Awake to Righteousness and Don't Sin

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
So you couldn't find any of my posts to support your accusation?
I prefaced my post with the following words: “correct me if I’m wrong.” Therefore I was not accusing you of anything, I was seeking clarification. You’re welcome.

I

IFOLLOWHIM

1 Cor.15:34 Awake to righteousness,and sin not; FOR SOME HAVE NOT THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD: I speak this to your shame
Rms.9:30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles,which followed not after righteousness,HAVE ATTAINED to righteousness,EVEN THE RIGHTEOUSNESS WHICH IS OF FAITH.

To me these 2 verses speak volumes.
We must be Alert,Awake,Aware that His righteousness is how we are to walk in the knowledge of Him....... How do we know Him ,by the inspired word and the leading of the Holy Spirit!
It is a shame that we make OUR knowledge the primary source in talking to others,as if they might be impressed by Greek,Hebrew,Latin.....ect.ect. OUR doctrines,theologies,interpretations or thoughts!

We extend ourselves to Him and He reaches back with His covering of righteousness!

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
1 Cor.15:34 Awake to righteousness,and sin not; FOR SOME HAVE NOT THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD: I speak this to your shame
Rms.9:30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles,which followed not after righteousness,HAVE ATTAINED to righteousness,EVEN THE RIGHTEOUSNESS WHICH IS OF FAITH.

To me these 2 verses speak volumes.
We must be Alert,Awake,Aware that His righteousness is how we are to walk in the knowledge of Him....... How do we know Him ,by the inspired word and the leading of the Holy Spirit!
It is a shame that we make OUR knowledge the primary source in talking to others,as if they might be impressed by Greek,Hebrew,Latin.....ect.ect. OUR doctrines,theologies,interpretations or thoughts!

We extend ourselves to Him and He reaches back with His covering of righteousness!
9:30 reminds me of the Roman Centurion that told Jesus to just say the word and his servant would be healed. That’s kind of faith we as Believers should have. With that will come the righteousness. Jew or Gentile, God gives to all whom accept and follow the Son of Man!

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
9:30 reminds me of the Roman Centurion that told Jesus to just say the word and his servant would be healed. That’s kind of faith we as Believers should have. With that will come the righteousness. Jew or Gentile, God gives to all whom accept and follow the Son of Man!
Imagine such a radical faith today. Wouldn't it be awesome if the church operated in her calling as such.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Imagine such a radical faith today. Wouldn't it be awesome if the church operated in her calling as such.
Yes. For Jesus to state the He had not seen faith like that in all of Israel was paramount. This truly shows that Jesus is the God of all.

I

IFOLLOWHIM

Hi @Chris1975
I am a salvation losing worker bee! 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Salvation is a fixed purchase price and was freely given by God and His son.
Grace is given by His love and mercy to an undeserving humanity.
Faith is accepting something we are not sure of nor see but have hope that in belief of God's truth!

I believe that repentance isn't a one time event bc none of us have obtained perfection yet.
If we allow sin in our hearts and keep it unconfessed and do not repent then sin eventually will sever our relationship to Him.
We break the relationship and backslide or turn FROM Him to become slaves to sin!

There are many conditions to our walk in Him,we MUST meet these conditions to apprehend our heirship with Him!
God is eternal,salvation is finished in Jesus!
There are........IFS......... in the word!
He does "works" in and through us! Amen!

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
Hi @Chris1975

Faith is accepting something we are not sure of nor see but have hope that in belief of God's truth!

I believe that repentance isn't a one time event bc none of us have obtained perfection yet.
If we allow sin in our hearts and keep it unconfessed and do not repent then sin eventually will sever our relationship to Him.
We break the relationship and backslide or turn FROM Him to become slaves to sin!

There are many conditions to our walk in Him,we MUST meet these conditions to apprehend our heirship with Him!
Amen, I would add a change to one part (the Red) above, which is instead of saying not sure of, I would posit that we are absolutely sure of. Its the evidence of things not seen. And I'm sure you probably meant it in that way. I am absolutely convinced of Jesus Christ, his sacrifice of himself on the cross as for the redemption of my soul, and Him being raised to life and being seated at the right hand of the Father.

I

IFOLLOWHIM

I agree,Chris!
I am sure in my heart that God the Father is our creator,Jesus His beloved son is my saviour,and the Holy Spirit is my guide.

I'm visiting away from home @ the moment....going home tomorrow....and there is madness here with an out of control 5 yr.old,an autistic 9 yr old and two parents who need God's discipline!

Praise Jesus.....I'm looking forward to the 9 hr drive alone with Jesus!

Blessings!

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
I agree,Chris!
I am sure in my heart that God the Father is our creator,Jesus His beloved son is my saviour,and the Holy Spirit is my guide.

I'm visiting away from home @ the moment....going home tomorrow....and there is madness here with an out of control 5 yr.old,an autistic 9 yr old and two parents who need God's discipline!

Praise Jesus.....I'm looking forward to the 9 hr drive alone with Jesus!

Blessings!
Awesome. Hope you have enough Gospel music that you can take with you. Be sure to rest often and take regular breaks. 9hrs alone is a long drive.

Dec 30, 2019
AWAKE TO RIGHTEOUSNESS.
People like to use complicated words. Righteousness means to be right with God. Jesus talks about this in Matthew 25:33 "He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left." There is no middle ground. No one sits on the fence. People are either goats or sheep. They are either right with God or they are not right with God. The Grace of God give us the strength to live right before God.

Dec 30, 2019
there is madness here with an out of control 5 yr.old,
You have to take authority in the name of Jesus.
God the Father is our creator,Jesus His beloved son is my saviour,and the Holy Spirit is my guide.
It is interesting in Genesis 1:26 we read: “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness," We know that Father, Son & Holy Spirit work together to do a work in us. Even Jesus lived His live as an example for us to follow.

I

IFOLLOWHIM

Awesome. Hope you have enough Gospel music that you can take with you. Be sure to rest often and take regular breaks. 9hrs alone is a long drive.

I have the complete KJV on audio and praise and worship music....by the time I get home I will be sweet in my soul!

Thank you!

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
And you, pure and kind as you are? are consistent in finding fault.
Instead of merely responding with an accusation, why don't you consider the substance of my criticism.

Do you truly think we are to put our entire effort into obeying the Lord? That would be saying we should learn the law, put it in our hearts, and follow it.
Obeying the Lord is not burdensome. At times we need to focus on obeying, or on avoiding specific sin(s). Obedience, by itself, should not be the focus of our Christian life, but a natural outcome of a vibrant relationship with the Lord.

Dec 30, 2019
the topic of sin becomes one that has already been dealt with at the cross
Jesus said: "It is finished", yet I had not even been born and He had not even begun to do a work in me and in my life.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Hi @Chris1975

You believe the power of your sin is greater than the power of Jesus Christ’s saving grace. Thank God that’s not the case.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Once more a reminder: faith without works is no faith at all. God, Himself, gives us sthe works to do...…….we do not dream up some theology requiring us to our Father a favor, that is impossible.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When Jesus, Yeshua, declared, "it is finished," He immediately gave up His Spirit.

He had praiyed earnestly for the agony of the cross to be dismissed for Him in the garden, yet leaving it up to the Father entirely, knowing it was a necessary task.

When He said it was finished He was speaking of the mission He came to fulfill, and that agony He had preferred to not have, yet for you, for me, and for all, He did it. He overcame sin, yes, but it is up tho all to believe HIm,.... This is not finished, it is continual….

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
1 Corinthians 15
34 Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.

This verse should settle the whole matter of these endless debates in the Church.

There should be no doubt that this is addressed to the Church. Not unbelievers. But yet you say (we are righteous!). That you are, positionally in Christ through faith in Jesus. Yet you are called to AWAKE TO RIGHTEOUSNESS. How can that be? Because you still have no comprehension that God has not changed one iota towards this topic of SIN. It is what caused the downfall in the garden, it is what caused separation and captivity of Israel, and is the primary cause of Apostacy in the Church. He has given US all the grace we need to live in victory, and live a life led by the Spirit.

When confronted (here on these forums) about obedience, holiness, doing the will of God - there is kick-back. Works salvationists we are falsely called. Yet these very things describe life in the Spirit. When confronting the dangers of sin, the topic of sin becomes one that has already been dealt with at the cross, we are forever righteous and cannot lose our salvation, etc, etc. When confronted with verses which WARN believers against unholy behaviour, we see twisting and squirming - changing words and meanings, and intellectualising. Yet Paul is, of whom you all quote, WARNING those in the church to AWAKE TO RIGHTEOUSNESS, and DO NOT SIN. Paul is not in conflict with the words of Jesus. Paul is not in conflict with the words of John. They marry perfectly.

Those who don't understand, or don't "see" this above - don't understand the Gospel at all. They do not have the knowledge of God. Haven't understood the cross to which they claim to cling.

Like Paul says - it is to your shame. For you do not have the knowledge of God.
Just because we are lacking in a knowledge of the scriptures does not mean that we have not been born again.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
My sister, it is an absolute pleasure. Bless you.

Here is another confirming your post above:

2 Peter 3
9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward [c]us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
Many who quote 2 Pet 3:9, misinterpret it. If you go back to 2 Pet 1:1, you can see who Peter is talking to, which is "them that have obtained like precious faith". In Peter's warning, he also includes himself by using the word "us-ward". Peter is warning them that when they commit a sin they should repent of that sin, so that they would not "perish" ( Greek meaning = lose) their fellowship with God.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
Just because we are lacking in a knowledge of the scriptures does not mean that we have not been born again.
Its not about that at all (being a scriptural expert), but rather a heart condition. The law is written on the hearts of mankind. Those who are Christs, Awake to Righteousnees and Sin Not.