Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
Deu 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
Deu 6:6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

This is not a new testament law. if we obey it we will obey the Sabbath law?
I can't resist saying this, but if we stop in bed, we will not break a single commandment, not even the 4th commandment. (grin)

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
I can't resist saying this, but if we stop in bed, we will not break a single commandment, not even the 4th commandment. (grin)
What about the law to "not have any other Gods before me". If bed is put before the Lord it has become your idol.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

How is the weekly Sabbath a shadow of things to come? How is the weekly Sabbath against us?

It makes sense when you apply this to the ceremonial sabbaths and the ordinances that where a shadow of Christ, but to apply it to the weekly Sabbath is twisted.
Law is a rule that enforce by authority

law of weekly sabbath is enforce by dead penalty. Death penalty is against the violator.

jesus come and promise to give sabbath for whose ever come to Him. It is real sabbath

[h=1]Matthew 11:28-30 King James Version (KJV)[/h]28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

rest is sabbath.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

This can not be referring to the Weekly Sabbath because the weekly sabbath was created before the need for a saviour. All the shadows of Christ were instituted after sin.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
To continue to practice the ceremonial laws like the pass-over and animal sacrifices (feasts and holy days) after the death of Christ would be against us and contrary to our faith. It is contrary and against our faith because it would deny what was achieved on the cross. The weekly sabbath was given before sin.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014

This can not be referring to the Weekly Sabbath because the weekly sabbath was created before the need for a saviour. All the shadows of Christ were instituted after sin.
can you prove Adam and Eve doing weekly sabbath?

what is the different with yearly sabbath? Is that yearly sabbath created base on weekly sabbath?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
To continue to practice the ceremonial laws like the pass-over and animal sacrifices (feasts and holy days) after the death of Christ would be against us and contrary to our faith. It is contrary and against our faith because it would deny what was achieved on the cross. The weekly sabbath was given before sin.
So does weekly sabbath, simply by coming to Jesus we do have rest or sabbath, why we need weekly sabbath.

[h=1]Matthew 11:28-30 King James Version (KJV)[/h]28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Law is a rule that enforce by authority

law of weekly sabbath is enforce by dead penalty. Death penalty is against the violator.

jesus come and promise to give sabbath for whose ever come to Him. It is real sabbath

Matthew 11:28-30 King James Version (KJV)

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

rest is sabbath.
That is a presumption, Jesus is our rest true but to say that we don't need to keep the sabbath because Jesus is our rest is a presumption. He is our rest every day all the time. The Sabbath is commanded to be kept on the 7th day and to keep it because God rested on that day. Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
To just think Jesus is now my rest so i can forget about the 7th day is a presumption. The Sabbath was not a shadow of Christ. It was created before sin.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
can you prove Adam and Eve doing weekly sabbath?

what is the different with yearly sabbath? Is that yearly sabbath created base on weekly sabbath?
Can you prove that they didn't keep the Sabbath?

The difference is that the weekly sabbath was given at creation as a gift from God and the yearly sabbaths were introduced after sin when the yearly feasts and ordinances were introduced as a shadow that pointed to Christ (Passover).

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
So does weekly sabbath, simply by coming to Jesus we do have rest or sabbath, why we need weekly sabbath.

Matthew 11:28-30 King James Version (KJV)

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
No the weekly Sabbath is not a denial of the death of Christ, it is not a shadow of Christ because it was created before sin. And the reason to keep it is because it is blessed and hallowed. set aside from the rest of the week.
Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Can you prove that they didn't keep the Sabbath?

The difference is that the weekly sabbath was given at creation as a gift from God and the yearly sabbaths were introduced after sin when the yearly feasts and ordinances were introduced as a shadow that pointed to Christ (Passover).
Everyday was a rest day for Adam and Eve, they were in paradise, until they disobeyed.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
What about the law to "not have any other Gods before me". If bed is put before the Lord it has become your idol.
I have to force myself to go to bed, so bed is not an idol, and while I am there I am not breaking any commandments, and I am resting, everyday.

Beat that. :D

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
I have to force myself to go to bed, so bed is not an idol, and while I am there I am not breaking any commandments, and I am resting, everyday.

Beat that. :D
The sabbath was blessed and hallowed so that makes it different to the other days. For Adam before sin and after it was still set aside as the Holy day. How you spend your hours is up to you but i choose to obey God and remember the Sabbath to keep it Holy the way God commands because i love God.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
What have you got to lose?
If your wrong and we should be obeying the whole law (all 10) you will not be one of the people talked about here....Rev_12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. Rev_14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

If you are right than you will have no issue.

If i'm wrong and obey all 10 when i don't need to obey the 4th one, but i'm doing all for same motive, i have nothing to fear.

But if i'm right, i will have no issue.

The issue is the one that involves disobedience, that's when you lose. 1Jn_2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
Sounds like SDA propaganda. What are the "Commandments of God"? The whole teaching of Adventists regarding the Mark of the Beast centers on Revelation 14:12 which says that those who have the "commandments of God" do not receive the mark. Adventists claim that this passage is referring to the Ten Commandments, and Sunday-keepers cannot be keeping the Ten Commandments because the fourth commandment instructs worship on Saturday.

Bible Truth Versus Adventist Truth - Mark of the Beast

The best way to intepret the meaning of John's writings is to compare them with the other writings of John. The Greek word for "commandments" in Rev. 14:12 is entole which means "an order, command, charge, precept, injunction."20 The same word is used repeatedly in the writings of John to refer to the instructions of Christ. John uses an entirely different Greek word in his writings when he refers to the Ten Commandments: nomas. For example:

Did not Moses give you the law {nomos}, and [yet] none of you keepeth the law {nomos}? Why go ye about to kill me? (John 7:19; Jesus is referring to the 6th commandment "Thou shalt not kill"--Ex. 20:13) According to John, the number one commandment {entolae} of Jesus to the Apostles was not Sabbath-worship, but for them to love one another:

A new commandment {entolae} I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. (John 13:34) This is my commandment {entolae}, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. (John 15:12)
Notice how John refers to the "commandments" of God in his letter:

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments {entolas}. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments {entolas}; and His commandments {entolae} are not burdensome. (1 John 5:2-3) Earlier in the same letter John tells us exactly what the "commandments" of God are:

Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, [then] have we confidence toward God. And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His [God's] commandments {entolas} and do the things that are pleasing in His sight. This is His [God's] commandment {entolae}, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He [God] commanded {entolaen} us. The one who keeps His [God's] commandments {entolas} abides in Him,... (1 John 3:21-24)

From this we can see that in John's writings the "commandments" of God are:

To believe in Jesus Christ
To love one another

BTY to word "keep" (Greek word "tereo") means:

Strong's Concordance
téreó: to watch over, to guard
Original Word: τηρέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: téreó
Phonetic Spelling: (tay-reh'-o)
Short Definition: I keep, guard, observe
Definition: I keep, guard, observe, watch over.
HELPS Word-studies
5083 tēréō (from tēros, "a guard") – properly, maintain (preserve); (figuratively) spiritually guard (watch), keep intact.

It does not mean sinless, perfect obedience to the Ten Commandments in the Old Testament under the Mosaic Law.

Also see post #20.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The sabbath was blessed and hallowed so that makes it different to the other days. For Adam before sin and after it was still set aside as the Holy day. How you spend your hours is up to you but i choose to obey God and remember the Sabbath to keep it Holy the way God commands because i love God. 1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel that is not binding on Christians under the New Covenant.

*Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Even when SDA's set out to worship on the Sabbath, are they truly "keeping the Sabbath?" To "keep the Sabbath" as it was required in the Old Testament under the Old Covenant would involve compliance with specific regulations (Exodus 16:23; 35:3; Leviticus 23:32; Jeremiah 17:21) that were strictly enforced.

If Sabbath day observances are still required, so would the burnt offerings which went along with them (Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3; Numbers 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13). So no kindling a fire in any of your dwellings on the sabbath (Exodus 35:3). Every man must remain in his place (no traveling) on the sabbath (Exodus 16:29). No trading (Amos 8:5). No marketing (Nehemiah 10:31; 13:15,19).

These were commanded by God to Israel (Exodus 35:1).

If the seventh day Sabbath is still in affect, then why do not the Sabbatarians seek to obey ALL that the LORD commanded? How can a person keep a certain law when he keeps only part of it?

If the Sabbath day laws were still in effect today, then according to Exodus 31:12-18; 35:1-3; and Numbers 15:32-36, anyone who profaned the Sabbath was put to death and any person who does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from his people.

Who is going to enforce that? The Jewish synagogue? The Seventh day Adventist church? The Government? Since we do not live under a theocratic state as ancient Israel did under the Old Covenant, no Sabbatarian can live consistently under these Mosaic regulations.

E

eternally-gratefull

No, it was very relevant to the day. These were troubled times. Christians were being persecuted and the temptation to go back into the world was very strong if only to avoid persecution. Paul strove to encourage all the churches.

This has nothing to do with Jesus removing the handwritten ordinances.

They are the law, the words written in stone by the hands of God.

E

eternally-gratefull

Are you saying the Ten Commandments that forbid things like idol worship, having other gods, and murder were nailed to the cross?

Again, No, The PENALTY of not being able to live by those things was nailed to the cross.

Its not that hard to understand.

ie, those things can never condemn you again

E

eternally-gratefull

we digress into another sabbath argument

oh brother.jpg

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
And this includes looking to the 10 commandments to attempt to fulfill them by our own work. That is also contrary to our faith and against us.

Because the 10 commandments were a shadow of what was to come. (Which includes the Sabbath command in the OT)

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

How can we rest in Christ if we turn away from Him and continue our own work at the law? Well we can't it would be utter hypocrisy and silliness.

We are told, in scripture, over and over and over to follow our faith in Christ and not revert back to the works of the law.

Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Its pretty simple. You get one or the other. Rest and Liberty in Christ or your work at the law.

It is glaringly obvious which one we all have chosen.