Believing husband and unbelieving wife

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Theophilos

Aug 4, 2019
Has anyone dealt with this issue or know anyone that has? I understand it’s quite common both ways. I’m well aware of Paul’s teaching on this. Thoughts, advise, and constructive feedback are much appreciated. Thanks folks.

Aug 11, 2019
Indiana
My friend has dealt with the same thing, and so far she has come around to accept the Lord.
But it wasn't easy on her hubby, it was a rough ride for a while (their marriage). And I know of other couples that didn't manage it. Soft encouragement and prayer...the rest is up to the individual, who/what their influences are. It sometimes helps when mutual friends are along, but especially the children. Your kids are usually your best teachers, aside from faith.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I think if both parties are on His same page, the chance of peace and reconciliation in the day to day bring them Godly hope. I think sharing the same invested interest in our Lord and Saviour has them both thinking the other more important than themselves, eager and ready to serve the other, all for God's Glory. I also believe the level of deep intimacy (closeness) between two who are centered on Christ has the potential for fullness of joy and pleasures forever more.

Leastamongmany

Jun 2, 2019
Usa
My friend has dealt with the same thing, and so far she has come around to accept the Lord.
But it wasn't easy on her hubby, it was a rough ride for a while (their marriage). And I know of other couples that didn't manage it. Soft encouragement and prayer...the rest is up to the individual, who/what their influences are. It sometimes helps when mutual friends are along, but especially the children. Your kids are usually your best teachers, aside from faith.

Welcome to cc and Blessings on your journey here! May you find fellowship and love among the brethern!

Sep 3, 2016
If our willpower was the answer, Jesus did not need to leave Heaven and be Crucified on the Cross Calvary where the victory was won. No man/woman can fix the flesh with the flesh (Zech. 4:6). We make laws believing that our works can please God.

When people leave the Cross and turn to other things, which millions are now doing, the Scripture says of them: "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils" (1 Timothy 4:1).

Needless to say, such individuals, as with the lukewarm and as with those who have a form of godliness, are labeled by the Lord as unsaved, despite their claims, and will not go in the rapture nor enter the strait gate and narrow way that leads unto life.

Many are proclaiming Christ, but forsaking the Cross (lukewarm). This is also called "spiritual adultery (Rom. 7:1-4)."

If you leave the Cross, on your best day all you can do is try and patch up the situation. You can not fix it! Why? Because only the Cross deals with sins!

Husband and wives, return to the Cross by placing and maintaining your Faith exclusively in Christ and the Finished Work at Calvary's Cross, i.e., "The Blood of Jesus Christ," and watch the Holy Spirit show up and show out!!!!!!! Jesus Christ specialize in changing people and all problems around.

Aug 11, 2019
Has anyone dealt with this issue or know anyone that has? I understand it’s quite common both ways. I’m well aware of Paul’s teaching on this. Thoughts, advise, and constructive feedback are much appreciated. Thanks folks.
Hi, I am new here but yes this is my situation. All you can do is pray for your wife and family. It is even harder when you have kids and your trying to teach them about God and your wife is trying to teach them the opposite. God does not want us to be unequally yoked with unbelievers if we are Christians. I was not really a practicing Christian at the time I got married and did not become one until after but I still love my wife and pray for her.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I'm guessing this is an already-existing marriage, rather than a potential one. In the latter case, I would simply say 'Run in the other direction.'

The Scripture is clear: to the Christian wife, respect your unbelieving husband. To the Christian husband, love your unbelieving wife. If the unbeliever is willing to stay, the marriage stays. If the unbeliever leaves, the believer is free.

A local Christian counselor who has seen many couples in this situation says it is one of the most difficult challenges a marriage can undergo. Pray much, and let the gospel be evident in your actions and attitude at least as consistently as in your words.

Theophilos

Aug 4, 2019
Hi, I am new here but yes this is my situation. All you can do is pray for your wife and family. It is even harder when you have kids and your trying to teach them about God and your wife is trying to teach them the opposite. God does not want us to be unequally yoked with unbelievers if we are Christians. I was not really a practicing Christian at the time I got married and did not become one until after but I still love my wife and pray for her.
Exactly the same case here. I was a firm atheist when we met and throughout our marriage, until a year ago. Now that I’m a follower of Christ, I think back to my prior life and feel like I’ve carried the flame all along, I just didn’t know it or didn’t want to confront it.
It’s the hardest when it comes to children. I want to share my faith with our child and will when she’s a bit older, but I know it may cause friction. I continue to pray and show by example what and who we (the Christians) really are.

Theophilos

Aug 4, 2019
I'm guessing this is an already-existing marriage, rather than a potential one. In the latter case, I would simply say 'Run in the other direction.'

The Scripture is clear: to the Christian wife, respect your unbelieving husband. To the Christian husband, love your unbelieving wife. If the unbeliever is willing to stay, the marriage stays. If the unbeliever leaves, the believer is free.

A local Christian counselor who has seen many couples in this situation says it is one of the most difficult challenges a marriage can undergo. Pray much, and let the gospel be evident in your actions and attitude at least as consistently as in your words.
Thank you very much for these words of encouragement. You’ve summed up well my entire approach. I love and care for my wife dearly, but nothing would ever come before God. I would never leave her, but could also never seize to be a Christian for the sake of my marriage. Sometimes I feel this is the cross I must bare, I own up to it and I carry on.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Thank you very much for these words of encouragement. You’ve summed up well my entire approach. I love and care for my wife dearly, but nothing would ever come before God. I would never leave her, but could also never seize to be a Christian for the sake of my marriage. Sometimes I feel this is the cross I must bare, I own up to it and I carry on.
May God give you patience, wisdom, strength, and peace.