Are you a planner or spontaneous?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 19, 2020
I'd say I'm 75 percent setting a routine and schedule and 25 just make it up as i go. What say you internet?

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
I’m definitely a planner.

The only time I’d be spontaneous is when it’s night time and I have the midnight giggles or if I’m feeling random.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I'd say I'm 75 percent setting a routine and schedule and 25 just make it up as i go. What say you internet?
Great question!

I like to engage in what I think of as "planned spontaneity." I used to live in a place where there were several things to do or see a few hours a away, so I loved it when friends would be suddenly say, "Want to go (to such-and-such) tomorrow?" or just a local coffee shop after work that night. It didn't happen often, but it was enough to leave a lasting impression and sense of withdrawal when it ended. I miss the days when things seemed a little more carefree.

Even though life became a lot more structured as more and more responsibilities were added on... One of my goals for the upcoming years is to try to get back a little bit more of that last-minute adventure. :)

Feb 19, 2020
Great question!

I like to engage in what I think of as "planned spontaneity." I used to live in a place where there were several things to do or see a few hours a away, so I loved it when friends would be suddenly say, "Want to go (to such-and-such) tomorrow?" or just a local coffee shop after work that night. It didn't happen often, but it was enough to leave a lasting impression and sense of withdrawal when it ended. I miss the days when things seemed a little more carefree.

Even though life became a lot more structured as more and more responsibilities were added on... One of my goals for the upcoming years is to try to get back a little bit more of that last-minute adventure. :)
Make one day a week the random stuff day. Wait, that's planning it...

Feb 19, 2020
I’m definitely a planner.

The only time I’d be spontaneous is when it’s night time and I have the midnight giggles or if I’m feeling random.
Sure, all random things happen after midnight. As a night owl I can confirm

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
I’m a planner. I read a book years ago (and several since then) which articulated the merits of goal setting. They concluded less than 5% of the populations sets goals a d of that number only 3% accomplish them. I’ve seen those statistics borne out many times over.

I practice lifestyle design and surround myself with others who do the same. We share our gains and challenges. Flow and ROI are central themes in my life. They allow me to accomplish more and devote my time to activities best suited for my talents and purpose.

For those desiring to be more intentional, The 12 Week Year is a great resource.

C

CozHElivesIcanface2morrow

I don't plan 😊 I am spontaneous...planning bores me and it makes me feel anxious 😂 rushing makes me feel alive and excited. My mind runs smoothly and I think fast when I rush 😅

Eversince when I was a kid... I study the night before the exam or 2 hours before. I Prepare my things the day I want to go 😊

A few days ago I celebrated my birthday with 3 friends though I said to myself I'll celebrate it a week after because I want to do this and that...But then again It happened a few days before my birthday 😂 my friend was like you didnt even let me wrap something or make something for you 😁

I am that kind of person that the more I plan the more I mess up 🤔 maybe because my mind can't store so much things in there for a long time....it tends to forget anything that fast 😊

I know a person who is so cool 😅 she labels everything (write a reminder on it) she plans her days...from day 1 to 7 and I feel like she is cool and look at myself like why I can't do the way she does... 🤔 she don't mess up or maybe she did but she still can count how many times using her hands 😅

Feb 19, 2020
Really interesting responses so far, thanks for the input!

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Make one day a week the random stuff day. Wait, that's planning it...
A good friend and I have a "dream trip" planned hopefully for sometime next year.

So while the trip itself has taken years to plan and save for, it's to a place I have a general familiarity with.

I'm trying to save extra money so that wherever my friend wants to go on a whim, it will be covered and nothing to be worried about -- planned spontaneity in action. :)

P.S. I always find it fascinating that God makes us all so differently. Although I still get bit by the procrastination bug, doing everything at the last minute all the time would give me panic attacks. But I love the fact that God puts people together to play off each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Last-minute people help keep me balanced by reminding me not to take things too seriously and loosen up once in a while. :)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I would say 70 percent spontaneous 30 percent planned...I. hoping to have more of a balance of 50/50 because things like events are better planned ahead so others can contribute and get their act together!

doesnt always work though...!

I used to have workmate that would annoy me and always ask if I had anything planned for the weekend. I always looked at her blankly and said no, I just plan on not working.

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
A good friend and I have a "dream trip" planned hopefully for sometime next year.

P.S. I always find it fascinating that God makes us all so differently. Although I still get bit by the procrastination bug, doing everything at the last minute all the time would give me panic attacks. But I love the fact that God puts people together to play off each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Last-minute people help keep me balanced by reminding me not to take things too seriously and loosen up once in a while. :)
I hope you have a wonderful time. I’m moving overseas for several years for school and will be traipsing Europe with a friend.

I have much latitude in my day but the absence of planning would hinder my productivity.

I know many sing the merits of spontaneity. But I’m privy to the challenges many face when greater responsibilities arrive. Like marriage and children. There’s a reason homemaking, cooking and organizing are popular topics on social media. Orderliness brings a measure of peace and satisfaction that can’t be ignored.

And the bible tells us to count our days and addresses the perils when vision is lacking. We see the continual outworking of God’s plan from start to finish. He didn’t throw it together.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I'm not saying I'm a compulsive overplanner, but I do tend to pack my suitcases a week in advance of a trip.

love_comes_softly

Feb 13, 2019
I love to plan and organize. In my work life, it’s absolutely necessary, but in my personal life, I like to be spontaneous.

I grew up with things not being planned out, everything was spur of the moment. I think the desire to be a planner comes from that, but I still find activities and adventures tend to be spontaneous in the decision making part, but planned as much as can be after that. If that makes sense.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I like to plan. It's more fun if I know in advance what I want to do, and then do it. I know I'm not missing anything.

Though I have occasionally popped out to a new restaurant just to try their desserts. (Usually the best way to quickly and relatively cheaply gauge the quality of a new restaurant is to get a dessert to go.)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I hope you have a wonderful time. I’m moving overseas for several years for school and will be traipsing Europe with a friend.

I have much latitude in my day but the absence of planning would hinder my productivity.

I know many sing the merits of spontaneity. But I’m privy to the challenges many face when greater responsibilities arrive. Like marriage and children. There’s a reason homemaking, cooking and organizing are popular topics on social media. Orderliness brings a measure of peace and satisfaction that can’t be ignored.

And the bible tells us to count our days and addresses the perils when vision is lacking. We see the continual outworking of God’s plan from start to finish. He didn’t throw it together.
Thank you so much and I hope you have an amazing experience studying overseas! I think that's one of the most daring and enriching experiences a person can embark on. I've had friends and family who have done this and while I haven't done so yet myself, maybe someday. :)

You sound like an absolutely fascinating person and I really hope you'll tell us more about your experiences and adventures. :)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I'm not saying I'm a compulsive overplanner, but I do tend to pack my suitcases a week in advance of a trip.
I used to think this was extreme as well, but now know that it's a necessity (for me, maybe not for other people) to pack well in advance (can I claim to be more obsessive compulsive than you if I admit that I packed over a month in advance for my last trip?) :D

I also have a regular checklist I made up a long time ago of basic things that are divided into categories ("Clothes," "Toiletries," "Entertainment," "Documents," etc.) so I'm less likely to forget anything.

The past few trips I've made, I not only had to pack far in advance, but also write down some specifics of what I packed ("red ninja t-shirt") because otherwise I'll forget if I included something to wear to church or not, etc. I'm also a chronic over-packer, so packing in advance gives me time to see what I use in my current normal routine and hopefully swap a few things out.

While I'd like to tell myself I'm just "being organized", perhaps "going stupid crazy" would be a more accurate description. o_O:cool:;)

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
I used to think this was extreme as well, but now know that it's a necessity (for me, maybe not for other people) to pack well in advance (can I claim to be more obsessive compulsive than you if I admit that I packed over a month in advance for my last trip?) :D

I also have a regular checklist I made up a long time ago of basic things that are divided into categories ("Clothes," "Toiletries," "Entertainment," "Documents," etc.) so I'm less likely to forget anything.

The past few trips I've made, I not only had to pack far in advance, but also write down some specifics of what I packed ("red ninja t-shirt") because otherwise I'll forget if I included something to wear to church or not, etc. I'm also a chronic over-packer, so packing in advance gives me time to see what I use in my current normal routine and hopefully swap a few things out.

While I'd like to tell myself I'm just "being organized", perhaps "going stupid crazy" would be a more accurate description. o_O:cool:;)

I confess I am like this too, although I have noticed I am changing :unsure::whistle:

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
Thank you so much and I hope you have an amazing experience studying overseas! I think that's one of the most daring and enriching experiences a person can embark on. I've had friends and family who have done this and while I haven't done so yet myself, maybe someday. :)

You sound like an absolutely fascinating person and I really hope you'll tell us more about your experiences and adventures. :)
Thank you for the kind words! :)

If going overseas is a desire of your heart leave it in God’s hands. Rest assured, it won’t arrive in the guise you expect.

Thank you for the compliment. I will do so as the Lord leads.

Belka

Aug 24, 2017
I'm more spontaneous and too much planning bothers me (especially coming from another person, unless it's for professional reasons, and even then, I like to have a measure of flexibility in my work).

For example, if you ask me "What are your plans for this weekend?" or next week, or next month, or this summer, etc. I will literally not have anything to tell you unless there's a particular event that I want to attend or a particular situation that's extra-ordinary that requires me to make a plan for it beforehand (a friend visiting from far away, etc.).

My closest physical friend and I are similar in this regard and we just randomly decide to do things together, kind of on the spot. And we never get upset if either of us somehow changes their mind right before the meeting or if we arrive late, etc. It probably helps that we're in very similar situations in life and live kind of close to each other, though.

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
I'm more spontaneous and too much planning bothers me (especially coming from another person, unless it's for professional reasons, and even then, I like to have a measure of flexibility in my work).

For example, if you ask me "What are your plans for this weekend?" or next week, or next month, or this summer, etc. I will literally not have anything to tell you unless there's a particular event that I want to attend or a particular situation that's extra-ordinary that requires me to make a plan for it beforehand (a friend visiting from far away, etc.).

My closest physical friend and I are similar in this regard and we just randomly decide to do things together, kind of on the spot. And we never get upset if either of us somehow changes their mind right before the meeting or if we arrive late, etc. It probably helps that we're in very similar situations in life and live kind of close to each other, though.
Many people who emphasize planning are very goal-driven. The thrill of accomplishment is part of its attraction. Planning is a byproduct of drive and that’s what fuels me. I’m attracted to growth and excellence.

That doesn’t mean there’s no spontaneity. I’m judicious with my time since I left the workforce. Being home allows me to structure its pace at the tone I prefer. But it also required changes in others and their desire for access. It’s not sustainable and disrupts my flow.

My friends are self-employed or retired. We each have latitude in our day. As you noted, it helps when you’re in similar seasons or situations. We schedule talks and that works best.