Are there still apostles today?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Not even the scriptures that say just that.
There are no scriptures that say that in order to be an apostle a person must have seen Jesus. That requirement was just for Judas’ replacement.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
Not even the scriptures that say just that.
Acts 1
Matthias Replaces Judas
…21Therefore it is necessary to select one of the men who have accompanied us the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22beginning from John’s baptism until the day Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection.” 23So they proposed two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Just us) and Matthias.

1 Corinthians 9:1
Paul’s Rights as an Apostle
9 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord?Are you not the result of my work in the Lord?

P

pjharrison

Isn't that as Christ foretold?

Matthew 24
22 “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. 23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.25 See, I have told you ahead of time.
26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it.
But there are real prophets and real people who cast out demons, that's why you have to test the Spirits, if they are from God are the antichrist.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
There are no scriptures that say that in order to be an apostle a person must have seen Jesus. That requirement was just for Judas’ replacement.
Why would it have only been for Judas' replacement?

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
THE QUALIFICATIONS OF AN APOSTLE
When one assembles all the relevant New Testament data, at least three qualifications emerge as prerequisite to one becoming an apostle in the official sense (Hayden, 1894, p. 33, expands these credentials to seven in number). First, an apostle had to have seen the Lord and been an eyewitness of Christ’s resurrection (Acts 1:22; 22:14; 1 Corinthians 9:1). Second, an apostle had to be specifically selected by the Lord or the Holy Spirit (Matthew 10:5; Mark 3:13-14; Luke 6:13; Acts 1:26; 9:15; 22:14-15,21; 26:16). Third, an apostle was invested with miraculous power to the extent that he could perform miracles. The power to perform miracles included the capability to confer the ability to work miracles to other individuals through the laying on of his hands (Mark 3:15; 16:17-20; Luke 9:1-2; John 14:12,26; 15:24-27; 16:13; Acts 2:43; 4:29-31,33; 5:12,15-16; 6:6; 8:14-18; 19:6; 2 Timothy 1:6; Romans 1:11; Hebrews 2:3-4). Jesus referred to His bestowal of miraculous capability upon the apostles when He promised they would be “endued with power from on high” (Luke 24:49).

Oct 31, 2015
Yes, but you'd have to prove the one's that wrote that article are in order for your remark to pertain to the article itself that I posted. Rather that throwing out a dismissive with no relevance.
Both Matthew and Luke show this very elementary truth which you deny.

Everyone who is reading this can see this truth.

And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease. 2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; 3 Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Cananite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed Him.

5 These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans.6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick,cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. 9 Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, 10 nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food.
Matthew 10:1-10

again

Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. 2 He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3 And He said to them, “Take nothing for the journey, neither staffs nor bag nor bread nor money; and do not have two tunics apiece.

4 “Whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart. 5 And whoever will not receive you, when you go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet as a testimony against them.”

6 So they departed and went through the towns, preaching the gospel and healing everywhere.

7 Now Herod the tetrarch heard of all that was done by Him; and he was perplexed, because it was said by some that John had risen from the dead, 8 and by some that Elijah had appeared, and by others that one of the old prophets had risen again. 9 Herod said, “John I have beheaded, but who is this of whom I hear such things?” So he sought to see Him.

10 And the apostles, when they had returned, told Him all that they had done. Then He took them and went aside privately into a deserted place belonging to the city called Bethsaida. Luke 9:1-10

JPT

S

selfdissolving

Apostle Tayvon Budkiss from down the street says i can only eat ketchup on Mondays and i have to pray in the shed from now on.
I guess since he's an Apostle i better listen to him.
He really knows a lot about the bible and lots of people go to his Church and he says he has a special anointing from God.

john832

May 31, 2013
Yes there are still apostles but the self proclaiming ones hehehehe

To be a real apostle

you should have met Jesus in person and even dined with him once.
Not sure about the dining thing but Paul did say this...

1Co 9:1 Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord?

Seems part of the credentials for an apostle is to have seen Christ. Not sure this is absolute, but proclaiming oneself an apostle doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Mar 28, 2016

We all who have the Spirit of Christ dwelling in these earthen bodies can see Jesus walking by faith (the unseen) as he reveals himself to us enlightening our new hearts. We walk by faith the unseen.

We are given a warning in Deuteronomy 4 in respect to a word (singular) .A different warning than that in Revelation to not add or subtract from the whole (all things written in the law and the prophets).

God's way of preserving the integrity of His word from those who would steal his authorship (the devil) Change the original meaning as the original intent of one word create another gospel, after another Christ a mediator

Men (Catholic) have simply violated the warning.

Note... (purple in parenthesis's) my added comment

Ye shall not add unto the word (singular) which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it (singular) , that ye may keep the commandments (plural) of the Lord your God which I command you.Deuteronomy 4

The word Apostle with no other new meaning added simply means "sent one" It can be used as an example of my wife sending me (a real adventure lol) to the grocery store with a list that I cannot add or subtract from . In that way God sends His prophets as those who declare His written law the gospel of our salvation out into the world to declare his prophecy the word of God .

False prophets as false apostles bring their own grocery list as false prophecy.

All born again Christians are considered apostles (sent ones) sent with his grocery list as a kingdom of preset sent from a foreign land (the new heavenly Jerusalem) from where we have a citizen ship and birth records old testament as well as new.

Feb 7, 2017
Apostles are those who go from city to city laying the foundations of faith. This exists until now.

P

pjharrison

Apostle Tayvon Budkiss from down the street says i can only eat ketchup on Mondays and i have to pray in the shed from now on.
He really knows a lot about the bible and lots of people go to his Church and he says he has a special anointing from God.
(n)

Jan 6, 2018
1cor:3:1-4 NIV 1Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. 3 You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans? 4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere human beings?
They were branching off and starting there own churches. Sam Soleyn does not have a church, or congregation.
They had been meeting in separate homes of the wealthy. House churches are how Christianity started. Having meetings was not the issue for Paul but that they were rejecting Paul's authority as the Apostle who started the church and his message the Gospel. The Gospel was in danger of extinction for "meat" deeper teachings and spiritual elitists abusing charisma (gifts of the Spirit). They were dominionists with overrealized eschatology. The modern day apostles movement are spiritual elitists, and Charismatics, claiming to teach deeper truths the church has never known. Their focus is not on the authority of the original Apostles and the Gospel but on their authority with their "new revelations". With them they claim God is doing something new, never been done before, never known before etc. in order to push a overrealized eschatology postmillennial dominionist agenda.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Things are so bad in the "church" today that God will not send even pastors to many of the 'churches". Apostles? We no longer live in the apostolic age but the church age so no there are no apostles. If there were they would be driven out of virtually every church in the land. Believers in the church today will not tolerate the precise razor edged teaching that the apostles brought to the foundation of the church.

The church today wants its ears tickled. It wants fun and entertainment not suffering for the glory of God. Feel good is the quality that successful churches today must have. Preaching on condemnation and the need to live for Gods glory will not be tolerated.

Stop with all the deception already. Preach the word and preach against sin. We are headed to a time like was seen in the days of Noah.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Jan 6, 2018
This problem has been around from the start:

I do not think I am in the least inferior to those “super-apostles.” And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about. For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.
2 Corinthians 11:5‭, ‬12‭-‬15 NIV
https://bible.com/bible/111/2co.11.5-15.NIV

S

selfdissolving

i apologize to everyone in this thread for this foolish and poorly tasteful comment.
it was pretty dumb. i don't think i can delete it??
i was trying to make a point, but i should not have posted this.

Mar 28, 2016
Things are so bad in the "church" today that God will not send even pastors to many of the 'churches". Apostles? We no longer live in the apostolic age but the church age so no there are no apostles. If there were they would be driven out of virtually every church in the land. Believers in the church today will not tolerate the precise razor edged teaching that the apostles brought to the foundation of the church.

The church today wants its ears tickled. It wants fun and entertainment not suffering for the glory of God. Feel good is the quality that successful churches today must have. Preaching on condemnation and the need to live for Gods glory will not be tolerated.

Stop with all the deception already. Preach the word and preach against sin. We are headed to a time like was seen in the days of Noah.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Amen Yes men using the imaginations of their own hearts evil all the time as a false source of faith and not the word of God the true exculsive form of faith . Make me wonder? Will he find his faith working in the hearts of men?

Luke 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

The apostolic age began with Abel who God sent with the gospel to his brother Cain who hardened his heart walked after the imaginations of his own deceitful heart He slew his brother Abel as in out of sight out of mind... no faith ,Kill the misperceived completion as if did wrestle against flesh and blood

PS I appreciate your style of writing, its been a blessing .

yellowcanary

May 22, 2018
Are there apostles today ?? Of course there are. Just gotta belong to the right denomination and you'll find tons and tons of them. Watch out for the fake ones tho. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Yes there are still apostles but the self proclaiming ones hehehehe

To be a real apostle

you should have met Jesus in person and even dined with him once.
We had lunch at Burger King once, does that count?