Blood test

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

love it? hate it?

• I enjoy it (away from me, unknown creature!)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don't even notice when it happens (^O^)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feels like an insect bite (More like bees stinging you nonstop, even when the scar fades the memory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horrifying

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Not a big deal. Get over it. :(

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
R

renewed_hope

Well, at my doctors office the techs that draw the blood are very flirtatious and always make me blush and smile. Before I know it, they distract me enough then it's done. So giving blood doesn't bother me as long as I don't see it.

I did have a horror story that happened last September with getting an IV in an ambulance. I've been told I've always had good veins and then when the EMT was preparing me with fluids for the hospital he hit my vein, but a bump in the road caused him to jerk the needle out and blood went everywhere, I ended up passing out after that.

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro
Kudos to the kind nurse. She probably has no idea how much she's touched your life. Sometimes, it's things like this that makes you still wanna believe in people.

I envy your courage Kim. I'll be honest. I remember feeling guilty about not contributing at a blood donation drive one time when I was in college. It's just one of my major weaknesses. My pain tolerance is low and I'm seriously considering getting back to exercise if only to increase my pain tolerance because I WILL have to have my blood drawn again, at least every two years. So I might as well just prepare for it. I know it shouldn't be a big deal but... ugh I still don't like it.

When I was a kid, my Dad donated blood all the time, and he would come home with a Band-Aid and one of those "Be nice to me--I gave blood today" stickers that they used to give out (he also claims that my Mom STILL was never nice to him... lol.)

So, I always thought that when I grew up, I would do that, too. Except that I was deathly scared of needles, so that was a bit of a problem. At that time, getting a marriage license in my home state required a blood test, and that worried me, even as a kid. I even contemplated never getting married because of it!

I will never forget one time when I had to have blood drawn as a kid. I think I was about 5 years old, and I was so scared that I was contemplating hopping right off the table and running. But a very kind nurse must have noticed this, and so she told me to turn my head away, cover my eyes, and sing the "ABC's" out loud. She even sang with me to help me remember the letters.

And I have been doing that ever since--even as an adult (though I no longer turn my head--I can even watch them), and even though I no longer sing out loud (well, usually... in order to spare the poor staff. :p) Sometimes I sing different songs to myself, but... if you promise not to tell anyone :)... Most often, I am still singing my "ABC's", in order to honor that nurse. Her kindness for a scared little kid came in handy later in life, when I had a few medical concerns that always seemed to involve drawing blood.

One of the first things I did when I turned 18 was to sign up to be a blood donor, and I did so for many years. I'm just now getting back into it (they always had the drives when I was working, so I couldn't go for a long time), and the last time I almost fainted, but I believe that nurse gave me an incredible gift that day, and I always wanted to try to use it for good (kind of like a super power, lol.)

I know some people believe that giving blood is not Biblical ("The life of the flesh is in the blood", Lev. 17:11) and are against it, and I can respect their beliefs.

But one of the things that influenced me heavily as a kid was when a family in our church congregation was in a car accident, and their child's life was on the line. My Dad and pastor would drive 3 hours each way in order to donate platelets whenever they could, and that was played a crucial role in saving that child.

I admit that it's gotten tougher as I've gotten older, seeing as I have those dreaded veins that collapse and roll, which sometimes turns me into a pincushion. I dread it just as much as anyone else, but I try my best to put up a brave front.

I always have the thought in the back of my head when I sign up for a blood drive--that it may seem like a small, insignificant act--but it could be saving the life of someone else's loved one... maybe even a child.

And who knows, maybe someday, other donors might be saving the lives of MY loved ones... or even... me.

(If nothing else... I at least get free cookies after it's all done! :p)

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro
Yeah, I read somewhere that drinking water before having blood drawn helps a lot. I've never been stung by a bee, being the careful person that I am haha. Even as a kid, I rarely got myself in painful trouble (other than the self-inflicted ones lol).

I had to get hooked up to an IV back in december... they had trouble finding a good vein because I was very dehydrated (I think that's why) and they poked me 3 times, but it didn't really hurt. Just think of it as a little bee sting. That's really what it feels like. I've been stung before so I know.

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro
"No, no, the red stuff is supposed to stay on the INSIDE!"

Amen, brother.

I have no opinion, as I haven't had a blood test in so long that I can't remember it. I mean I'm sure I got one as a kid or something, but I can't remember it. Since then I haven't done anything that would get me an infection that requires a blood test, so I'm going to keep my blood to myself. If I ever have a situation that requires a blood test I guess I'll go see the vampire of a doctor, and then I'll have an opinion on blood tests.

Quote from a video game called The Saboteur, from the player's character (when he gets shot) "No, no, the red stuff is supposed to stay on the INSIDE!"

MichaelOwen

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, I read somewhere that drinking water before having blood drawn helps a lot. I've never been stung by a bee, being the careful person that I am haha. Even as a kid, I rarely got myself in painful trouble (other than the self-inflicted ones lol).

When I was in the 4th grade, we went on a field trip to the park, and I sat on a rock wall, right over a yellow jackets nest......let's just say a bunch of em got up the back of my shirt.....:mad: lol fun times

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro
I have something similar happen to me a couple years ago. So this nurse, couldn't find my vein, the same nurse that had to wiggle the needle inside my flesh. She tried my other arm too with the same result. My tears were falling silently but I didn't want to make a fuss cause I was alone and the shame's double that way. Lol.

So, the nurse couldn't find it and gave up after 5 tries on both arms. She had the doctor take over. The doctor was very nice though, I think he used a much smaller needle, the butterfly one? He told me about some stories (this was only 2 years ago lol but he really treated me like a child) about his other patients and funny stories too that I didn't notice he actually got the job done. And I still cried but only because I was holding it in for so long and I was embarrassed at the same time I was like to heck with it. He's the same doctor who did the physical checkup for me today and I will never forget him lol. I wish all nurses are like him. T_T

The thing that bothers me the most about blood tests is finding the clinic that does them, and then finding some place within two blocks to park.

I was the type to watch, until the time I fainted. (I don't think the two things were related, but like hedging my bets.)

I held the family record at 17 jabs to hit the vein for a good 13 years. Then John doubled it. (34 jabs to hit his vein, and then finally had to use an ultrasound to find his vein.)

One thing I hate to do is distract the person working on me, so I will not yell, scream, or flinch. But one time, I probably should have. The phlebotomist tried taking blood out of an elbow ligament. Ligaments don't have blood, however, I got a bruise from my lower arm (3/5ths to my wrist) all the way up to my shoulder the next day. Stupid part is I was wondering what the woman in the next bay in the ER was screaming about, when he took her blood. And then I knew.

I still have no problem giving blood. I'm just less trusting on phlebotomists.

And, I want to thank the 60+ people who donated the blood that saved my husband's life.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I've given 21 gallons of blood. Good thing they didn't take it all at once because that would make me dizzy.

Got horror stories about the blood machine popping a hose and my blood running out onto the floor. That had the techs running about for a few seconds. Big mess to clean up afterwards.

A lot of cancer patients used my platelets in their treatments.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Laish

Jul 31, 2016
I have no issues with blood tests.
I do have a funny story about one . I was in the emergency room for heart problems. ( I was dehydrated and some how that gave me a rapid heart rate.) They put me in a room and were in the process of running some tests to see what was going on.
When a young lady came to draw some blood the poor lady hit my vein in just right spot and got a face and chest full of blood. She freaked. Then passes out. I never saw folks move so fast or hear the words oh ....... so loudly. Also of all things my wife was laughing so hard she had to leave the room after they took the lady out in a wheelchair lol .
Blessings
Bill

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Kudos to the kind nurse. She probably has no idea how much she's touched your life. Sometimes, it's things like this that makes you still wanna believe in people.

I envy your courage Kim. I'll be honest. I remember feeling guilty about not contributing at a blood donation drive one time when I was in college. It's just one of my major weaknesses. My pain tolerance is low and I'm seriously considering getting back to exercise if only to increase my pain tolerance because I WILL have to have my blood drawn again, at least every two years. So I might as well just prepare for it. I know it shouldn't be a big deal but... ugh I still don't like it.
We are all built differently and we all do what we can, Abi.

I know there are a WHOLE bunch of things that you are talented in that I couldn't touch with a ten-foot pole :p, and I admire you greatly for it.

I also wanted to say thank you to the others here who have shared their stories about donating blood/having loved ones who were saved by donations--it's very inspiring and very touching to know that it actually makes a difference (I have to admit that sometimes I had visions of all the blood bags being frozen and tossed out if they "expired", which made me wonder if it really did any good to donate.)

At the last drive I attended, I inquired about donating platelets but was told I'd have to go to the standing Red Cross center (about an hour away.) If I can get someone to go with me someday (just in case I get sick), the other posters here have definitely inspired me to donate platelets, too.

Thank you for sharing your stories!!! <3

Great thread, Abi. :)

Monnkai

Mar 18, 2014
I used to be terrified of blood tests however after my second heart surgery a few years ago and being woken up every night in the hospital at a very unreasonable time during my bout with phnemonia and being stuck in the arm ive gotten used to it. However ivs are different when ever I get on my veins seem to disapear and they have to dig around

D

Depleted

When I was a kid, my Dad donated blood all the time, and he would come home with a Band-Aid and one of those "Be nice to me--I gave blood today" stickers that they used to give out (he also claims that my Mom STILL was never nice to him... lol.)

So, I always thought that when I grew up, I would do that, too. Except that I was deathly scared of needles, so that was a bit of a problem. At that time, getting a marriage license in my home state required a blood test, and that worried me, even as a kid. I even contemplated never getting married because of it!

I will never forget one time when I had to have blood drawn as a kid. I think I was about 5 years old, and I was so scared that I was contemplating hopping right off the table and running. But a very kind nurse must have noticed this, and so she told me to turn my head away, cover my eyes, and sing the "ABC's" out loud. She even sang with me to help me remember the letters.

And I have been doing that ever since--even as an adult (though I no longer turn my head--I can even watch them), and even though I no longer sing out loud (well, usually... in order to spare the poor staff. :p) Sometimes I sing different songs to myself, but... if you promise not to tell anyone :)... Most often, I am still singing my "ABC's", in order to honor that nurse. Her kindness for a scared little kid came in handy later in life, when I had a few medical concerns that always seemed to involve drawing blood.

One of the first things I did when I turned 18 was to sign up to be a blood donor, and I did so for many years. I'm just now getting back into it (they always had the drives when I was working, so I couldn't go for a long time), and the last time I almost fainted, but I believe that nurse gave me an incredible gift that day, and I always wanted to try to use it for good (kind of like a super power, lol.)

I know some people believe that giving blood is not Biblical ("The life of the flesh is in the blood", Lev. 17:11) and are against it, and I can respect their beliefs.

But one of the things that influenced me heavily as a kid was when a family in our church congregation was in a car accident, and their child's life was on the line. My Dad and pastor would drive 3 hours each way in order to donate platelets whenever they could, and that was played a crucial role in saving that child.

I admit that it's gotten tougher as I've gotten older, seeing as I have those dreaded veins that collapse and roll, which sometimes turns me into a pincushion. I dread it just as much as anyone else, but I try my best to put up a brave front.

I always have the thought in the back of my head when I sign up for a blood drive--that it may seem like a small, insignificant act--but it could be saving the life of someone else's loved one... maybe even a child.

And who knows, maybe someday, other donors might be saving the lives of MY loved ones... or even... me.

(If nothing else... I at least get free cookies after it's all done! :p)
Good thing they give out pretzels too. I'm diabetic, so cookies would be problematic. lol

I'm bummed. Used to be able to go to blood drives. They don't have them often anymore, or don't advertise when they do. (One time I went to visit John in the afternoon. Same hospital I had been visiting him in for over a month, but came in one afternoon to signs telling me they had a blood drive that morning.) When John was in the ICU, I tried giving blood to the hospital. Couldn't do it. They only got their blood from Red Cross. Same deal with both hospitals. I even tempted them with the best offer -- I'm O -. The universal donor. And willing to donate platelets only.

We do have a Red Cross in town. All I'd have to do is take three buses and then walk a mile to get to it.

D

Depleted

I have no opinion, as I haven't had a blood test in so long that I can't remember it. I mean I'm sure I got one as a kid or something, but I can't remember it. Since then I haven't done anything that would get me an infection that requires a blood test, so I'm going to keep my blood to myself. If I ever have a situation that requires a blood test I guess I'll go see the vampire of a doctor, and then I'll have an opinion on blood tests.

Quote from a video game called The Saboteur, from the player's character (when he gets shot) "No, no, the red stuff is supposed to stay on the INSIDE!"
How so you know your cholesterol levels? Triglycerides? Are you a diabetic?

D

Depleted

Needles don’t bother me much anymore. When I was in the hospital to have my first baby, I felt like I was constantly getting jabbed- IVs, epidural (the anesthesiologist had a hard time sticking the giant needle into my spine; he kept missing whatever he was trying to hit and had to redo it 9 times while I hid my face in a pillow and tried not to pass out), then blood draws twice a day while I was there because I got an infection. I’d wake up to some vampire nurse taking my blood every time I finally managed to rest. Maybe it was only once a day...hard to remember. Just lots of needles.
Hmmm, something I never considered. When getting an epidural, the patient is supposed to roll on their side and roll up in the fetal position or lie on your stomach. How do VERY pregnant women do that?

D

Depleted

I have something similar happen to me a couple years ago. So this nurse, couldn't find my vein, the same nurse that had to wiggle the needle inside my flesh. She tried my other arm too with the same result. My tears were falling silently but I didn't want to make a fuss cause I was alone and the shame's double that way. Lol.

So, the nurse couldn't find it and gave up after 5 tries on both arms. She had the doctor take over. The doctor was very nice though, I think he used a much smaller needle, the butterfly one? He told me about some stories (this was only 2 years ago lol but he really treated me like a child) about his other patients and funny stories too that I didn't notice he actually got the job done. And I still cried but only because I was holding it in for so long and I was embarrassed at the same time I was like to heck with it. He's the same doctor who did the physical checkup for me today and I will never forget him lol. I wish all nurses are like him. T_T
One time, she was having trouble finding a vein, I noticed the veins on my hand and asked, "Why don't you use one of those? At least you can see it."

She said, "Oh you don't mind. Okay then."

No, I was really asking why not, but after she got blood there, I found out "why not." Avoid getting blood taken out of your hands.

IT HURTS! Which is "why not."

T

Tinuviel

How about "never had it done"? Yep...I avoid doctors as much as possible, because I am unreasonably afraid of them! (this needs to go in the list of phobias lol), I am remarkably healthy, thank God, and I've never had an IV or any blood drawn.

Monnkai

Mar 18, 2014
One time, she was having trouble finding a vein, I noticed the veins on my hand and asked, "Why don't you use one of those? At least you can see it."

No, I was really asking why not, but after she got blood there, I found out "why not." Avoid getting blood taken out of your hands.

the day I was airlifted for heart failure I got it in the hand. Slightly less painful than the cathiter being pulled out.. still pretty bad

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro

the day I was airlifted for heart failure I got it in the hand. Slightly less painful than the cathiter being pulled out.. still pretty bad
That's terrible. I remember my brother when he was a baby, he was diagnosed with urinary track infection and had to spend a few days in the hospital. It was horrifying to see nurses search attempt and fail to find a vein to draw blood from. They left so many slices in his body that I curse UTI to eternity. He's a fat baby so it was hard for them to find one, they had to do it on his foot. It still breaks my heart remembering it today and I end up spoiling my brother so much, even now that he's 14.

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro
Same! I try to avoid them too, but such is the nature of being a foreign worker. Documents require me to have a blood test every two years.

When I saw the container / tube of my blood yesterday, I think I started to understand irrational fear. Not that I fear blood necessarily, but looking at your own blood... in some apparatus and labeled with your name, it just kinda made me feel weird.

How about "never had it done"? Yep...I avoid doctors as much as possible, because I am unreasonably afraid of them! (this needs to go in the list of phobias lol), I am remarkably healthy, thank God, and I've never had an IV or any blood drawn.