Are WOMEN Pastors Biblical??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Scribe

Then God will send you a wife and the wisdom required to honor God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Paul said marriage was a choice. God can use you whether you choose to marry or stay single. That is all on you. 1 Cor 7. If you do marry you will have trouble in the flesh and I would spare you. But if you do marry you have not sinned. You can still be a pastor. Just one wife though. Not more than one. :)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Paul said marriage was a choice. God can use you whether you choose to marry or stay single. That is all on you. 1 Cor 7. If you do marry you will have trouble in the flesh and I would spare you. But if you do marry you have not sinned. You can still be a pastor. Just one wife though. Not more than one. :)
Just remember, he wouldn't allow Jesus to pastor his church either. ;)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Just remember, he wouldn't allow Jesus to pastor his church either. ;)
Just another ignorant remark. Why would you disparage the Son of God in that fashion?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
God said that pastors are to be married. You do not have a wife seek one from God. He that getteth a wife from God getteth a good thing.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Just another ignorant remark. Why would you disparage the Son of God in that fashion?

For the cause of Christ
Roger
God created man in his image. With a sense of humour. Too much religion can knock that right out of you.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
God created man in his image. With a sense of humour. Too much religion can knock that right out of you.
Sorry but there is nothing humorous about that type of remark.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

CS1

May 23, 2012

For the cause of Christ
Roger
wait you mean you are the Son of God or a son of God?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Sorry but there is nothing humorous about that type of remark.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
"We are NOT amused!"

The Grand Poobah Roger hath spoken. Let us now bring our collective sense of humour into conformity with His Rogerness' opinion.

CS1

May 23, 2012
God said that pastors are to be married. You do not have a wife seek one from God. He that getteth a wife from God getteth a good thing.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
God said " Pastors are to be married " Or was it written that Pastors shall be the husband of ONE Wife?

S

Scribe

For the cause of Christ
Roger
1 Cor 7:27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
1 Cor 7:27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.
Context of 1 Cor 7:27 has nothing to do with the qualifications of a church pastor. If you do not want to marry then don't marry. If you expect God to call you into a pastorate then seek a wife.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Context of 1 Cor 7:27 has nothing to do with the qualifications of a church pastor. If you do not want to marry then don't marry. If you expect God to call you into a pastorate then seek a wife.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Paul was a widower. We have no idea whether Timothy was married or Barnabas.

Jan 14, 2021

CS1

May 23, 2012

You what I find interesting those who are so legalistic about women preaching yet they have more compassion for transgender men and women LOL. These same types will justify a woman POTUS or leader when the Word says a woman shall not have authority over a man. Is that not hypocritical? Just asking.

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
First off I did not call you a "women hater" that is something you say. 2. You did not answer my points or question but gave back more to me. I am not going to play that game with you.
Of course your not going to take the time to answer my questions. I would have expected no other reply. Every person opposed to this interpretation flees from questions like the plague. One presenting questions and the other responding with answers, is how true discussions operate. Then the person, having given answer, posses their questions to the other side. If no one is willing to give answer, then either they fear their belief will not stand the true test of examination or they just want to espouse their thoughts.

I don't remember any question being posed in my direction. That maybe my fault but if you have one, ask away.

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
You what I find interesting those who are so legalistic about women preaching yet they have more compassion for transgender men and women LOL. These same types will justify a woman POTUS or leader when the Word says a woman shall not have authority over a man. Is that not hypocritical? Just asking.
That's because they do not know what the Scriptures teach. No true believer could EVER accept the idea of a woman President, a transgender anything or homosexuality.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Of course your not going to take the time to answer my questions. I would have expected no other reply. Every person opposed to this interpretation flees from questions like the plague. One presenting questions and the other responding with answers, is how true discussions operate. Then the person, having given answer, posses their questions to the other side. If no one is willing to give answer, then either they fear their belief will not stand the true test of examination or they just want to espouse their thoughts.

I don't remember any question being posed in my direction. That maybe my fault but if you have one, ask away.
If you have one ask away what was your question? don't assume I did not answer it you must have just diagreed

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
We have answered, you don't have to agree with the interpretation but it is not correct to say that we have refused to answer.

Did you forget about the many women constantly mentioned in the Gospels as being disciples? Maybe you meant "Apostles?"
or maybe the 70?

It was God's plan.

Pricilla Taught Apollos. There are plenty of women mentioned in the NT that were co workers with Paul and had churches in their homes and were points of contact between Paul and the church thus signifying a spokesperson role. It is not known what role some of the men mentioned played and yet assumptions are made about their influence among the local assemblies, why not assume the same about the women called coworkers, and hosting house churches? Your rejection of these verses as not strong enough is understandable but the same logic must be applied about the verses that are not specific about the men who are mentioned.

Respect. And this is the truth that should be emphasized. A wife should respect her husband and submit to his authority.

And we are back to the interpretation of 1 Tim 2:12 again. The wife should not Teach/Correct/Domineer her husband and often that means not saying something when she is tempted to. Being quiet when she might want to tell him that he is wrong.

As you read through Proverbs you see that this contentious wife issue is a motif that is brought up often. It is addressed because it is common to all marriages. Paul taught about it to all the churches and Peter repeated it (1 Pet 3).

Now you may still insist that the subject is about a woman preaching or teaching the bible in the church when men are present and that is your right, there are many that you can fellowship with that will agree with you and y'all can happily exclude women from your pulpits until Jesus comes back again. However, you can't say that no one is answering your questions. You can only say that you don't agree with the answers.

However, those of us who do not think he was excluding women from pulpit ministry and who are blessed to receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit in operation in anointed women ministers of God will do so until Jesus comes again and rejoice with those women who hear "Well Done.." and receive eternal rewards for obeying the call of God and who are you to judge another man's servant?
Okay a possible working dialogue. Let's look at the first three questions and answers.

1) If Paul did not mean for a woman to teach, then why did he say it?
You answered: We have answered, you don't have to agree with the interpretation but it is not correct to say that we have refused to answer.
The answer was that He could have meant That a wife should not teach her husband in such a way as would be domineering, or forcing her views over his. Like Correcting form of Teaching. A disrespect. Like what you see when a wife corrects her husband in public Teaching him how he is wrong about something and she is going to correct him, telling him how it really should be said. It is embarrassing and not the kind of submissive spirit that she should have out of respect toward her husband. You want to apply it to Teaching the Bible in the pulpit and I think he is talking about Teaching her husband like one of the kids in the family. If it does mean teaching the bible it would still be in the context of teaching her husband something that is false doctrine that was going on in the church from the false teachers that were getting women to agree with their error and these women might have been trying to teach it to their husbands. If the husband said that they are in error with this doctrine they should submit to the husband and quit teaching it.

Your answer makes this about a husband and wife relationship. However the immediate context will not support this interpretation. There is no mention of the husband and wife in 1 Tim. 2. Paul was discussing that men should pray for leaders that we must lead a quiet and tranquil life. He then turns to the women and gives some instructions for them. Some of these women maybe married but the martial status is not under discussion here. It is simply women in general. The points of instruction for them is:
1). A woman is to adorn herself modestly. (v.9)
2). A woman is to learn in quietness with all subjection. (v.11)
3.) A woman is not permitted to teach nor have dominion over the man. (v.12)

Paul's explanation for this is given in verses 13-15. The question was why did he say this? I agree with you that it had everything to do with order in the assembly - question number 2. However, I cannot agree this has something to do with the husband and wife relationship. The immediate context will not support this as will be shown shortly.

Next question was:

2) If Paul said that a woman was to remain silent and it was shameful for her to speak, why did he say this?
You answered: Again the answer has been given several times. The context suggest that they were asking questions in the assembly in a disorderly manner. Two other times in 1 Cor 14 it says to be silent in the church. Tongues without an interpreter, prophesying when it is someone else's turn to prophesy, and women asking questions. The main point of the dialogue is doing things decently and in order.

Again I agree with you, that all of these things were said to maintain the proper godly order in the assembly. The instruction that women were to keep silent is still in effect today, just as are the other inhibiting instructions: 1) Speaking in another language without an interpreter, 2) Prophesying in a disorderly manner.

Next question was:

3) Where was the woman not to teach and speak?

You answered: Already answered in 2

So you agree with me, that the location for these instructions is in the assembly. The point of contention then is in the interpretation of 1 Tim. 2. You make it about the husband and wife relationship because of what Peter had to say. Thus, you attempt to extend the contextual understanding to far for proper interpretation. We must stay within Paul's Epistle for the proper understanding.

After Paul gave the instructions to Timothy about the women, he then followed it with the discussion of assembly offices .One must ignore the Chapter breaks as they are an invention of men. So the Epistle reads in this way:

1Ti 2:7-3:5 whereunto I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I speak the truth, I lie not), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth. I desire therefore that the men pray in every place, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and disputing. In like manner, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefastness and sobriety; not with braided hair, and gold or pearls or costly raiment; but (which becometh women professing godliness) through good works. Let a woman learn in quietness with all subjection.

But I permit not a woman to teach, nor to have dominion over a man, but to be in quietness. For Adam was first formed, then Eve; and Adam was not beguiled, but the woman being beguiled hath fallen into transgression: but she shall be saved through her child-bearing, if they continue in faith and love and sanctification with sobriety.

Faithful is the saying, If a man seeketh the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. The bishop therefore must be without reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, orderly, given to hospitality, apt to teach; no brawler, no striker; but gentle, not contentious, no lover of money; one that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (but if a man knoweth not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

It is then easier to see the intended letter as it was written. Paul started by giving instructions to the men. He mentions he was appointed a Preacher and an Apostle, which brings ones thoughts back to assembly life. He then gives instructions for the women before he begins talking about the various offices of the assembly. It is obvious, if you let the Scriptures talk to you, that Paul did this because he wanted Timothy to clearly understand that women were disqualified from the positions he was bringing into the conversation. The portion dealing with the offices of the assembly.

No one can dispute that women have been, are, and will be used in many powerful ways by God, in the assistance of the ministry, witnessing and many other good works BUT teaching from the pulpit is not one of them.