Babes in christ forum for new believers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
We are getting a lot of questions about salvation in the Bible discussion forum. It just seems like the basics are being repeated over and over.

I propose a separate section one with milk for babes and one with meat for mature believers.

It could be called 'what must I do to be saved' or 'babes in christ' or 'new believers' or 'the nursery' or 'milk' for those starting out on their faith journey

And for older or elder believers...a deeper fellowship or more indepth bible discussion for the rest. Could be called 'meat' or something along those lines of having more to chew on.

Yea or nay?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Been suggested before.
The reason you're seeing repeat topics is because whenever someone smacks the bee's nest (BDF) with a questionable viewpoint, or controversial topic, everyone feels the need to make their own thread about it. I've seen the same behavior on numerous other topics like Pre/Mid/Post/No Trib, OSAS or not, Creation, etc etc etc

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Oh ok.
I dont really examine them I skip over them. Maybe should just place an ignore on whoever starts them.

G

Godsgirl83

Oh ok.
I dont really examine them I skip over them. Maybe should just place an ignore on whoever starts them.
my understanding of "ignore" is that if you do that to someone you will miss ALL they say EVERYWHERE else.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I am glad scrolling on is always an option and not hard to do. I grow weary of the same topics, over and over, but then I find that after some time, I'll go back and visit them and stay awhile.

I am thankful, though, for users that are creative and come up with different ideas. It is fun to sometimes pow wow deeply, and it also to just fellowship, keeping it light and fun. I need that, because I have a tendency hangout in the deep end too much.

Humans have always been an interesting research project to me, not in a bad way, just that God created us fascinating and dynamic. It is cool that we were made in His image.

Anyway, so yeah, it is very interesting to delve into the minds of others. It is like people watching on a deeper level, not to mention it broadens our potential greatly with regards to widening our own growth and care, listening and caring about others.

But...I still like just laughing with peeps too.

7seasrekeyed

interesting request

a thread was started about all the salvation topics yesterday morning

I'm guessing that is where you had your first thought about this :unsure:

several unsaved people have started threads about salvation

we can always witness to them rather then tuck them away somewhere (y)

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Oh ok.
Well that's going to be a Lot of people then, since it's a common practice by many there.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Can we do a mark as read thing where if we want to skip over a thread it will be hidden or something.
For example if anyone keeps bringing up works salvation or OSAS or tongues I can just somehow delete that topic thread so I dont even see it.

I dont mind scrolling to next page, but it might work better than ignoring individual posters?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Can we do a mark as read thing where if we want to skip over a thread it will be hidden or something.
For example if anyone keeps bringing up works salvation or OSAS or tongues I can just somehow delete that topic thread so I dont even see it.

I dont mind scrolling to next page, but it might work better than ignoring individual posters?
Nope. The only way to not see a thread is to put the thread creator on ignore.
Marking a thread as read doesn't make it disappear, anyways. There is a mark as read option, but soon as a new post goes up, it's no longer marked.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Oh well am just ignoring a few of people, but its only really a small percentage of active posters.

Actually I will say this its better than some other christians forums Ive been in where theres been real bullies and nastiness, and some of it coming from moderators themselves, who you actually cant ignore.

I dont feel the need to report anyone unless they being really rude and obnoxious.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Oh well am just ignoring a few of people, but its only really a small percentage of active posters.

Actually I will say this its better than some other christians forums Ive been in where theres been real bullies and nastiness, and some of it coming from moderators themselves, who you actually cant ignore.

I dont feel the need to report anyone unless they being really rude and obnoxious.
Really? That's the reputation of the BDF here haha. And most mods are cool, but i have been bullied by one, in the past year.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
We are getting a lot of questions about salvation in the Bible discussion forum. It just seems like the basics are being repeated over and over.

I propose a separate section one with milk for babes and one with meat for mature believers.

It could be called 'what must I do to be saved' or 'babes in christ' or 'new believers' or 'the nursery' or 'milk' for those starting out on their faith journey

And for older or elder believers...a deeper fellowship or more indepth bible discussion for the rest. Could be called 'meat' or something along those lines of having more to chew on.

Yea or nay?
It will not work...

Who decides who is a babe and who is mature in Christ?

So the moderators will have to block people they assess as mature in Christ from entering that section if it is only for babes in Christ..

So how can babes in Christ learn anything if they are shut off from those who are mature in Christ??

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
It will not work...

Who decides who is a babe and who is mature in Christ?

So the moderators will have to block people they assess as mature in Christ from entering that section if it is only for babes in Christ..

So how can babes in Christ learn anything if they are shut off from those who are mature in Christ??
I didn't get that idea at all. What i read was having a separate section for new or non-believers to go, and a section for more in depth topics. At no point did i see any mention of anyone not being allowed in either, but simply setting a place aside so that new believers won't be caught up in the melee of meatier talks. It seems you've added in some ideas of your own, that were never mentioned originally.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I didn't get that idea at all. What i read was having a separate section for new or non-believers to go, and a section for more in depth topics. At no point did i see any mention of anyone not being allowed in either, but simply setting a place aside so that new believers won't be caught up in the melee of meatier talks. It seems you've added in some ideas of your own, that were never mentioned originally.
Well then who decides what is a meaty topic and what is a milky topic ? People can give it a ty if they like.. But i still don't think it will work..

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Well then who decides what is a meaty topic and what is a milky topic ? People can give it a ty if they like.. But i still don't think it will work..
I didn't say it would work, I said your claims were not valid. Good to see when those got shot down rather than admitting you were wrong and leaving it you instead came up with a new reason. Great job.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
It worked on some other forums dont see why it cant work here. Cos I was once a new believer so thats where I went. After I had worked or figured out my salvation it was fine I then went on to deeper discussions. Also its encouraging for new believers starting out, after all you only know what youve been given and you not given everything all at once, nor does everyone read the Bible all in one go. It takes time.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I didn't say it would work, I said your claims were not valid. Good to see when those got shot down rather than admitting you were wrong and leaving it you instead came up with a new reason. Great job.
Did i contest your point? No.. So that is an admission by default.. If i was going to argue the point i would have done so.. I did not argue that point.. Therefore i conceeded.. At any rate it is not a issue of salvational importance..

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
It worked on some other forums dont see why it cant work here. Cos I was once a new believer so thats where I went. After I had worked or figured out my salvation it was fine I then went on to deeper discussions. Also its encouraging for new believers starting out, after all you only know what youve been given and you not given everything all at once, nor does everyone read the Bible all in one go. It takes time.
My only disagreement is that the vipers den that is BDF will flood the new believers forums and cause problems there as they bring their debates into it. If it was a healthier group then I would agree with you.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
My only disagreement is that the vipers den that is BDF will flood the new believers forums and cause problems there as they bring their debates into it. If it was a healthier group then I would agree with you.
Make it so only new believers can post threads there. Somehow.

Just make it a no debate zone. I dont engage in debates on BDF anyway just stick to the threads I want to post in and ignore any that are contentious.

After all you want to be enouraging new believers not debating with them. Just remove anyone trying to start a debate. Im sure after a while they will realise they arent getting anywhere.

Jesus gives us the authority to stomp on snakes and scorpions, so I wouldnt be afraid to stomp out the problem posters. The new believers will thank you for it because its likely they are hearing conflicting and confusing things about salvation. If people are clear about it then they can know for sure they are born again and not imagining it. Or if they arent the way to get there. People need assurance.