Are We Responsible For All The Sins We Commit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Are We Responsible For All The Sins We Commit?

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2019
If you do not believe we are responsible for all the sins we commit, which sins do you believe we are not responsible for?

M

morefaithrequired

Being forced to say "i love Satan" with a gun to your head.

Oct 24, 2019
Being forced to say "i love Satan" with a gun to your head.
I do not believe it would be a sin to say "i love Satan" if someone has a gun to your head, unless this person really loves Satan.

Apr 12, 2019
I do not believe it would be a sin to say "i love Satan" if someone has a gun to your head, unless this person really loves Satan.
Hmm, i believe it would be a sin, to declare that, would it not? because it is a lie and aren't we to be faithful even unto death? so i would say that it is indeed a sin against God.

DB7

Dec 29, 2014
If you do not believe we are responsible for all the sins we commit, which sins do you believe we are not responsible for?
Well, as facetious as MFR may have been, he actually brought up a very profound and ancient controversy. i.e. Renunciation under persecution. Was this not similar to both the Donatist & Tratatori debate with Cyprian & ...? What do you do with those who blaspheme Christ under duress, are they worthy of forgiveness or not i.e. responsible or not? Don't forget that all the apostles denied Christ at his passion.

Also, I imagine sins of ignorance like Abimelech with both Sara & Rebeccah (not sure if same Abimelech). But God did recognize his unintentional potential adultery, ...upon apology and Abraham's prayer. Even though he was punished for some time (infertility across the land).
Maybe being aroused by surprise (watching something not intentionally erotic, that just had its moments), or a wet dream?
Getting drunk or tipsy by mistake from underestimating your tolerance that day?
Stealing for survival, self defense, a lie to protect yourself or another from imminent danger, doing the wrong thing but for the right reason, incorrect Biblical understanding through indoctrination...?

Thanks!

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
If your ignorant of something you don't know is sinful, maybe not? "Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34). I suppose we are accountable for doing what we know is wrong, but God may not hold us responsible until we have the knowledge of right from wrong. A mistake made in stupidity is probably judged differently than intentionally and willfully breaking a law?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
This sounds like something out of a Millennials playbook. Blame everyone else since I am a poor victim. The Victim Mentality has taken hold of too many people, but you are definitely responsible for all your sins and errors.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My understanding from the New T. is if a person even a brother, is not aware of his sin, he is not guilty of it. God is good always, so this should be self-evident in the hearts of all who are new in Christ, Yeshua.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
We are responsible for our beliefs in regard to the sins we commit..

Do we acknowledge them as sins?
And do we aknowledge our need for the Atonement of Jesus to save us from the penalty of our sins?
Or
Do we rebel in spirit and declare them not to be sins?
Do we seek to justify them?

These are the important questions..

Nov 8, 2019
London, England
Leviticus 4:27-28 King James Version (KJV)

27 And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth somewhat against any of the commandments of the Lord concerning things which ought not to be done, and be guilty;

28 Or if his sin, which he hath sinned, come to his knowledge: then he shall bring his offering, a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for his sin which he hath sinned.

Yes!!!

Even when you Sin ignorantly you are guilty and must make amends for that Sin when aware of trespass. Do you understand why?

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Leviticus 4:27-28 King James Version (KJV)

27 And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth somewhat against any of the commandments of the Lord concerning things which ought not to be done, and be guilty;

28 Or if his sin, which he hath sinned, come to his knowledge: then he shall bring his offering, a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for his sin which he hath sinned.

Yes!!!

Even when you Sin ignorantly you are guilty and must make amends for that Sin when aware of trespass. Do you understand why?
Good scripture..

I would respond to your statement by saying We must rely upon the Atonement of Jesus to make amends for that sin..

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Elihoenai already touched on this...

Leviticus 4 and 5 as well as Numbers 15 speak extensively to the issue of unintentional sin. The clear teaching is that the person is responsible for such sins. To sins committed unintentionally, Ezekiel 45:20 adds, "or through ignorance".

Speaking from personal experience, I have found that God does not necessarily convict of sin at or near the time it is committed. Because He has higher purposes and a better understanding of our individual lives than we do, He may wait years or even decades before bringing such matters to our attention. My understanding is that He does this not because the unrepented sin is not covered by Jesus' blood, but because the ignorance and lack of repentance holds me back from accomplishing His purposes and attaining the character He wants to build in me.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
This whole question just seems like a HUGE strawman being erected with some other motive than to just answer it.

NO true Christian thinks they are not responsible for their sin. The REAL question is, how is this accumulated sin debt paid.

Those of us that trust SOLELY in Jesus Christ, His atoning death, and subsequent resurrection, KNOW how that debt is paid, and are BEYOND thankful to Him for it.

Others, think THEY have to do SOMETHING ELSE Besides the above to pay their sin debt.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
This whole question just seems like a HUGE strawman being erected with some other motive than to just answer it.

NO true Christian thinks they are not responsible for their sin. The REAL question is, how is this accumulated sin debt paid.

Those of us that trust SOLELY in Jesus Christ, His atoning death, and subsequent resurrection, KNOW how that debt is paid, and are BEYOND thankful to Him for it.

Others, think THEY have to do SOMETHING ELSE Besides the above to pay their sin debt.
I would even go further to say, if we are responsible for our sins alone and not anyone else’s sin, then young ones are innocent until they sin, until they know good and evil.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would even go further to say, if we are responsible for our sins alone and not anyone else’s sin, then young ones are innocent until they sin, until they know good and evil.
That's a non sequitur. I don't seen any connection at all between the premise and the conclusion.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
That's a non sequitur. I don't seen any connection at all between the premise and the conclusion.
Only stating to explain that young ones are not responsible for Adam’s sin but their own, when they reach that time when they can understand good and evil.

dodgingstones

Nov 20, 2019

Scripture has examples of believers who chose death over denying God.
Seems 2 me it would be a sin.

dodgingstones

Nov 20, 2019
I believe that false teachers will be held accountable for those they lead astray.....

Apr 15, 2017
It would be a sin even if a gun is pointed to your head for we are never to deny God and the truth even when persecuted, and saving your skin is not an excuse for then how do you really love the Lord if you love your flesh more, and you give in to the enemy letting them hear what they want to hear and toying with you.

Peter would eat with Gentile saints but when the circumcision came around he would eat with them for he feared them, but Paul got in his face and told him that he was not walking uprightly according to the Gospel of truth, and Peter had no excuse because he feared for his physical life.

Love casts out fear, for there is no fear in love, and Jesus said do not worry what they can do to the body but can do no more, but fear God.

Even if we do not mean it but saving our skin we still cannot say it for if you say it you would be wavering in your walk with Christ.

Apr 15, 2017
The Bible says that the angels always behold the face of the Father for the little ones.

We are not blamed for anyone's sins, and the sin of Adam and Eve does not affect us for that is their sin not our sin.

Adam and Eve were created knowing God and having a relationship with Him, but when they sinned it gave them a choice between good and evil and they would have to choose between the two.

So all their offspring are born with a choice, so they are born not knowing God so they will sin before they repent and follow God.

But Adam and Eve's sin does not come upon them so they are innocent until they sin knowing good from evil.

The Bible says all have sinned, done the act, and come short of the glory of God, not we are born with sin already attached to us for that comes later when we do the act, and the angels protect the little ones spiritually until they come to the time of accountability and sin affecting them for then it is up to them to correct it.

It is that choice thing from Adam and Eve that causes us to be born not knowing God, not the sin that they did that affects us, although it was because of their sin that gave their offspring a choice.