by Grace and through faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Soyeong

Oct 11, 2023
Paul simplified what a work of faith is in Romans 10:8-10, and that being, One believes unto righteousness but salvation or answered prayer, is made or granted, only until after they have acted on what they believe in their heart.
In Romans 10:5-8, our faith references Deuteronomy 30:11-16 as the word of faith that we proclaim in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult for us to obey, in regard to saying that the one who obeys it will attain life by it, in regard to what we are agreeing to obey by confessing that Jesus is Lord, and in regard to the way to believe that God rose him from the dead (Titus 2:14).

Soyeong

Oct 11, 2023
That's the whole point. The law showed us our need for a Savior!

Galatians 3:
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
That is not the point at all. In Deuteronomy 30:11-20, it says that God's law is not too difficult obey and that obedience to it brings life and a blessing while disobedience brings death and a curse, so choose life! So it was presented as a possibility and as a choice, not as something that was beyond our ability to do, moreover, Romans 10:5-8 references that passage as the word of faith that we proclaim. That law shows us the way that our Savior saves us. In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so God's law brings us to Christ because it teaches us how to know him, which is eternal life (John 17:3).

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
In Galatians 3:26-29, every aspect of being children of God (1), by faith (2), in Christ (3), and children of Abraham and heirs. to the promise (4) is directly connected to living in obedience to God's law. In 1 John 3:10, those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to God's law are not children of God (1). In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of he weightier matters of God's law (2). In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (3). In John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him (4).

Soyeong

Oct 11, 2023
He wasn't under the gospel either.
Heb. 11:39 And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect.

We are saved by the gospel and we must obey the gospel.
2 Thess. 1: when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels 8 in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and God's law was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message, which is in accordance with Jesus being sent in fulfillment of the promise to bless us by turning us from our wickedness (Acts 3:25-26), which is the Gospel that was made known in advance to Abraham in accordance with the promise (Galatians 3:8), which he spread to Gentiles in Haran in accordance with the promise (Genesis 12:1-5).

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
He wasn't under the gospel either.
Heb. 11:39 And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect.

We are saved by the gospel and we must obey the gospel.
2 Thess. 1: when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels 8 in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
the only commands we have are to believe, to receive and to love ...

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
the only commands we have are to believe, to receive and to love ...
To say we are "only" commanded those things I suggest is way over simplifying.
We have things we are to do. Here is just a hint. Are these optional?
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.

2 For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. 3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; 4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, 5 not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; 6 that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. 7 For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. 8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
a work Is a work is a work

You work to earn a wage

A gift is freely given, but the one who works for it
Then please explain why salvation is not made until after one confesses what one believes in their heart concerning jesus's work on the cross, according to Romans 10:9-10.
One believes unto righteousness, but salvation is not made until one confess with their mouth.
That is both a word of faith and work of faith. We do not have the power or ability to save ourselves by or through our work or words, but at the same time, God will not save a person until after, and I stress the word after, a person confesses with their mouth, the Lord Jesus as their lord and savior. No confession, nooooo salvation! Romans 10:9 through 10.
And even in James 2:14, it is written, and I paraphrase, what good is it, if a man say he has faith but has no works or corresponding Acts? Can that faith alone, being void of any work or corresponding act, save him? The obvious answer, of course, is no.
I say this again, if this is the same kind of work Paul is talking about, then one or the other scripture verses is true and the other is false, because they directly contradict each other, if they were talking about the same kind of work or act.
You can believe Jesus is Lord, all you want, all your life, and never be born again because you failed to act on what you believe. You can go to church, you can pray, you can give to the poor, you can preach the gospel to others, but until you act on what the word of God says concerning jesus's work on the cross, you will never received Christ as your Lord and savior, and you will forever be damned.
So you might want to study up a little, and not be so willfully ignorant concerning, works of faith, because it is the only way to please God.
I hate to say this, but this is really baby stuff. This should be one of the first things Christians should know and be taught. But sadly, even pastors cannot see this work of faith and many even put down the word of faith, as though it were a bad thing, or a doctrine of devils. So sad.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
...I stress the word after, a person confesses with their mouth,...but until you act...you will forever be damned.
I hate to say this, but this is really baby stuff.
So, the dumb , who will never confess "with their [ physical ] mouth" are condemned forever?

What do they have When they "confess with their [ spiritual ] mouth?
Because Of:

Christ's ALL-Sufficient Work On The Cross

ALL of This?:

God's OPERATION On All New-born babes In Christ!
+ Updates: (of # 11) + (of #14)
+
God's Eternal Life Assurance
+
God's Eternal Life Insurance

Amen.

montana123

Oct 9, 2021
1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Charity, love in action, is greater than faith.

No love, then no faith, then no grace.

1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Faith works by love for love is greater than faith.

1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

A person without charity is nothing.

1Ti 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

The love of money is the root of all evil for it neglects the poor and needy and love is the fulfilling of the law.

Which if people go by their wants then they have erred from the faith for they do not love people and love is greater than faith.

Jas 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
Jas 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
Jas 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
Jas 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Jas 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

If they do not have charity then their faith is dead, and a person is justified by works of love, and not faith alone, for no love which has to be done in action, then no faith, then no grace.

1Jn 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
1Jn 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

If they do not have charity then the love of God does not dwell in them.

Do not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed, works, and in truth.

Love can only be valid if it is done in works.

No works of love, then no faith, then no grace.

We are saved by faith, and not by works, when we first confess Christ for that is all we can do, but when we are saved then we have to have works of love to have faith active in our life because love is greater than faith, and faith works by love.

If faith works by love, and a person does not have love then how does faith work in their life.

Faith means having the proper perspective of God's kingdom that He is love, and loves people, and people should love people which is why the Bible says love is the fulfilling of the law.

2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

The people who are a Christian are those that depart from iniquity showing love not hanging on to worldliness dabbling in sin, and say I am saved by faith and cannot fall.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

A Spirit led life will abstain from sin so there is no excuse.

2Ti 3:4 lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Some people never come to the truth to allow the Spirit to lead them, and act Christlike, but they think they are alright despite their sins, and are lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God which they love sin more than they love Him.

1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth.

Charity does not think an evil thought, and does not rejoice in iniquity to want to hold on to sin, but rejoices in the truth to be led of the Spirit and be Christlike hating sin.

Love does not sin, and a person that sins does not love, then they have no faith, and then they have no grace.

Many people say we are saved by faith but they lack love believing they are alright, but if they lack love, then no faith, then no grace.

Do you not understand after all these years.

Oh yeah they are ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
So, the dumb , who will never confess "with their [ physical ] mouth" are condemned forever?

What do they have When they "confess with their [ spiritual ] mouth?
Because Of:

Christ's ALL-Sufficient Work On The Cross

ALL of This?:

God's OPERATION On All New-born babes In Christ!
+ Updates: (of # 11) + (of #14)
+
God's Eternal Life Assurance
+
God's Eternal Life Insurance

Amen.
This is not rocket science. You either believe what is written or you don't. I choose to believe what is written is the truth and it is the word of God, and it says, before salvation is made, one must confess the Lord Jesus.
And Paul calls this, word of Faith, which he preached all over, all the time.
So, as you have pointed out, those who cannot speak verbally, obviously cannot give voice to the word they have received. However, I do know for a fact, they can both use their mouth and use sign language to say what they cannot verbally speak.
So they cannot use the word of faith, they can however use the work of faith through sign language or even by mouthing it without any voice. Both ways are an act done in faith, if they believe in their heart they have indeed received Jesus as their personal lord and savior.
Once this is done, they are born again.
So literally anybody with any kind of impediment can be saved.
And one thing the Bible makes very clear, is that believing alone, without a corresponding work, accomplishes nothing.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
In Romans 10:5-8, our faith references Deuteronomy 30:11-16 as the word of faith that we proclaim in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult for us to obey, in regard to saying that the one who obeys it will attain life by it, in regard to what we are agreeing to obey by confessing that Jesus is Lord, and in regard to the way to believe that God rose him from the dead (Titus 2:14).
I'm sorry, but I don't know exactly what you're trying to say. Would you mind elaborating for me please?

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
Through faith... Whose faith? The sinners
For whatever it's worth, I agree with everything in your post except (if I understood you correctly) for the faith part - that instead of it originating from/by a sinner, it is Christ's faith in view, which faith, is imputed to the sinner as a gift, otherwise, salvation couldn't be by grace, and therefore, not a gift as Eph 2:8 tells us it is. Grace, by definition, must be all encompassing, with nothing outside of it nor anything other than it needed for salvation, or it simply isn't by grace.

[Eph 2:8 KJV] 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

[Rom 1:17 KJV] 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

[Phl 3:9 KJV] 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

[Gal 2:16 KJV] 16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Soyeong

Oct 11, 2023
I'm sorry, but I don't know exactly what you're trying to say. Would you mind elaborating for me please?
In Deuteronomy 30:11-20, it says that the Mosaic Law is not too difficult for us to obey and that obedience to it brings life and a blessing while disobedience brings death and a curse, so choose life. In Romans 10:5-8, it references Deuteronomy 30:11-20 as the word of faith that we proclaim, which is affirming the truth of that passage, and which is directly revenant to Romans 10:9-10 in regard to what we are agreeing to obey when we confess that Jesus is Lord. The Mosaic Law is God word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, or in other words, he is the living embodiment of the Mosaic Law expressed through living in sinless obedience to it, so when we confessing Him to be Lord we are saying that our highest goal is also to embody the Mosaic Law through following his example. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20), or in other words, it is the way to believe that God raised him from the dead in accordance with Romans 10:9-10.

Soyeong

Oct 11, 2023
For whatever it's worth, I agree with everything in your post except (if I understood you correctly) for the faith part - that instead of it originating from/by a sinner, it is Christ's faith in view, which faith, is imputed to the sinner as a gift, otherwise, salvation couldn't be by grace, and therefore, not a gift as Eph 2:8 tells us it is. Grace, by definition, must be all encompassing, with nothing outside of it nor anything other than it needed for salvation, or it simply isn't by grace.

[Eph 2:8 KJV] 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

[Rom 1:17 KJV] 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

[Phl 3:9 KJV] 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

[Gal 2:16 KJV] 16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Jesus had faith in the nature of God, and Jesus is the exact image of God's nature, so the content of what Jesus had faith in is identical to the content of what we have faith in when we have faith in him, or in other words the faith of Jesus is the same as the faith in Jesus, so it doesn't matter either way.

Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while we do not earn our salvation as the result of our obedience to it, living in obedience to it nevertheless through faith in Jesus is nevertheless intrinsically part of the content of the gift of him saving us from not living in obedience to it, so our obedience to it is not adding something from the outside. In Titus 2:11-13, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so we are not required to have first done those works in order to earn our salvation as the result and we are not required to do those works as the result of having first been saved, but rather God graciously teaching us to do those works is intrinsically the content of His gift of saving us from not doing those works.

In Psalms 119:29-30, he wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he chose the way of faith by setting it before him, so this has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace through faith. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the goal of the law is not to earn our salvation, but rather the goal of the law is to know God and Jesus, which is eternal life (John 17:3), which is also why Jesus said that the way to inherit eternal life is by obeying God's commandments (Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28). In Genesis 6:8-9, Noah found grace in the eyes of God, he was a righteous man, and he walked with God, so God was gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he was righteous because he obeyed through faith. In Romans 1:5, we have received grace in order to bring about the obedience of faith. In Ephesians 2:8-10, we are new creations in Christ to do good works, so while we do not earn our salvation as the result of our works, doing good works is nevertheless intrinsically part of the gift of being saved from not doing good works.

The content of a gift can itself be the experience of doing something, such as giving someone the opportunity to experience driving a Ferrari for an hour, where the gift requires them to do the work of driving it in order to have that experience, but where doing that work has nothing to do with earning the opportunity to drive it. In a similar manner, the content of God's gift of eternal life is the experience of knowing God and Jesus and the gift of God's law is His instructions for how to have that experience.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
The Mosaic Law is God word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, or in other words, he is the living embodiment of the Mosaic Law expressed through living in sinless obedience to it, so when we confessing Him to be Lord we are saying that our highest goal is also to embody the Mosaic Law through following his example.
[Heb 7:11-12, 16, 18-19, 22, 24-25, 27 KJV]
11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need [was there] that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. ...
16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life. ...
18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope [did]; by the which we draw nigh unto God. ...
22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament. ...
24 But this [man], because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.
25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
Jesus had faith in the nature of God, and Jesus is the exact image of God's nature, so the content of what Jesus had faith in is identical to the content of what we have faith in when we have faith in him, or in other words the faith of Jesus is the same as the faith in Jesus, so it doesn't matter either way.
Actually, the "way" does matter for the of/in of faith, and, NO, the faith OF Jesus IS NOT the same thing as faith IN Jesus.
The faith OF Jesus is genitive, identifying the owner of the faith, who, in this case is Jesus. Faith IN Jesus on the other hand, usually (but not always) represents Jesus as the object of faith.
The faith we have in Jesus, is in that Jesus fully and completely was/is the Saviour who was sent by God the Father. Christ's faith successfully brought forth salvation, by which, He was faithful to what the Father had assigned to Him to achieve on our behalf. Through which, all of our sins have been forgiven. Nevertheless, our faith does not bring salvation, but comes as the result of salvation, as its gift.

Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while we do not earn our salvation as the result of our obedience to it, living in obedience to it nevertheless through faith in Jesus is nevertheless intrinsically part of the content of the gift of him saving us from not living in obedience to it, so our obedience to it is not adding something from the outside. In Titus 2:11-13, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so we are not required to have first done those works in order to earn our salvation as the result and we are not required to do those works as the result of having first been saved, but rather God graciously teaching us to do those works is intrinsically the content of His gift of saving us from not doing those works.
Salvation is salvation from the wrath of God. No one can perfectly live a sinless life, but that does not mean they aren't saved.
No, it is grace that brings salvation; it is salvation, and from it, being born again that brings a desire not to sin, yet even then, does no one conduct themselves perfectly. For an example of that, look to King David's life and yet he was saved and loved of God.

Salvation is not being trained to do that which is godly, instead, that training comes as a result of salvation, but is not salvation itself.
Salvation has no preconditions nor requirements associated to it other than to have been chosen by God for it - it comes only as a completely free gift. This is so because its value is far above anything that man can perceive nor produce in return for it. That an exceedingly merciful and gracious God gives it completely as a free gift, singularly attests to its very great value - a value which is far beyond anything that man can bring forth in order to acquire it.

In Psalms 119:29-30, he wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he chose the way of faith by setting it before him, so this has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace through faith. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the goal of the law is not to earn our salvation, but rather the goal of the law is to know God and Jesus, which is eternal life (John 17:3), which is also why Jesus said that the way to inherit eternal life is by obeying God's commandments (Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28). In Genesis 6:8-9, Noah found grace in the eyes of God, he was a righteous man, and he walked with God, so God was gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he was righteous because he obeyed through faith. In Romans 1:5, we have received grace in order to bring about the obedience of faith. In Ephesians 2:8-10, we are new creations in Christ to do good works, so while we do not earn our salvation as the result of our works, doing good works is nevertheless intrinsically part of the gift of being saved from not doing good works.
Regarding being saved, grace is complete in itself. If grace required anything outside of itself, that would then be work and not grace.
The below are God's new laws. See my prior reply that the new laws brought by Christ replaced the old. This is not to say moral laws shouldn't be followed but neither does doing so bring salvation.

[Rom 8:2 KJV] 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

The content of a gift can itself be the experience of doing something, such as giving someone the opportunity to experience driving a Ferrari for an hour, where the gift requires them to do the work of driving it in order to have that experience, but where doing that work has nothing to do with earning the opportunity to drive it. In a similar manner, the content of God's gift of eternal life is the experience of knowing God and Jesus and the gift of God's law is His instructions for how to have that experience.
A gift, if a true gift - as in becoming saved - is fully complete in-and-of itself. It can and does spawn-forth other
actions/works on the part of those who receive it but they are after the fact, but insofar as the becoming saved itself is concerned, it is fully complete when given with nothing outstanding nor remaining for it - its binary: either one is saved instantaneously at a time of God's choosing, otherwise, not.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
...that instead of it originating from/by a sinner, it is Christ's faith in view...
Then why do so many verse say "YOUR faith"?
Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you. (Mt 9:29)
And he said unto them, Where is your faith? And they being afraid wondered, saying one to another, What manner of man is this! for he commandeth even the winds and water, and they obey him. (Lk 8:25)
First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. (Rom 1:8)
That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. (1 Cor 2:5)
And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain... And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
(1 Cor 15:14,17)
Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand. (2 Cor 1:24)
Not boasting of things without our measure, that is, of other men's labours; but having hope, when your faith is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly, (2 Cor 10:15)
Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints, (Eph 1:15)
Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all. (Phil 2:17)
Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints, (Col 1:4)
For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. (Col 2:5)
For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad; so that we need not to speak any thing. (1 Thess 1:8)
And sent Timotheus, our brother, and minister of God, and our fellowlabourer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you, and to comfort you concerning your faith:
For this cause, when I could no longer forbear, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter have tempted you, and our labour be in vain. But now when Timotheus came from you unto us, and brought us good tidings of your faith and charity, and that ye have good remembrance of us always, desiring greatly to see us, as we also to see you:
Therefore, brethren, we were comforted over you in all our affliction and distress by your faith: Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in your faith? (1 Thess 3:2,5,6,7,10)
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience (Jas 1:3)
That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls. Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. (1 Pet 1:7,9,21)
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; (2 Pet 1:5)

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
Then why do so many verse say "YOUR faith"?
Because Christ's faith is imputed to all those whom He makes born-again thereby making it into their faith. That the verses you posted say "your faith", by itself, do not identify from where that faith had originated, only that it was within them.
As it was with Abraham, so it is with everyone whom Christ saves - which faith, was imputed freely to Abraham by God. The verses you quoted were speaking of faith ALREADY within them, otherwise, Christ could not have chided them for not having acted upon it - how could He criticize them for not using something He knew that they didn't have? Were it up those to whom He was speaking to have produced it of themselves, and since they didn't have it, He would not have then asked them where it was. He could only ask because they did have it - and it was He, in the form of the Holy Spirit, who had given it to them and who manifests that faith to them, and therefore, by their having it, He could then teach/edify them about it which is how it is manifested. Even though being present within someone, one must still be taught of it by God to become aware of it, to comprehend it, and for its presence within them to grow, true faith, as is with all of the gifts which accompany salvation, comes from, and is manifested by the Holy Spirit as a result of salvation by having been born-again. Conversely, without first having been saved, indwelt, and born again by the Holy Spirit, can no one of themselves, come to, nor manifest true faith.

[Heb 12:2 KJV] 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

[Jhn 6:45 KJV] 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

[Rom 4:9 KJV] 9 [Cometh] this blessedness then upon the circumcision [only], or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.

[Gal 5:22 KJV] 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. (1 Cor 2:5)
The verse you posted, (1 Cor 2:5), informs that our faith comes and remains not by the power of man but by the power of God.

[1Co 2:5-6 KJV]
5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

[1Pe 1:5 KJV] 5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain... And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
(1 Cor 15:14,17)
Amen. my non-vain faith when I "trusted and believed" In
Him, and His Death, Burial And Resurrection, after I 'heard':

"That we should be to The Praise of His Glory, who first​
trusted in Christ. In Whom ye also trusted, after that ye​
heard The Word of Truth, The Gospel of your Salvation:​
in Whom also after that ye believed, ye Were Sealed​
With That Holy Spirit of Promise" (Ephesians 1:12-13)​

Amen.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
To say we are "only" commanded those things I suggest is way over simplifying.
We have things we are to do. Here is just a hint. Are these optional?
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.

2 For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. 3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; 4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, 5 not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; 6 that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. 7 For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. 8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.
These are instructions for those who have been saved, they show us what God's will for us is.

Now if you treat them as commandments you will most assuredly fail in them WHY? because they magnify the sin, they put the flesh under the spotlight, and your flesh is ever in rebellion against God's commands. When God says "thou shalt not" your flesh rises up and says "I shall"

Whether we do go on with God once we have been saved is optional, Peter says we are very foolish if we do not go on to add virtue to faith and brotherly love.

That is the choice we have to make when we are saved. If we do on with God then we study to know what His will for us is. And that is what Paul is instructing.

Holiness is essential for the church, for fellowship.

Failure to go on with God when once we are saved has consequences.

We achieve holiness [do you want to win an argument or do you wish to attain to holiness?]
We achieve it by being daily filled with the Holy Spirit and by letting Him be our life.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
Amen. my non-vain faith when I "trusted and believed" In
Him, and His Death, Burial And Resurrection, after I 'heard':

"That we should be to The Praise of His Glory, who first​
trusted in Christ. In Whom ye also trusted, after that ye​
heard The Word of Truth, The Gospel of your Salvation:​
in Whom also after that ye believed, ye Were Sealed​
With That Holy Spirit of Promise" (Ephesians 1:12-13)​

Amen.
Just to provide a possibly different line of reasoning for your consideration with the following:
That the hearing (spiritual hearing), faith, trust, and belief, come as the byproducts of being born-again by the Holy Spirit from salvation, but which do not bring salvation.
That the "first trusted in Christ", does not mean that their trust in Christ had to come first, and from that trust, they then became saved, with that trust as a prerequisite for salvation, if that's the meaning you had intended. Instead, it meant that of all who would henceforth become saved, that of them all, they were the first, and from that (and as with all who become saved), a trust in Christ comes as a gift. IOW, those of the above verse, were among the first of the brethren henceforth to be saved - which is why the distinction was made in the verse between the "we" and the "ye", and it not just having the "we".
That to be "sealed" is not the same thing as to be indwelt by the Holy Spirit, but instead, is of His seal being placed upon those saved after being born again, through which, they became and remain sealed even until the last day.

[2Co 1:21-22 KJV]
21 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, [is] God;
22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.