Are Sex Offenders a liability to Churches?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
If we had to register all of our sins and get every terrible thing we ever did out in the open where anyone could refer to it for the remainder of your entire life, I wonder how many folks would be just as eager to segregate *repenting* sex offenders from our church communities?


These whole offender registry laws have bothered me from day one, way back in the 90s. I can't understand how a person who pays their debt to society has to go on paying after serving their time. The more heinous an offense, the more time should be given, up to life. But whatever time is decided, it is wrong to make someone continue to pay after release.
 
Hi Kenneth / Willie

I am genuinely confused, partly as to why such a minimal offence would result in
registry on a sex offenders list apparently for life? But also in part because of the
OPs own comments.

I had a look at his introductory thread and this implies something
far worse as does this thread . Willie I think you yourself were a bit surprised when
you realised what the offence was that Lesser was referring to.

I can only be led by Lesser's original comments which implied a worse offence.

Either there is some deceit here and some back tracking, or Lesser has bigger
problems than being registered as a sex offender for a minor offence.
I hope it is the latter and if so, that he can get help for the apparent very low self
esteem he may have which has led to such a small thing monopolising his entire
life to the degree that he believes it is far bigger than it actually is.

I have struggled with this one admittedly, wanting to believe the best but
fearing the worst, especially in view of the young people who come to
this site and also vulnerable people.

I still hold my opinion in reserve on this matter.

As is certainly your right. My only beef was that it shows much more respect for the both of you to simply come right out and say things. I'm pleased to see that happening.

And, "Yes", I was surprised that "streaking" was all there was to it. But, not because of the sentence, but for his reaction to whatever he has gone through that would leave him feeling such shame or guilt. More, the guilt, than the shame. (which I more easily comprehend)

The sentence doesn't surprise me in the least. The rabid fanaticism the U.S.A. has adopted in flaming oppression and humiliation of anyone associated with anything "sexually inappropriate", is seconded only by the recent irrational embracing of anything to do with the supposedly impending "End Times." LOL
 
These whole offender registry laws have bothered me from day one, way back in the 90s. I can't understand how a person who pays their debt to society has to go on paying after serving their time. The more heinous an offense, the more time should be given, up to life. But whatever time is decided, it is wrong to make someone continue to pay after release.
I think part of the problem is we know that some who are incarcerated are not reformed or rehabilitated by doing time. The general public usually has little idea of who those few are, even if their hearings and release are publicized. Jeff, you know I am not speaking about you! As an aside here, I heard on the news last night that a young sex offender was found dead near here after escaping whatever custody he was in. I do not know if someone took it upon themselves to help him meet his maker, or what. I doubt a streaker would ever be treated like that. But would I recognize Paul Bernardo if I met him face to face?

Foul play suspected after high-risk sex offender found dead in creek | CTV Vancouver News
 
As is certainly your right. My only beef was that it shows much more respect for the both of you to simply come right out and say things. I'm pleased to see that happening.

And, "Yes", I was surprised that "streaking" was all there was to it. But, not because of the sentence, but for his reaction to whatever he has gone through that would leave him feeling such shame or guilt. More, the guilt, than the shame. (which I more easily comprehend)

The sentence doesn't surprise me in the least. The rabid fanaticism the U.S.A. has adopted in flaming oppression and humiliation of anyone associated with anything "sexually inappropriate", is seconded only by the recent irrational embracing of anything to do with the supposedly impending "End Times." LOL

I was right with you on this tell you said, "supposedly impending End Times."......LOL

Things are lining up perfectly with the end times events to usher in the Tribulation.

Birth pains are getting stronger, just as Jesus said they would !!!
 
I was right with you on this tell you said, "supposedly impending End Times."......LOL

Things are lining up perfectly with the end times events to usher in the Tribulation.

Birth pains are getting stronger, just as Jesus said they would !!!

As they have been since Peter declared they/we were in the End Time, almost 2,000 years ago. We are never going to be in agreement with this, so just know I see it as a sad joke to keep waking up every morning fearing a meteor strike.
 
I think part of the problem is we know that some who are incarcerated are not reformed or rehabilitated by doing time. The general public usually has little idea of who those few are, even if their hearings and release are publicized. Jeff, you know I am not speaking about you! As an aside here, I heard on the news last night that a young sex offender was found dead near here after escaping whatever custody he was in. I do not know if someone took it upon themselves to help him meet his maker, or what. I doubt a streaker would ever be treated like that. But would I recognize Paul Bernardo if I met him face to face?

Foul play suspected after high-risk sex offender found dead in creek | CTV Vancouver News


Oh I absolutely agree it's a huge problem, and I would be for tougher ORIGINAL sentences. But isn't recidivism the same with all crimes? From the murderer to the thief a large percentage go back to crime. I think the argument could be made the Chronic speeder poses a greater threat to society. If a guy rapes a kid I'm for castration and life, but I know 18 yr olds that grabbed a girls behind and are now labeled a sex offender. And NO I'm not condoning grabbing behinds. Choose a penalty that fits the crime and after they served they are done.
 
It reminds me of the billboards people have draped over their shoulders for the last couple of hundred years

The end of the world is nigh
 
I think part of the problem is we know that some who are incarcerated are not reformed or rehabilitated by doing time. The general public usually has little idea of who those few are, even if their hearings and release are publicized. Jeff, you know I am not speaking about you! As an aside here, I heard on the news last night that a young sex offender was found dead near here after escaping whatever custody he was in. I do not know if someone took it upon themselves to help him meet his maker, or what. I doubt a streaker would ever be treated like that. But would I recognize Paul Bernardo if I met him face to face?

Foul play suspected after high-risk sex offender found dead in creek | CTV Vancouver News

Do you know why some are not rehabilitated or reformed ???

It is because of politics and financial funding being stopped in a number of places so that the programs needed are taken away or can not be administered properly to all inmates.

Then we they get released back in public they are shunned and doors shut in their face.

We are suppose to help people, not make it harder on them.

Making things harder is the way of the Pharisees !!!
 
I think part of the problem is we know that some who are incarcerated are not reformed or rehabilitated by doing time. The general public usually has little idea of who those few are, even if their hearings and release are publicized. Jeff, you know I am not speaking about you! As an aside here, I heard on the news last night that a young sex offender was found dead near here after escaping whatever custody he was in. I do not know if someone took it upon themselves to help him meet his maker, or what. I doubt a streaker would ever be treated like that. But would I recognize Paul Bernardo if I met him face to face?

Foul play suspected after high-risk sex offender found dead in creek | CTV Vancouver News

A slight correction here, if I may? In truth, almost NO ONE is "reformed or rehabilitated by doing time" for ANY crime.
 
As they have been since Peter declared we were in the End Time, almost 2,000 years ago. We are never going to be in agreement with this, so just know I see it as a sad joke to keep waking up every morning fearing a meteor strike.


Oh I thought we were heading for a complete reversal of the magnetic field and the earth
was going to spin 180*.

Humm or is that going to be a world wide earthquake, but there again it might be
the quickening up or the slowing down of the earths core.

Hang on a moo it might even be giant solar flares roasting us all like a kebab.

Or wait martian invasion for sure.

Sorry been watching too much syfy :D
 
As they have been since Peter declared they/we were in the End Time, almost 2,000 years ago. We are never going to be in agreement with this, so just know I see it as a sad joke to keep waking up every morning fearing a meteor strike.

I never said we had to wake up each morning in fear.

Jesus did say we need to be prepared though !!!

The only ones that need to fear is those who have not put their faith and trust in the Lord yet.
 
Oh I absolutely agree it's a huge problem, and I would be for tougher ORIGINAL sentences. But isn't recidivism the same with all crimes? From the murderer to the thief a large percentage go back to crime. I think the argument could be made the Chronic speeder poses a greater threat to society. If a guy rapes a kid I'm for castration and life, but I know 18 yr olds that grabbed a girls behind and are now labeled a sex offender. And NO I'm not condoning grabbing behinds. Choose a penalty that fits the crime and after they served they are done.
We need protection from the people who are supposed to be protecting us ;) What a fallen world we live in. Sex crime statistics are through the roof. Do you know anyone who was not molested in some way?


  • Of every 100 incidents of sexual assault, only 6 are reported to the police
  • 1 - 2% of "date rape" sexual assaults are reported to the police
  • 1 in 4 North American women will be sexually assaulted during their lifetime
  • 11% of women have physical injury resulting for sexual assault
  • Only 2 - 4% of all sexual assaults reported are false reports
  • 60% of sexual abuse/assault victims are under the age of 17
  • over 80% of sex crime victims are women
  • 80% of sexual assault incidents occur in the home
  • 17% of girls under 16 have experienced some form of incest
  • 83% of disabled women will be sexual assaulted during their lifetime
  • 15% of sexual assault victims are boys under 16
  • half of all sexual offenders are married or in long term relationships
  • 57% of aboriginal women have been sexually abused
  • 1/5th of all sexual assaults involve a weapon of some sort
  • 80% of assailants are friends and family of the victim

The above noted statistics have been taken from various studies across Canada. While the numbers can never been 100% accurate, a few key generalizations can made:

  1. sexual assault is far more common than most would suspect
  2. relatively few incidents of sexual assault are reported to the police
  3. young and otherwise vulnerable women are most likely to be sexually abused
  4. most sexual assaults are committed by someone close to the victim, not a stranger
  5. Sexual Assault and Rape Statistics, Canada <~~~link
 
I never said we had to wake up each morning in fear.

Jesus did say we need to be prepared though !!!

The only ones that need to fear is those who have not put their faith and trust in the Lord yet.

I would take it further... as Jesus did with the Parable of the Sheep and Goats. I would say those of us who have a lot to fear are the ones who have not made it a goal to adopt the love of Jesus for ALL mankind (saved and unsaved) in their hearts.

But, sadly, many people see it as keeping some rules at the moment the meteor hits.
 
It reminds me of the billboards people have draped over their shoulders for the last couple of hundred years

The end of the world is nigh

Yeah well they always get laughed at, and deservedly so if they date set.

But just stating the end is near is not date setting.

Apostle John said the same that the end is here, nobody is calling him a liar even though we are well past when he said it.

Jesus gave us clear things to look at to know for sure. Things have been getting worse and worse just like He said they would.

Sorry for the derail but we should never down play prophecy !!!
 
Yeah well they always get laughed at, and deservedly so if they date set.

But just stating the end is near is not date setting.

Apostle John said the same that the end is here, nobody is calling him a liar even though we are well past when he said it.

Jesus gave us clear things to look at to know for sure. Things have been getting worse and worse just like He said they would.

Sorry for the derail but we should never down play prophecy !!!

In truth "the end" could come for some of us before dawn tomorrow. That is a lot more worthy to spend time worrying about, if worry is your thing.
 
The end is near for every single one of us, for we all die, and it
comes much sooner than expected or desired for many.
 
I would take it further... as Jesus did with the Parable of the Sheep and Goats. I would say those of us who have a lot to fear are the ones who have not made it a goal to adopt the love of Jesus for ALL mankind (saved and unsaved) in their hearts.

But, sadly, many people see it as keeping some rules at the moment the meteor hits.

Well scripture does say by faith love upholds and establishes the law, not void it !!!

We are not bound to written ordinances but we are held to a moral standard !!!
 
Just a quick thought, if God spoke the universe into creation, why can't
he end it with a word. Why would he need to use a big rock?

In fact wouldn't the big rock be part of the created universe and also be destroyed.

Come on admit it, that's deep :p
 
In truth "the end" could come for some of us before dawn tomorrow. That is a lot more worthy to spend time worrying about, if worry is your thing.

No not worrying (as that is sin), but just waking people up to be prepared.

Just as Jesus, Paul, and John said and did.
 
Just a quick thought, if God spoke the universe into creation, why can't
he end it with a word. Why would he need to use a big rock?

In fact wouldn't the big rock be part of the created universe and also be destroyed.

Come on admit it, that's deep :p

Yes, that is deep. And it is also very good sense.