ARE WE BEING STEWARDS OF THE MYSTERIES OF GOD ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
1¶Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
2Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
1 cor 4

Ok what are the ' Mysteries ' that we should be stewards of ?

It is said that the majority of wrong doctrines in the Church can be cleared up by understanding these mysteries . Often a ignorance of , or over looking these ,causes the problem .
Let's discuss as we find each one .

Heres one .
Colossians 1:27
“To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:”

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Hard to say regarding being good stewards since the stewardship is for something that is a mystery known only to God.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
There are a few different ways people organize the list. I don't *necessarily* agree this is the right list but here's one example with references:

1. The Mystery of Godliness – 1 Timothy 3:16; John 1:1-14; John 14:9
  2. The Mystery of Christ in Us – Colossians 1:26-28; 1 Corinthians 12:12
  3. The Mystery of the Union of Jews and Gentiles in one body called the church – Ephesians 3:1-11
  4. The Mystery of the Kingdom of Heaven – Matthew 13
  5. The Mystery of the “Seven Stars” and the Seven Candles.” – Revelation 1:12-20
  6. The Mystery of the Bride of Christ – Ephesians 5:22-33
  7. The Mystery of Israel’s Blindness – Romans 11:25
  8. The Mystery of the Translation of the Saints – 1 Corinthians 15:51-55
  9. The Mystery of Iniquity – 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
  10. The Mystery of Babylon the Great – Revelation 17:5, 7
  11. The Mystery of the Restoration of All Things – Ephesians 1:9-10

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
1¶Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
1 cor 4

It is said that the majority of wrong doctrines in the Church can be cleared up by understanding these mysteries . Often a ignorance of , or over looking these ,causes the problem .

Heres one .
“To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:”
Thank you for the thread. Interestingly my pastor is constantly harping on the fact that we're supposed to be wise and we're supposed to figure these out. He says we will be held accountable for how many of these we have understood.

The example list of mysteries I just posted may not be the same list he lists, it's just something I pulled from a quick googling - but it's a place to start. We ought to be able to explain at least a few of these, and be searching out and studying them all

L

Live4Him

1 cor 4

Heres one .
As I've suggested to you before, the first thing that we need to understand before discussing any of the "mysteries" in the Bible is how the underlying Greek word "mystērion" was actually intended to be understood.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G3466&t=KJV

mystērion

Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. hidden thing, secret, mystery
    1. generally mysteries, religious secrets, confided only to the initiated and not to ordinary mortals
    2. a hidden or secret thing, not obvious to the understanding
    3. a hidden purpose or counsel
      1. secret will
        1. of men
        2. of God: the secret counsels which govern God in dealing with the righteous, which are hidden from ungodly and wicked men but plain to the godly
As I've told you before, the "mysteries" that we read about in the Bible were NOT "mysteries" in the sense that nobody understood them, but rather "mysteries" in the sense of "mystery religions" or "religious secrets, confided only to the initiated".

If we fail to recognize this truth, then any discussion is inevitably going to go awry somewhere down the line.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
As I've suggested to you before, the first thing that we need to understand before discussing any of the "mysteries" in the Bible is how the underlying Greek word "mystērion" was actually intended to be understood.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G3466&t=KJV

mystērion

Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. hidden thing, secret, mystery
    1. generally mysteries, religious secrets, confided only to the initiated and not to ordinary mortals
    2. a hidden or secret thing, not obvious to the understanding
    3. a hidden purpose or counsel
      1. secret will
        1. of men
        2. of God: the secret counsels which govern God in dealing with the righteous, which are hidden from ungodly and wicked men but plain to the godly
As I've told you before, the "mysteries" that we read about in the Bible were NOT "mysteries" in the sense that nobody understood them, but rather "mysteries" in the sense of "mystery religions" or "religious secrets, confided only to the initiated".

If we fail to recognize this truth, then any discussion is inevitably going to go awry somewhere down the line.
Were looking at the 'Mysteries 'as they come up in scripture ..they have included in the verse ,the word 'Mystery ' along with what they are . They are plainly revealed to us in the NT .

L

Live4Him

Were looking at the 'Mysteries 'as they come up in scripture ..they have included in the verse ,the word 'Mystery ' along with what they are . They are plainly revealed to us in the NT .
...and they were plainly understood by certain others before Jesus or Paul mentioned them in the New Testament.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Hard to say regarding being good stewards since the stewardship is for something that is a mystery known only to God.
Yeah but specifically its talking about being Stewards of these now revealed truth s given in the scriptures..Many Christians are unaware and many denominations fail to teach them ..If they even understand them is a fair question . How many sermons at your church have you heard on these vital ' mysteries ' ? I never heard about them spoken at many churches ,I've attended.

L

Live4Him

You tell me.

Consider the following:

Luke chapter 24

[13] And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
[14] And they talked together of all these things which had happened.
[15] And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
[16] But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.
[17] And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
[18] And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass therein these days?
[19] And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
[20] And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
[21] But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
[22] Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre;
[23] And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
[24] And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.
[25] Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
[26] Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
[27] And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Why would Jesus rebuke two men while telling them that they were "fools and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken" in relation to his sufferings and glorification if they hadn't already foretold of the same?

Beyond just the prophets themselves, Jesus expounded unto these two men what Moses had also written concerning himself and what had been written IN ALL THE SCRIPTURES concerning himself.

As I said, certain individuals were plainly aware of these "mysteries" before either Jesus or Paul addressed them in the New Testament.

Having read many of your posts here, I believe that you're totally misreading the following bold-faced and underlined portion of scripture and therefore drawing some errant conclusions from the same:

Ephesians chapter 3

[1] For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
[2] If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward:
[3] How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
[4] Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
[5] Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
[6] That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
[7] Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

In other words, whereas Paul said that these "mysteries" in other ages were not made known unto the sons of men AS it is now revealed, you seem to be reading it as if it says that these "mysteries" in other ages were not made known unto the sons of men BUT it is now revealed.

There's a world of difference between the two.

Paul and others were giving a fuller revelation in scale of things which were previously known by others.

They were not giving a NEW revelation of things which were previously unknown by anyone.

4ChristAlone

Mysteries of the Kingdom are shown here also

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him,
Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them,
Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven
, but to them it is not given.

The remnant likewise...

1Cr 4:4 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ,
and stewards of the mysteries of God.

1Cr 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom,
which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

Which are the same, in respects to the answer, "why dost thou speakest unto them in parables" and of those things secret

Mat 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Romans 16:26 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

Ephes 6:19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory ofthis mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

To the one, ..." it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven"

...but to them it is not given.

2Cr 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
You tell me.

Consider the following:

Luke chapter 24

[13] And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
[15] And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
[17] And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
[18] And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass therein these days?
[19] And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
[20] And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
[21] But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
[22] Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre;
[23] And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
[24] And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.
[25] Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
[26] Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
[27] And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Why would Jesus rebuke two men while telling them that they were "fools and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken" in relation to his sufferings and glorification if they hadn't already foretold of the same?

Beyond just the prophets themselves, Jesus expounded unto these two men what Moses had also written concerning himself and what had been written IN ALL THE SCRIPTURES concerning himself.

As I said, certain individuals were plainly aware of these "mysteries" before either Jesus or Paul addressed them in the New Testament.

Having read many of your posts here, I believe that you're totally misreading the following bold-faced and underlined portion of scripture and therefore drawing some errant conclusions from the same:

Ephesians chapter 3

[2] If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward:
[3] How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
[4] Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
[5] Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
[6] That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
[7] Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

In other words, whereas Paul said that these "mysteries" in other ages were not made known unto the sons of men AS it is now revealed", you seem to be reading it as if it says that these "mysteries" in other ages were not made known unto the sons of men BUT it is now revealed.

Paul and others were giving a fuller revelation in scale of things which were previously known by others.

They were not giving a NEW revelation of things which were previously unknown by anyone.
I literally mean when the word 'mystery / mysteries is in the verse . Today we have a full Bible with the given explanation. Those actually hearing , the pharisees listening were not given but parables. This is not occurring today . We have the scriptures. Yes Israel blinded in part ect . Yes satan can blind folks . But we are discussing the mysteries that were not revealed until ...well until revealed . Some pharisees did believe. But Jesus was deliberately doing things in order for things to happen as they happened.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
You tell me.

Consider the following:

Luke chapter 24

Ephesians chapter 3

In other words, whereas Paul said that these "mysteries" in other ages were not made known unto the sons of men AS it is now revealed, you seem to be reading it as if it says that these "mysteries" in other ages were not made known unto the sons of men BUT it is now revealed.

Col 1
25Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
26Even the mystery which hath been HID from ages and from generations, but NOW is made manifest to his saints:
27To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

L

Live4Him

I literally mean when the word 'mystery / mysteries is in the verse . Today we have a full Bible with the given explanation. Those actually hearing , the pharisees listening were not given but parables. This is not occurring today . We have the scriptures. Yes Israel blinded in part ect . Yes satan can blind folks . But we are discussing the mysteries that were not revealed until ...well until revealed . Some pharisees did believe. But Jesus was deliberately doing things in order for things to happen as they happened.
Well, wouldn't Jesus' rebuke of the two men on the road to Emmaus in relation to them not believing what had been foretold about his sufferings and glorification align itself with this mystery:

"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory." (I Timothy 3:16)

?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Mysteries of the Kingdom are shown here also

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him,
Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them,
Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven
, but to them it is not given.

The remnant likewise...

1Cr 4:4 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ,
and stewards of the mysteries of God.

1Cr 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom,
which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

Which are the same, in respects to the answer, "why dost thou speakest unto them in parables" and of those things secret

Mat 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Romans 16:26 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

Ephes 6:19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory ofthis mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

To the one, ..." it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven"

...but to them it is not given.

2Cr 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost
Yes those mysteries were revealed in parables . I'm talking about the ones in the epistles ect .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Well, wouldn't Jesus' rebuke of the two men on the road to Emmaus in relation to them not believing what had been foretold about his sufferings and glorification align itself with this mystery:

"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory." (I Timothy 3:16)

?
Yes another one .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

?
This is a good verse to look at ..precisely the point

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

?
I'm not sure it's connected?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

?
Would you agree that 'Christ in you ' is a revelation Paul gives us as a ' mystery ' previously hid before , but now revealed. Christ IN you ?
27To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: