Bible discussion, Anyone else think........?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
That everyone’s efforts to help someone else see scripture from how you understand it is, although lined with good intentions, it cannot do anything?

I have seriously wondered that even if I understood the bible entirely, which I don’t and, may never be able to connect all its magic in my lifetime. The reason I think this is, imagine life as a video game with lots of challenges and rewards and accomplishments. Would anyone want another to just tell them all they had to do to win the game? No, that is boring and takes out the fun. Having a cheat guide may seem useful for going through the motions but deep down, we don’t want the easy way.

1 scripture that had me wondering was:

Proverbs 5:15

15 Drink water from your own cistern,
running water from your own well.
16 Should your springs overflow in the streets,
your streams of water in the public squares?
17 Let them be yours alone,
never to be shared with strangers.

Also, I am fully aware of the many scriptures saying to help the poor (in spirit)

Thoughts?

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
That everyone’s efforts to help someone else see scripture from how you understand it is, although lined with good intentions, it cannot do anything?

I have seriously wondered that even if I understood the bible entirely, which I don’t and, may never be able to connect all its magic in my lifetime. The reason I think this is, imagine life as a video game with lots of challenges and rewards and accomplishments. Would anyone want another to just tell them all they had to do to win the game? No, that is boring and takes out the fun. Having a cheat guide may seem useful for going through the motions but deep down, we don’t want the easy way.

Also, I am fully aware of the many scriptures saying to help the poor (in spirit)

Thoughts?
We can know God's Truth and we are to tell others. A good Sword fight can sharpen yourself in the truth, and listeners can be helped and you might not know about it.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017

Thoughts?
While some scriptures are challenging to comprehend we must remember the three basic rules;
1. Repentance
2.Baptism
3. Live a righteous life according to G-d's commands.
Those are very clear in G-d's word and is presented in many ways to assure that end result.

When our heart is right with G-d it is miraculous how revealing The Holy Spirit will make further studies. Remember controlling scriptures;
somethings are reserved for our Father's knowledge only
Look for scripture which revels meaning of scripture
do not spiritualize scriptures

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
1 scripture that had me wondering was: Proverbs 5:15: 15 Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well.16 Should your springs overflow in the streets, your streams of water in the public squares? 17 Let them be yours alone, never to be shared with strangers.
From the way you started, it would appear that you wanted to discover the meaning of this on your own.

But the very next verse gives you the clue: Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.

So it is all about the faithfulness of husbands and wives to each other, stated in metaphors.

M

Miri

It depends what you mean by the word “bible study.”

Mostly when used in church and small groups it entails
people being open to the scripture and discussing it, digging deep,
cross reference with other passages. People being generally open and
willing to learn from each other and the word.

Bible study on CC means something completely different, it’s more like,
Several armies all with different weapons of choice fighting over the
same one foot square piece of land, just to be king of the hill! Lol.

Apr 15, 2017
It depends what you mean by the word “bible study.”

Mostly when used in church and small groups it entails
people being open to the scripture and discussing it, digging deep,
cross reference with other passages. People being generally open and
willing to learn from each other and the word.

Bible study on CC means something completely different, it’s more like,
Several armies all with different weapons of choice fighting over the
same one foot square piece of land, just to be king of the hill! Lol.
At the start of the NBA there is hope that maybe this year they could take the championship, and be the winners, and out of all the teams that participated they were number one, and rejoiced in it.

That is how it seems like with the denominations, and they take pride in it, saying out of all the denominations, saying this and that, and we have the truth, out of all of them we have the truth, and they say we are the winners, and they rejoice in it, and saying we are number one.

M

Miri

At the start of the NBA there is hope that maybe this year they could take the championship, and be the winners, and out of all the teams that participated they were number one, and rejoiced in it.

That is how it seems like with the denominations, and they take pride in it, saying out of all the denominations, saying this and that, and we have the truth, out of all of them we have the truth, and they say we are the winners, and they rejoice in it, and saying we are number one.

The truth is there are no denominations in eternity.
There is people from every tribe, tongue and nation.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Iron sharpens iron but the way some people seem to approach the Bible on CC sadly if this was a live bible study or discussion I would not want to be around certain people. We ought to be learning from the holy spirit and exploring the Word together.

If one find its impossible to do that then dont join a discussion, one is better to post a blog or similar then you can put forth your own views on scripture all you like. Its just kindness and courtesy. Debates may be for philosophical forums but as Paul once said to the athenians who babbled on about their unknown God...and spent their time on nothing else but going to forums, it was the equivalent of turning on the tv or facebook scrolling in our day) ...that He is present and here. We are his offspring.

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men everywhere to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in which he will judge the world in rigteousness by that man who, he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked, and others said we will hear again of the matter.

Check out Acts 17:31-32
(Note, some mocked! I really dont want to hang round people who see fit to just mock us christians for telling them about Jesus and people who want to deny or debate the resurrection)

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
Ultimately, that's true. This is what the parable of the sower means--you can spread seeds, but unless God has made the ground fertile, they won't bear fruit. So I wouldn't say that your efforts to help someone understand scripture cannot do anything--you could very well be the catalyst that God is using to reach someone else--but I would say that it won't always have the effect you hoped for (maybe it's even more about God helping you to understand or to reach out than it is about them understanding).

And of course any time anyone says, "This is what the Bible says," what they are really saying is, "This is what I think the Bible says." No one really knows the mind of God, we only have our own perceptions and interpretations of truth.

P

pottersclay

While some scriptures are challenging to comprehend we must remember the three basic rules;
1. Repentance
2.Baptism
3. Live a righteous life according to G-d's commands.
Those are very clear in G-d's word and is presented in many ways to assure that end result.

When our heart is right with G-d it is miraculous how revealing The Holy Spirit will make further studies. Remember controlling scriptures;
somethings are reserved for our Father's knowledge only
Look for scripture which revels meaning of scripture
do not spiritualize scriptures
We can't live a righteous life. That's what it's all about.

P

pottersclay

Ultimately, that's true. This is what the parable of the sower means--you can spread seeds, but unless God has made the ground fertile, they won't bear fruit. So I wouldn't say that your efforts to help someone understand scripture cannot do anything--you could very well be the catalyst that God is using to reach someone else--but I would say that it won't always have the effect you hoped for (maybe it's even more about God helping you to understand or to reach out than it is about them understanding).

And of course any time anyone says, "This is what the Bible says," what they are really saying is, "This is what I think the Bible says." No one really knows the mind of God, we only have our own perceptions and interpretations of truth.
So the same Spirit that was found in Christ is also found in you as a witness to the truth sent as a helper in null and void???
Jesus being the way truth and life never changing if we are in Christ we speak the same truth.

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
So the same Spirit that was found in Christ is also found in you as a witness to the truth sent as a helper in null and void???
Jesus being the way truth and life never changing if we are in Christ we speak the same truth.
Sounds nice and pretty, but look around--30,000+ Christian denominations say that we don't all have the same interpretation of "truth."

P

pottersclay

Sounds nice and pretty, but look around--30,000+ Christian denominations say that we don't all have the same interpretation of "truth."
That's because they're to busy interpreting.....all they need is to translate.

glf1

Jun 10, 2018
When scripture is shared, there is always the potential that the Holy Spirit will illuminate it and increase the faith of such a one or perhaps fulfill the promise of the new covenant and write the Lord's laws and commandments upon the table of that one's heart and mind; transforming him or her a little more into the image of Christ as sin is perceived that much more as the Lord himself does.

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
That's because they're to busy interpreting.....all they need is to translate.
Translation requires interpretation.

But my point was that even in Christ, we don't all have the same understanding of "truth."

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Translation requires interpretation.

But my point was that even in Christ, we don't all have the same understanding of "truth."

Jesus also gives each of us a very personal path which only He knows for each of us. Many times there are needless contentions due to individuals not giving credit for the salvation of others in this regard.

Mar 28, 2016
There must be heresies as personal opinions or private interpretations of what we think is being taught among us.

That would seem to be where the "interpretation prescriptions" come in by which we can hear and seek the approval of God who has not left us without instruction on how we can hear Him as the things of God and not men as the things of men .

When the prescriptions are not used the interpretation is anyone ones guess .Some even say the parables are not for the gentiles. -or people will say look to the literal and therefore miss out on the signified spiritual ( eternal faith application)

Matthew 13:34All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

Mark 4:11And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

We are to rightly divide those parables using the 20/20 prescription needed to find faith ( the unseen eternal)

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.2 Corinthians 4:18

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
From the way you started, it would appear that you wanted to discover the meaning of this on your own.

But the very next verse gives you the clue: Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.

So it is all about the faithfulness of husbands and wives to each other, stated in metaphors.
It is the verse that follows that provides the clarity of what the proceeding verse was really stating and provided the proper context so as to be understood.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
As it is taught by Paul's writing, one person holds one day above another and another does not, they are both correct as long as they have a clear conscience in the sight of God. There are many instances such as cited by Paul where individuals may conflict in matters not important to salvagtion yet they afre both not sinning……...even though they disagree. Come th Kingdome we will all be freed of such nonsense. The nonsense here is bothering to disagree on things that do not matter or making things that do not matter vital to our Salvation...duhhhh.

E

eternally-gratefull

All these posts. And as I see, Only one actually answered th equestion????

I agree with his answer by the way!!