Bad Relationship Advice

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MissCris

Today I told my mom to whack my step-dad upside the head with a wooden spoon.

The circumstances surrounding this advice are much less important than the fact that it is, truly, bad advice. For one thing, nobody should be whacking anyone upside the head with any kind of spoon. That's just annoying. Also, not a very good way to resolve an issue in a marriage (even if the issue may or may not be that your spouse is singing a love song...about someone else...while you're trying to talk on the phone).

I've been on the receiving end of a fair amount of bad advice, as well-

"Just tell his parents how he's acting"
"Sell his X-box if he won't ____"
"You have to play hard to get"

So! Of course I'm wondering, what's some terrible relationship advice that's been thrown your way?

And- did you take that advice? If so, how'd it turn out?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
"You need to find a good woman, settle down and raise a family."

Haven't followed it yet. Some advice can be good or bad, depending on the situation. For me, that was bad advice.

Also the many times when somebody tried to tell me that (insert young lady's name) would make a good wife. I kept my mouth shut but I knew more than the advisor about some young ladies and I was keeping my distance. And I was right every time about certain young lad... er, well, not ladies. I was right every time about certain young women.

And there were the embarrassing times when some well-meaning matchmaker would try to introduce me to a girl much younger than I. I used to look a lot younger than I was, so there were some awkward moments where I would politely tell them my age and they would realize I was not the guy for the young lady they wanted to get married off. That ended when my hair started turning grey. I never thought I would be so happy for my hair to start going grey. It didn't happen a moment too soon.

May 17, 2018
"Go out there and open yourself up to get more friends"
Like duh i had friends few and far...its true what they say your circle become smaller and smaller as you get older and wiser. I was always seeking but now i realized what is the point whoever you meet during your life for that moment is for a reason. Once the relationship falls apart you end up not even trusting people as much because of the betrayal. One thing about me if i get a negative vibe from you or if i see you acting shady im done. A true friend will always be there for you no matter what. sometimes its better to have no friends at the end of the day sometimes the best friend is yourself , GOD and some of your family members tbh. lol you can't even trust yourself sometimes.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
"Make sure to list all their faults on your Facebook status.... "

That wasn't give to me ...but I see other people do it all the time.

T

Tinuviel

Responding to me saying "I've never been on a date"

"Of course not. You're confident and that's attractive to a lot of guys, but you need to loosen up a bit if you want to get dates. Have fun. Party. Get drunk. Find yourself a good contraceptive and see what kind of boys you like. You can't just dismiss someone because you don't like what they believe. Loosen up and have a good time. Find other common ground. You're not going to hold a guy if they think you're a straight-laced prude."

Needless to say...NO. I did not take their advice, and don't plan to. Ever.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
"You need to find a good woman, settle down and raise a family."

Haven't followed it yet. Some advice can be good or bad, depending on the situation. For me, that was bad advice.

Also the many times when somebody tried to tell me that (insert young lady's name) would make a good wife. I kept my mouth shut but I knew more than the advisor about some young ladies and I was keeping my distance. And I was right every time about certain young lad... er, well, not ladies. I was right every time about certain young women.

And there were the embarrassing times when some well-meaning matchmaker would try to introduce me to a girl much younger than I. I used to look a lot younger than I was, so there were some awkward moments where I would politely tell them my age and they would realize I was not the guy for the young lady they wanted to get married off. That ended when my hair started turning grey. I never thought I would be so happy for my hair to start going grey. It didn't happen a moment too soon.
What happened Lynx? You notice the young ladies were wearing white after labor day?

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016

This must be why no one talks to me anymone.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Responding to me saying "I've never been on a date"

"Of course not. You're confident and that's attractive to a lot of guys, but you need to loosen up a bit if you want to get dates. Have fun. Party. Get drunk. Find yourself a good contraceptive and see what kind of boys you like. You can't just dismiss someone because you don't like what they believe. Loosen up and have a good time. Find other common ground. You're not going to hold a guy if they think you're a straight-laced prude."

Needless to say...NO. I did not take their advice, and don't plan to. Ever.
Straight - laced prudes can be hot.

Aug 2, 2009
Answer her when she asks, "Does this make me look fat?"

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015

Some of my friends do this with their ex's or current SO's a lot. Drives me crazy.

dwayneford

Jun 1, 2018
I was always told to look through their phone if i was suspicious *shrug*

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
In the context of an important relationship...

Bad advice? "Just forgive and forget".
Worse advice? "Just turn the other cheek".
Worst advice? "Just get over it."

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
Bad advice "make him read your mind ... he should already know what you're thinking "

M

MissCris

"You have to make sure the other person is more in love with you than you are with them." -my aunt, who has been married five times.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
i was never given this advice, but i'm sure we've all heard it:

if it's true love, then everything will be easy.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
"Girls are all the same; it doesn't matter which one you marry. You're not getting any younger bro... just pick one and get it over with."

:)
That was actual advice.

Just pick one and get it over with.
That's pretty much the same way I pick a new rubbish bin.
It IS efficient... but it kind of lacks romance.

-------