Australian power companies to cut power

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mooky

Hi fellow Aussies - or whoever knows anything about this,

I recently heard that Australia is going to be having power outages in order to save money.This somehow has to do with the Paris agreement.
Could someone kindly fill me in on the details as I have only just heard of this.

Thanks.

U

Ugly

All kinds of articles on it if you Google it

M

Mooky

I'm not sure what search terms to use because when I do a search, I just get results that link me to last years power outages - not the proposed ones on the governments agenda.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Something like "power outages in Australia to save money 2017"

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro

I recently heard that Australia is going to be having power outages in order to save money.This somehow has to do with the Paris agreement.
Could someone kindly fill me in on the details as I have only just heard of this.

Thanks.
That sounds terrible. I'm planning to visit AU sometime soon and I absolutely hate power outages lol.

Dec 12, 2013
I just spent a month there and been back less than two weeks.....On the news while there I seen the government raking power companies over the coals because AU has the highest cost for power in the world...did not see anything about them cutting power and I have a hard time seeing the Aussie public allowing that to happen.......

Dec 12, 2013
Did some research and found this.....the only thing I could find with the verbiage of forced power outages.....

POWER prices are on their way up so it is time to follow the Prime Minister’s lead and install solar panels on your roof?
Details of Malcolm Turnbull’s heavy-duty solar set up were revealed on Monday, after an eventful week where South Australia lost power and NSW residents also came very close to forced outages as high temperatures sent electricity consumption soaring.
According to the Australian Financial Review, Mr Turnbull upgraded the solar panels on his Point Piper mansion last year to a 14.5 hour kilowatt system, and also added a 14 kilowatt hour LG Chem battery stack, that would likely shield him from potential blackouts.

Jan 6, 2013
Try using the terms "load shedding" or "rolling blackouts". Those are commonly used terms. They were doing it in South Africa for a while. Not sure if they still are.

Alertandawake

Aug 20, 2017
Yeah I am in NSW, and yes the power costs did increased as I noticed it on my last bill. I have been trying to search for this Paris agreement. Sounds like something to do with carbon emissions.

MY personal opinion, people have to pay more to use less.

D

Depleted

Thanks.
An American perspective on the Paris Agreement:
If America gives billions of dollars every year to other select countries, the other countries promise to try and cut down their energy consumption for the goal of lowering the global temperature by .04 degrees in a mere 100+ years.

To clarify, the global temperature has, indeed, increased by .06 degrees in the last 130 years. This might be a trend or simply a fluke, because no one kept records of temperatures before 130 years ago.

So, yeah. Really, we got out of that lunacy recently. Ends up real scientists know there is no global warming at levels worth worrying about.

As for what you're headed into? If you already went through it last year, basically repeat until sanity is voted in. (Nothing personal, but I think our government is making strides to compete for the lunacy level of your government. We might be catching up too.) If you don't want to lose your electricity move close enough to a hospital that you share the same grid. Of course, then you get stuck dealing with the problems of living that close to a hospital like helicopters coming and going all times of the day and night, only to be outdone by the amount of ambulance sirens you hear. And then the stark reality that people would rather walk a few blocks from their cars than pay money for garage parking, so good luck finding a parking spot near home. (Have I been living in a city for too long? lol)

D

Depleted

That sounds terrible. I'm planning to visit AU sometime soon and I absolutely hate power outages lol.
IDK. I think there is an unspoken law on CC that anyone going to Oz must take DC with them. (dcontroversal, not our federal government, thankfully, because our federal government would be so miserable, I'm sure you'd consider jumping out of the plane sans parachute halfway there.
)

I'm not sure, but I think that might be true for the number of times he's gone.

Dec 12, 2013
IDK. I think there is an unspoken law on CC that anyone going to Oz must take DC with them. (dcontroversal, not our federal government, thankfully, because our federal government would be so miserable, I'm sure you'd consider jumping out of the plane sans parachute halfway there.
)

I'm not sure, but I think that might be true for the number of times he's gone.
7 and counting ;) HAHAH

Feb 28, 2016
if we are led to go, we are definitely 'booking' DC...:):rolleyes:

M

Mooky

An American perspective on the Paris Agreement:
If America gives billions of dollars every year to other select countries, the other countries promise to try and cut down their energy consumption for the goal of lowering the global temperature by .04 degrees in a mere 100+ years.

To clarify, the global temperature has, indeed, increased by .06 degrees in the last 130 years. This might be a trend or simply a fluke, because no one kept records of temperatures before 130 years ago.

So, yeah. Really, we got out of that lunacy recently. Ends up real scientists know there is no global warming at levels worth worrying about.

As for what you're headed into? If you already went through it last year, basically repeat until sanity is voted in. (Nothing personal, but I think our government is making strides to compete for the lunacy level of your government. We might be catching up too.) If you don't want to lose your electricity move close enough to a hospital that you share the same grid. Of course, then you get stuck dealing with the problems of living that close to a hospital like helicopters coming and going all times of the day and night, only to be outdone by the amount of ambulance sirens you hear. And then the stark reality that people would rather walk a few blocks from their cars than pay money for garage parking, so good luck finding a parking spot near home. (Have I been living in a city for too long? lol)
Might be moving soon.Think solar panels are the go. :)

D

Depleted

Might be moving soon.Think solar panels are the go. :)
The problems with solar paneling:
1. Guess how they're made. (Hint, the very fuel those who want solar only hate. lol)
2. The savings with solar panel is even with the cost of making them and putting them up. And, sure nuff, they last just that long, so by the time you're done, you neither saved money, nor lost it, except in the time and effort to set them up.
3. Between darkness and cloudy days, the batteries to store the electricity made fall under the two problems above this, and they're a bio-hazard for future generations to deal with.

Stuff they just don't like to mention when they're going all green on you. lol

Dec 12, 2013
The problems with solar paneling:
1. Guess how they're made. (Hint, the very fuel those who want solar only hate. lol)
2. The savings with solar panel is even with the cost of making them and putting them up. And, sure nuff, they last just that long, so by the time you're done, you neither saved money, nor lost it, except in the time and effort to set them up.
3. Between darkness and cloudy days, the batteries to store the electricity made fall under the two problems above this, and they're a bio-hazard for future generations to deal with.

Stuff they just don't like to mention when they're going all green on you. lol
I live off grid and generate my own power....I have three solar battery banks....My panels have been up 6 years and still work fine, my batteries lasted 5 years and can be rejuvenated and reused no problem....I generate over 5 kilowatts a day and have no issue with my panels, batteries, amp charge controllers and or my inverters.....the panels I use generate on cloudy days and even under 6 inches of snow.....although I sweep the snow off and clean them 6 times a year

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

Thanks.
The guy in charge needs to do what Trump did and just pull out of that nonsense. The Paris deal does nothing tangible in reducing carbon emissions and the cost to certain countries are disproportional with absolutely no benefits derived. I'm sure that China and Russia are India are going to eliminate all of the power plants and automobiles. Not.

Feb 28, 2016
after Hubs and my 'conversion', we were taught many things by the HS, as we were totally
re-directed away from the world and were taught how to survive without ele...,
we burned-gave-sold ALL...
plus hub was told to burn his 'black-book', which contained all of his customers, his living
per say...we were taught brand-new-ways in how to 'totally Trust in our Saviour', and
how to 'live-by-Faith'...hard times, yes, awesome times, yes, and all in-between,.
all sweet and savory, over-flowing thankfulness, to say the least...

you would be amazed what we learned as far as how to live and eat', without modern
commodities...

we made our own 'solar water tank' out of a 55gal. drum, placed on top of our barn,
and ran a hose to our bathroom/shower...this was just one miracle, and so many others
followed as we began to know and Love, follow our Saviour...

Last edited: