Be honest with me, am I going to hell forever or not?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 1, 2022
You should be happy Jesus worded it two ways which clarifies what the passage means,

"but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. "
What?

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Wait, isn't that a contradiction? Jesus said blasphemy against the Holy Spirit won't be forgiven at all so how can someone go to heaven after doing that?
Haven't you heard the Good News? Scripture tells us that aside from our own ability to "choose," God Himself will decide upon whom He shall extend His Grace and Mercy. Whether or not you remain under the Lord's Curse, this is not up to you, but up to the Lord and conducted through Christ.

Exodus 33:19 NKJV - "Then He said, "I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion."

Do your best to flush out Fear, Shame and Guilt. These are emotions that you won't take with you into Heaven because they will be burnt in the Refiners Fire. Fear, Shame, and Guilt are of evil and not of God. These are self-destructive emotions, so again, do your best to cut them out of your life as much as possible. You'll sure feel a whole lot better about yourself in learning to do so.

JTB

Aug 31, 2021
Daniel, you've had several good people here listen and give council to you, and not a one has agreed that what you did was unforgiveable. Yet you continue to strain against the gnat and ignore their counsel and ask a question that has been repeatedly answered.

If I may, perhaps a word of wisdom from the Lord:

"My son, I have forgiven you. But you will never receive the peace of that forgiveness in your heart until you learn to forgive yourself".

Peace, and forgiveness, is yours as soon as you yield to receive it.

Bless you my friend.

presidente

May 29, 2013
@Daniel1910 If I were you, I'd be careful not to let demons put depressing, hopeless ideas into my mind. Does it hurt to think the thoughts, but seem rather addictive to do so?

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
Actually, there's many Christians who do that today out of ignorance but they might be guilty. However, I knew about Jesus Christ and at age 14, I foolishly believed what the Pharisees said when they called the Holy Spirit a demon. I wish that I never heard about this sin but I messed up more than 99.9% of the world's population. I don't know why I couldn't have been a normal kid and a normal person. What you described can actually happen today as well and it happens many many times.
Sorry but I think you misunderstand me.

This was not a sudden change of character from immoral to moral, nor a misunderstanding of scripture, or a possible healing that could be attributed to anyone other than God. This was not one or two signs like Marys face in a bit of toast or weeping statues seen by a select few.... This was not something the blasphemers could have misunderstood, rather they KNEW it was God, for according to their own teachings, only God could do the works Christ did.

The Jews seek a sign the scriptures say, and He gave them what the scriptures told them God would give them.

These days there are so many false teachers and fake healers and name it and claim it fraudsters that anyone could be forgiven for not knowing if a healing is real or fake etc. We see a lot on tv, in showmanship style and if there are real miracles they are lost amidst the performances that rake in the cash from desperate souls.

The miracles Jesus did, MANY MANY MORE than we read about by all accounts too, were such things that a whole community witnessed and testified to one another that it was real. People they all knew, blind from birth being made to see. People they knew paralysed for years suddenly walking about giving glory to God.

This power was indisputably God. What we Christians experience of the acts and power of God, cannot be compared with the which He himself displayed as evidence and testimony HE was the walking, living, flesh covered, breathing Messiah on earth. What we can testify to en mass today is generally not what the Jews experienced when Christ walked the earth. At best we can thank God for a few healings are and there, and share our testimony of changed lives. Glorious, but no comparison to the undeniable evidence the Jews were facing at that time.

The pharasees KNEW it was God, there was no mistake, no confusion, no delusion, but declared it was Satan because they did not want people to believe in Jesus. This is what I am saying is SO RARE, only Jesus did the amount, type and concentration of miracles He did whilst on earth. He had to fulfil the prophecies to the Jews.

This is why I doubt many Christians today can commit the same offence.

Sep 1, 2022

This was not a sudden change of character from immoral to moral, nor a misunderstanding of scripture, or a possible healing that could be attributed to anyone other than God. This was not one or two signs like Marys face in a bit of toast or weeping statues seen by a select few.... This was not something the blasphemers could have misunderstood, rather they KNEW it was God, for according to their own teachings, only God could do the works Christ did.

The Jews seek a sign the scriptures say, and He gave them what the scriptures told them God would give them.

These days there are so many false teachers and fake healers and name it and claim it fraudsters that anyone could be forgiven for not knowing if a healing is real or fake etc. We see a lot on tv, in showmanship style and if there are real miracles they are lost amidst the performances that rake in the cash from desperate souls.

The miracles Jesus did, MANY MANY MORE than we read about by all accounts too, were such things that a whole community witnessed and testified to one another that it was real. People they all knew, blind from birth being made to see. People they knew paralysed for years suddenly walking about giving glory to God.

This power was indisputably God. What we Christians experience of the acts and power of God, cannot be compared with the which He himself displayed as evidence and testimony HE was the walking, living, flesh covered, breathing Messiah on earth. What we can testify to en mass today is generally not what the Jews experienced when Christ walked the earth. At best we can thank God for a few healings are and there, and share our testimony of changed lives. Glorious, but no comparison to the undeniable evidence the Jews were facing at that time.

The pharasees KNEW it was God, there was no mistake, no confusion, no delusion, but declared it was Satan because they did not want people to believe in Jesus. This is what I am saying is SO RARE, only Jesus did the amount, type and concentration of miracles He did whilst on earth. He had to fulfil the prophecies to the Jews.

Nah it's possible to commit today

presidente

May 29, 2013

That doesn't really makes sense. People still have mouths and the ability to speak, and they could say something really bad about the Holy Spirit if they wanted to.

But just thinking a thought and blaspheming aren't the same thing.

presidente

May 29, 2013
If a bad thought enters your mind, you can choose whether to act on it or not.

If you think, "He shouldn't ignore me like that," you have a choice whether to get angry, to call the guy names, etc. If you see a woman pass by and think, "She's really beautiful" you choose whether to look at her with lust or not. You can avert your eyes.

If you think a wicked blasphemous thought, you choose whether to speak those words out loud or not.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
That doesn't really makes sense. People still have mouths and the ability to speak, and they could say something really bad about the Holy Spirit if they wanted to.

But just thinking a thought and blaspheming aren't the same thing.
The context of the main verse I as talking about in my previous reply would make sense of it. The context of WHEN Jesus says this is paramount in understanding the precise meaning of the verse. It is very specific.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
I am not saying its impossible, but we are in very different circumstances. We live in an age where we rarely "see" the Holy Spirit by His power working miracles, and can truly KNOW it is Him. I have answered as best I can and leave you to the others, who no doubt have a lot more skill in forming responses than I do. God bless.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
If a bad thought enters your mind, you can choose whether to act on it or not.

If you think, "He shouldn't ignore me like that," you have a choice whether to get angry, to call the guy names, etc. If you see a woman pass by and think, "She's really beautiful" you choose whether to look at her with lust or not. You can avert your eyes.

If you think a wicked blasphemous thought, you choose whether to speak those words out loud or not.
If you don't KNOW it is the Holy Spirit to start with, and perhaps genuinely believe it not to be, and declare it isn't, be that by a misunderstanding, by accident or even rebelliously on purpose, there is no forgiveness for you. That makes zero sense.
You need to see the exact context to understand the verse. The context was that in the face of indisputable proof of the power of the Holy Spirit at work, they labelled it the work of satan. They knew full well what and who they were blaspheming, they were not mistaken or deceived.

We can deliberately say something and not fully or even remotely have a clue what it means. What if I blaspheme by accident in another language, thinking I am praising God, because some smart Alec gave me the wrong phrase for a laugh?
Am I on my way to hell?

In which case the literal words mean nothing. It is the meaning the speaker intends to put across that counts. A child can repeat something it has no comprehension of, other then perhaps it is naughty to say it... but it doesn't mean the definition of the words it is speaking. If you do not know you are literally blaspheming the Holy Spirit, then how is it you are as guilty as someone who knows full well.
Like Satan. He has SEEN the power of Almighty God, on His throne in all His glory. He has no hope or chance of repentance. We who have tasted and then rejected Christ... are we not held much more culpable than one who rejects in total ignorance? In blindness?
Anyway, I have said enough. I know that you are fixed on this matter, so I best leave this to-ing and fr0-ing at that. God Bless you.

presidente

May 29, 2013
The context of the main verse I as talking about in my previous reply would make sense of it. The context of WHEN Jesus says this is paramount in understanding the precise meaning of the verse. It is very specific.
The actual _words_ of Jesus are important, when He said "but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come", He said, "whosoever."

Jesus does NOT say in the passage, "The man who lives in this time period who sees all the miracles that I do and really, really knows it is true, but rejects it anyway.... and then speaks a word against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him."

He says 'whosoever.'

So we get this unsettling passage, words which Jesus apparently meant to be taken seriously. And then we have a lot of Christian commentators who find it unsettling. It doesn't fit their soteriology, so they figure out ways to interpret it away, so it feels less unsettling, so that people do not take it too serious.y

presidente

May 29, 2013
If you don't KNOW it is the Holy Spirit to start with, and perhaps genuinely believe it not to be, and declare it isn't, be that by a misunderstanding, by accident or even rebelliously on purpose, there is no forgiveness for you. That makes zero sense.
That makes sense. Your interpretation below doesn't make sense.

You need to see the exact context to understand the verse. The context was that in the face of indisputable proof of the power of the Holy Spirit at work, they labelled it the work of satan.
If you read the Gospels, you will see that there were religious believers who did NOT believe in Jesus. If they knew Jesus was operating by the Spirit of God, then they would have believed that Jesus was operating by the Holy Spirit. But they were in unbelief.

This 'exact context' argument can be quite convenient. The 'exact context' of the original delivery of 'Thou shalt not steal' was on mount Sinai, and it was repeated to people living around the Mediterranean. And these Biblical commands were given or repeated between about 1600 BC and 100 AD. So if someone steals in England or the US in modern times, does that make it okay? They aren't in the exact context. We could say that about commands about murder and adultery, too.

The question is whether Jesus' words are actually true or not is it true that 'whosoever' speaks such words will not be forgiven, or not? 'Whosoever' includes those who do so in ignorance, those who do so in full knowledge, those who do so in unbelief, Jews, Gentiles, etc.

Sep 13, 2022
Daniel, what the Pharisees did was blasphemy the work of God that He did through Jesus. They called the Holy Spirit a demon for doing good works. All you need to do is repent and ask forgiveness and you'll be fine. The true blasphemy is when God's elect are delivered up before Satan to testify against him and they refuse the Holy Sprit to speak through them. Luke 12: 9-12.

Funkus

May 20, 2020
this type of personal insult is completely inappropriate
Daniel you're being a dumbass. It's way more likely that thought that you're down for punishment is the real pharisee thought here

Sep 13, 2022
1. Today is still the day of salvation.
2. You can only commit the unpardonable sin in the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Daniel, all you need to do is repent and you will be fine. The Lord loves those that believe in him. What the Pharisees did was call the miracles of God's holy spirit working through Jesus evil. They blaspheme God in doing so. The unforgivable sin is when you are delivered up before Satan when he comes claiming to be God, II Thes 2:1-4, and you know he is a fake yet you refuse to allow the Holy Spirit to speak through you to expose Satan as an imposter. Luke 12:9-12. Peace unto you.

Funkus

May 20, 2020
What did you say? You make no sense
I meant that, you seem worried. Well, this worry is a bit like the 'pharisee' that looks down on people. i meant there's no need to worry
i think that sometimes we get thoughts or whatever, and it's not really 'us'. I think God knows that. He knows that and isn't going to just judge based on that
Anyway, I have a completely different take on the whole 'unforgivable sin'. I think this was His way of saying 'look guys this is important', get the Holy Spirit right. But how many times you see a dodgy preacher take liberties with the Spirit and not bother about discernment much. I see that a lot. So even though Jesus said it strongly, still He gets ignored. So don't be too hard on yourself is all i'm saying

Sep 1, 2022
You should only be asking God about this, not other people, since they do not know what is in your heart. No one should even hazard a guess.
Yes, that obviously makes sense but I am expressing my situation out in front of everyone. I just feel bitter that this happened to me and I feel like garbage. Why out of billions of people do I alone have to believe what the pharisees said about Jesus Christ and nobody else? I just wish this never happened.