunken pressures. The ones who DO drink then go raise hell are the ones who had trouble on their mind even BEFORE getting drunk. I've seen drunks take a p@ss against a building wall, then turn around and say stuff like, "hey baby you like what you see? I've got your ******* right here." That's lewd and lascivious conduct and clearly shows that person's intent.
 
Are Sex Offenders a liability to Churches? I'd say that Catholic priests are definitely a liability to the church and a hazard to altar boys.

Seriously, though, sex offenders should be welcomed in the church, but never allowed to be alone with children. Better yet, they probably shouldn't even be allowed to work around children.
 
What's the bigger threat? A known registered sex offender in church worshipping where he is monitored by others or not knowing what is around you at all on a daily basis? My guess is everyone one of us at one point has ran across a sex offender just by going to Walmart buying groceries with our kids not knowing who they are.
I have a better chance of being raped at Walmart than in church. Just saying.

Where do you folks go to church?