In the study of the word “covenant” I have found some amazing things. It is common practice by the Christian sect to separate the two. For sure there are two, and I will explain the differences between them in later posts. I do hope that this will be edifying to those that want the truth, and I’m sure that there will be some that will argue against what I feel necessary to present. To begin, I present a verse that Paul wrote to the Galatians, with the likeness between the two covenants as an “allegory,” yet there is only one covenant that has been consistent from the beginning.
Galatians 4:24 (KJV)
[SUP]24 [/SUP]Which things are an
allegory: (238) for these are the
two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
Allegory: A figurative discourse, in which the principle subject is described by another subject resembling it in its properties and circumstances. This allegory is a narrative in which abstract ideas are personified, a continued metaphor. In this, we see that the two covenants are actually the same. The difference, as will be described, is physical versus Spiritual.
Old Testament Covenant=(Strong’s1285) briyth ber-eeth' from
**1262 (in the sense of cutting
(***like 1254); a
*compact (because made by passing between pieces of flesh):--confederacy, (con-)feder(-ate), covenant, league.
In Biblical terms this is a
*compact, firmly united between two pieces of flesh, involving sacrifice, and the human race. It is also a description for marriage, one being between man and woman, and the other between Jesus and the church.
**1262 barah baw-raw' a primitive root; to select; also (as denominative from
1250) to feed; also (as equivalent to
1305) to render clear (Eccl. 3:18):--choose, (cause to) eat, manifest, (give) meat.
***1254 bara' baw-raw' a primitive root; (absolutely) to create; (qualified) to cut down (as wood), select, feed (as formative processes):-- choose, create (creator), cut down, dispatch, do, make (fat).
Ephesians 5:31-32 (KJV)
[SUP]31 [/SUP]For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
[SUP]32 [/SUP]This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
Genesis 2:24 (KJV)
[SUP]24 [/SUP]Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
To continue, we see this allegory with Noah, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob/Israel.
Genesis 6:18 (KJV)
18 But with thee will I establish my
covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.
Genesis 15:18 (KJV)
18 In the same day the LORD made a
covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:
Exodus 2:24 (KJV)
24 And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his
covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob.
Exodus 6:5 (KJV)
5 And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage;
and I have remembered my covenant.
Continuing now with the description of the
“New Covenant” (still being an allegory) I quote
Jeremiah 31:31-34 (KJV)
31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a
new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which
my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33 But this shall be the
covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD,
I will put my law in their inward parts,
and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
So we see the same description for the “ Old Covenant” but it is described as “New.”
Hebrews 8:8-10 (KJV)
8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a
new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because
they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is
the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord;
I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: