Baptist and Baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Luke 23:42-43 (KJV)
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

When was he Baptised in the holy spirit so he could enter paradise.

When Christ said: Today shalt thou be with me in paradise

Christ is God the Son, and nothing is impossible for God

What he wasn't was water baptized

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
In the Bible,, God is shown as God not G-d... There is no G-d found written in the Holy Bible..
A high respectful reference to G-d is a old long standing Hebrew contribution to protection of His most high name....in case of miss use. Google... why o is left out of G-d.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
having attended any church or a Baptist church does mean one is saved. Salvation is a free gift. Baptist position is rooted in the Bible. 1960 is late. Just curious, how old are you?
One is not saved until G-d says we are saved. While on this earth we are ..born again...awaiting death and Judgement by our Lord....prayerfully and faithfully.......saved.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
When Christ said: Today shalt thou be with me in paradise

Christ is God the Son, and nothing is impossible for God

What he wasn't was water baptized
that is you adding to the word, it doesn't say the thief was filled with the Holy Spirit.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
A wee bit too Jewish Legalism for me........leaving out the "o" in God...........

If y'all feel that strongly about it.........call Him what He called Himself "I Am." Oh, no, wait, Christ also called Himself "I Am." Guess that would mess y'all up a wee bit?

:)

Abba, Father, God, Jesus Christ, I Am, Jehovah Jireh.................. perfectly acceptable names to call God as far as I am concerned. He is ONLY CONCERNED that we do so with love for Him in my opinion.............

But, hey, if that makes folks happy (leaving the "o" out) then that's cool with me. However, for someone to pretend that they are more respectful towards The Lord God to leave out the "o" is more than a wee bit being full of themselves in my opinion.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Water baptism has nothing to do with salvation. Any who believe it does are the ones changing Gods Word. Water baptism is about obedience to Christ. He said for us to be water baptized. For many, it is the 1st act of obedience. Water baptism serves a specific purpose:

To serve as a witness to both the world and the Church that a person has become a believer in and follower of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. The "one Baptism" spoke of in Scripture is the baptism of the Holy Spirit thru the applying of the the precious blood of Christ that cleanses us of our sins, and allows us to become worthy to be called sons of God, and worthy to become heirs of the Promise.

"Repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sin...."

Why is one being baptized?

To have their sins forgiven, or because their sins WERE forgiven upon repenting and accepting Christ as Lord and Savior? Pretty simple, but so very many get it wrong........... Hmm

Try this:

"Repent and jump for joy for the forgiveness of sin,..."

Is one jumping for joy to have their sins forgiven, or because their sins were forgiven?

Know who taught that water baptism did not save? A well known Southern Baptist Preacher, Teacher and Author:
Adrian Rogers.

(just saying)
Preacher Rogers is Wrong.
See;.....

Matt 3;15, 28: 18-20

John 3:3

Mark 16;16

I Peter 3;21

John 3:5

Gal 3;26-27

Mark 16;16

Acts 2: 38-40, 9; 14, 15, 18, 22:16, 8:12, 19:5

Rom. 6;3

etc.

He, or anyone else, cannot change scriptures.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
that is you adding to the word, it doesn't say the thief was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Not adding anything.................he was saved by Christ Himself, and, as such, he went to paradise with Christ that very day upon his death. When his natural/corrupt body passed away, he put on the perfect/Celestial body of the children of God...........

As far as the exact words being there, then I challenge you to prove the Disciples were water baptized. Scripture does not ever say they were.

Legalism can be taken way too far.........but, shoot, go ahead if that's what does it for you

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
How do you conclude the thief was not baptized?
He could have been and back slid. In any event
G-d can give special dispensation to anyone at any time any where.
The thief has ...0... to do with the Bible requiring baptism.

A feeble attempt at justification against specific Bible language requiring baptism....I submit.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
The ONLY THING THAT CAN SAVE US IS:

The Precious Blood of Jesus

1. Leviticus 17:11, 14 (cp. Deuteronomy 12:23) “For the life of the flesh
is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an
atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement
for the soul…. For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life
thereof …”

2. Hebrews 9:22 “Without the shedding of blood, there is
no remission of sins.”

3. 1 John 1:7″… the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth
us from all sin.”

5. Exodus 12:13 “… and when I see the blood, I will pass over
you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you,
when I smite the land of Egypt.”

6. Revelation 12:11 “And they overcame him (Satan) by the blood
of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony …”

7. Hebrews 9:14 “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who
through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God,
purge your conscience …

8. Hebrews 10:19, 22 “Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter
into the holiest by the blood of Jesus … Let us draw near with a true
heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an
evil conscience …”

9. Hebrews 13:12 “Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify
the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.”

10. Romans 3:24-25 “Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;”

11. Romans 5:9 “Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

A feeble attempt at justification against specific Bible language requiring baptism....I submit.
Talk about "adding to Scripture"

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
A wee bit too Jewish Legalism for me........leaving out the "o" in God...........

If y'all feel that strongly about it.........call Him what He called Himself "I Am." Oh, no, wait, Christ also called Himself "I Am." Guess that would mess y'all up a wee bit?

:)

Abba, Father, God, Jesus Christ, I Am, Jehovah Jireh.................. perfectly acceptable names to call God as far as I am concerned. He is ONLY CONCERNED that we do so with love for Him in my opinion.............

But, hey, if that makes folks happy (leaving the "o" out) then that's cool with me. However, for someone to pretend that they are more respectful towards The Lord God to leave out the "o" is more than a wee bit being full of themselves in my opinion.
Geesscch! Not Jewish...you are apparently unaware of the difference?

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain

oh I actually agree baptism is required. s

o you judge me too harshly , however I always look for all answers and do not shut out things.

we need to look at what if someone gives their heart to Jesus and beleives , but dies before they get water baptised. There will be many exceptions where people are not water baptised and die, and also not holy spirit baptised and die.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Water baptism has nothing to do with salvation. Any who believe it does are the ones changing Gods Word. Water baptism is about obedience to Christ. He said for us to be water baptized. For many, it is the 1st act of obedience. Water baptism serves a specific purpose:

To serve as a witness to both the world and the Church that a person has become a believer in and follower of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. The "one Baptism" spoke of in Scripture is the baptism of the Holy Spirit thru the applying of the the precious blood of Christ that cleanses us of our sins, and allows us to become worthy to be called sons of God, and worthy to become heirs of the Promise.

"Repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sin...."

Why is one being baptized?

To have their sins forgiven, or because their sins WERE forgiven upon repenting and accepting Christ as Lord and Savior? Pretty simple, but so very many get it wrong........... Hmm

Try this:

"Repent and jump for joy for the forgiveness of sin,..."

Is one jumping for joy to have their sins forgiven, or because their sins were forgiven?

Know who taught that water baptism did not save? A well known Southern Baptist Preacher, Teacher and Author:
Adrian Rogers.

(just saying)

Wrong ....explain scriptures listed...?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
You added that the thief may have been baptized, believed, been a disciple of Christ, and then backslid.......show me anything in Scripture that says this

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
oh I actually agree baptism is required. s

o you judge me too harshly , however I always look for all answers and do not shut out things.

we need to look at what if someone gives their heart to Jesus and beleives , but dies before they get water baptised. There will be many exceptions where people are not water baptised and die, and also not holy spirit baptised and die.
IF someone repents, confesses their sins, and asks Christ to become Lord of their lives, they ARE baptized with the precious blood of Christ which cleanses them of their sins BY the Holy Spirit.

Y'all can deny all y'all want........one day y'all will face Him and then there won't be anything but the gnashing of teeth and crying for the mountain to fall upon you and cover you

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
As a child I attended a ......southern baptist member church ......and baptism was a routine part of the service. I quit that church when I went into the army in 1958.

I have recently been made aware that the Baptist denomination has re-interpreted the Bible to say that baptism is not necessary for salvation, even though scripture says ...very clearly...it is required. In light of research this seems to have occurred since 1960....(?).
Does anyone know of baptist association teachings, publications,writings,etc prior to 1960 which reflected that position.
I can find none.
Baptists have believed in salvation by grace alone, and baptism only of adult believers who have already made a saving profession of faith ever since the denomination first originated in the 1600's.

AFAIK they have never believed in baptismal regeneration. they have always believed in immersive baptism as one of two ordinances ((technically not sacraments - tho that word may be used, because, people are in general stupid and often don't know what they say)), along with the Lord's supper, always rejected pedobaptism, and always believed that both ordinances were not in and of themselves salvific but were meant to be taken part in by those who are regenerate -- regenerate by faith, not works.

i dunno what weird pseudo-baptist church you went to in the 1950's or whether, being a youth then, you were either misinformed or misunderstood the message. H20 does not save. rites do not save. Jesus saves, and He does so according to belief.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
You added that the thief may have been baptized, believed, been a disciple of Christ, and then backslid.......show me anything in Scripture that says this

What does...may...mean?....an opinion. ....Nothing to do with adding to G-d's word.
Pass me if you wish to argue, please.