Baptism and holy spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Nah, I don't have to read scriptures.
I do.

I have the gift of knowledge
What's that? I'm familiar with the manifestation of word of knowledge, but I don't know what the gift of knowledge is.

so the Holy Spirit just tells me everything I need to know. Sometimes it has to be interpreted by somebody with that specific gift but most of the time I'm good to go.
So God tells you everything you need to know, but you don't understand Him and you need someone to explain it to you? Where does the Bible talk about the gift of interpretation of knowledge?

You do believe in the gift of knowledge, don't you ? ;)
Again, I don't know what that is.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Persecution of the apostles was not something new:

John 16:1 “I have said these things to you so that you will not fall away. 2 They will expel you from the synagogue,[a] but an hour is coming that everyone who kills you will think they are offering service to God. 3 And they will do these things because they do not know the Father or me. 4 But I have said these things to you so that when their hour comes, you may remember that I told you about them.

Luke 11:48 So you are witnesses who consent to the deeds of your fathers: They killed the prophets, and you build their tombs. 49 Because of this, the Wisdom of God said, ‘I will send them prophets and apostles; some of them they will kill and others they will persecute.’

Jeremiah 2:30
"I have struck your sons in vain; they accepted no discipline. Your own sword has devoured your prophets like a voracious lion.

1 Thess 2:14 For you, brothers, became imitators of the churches of God in Judea that are in Christ Jesus. You suffered from your own countrymen the very things they suffered from the Jews, 15who killedboth the Lord Jesus and their own prophets, anddrove us out as well. They are displeasing to God and hostile to all men,
What is your point? Agabus gave a specific prophesy to Paul. That prophesy was not an interpretation of an OT prophesy.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
What does the word edify mean here when God uses it ?
The word edify means to build up.

If you speak in tongues which you have said numerous times, then who is giving you these words to speak ? I've yet to see an answer from nobody on this also.
The same place they came from for the apostles.

Acts 2:
4) And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

What does prophesy mean to you shrume ?
Biblically, the manifestation of prophesy is to speak words of edification, exhortation, and comfort.

1 Cor 14:
3) But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
What is your point? Agabus gave a specific prophesy to Paul. That prophesy was not an interpretation of an OT prophesy.
There's no such thing as a prophecy specific to Paul:
2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17so that the servant of Goda may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Even things that were specific to Jesus that didn't pertain the kingdom of God did not make it into the scriptures yet you think Paul's personal things 'made it into the scriptures'. Every prophesy must be about/affects the kingdom of God.
What Agabus told Paul is the same as what Jesus told Peter:

John 21:18 Truly, truly, I tell you, when you were young, you dressed yourself and walked where you wanted; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. And after He had said this,He told him, “Follow Me.”

Yes it was about Peter but it has a bigger implication on the kingdom of God.
Yet it is Jesus who said:

Luke 16:17 The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the gospel of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it. 17But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for a single stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.

Matt 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law untileverything is accomplished.

Meaning, after the law and the prophets is fulfillment till the end. The end shall not come until all prophesy is fulfilled- but get this clear, the prophesy was until John. There's no such thing as personal prophesy for Paul or Peter, haven't i told you that Paul (apostles) and Peter (disciples) were the two lam stands that stand in front of the lord of this Earth?

Jesus between the age of 12 and 30 must have gone through some rough times a few times- a man abusing Him or such kind of things, but only those things that were prophesied about Him made it into the scripture and Himself said He came to fulfill the law and the prophets.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
There's no such thing as a prophecy specific to Paul:
Acts 21:
10) And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.
11) And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

That prophecy was specifically to Paul, about Paul.

If you cannot see that, there is no point in continuing.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Acts 21:
10) And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.
11) And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

Indeed, there's no point.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Acts 21:

I can see the context of this being Paul and that is what happen to him .

carl11

Oct 20, 2017
The word edify means to build up.

The same place they came from for the apostles.

Acts 2:
4) And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Biblically, the manifestation of prophesy is to speak words of edification, exhortation, and comfort.

1 Cor 14:
3) But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
The word edify is this setting means to build as in build a building and so what building or we helping God build ? That is why the tongues here in 1Cor. 14 would have to deal with the gospel.

Glad you finally understand that it is God who is giving you these words to speak as you say and with that in mind then we should go out and proclaim to all what God Almighty has spoken to you and put a admen in the Bible because God still has further information or revelation to give us. But you and I know that cant be because of what the book of revelation has to say.

Again prophesy has to deal with the word of God and look again we have the same word edify.

yellowcanary

May 22, 2018
I'm familiar with the manifestation of word of knowledge, but I don't know what the gift of knowledge is.

So God tells you everything you need to know, but you don't understand Him and you need someone to explain it to you? Where does the Bible talk about the gift of interpretation of knowledge?
Are you putting God in a box ? What would the difference be between the manifestation of a word of knowledge and one operating in knowledge given to them ? Do you think it's simply telling somebody that they're tooth is going to bother them if they don't go to a dentist soon ? And why would you question the manner in which God chooses to operate in distributing gifts ? Is it acceptable for believers to speak in heavenly languages that nobody understands but not acceptable if God does it ? Would God give us a stone if we asked for a fish ? Where does the bible say that God can't/won't operate in this manner ?

yellowcanary

May 22, 2018
1 Corinthians 12:8 ... "To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit". I could cite this verse in an attempt to substantiate my claim. In other words, any of us can try to make the scriptures say pretty much anything to align with what we want or choose to believe. But such attempts change nothing in regards to the truth of scripture. And that truth has the apostle Paul chastising the church at Corinth for their childish and careless manner in operating in the gift of tongues (languages) during that era. Hardly the example any should choose to follow. Not once does scripture substantiate that tongues were/are a heavenly or an angelic language. The entire premise of the tongues practiced today base their foundation on Paul's hyperbole example given in 1 Corinthians 13. If this is not true, can it be claimed also that any of us can fathom all mysteries and knowledge ? No, it cannot. There will always remain a division amongst believers in regards to the authenticity of the tongues practiced today. This was never the case during the apostolic era. Something to ponder perhaps ?

CS1

May 23, 2012
Well of course you are going to see it that way. You predetermined that you would see it that way.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I will take that AS you have no explanation for the context and application provided. you have this suble insult in the underlay of your comment. Yet you offer no Biblical contrast to what is given in the all three Chapters . it would be incorrect to have a "predetermined " out come to your question however, the best gifts can be subject to the one reading and what the Holy Spirit has determined to be used at the time HE so chooses. The best Gift? Is the one that will edify, comfort , exhort, Build up , and the Holy Spirit has given at the time. The text "Best" means most effective . What Gift is most effective ? the one the Holy Spirit is using the believer in at the time as HE Ordained to be. And those who see it can Judge if it is of God that is what the chapters of 1cor 12, 13, and 14 says

12:

desire the gifts and they are the "Gifts of the Holy Spirit
13:
using the gift not in love produce nothing

14: How to use the gifts and correct misuse.

you have an issue with what is predetermined then you take it up with the Author of 1cor 12, 13, and 14.