Backsliding

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 9, 2011
Does backsliding mean that a person has to get saved again,does It mean that the Incorruptible seed can be corrupted?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Always remember how the Shepherd left the 99 in order to find dthe one that wandered off. His love is greater than our weknesses..................

Rogo

Nov 21, 2021
I believe God knows our heart and sees our weaknesses so he will always forgive us if we are truly genuine.

O

Oblio

One's spirit is born again of incorruptible seed. However, a person consists of more than spirit. There is the soul that causes one to continue to sin. Conflicting doctrine and differing levels of maturity have muddied the waters on this contentious, but important issue.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Does backsliding mean that a person has to get saved again,does It mean that the Incorruptible seed can be corrupted?
No. It means that the backslider has ceased to cooperate with the Lord Jesus lives within. No one can be unborn again. The life of Christ is indestructible (Hebrews 7:16). Since the Lord Jesus is the life of the Christian (whether they realise it or not), the Christian cannot be unborn again. However, being backslidden is a miserable existence. God won't help that one and Satan is only too willing to harass and torment him.

Why would God be so harsh? Easy. It's his incentive program to win people back to Himself. This is exactly the message of the parable of the prodigal son. The father in the story did not go to the far country. He waited for his son to wake up to himself, but when he did, the father welcomed him with open arms.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I believe God knows our heart and sees our weaknesses so he will always forgive us if we are truly genuine.
Simple to understand and well-meeded to hear in this forum. Thank you and God bless you.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
Is someone who is in a backsliding state alive and found?

Luk 15:24, For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

Luk 15:32, It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

It is often argued that a prodigal who goes out into the world is still his father's son...he never loses his position in the family.

Nevertheless, it should be clear that when the son was gone from the estate, he was suffering and hoping to eat just the husks of the corn that the swine did eat. He was dead and lost to his family. And if he would have never returned, he would have remained dead and lost.

And if he would have died out there, he would have died, dead and lost.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Does backsliding mean that a person has to get saved again,
No. However, repenting again is a different story :)

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive
us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat.

The sifting is painful if and when we are not standing firmly on the Rock of our faith.

"And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

montana123

Oct 9, 2021
I look at backsliding as a person that is living in sin after confessing Jesus and repenting of their sins knowing God hates sin and does not want us to do it and gives us the Spirit to help us to overcome sin.

Which a Spirit led life will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, and God will give them an escape from temptations.

So there is no excuse.

But all sin can be forgiven and the backslider can repent of living in sin and be led of the Spirit.

I look at these people as having not abandoned Jesus but are living like the world when they should not.

Living in sin and repenting of the sin when a person does it is not repenting for repenting means turn away from sin and not hold on to sin and then repent when you do it.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

If we sin intentionally knowing the truth that God does not want us to sin then the sacrifice of Jesus cannot wash away that sin until we repent of the sin.

If we live in sin not giving up that sin then the blood of Jesus cannot wash it away for God will not take away a sin we hold on to.

So a backslider is on dangerous ground at the time until they repent and mean it and allows the Spirit to lead them.

But some people say you cannot lose salvation so if this is true then the backslider will always repent and do right and be saved.

But there is no excuse a person can live in sin and still be saved.

God does not like the world to sin and they will be in trouble for it if they do not come to the truth but the Christian can sin and it is alright and they are not in trouble which makes no sense.

Everybody has to repent whether the world or a Christian that sins for everybody has to get rid of sin.

Isa 59:1 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:
Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

Luk 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

It appears a Christian that is backslidden is not fit for the kingdom of God but if they cannot lose salvation then they will always get back in the truth led by the Spirit.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Peter was the ultimate "backslider." Galatians chapter two tells us that he forgot that Christ made us all "one." Pete forgot that there was neither Greek nor Jew.

Does it get any worse than that? Yet, we are told that Peter was "filled with the Spirit."

Acts 4:8 NKJV - "Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, "Rulers of the people and elders of Israel . . ."

It seems that we must still contend with our human minds. Thank God for Christ, that when we "forget," Christ has made us whole and complete, and this is apart from ourselves.

Colossians 2:9-10 NKJV - "For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power."

Dec 9, 2011
One's spirit is born again of incorruptible seed. However, a person consists of more than spirit. There is the soul that causes one to continue to sin. Conflicting doctrine and differing levels of maturity have muddied the waters on this contentious, but important issue.
So would you agree that the Incorruptible seed can be corrupted?

Dec 9, 2011
Is someone who is in a backsliding state alive and found?

Luk 15:24, For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

Luk 15:32, It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

It is often argued that a prodigal who goes out into the world is still his father's son...he never loses his position in the family.

Nevertheless, it should be clear that when the son was gone from the estate, he was suffering and hoping to eat just the husks of the corn that the swine did eat. He was dead and lost to his family. And if he would have never returned, he would have remained dead and lost.

And if he would have died out there, he would have died, dead and lost.
So then would you say that the Incorruptible seed cab be corrupted?

Dec 9, 2011
The bible says that they left to show that they were never of us and then the prodigal son left but he came back.:)How would this make sense how would these harmonize?

Dec 9, 2011
No. It is also a contradiction of terms.
The prodigal son left and later came back and some would say that If you leave and don't come back then you are lost and have lost your salvation which would mean that the word Incorruptible In the bible should not mean Incorruptible Is that what you mean?

O

Oblio

My spirit was born-again of incorruptible seed. Since I still can sin, sin is obviously coming from another source.

Dec 9, 2011
I look at backsliding as a person that is living in sin after confessing Jesus and repenting of their sins knowing God hates sin and does not want us to do it and gives us the Spirit to help us to overcome sin.

Which a Spirit led life will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, and God will give them an escape from temptations.

So there is no excuse.

But all sin can be forgiven and the backslider can repent of living in sin and be led of the Spirit.

I look at these people as having not abandoned Jesus but are living like the world when they should not.

Living in sin and repenting of the sin when a person does it is not repenting for repenting means turn away from sin and not hold on to sin and then repent when you do it.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

If we sin intentionally knowing the truth that God does not want us to sin then the sacrifice of Jesus cannot wash away that sin until we repent of the sin.

If we live in sin not giving up that sin then the blood of Jesus cannot wash it away for God will not take away a sin we hold on to.

So a backslider is on dangerous ground at the time until they repent and mean it and allows the Spirit to lead them.

But some people say you cannot lose salvation so if this is true then the backslider will always repent and do right and be saved.

But there is no excuse a person can live in sin and still be saved.

God does not like the world to sin and they will be in trouble for it if they do not come to the truth but the Christian can sin and it is alright and they are not in trouble which makes no sense.

Everybody has to repent whether the world or a Christian that sins for everybody has to get rid of sin.

Isa 59:1 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:
Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

Luk 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

It appears a Christian that is backslidden is not fit for the kingdom of God but if they cannot lose salvation then they will always get back in the truth led by the Spirit.
Could It mean that the person will die because of not renewing their mind yet the soul shall be saved?:)

Dec 9, 2011
My spirit was born-again of incorruptible seed. Since I still can sin, sin is obviously coming from another source.
So are you saying that the Spirit Is Incorruptible but the flesh Is not?:)

Gardenias

Oct 27, 2020
U.S.A.
I will speak from my own experience.

After my Mom died,I couldn't handle loosing my support system so I became angry at God for taking her,which was her desire. There was much more trouble in my life at the time and it seemed as if God didn't care.

I began to shun the things I knew were pleasing to God,prayer,study,fellowship with him and others.
It became easier and easier to rebell,even though I was filled with the Spirit.

I eased my way into outright sinning. Alcohol,drugs,sex,ignoring the Spirit's woeing. I rejected it all as I rejected God.

Just like the Father didn't know where the prodical was at and go after him,I wanted God to leave me alone.

I do believe that a person can sin,turn their back on God,die in that condition and pay the ultimate judgment. FOREVER SEPERATED FROM GOD!

I was in this condition for about 15 yrs.
Same as the prodical,I woke up and realized my condition was dire. God comes to those who are of a broken spirit and a contrite heart.

When the Spirit began to bring conviction I didn't resist,but REPENTED AND DID MY FIRST WORKES OVER,RETURNING TO MY FIRST LOVE!

The devil does wish to steal from God and it is souls he wants.

I thank God for the enormous love and forgiveness he possess.

I think we divide the word wrongly in ourselves by saying "well they were not of us". I cannot speak to the incorruptible and corrupttible seed,but I tell you this at this time of backsliding,I was not of God nor for God.
Before however,I truly was a born again believer and the Spirit was working abundantly in my life!

This is a dangerous place to be,for once Satan has you away from God the corruption is as deep as he can get you to go.

Praise be to Jesus for paying the price for all sins when we confess and repent and turn away from them!