Cain's offering

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Here is a question....

How did Cain know that his offering was rejected by God? (He didn't own a bible)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Here is a question....

How did Cain know that his offering was rejected by God? (He didn't own a bible)
How many times are you going to ask the same question? God revealed to Cain that his offering would not be accepted. Cain knew God demanded a blood sacrifice and even provided one for Cain.

Why do you promote a false gospel?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
How many times are you going to ask the same question? God revealed to Cain that his offering would not be accepted. Cain knew God demanded a blood sacrifice and even provided one for Cain.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
You do seem to have a knack for this type of communication.
Do you have anything to support your views...or are we just to accept what you think is true?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014

For the cause of Christ
Roger
It was by or "out of" faith that Abel offered a sacrifice. Abel's faith was evidenced by obedience to God's requirement for sacrifice by which he obtained witness that he was righteous (Hebrews 11:4). His offering evidenced his faith (James 2:18). Cain, who was of the evil one, demonstrated an evil heart by evil deeds, while Abel demonstrated a righteous heart by his righteous deeds (1 John 3:12); and that Abel offered his sacrifice by or "out of" faith and Cain did not. Cain's sacrifice was evidence of his lack of faith. Abel's offering proved something about his faith that was not demonstrated by Cain's offering.

Some may question, “how were Cain and Abel supposed to know what to sacrifice?” The answer is that God must have instructed them. It's clear that the offering was to be a substitutionary atonement, because we read in Hebrews 4:11, "by faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did." It was by or "out of" faith that Abel brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof (Genesis 4:4). The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, and it was accepted. Even without a Bible, God spoke to them.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
We are relating to Cain and Abel's distinct offerings. God has no need to eat, be it flesh of animals, all his, or wheat from the field.

We are referring here to offerings, not sacrifices.

I believe the main reason and only reason Cain's offering was refused is tht his heart was not right, that is, his intentions...........

It is a very early lesson in how we have nothing to give to our Father as a favor or influence of Him since all is His in the first place.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
You do seem to have a knack for this type of communication.
Do you have anything to support your views...or are we just to accept what you think is true?
Gen 4:3 ¶ And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
6 ¶ And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Cain became angry at God and his countenance fell. Oops Cain the old countenance gave you away. Be sure you sin has found you out.

Verse seven God provided an offering that was acceptable to God but Cain still would not present it. Like many today who change the gospel knowing that God will not accept it yet they persist to their destruction.

Ro 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Not that I expect you to be persuaded any more than Cain.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
An offering, a free-will offering, a wave offering,none are sacrifices for sin, rasther a sharing of ourselves our product in this age with the Father in thanksgiving......I do not believe Cain was giving his offering with thanksgiving in mind.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
We are relating to Cain and Abel's distinct offerings. God has no need to eat, be it flesh of animals, all his, or wheat from the field.

I believe the main reason and only reason Cain's offering was refused is tht his heart was not right, that is, his intentions...........

It is a very early lesson in how we have nothing to give to our Father as a favor or influence of Him since all is His in the first place.
Same kind of reasoning that the devil employed to deceive Eve.

God spoke and man was to obey. God made it easy and placed a sin offering at the door of the tent for Cain. His hard heart would not receive forgiveness from God. Those who espouse a false gospel have an identical infirmity.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
I'm still not hearing HOW Cain knew his offering wasn't accepted. Why would Cain offer something he already knew wasn't going to be accepted...and then be angry about it? That is not logical.

So HOW did he know?

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
An offering, a free-will offering, a wave offering,none are sacrifices for sin, rasther a sharing of ourselves our product in this age with the Father in thanksgiving......I do not believe Cain was giving his offering with thanksgiving in mind.
I agree with you. But Cain still did it. So how did he know his sacrifice was refused by God?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I'm still not hearing HOW Cain knew his offering wasn't accepted. Why would Cain offer something he already knew wasn't going to be accepted...and then be angry about it? That is not logical.

So HOW did he know?
Same way you expect your gospel to be accepted when God has already declared otherwise. The sinful heart always gets angry when its sin is made manifest before God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014

In Hebrews 11:4, the NASB reads - By faith Abel offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained the testimony that he was righteous, God testifying about his gifts, and through faith, though he is dead, he still speaks.

Regardless, for the sake of arguments, the main point is that Abel's offering gave evidence that his heart was right with God, but Cain's offering did not. Cain, who was of the evil one, demonstrated an evil heart by evil deeds, while Abel demonstrated a righteous heart by his righteous deeds (1 John 3:12).

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

So HOW did he know?
There are a few examples of how when individuals would offer up anything to God, His acceptance was demonstrated by the offering being consumed by heavenly fire, as with the parents of Samson.

I am not saying with certainty this was the case with Cain and Abel's offerings but it certainly is one way shown in the Word. As for my basis of believing Cain's was not accepted, I have faith the words given the scribes and prophets who have written them down are from the source of Truth, God, so faith tells me it is the way.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I may add it is like anything in the Word even our faith in Jesus Christ for may things have been written by myriads wiser than I, yet I , by faith believe the Word and Jesus Christ Who is both the Word an God before i will hear contradictions for scholars of this age...Their scholastic collections are appointed t the fire next time.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
There are a few examples of how when individuals would offer up anything to God, His acceptance was demonstrated by the offering being consumed by heavenly fire, as with the parents of Samson.

I am not saying with certainty this was the case with Cain and Abel's offerings but it certainly is one way shown in the Word. As for my basis of believing Cain's was not accepted, I have faith the words given the scribes and prophets who have written them down are from the source of Truth, God, so faith tells me it is the way.

Again I agree. Our God is a consuming fire.

So then seeing that his sacrifice was not accepted he grew jealous of Abel's that was accepted. But the key is that God responded when He was pleased.

The point i am trying to make is that God still responds when He is pleased...by sending down grace. Grace is power from heaven.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Again I agree. Our God is a consuming fire.

So then seeing that his sacrifice was not accepted he grew jealous of Abel's that was accepted. But the key is that God responded when He was pleased.

The point i am trying to make is that God still responds when He is pleased...by sending down grace. Grace is power from heaven.
In previous posting I have made mention that Cain's heart was not right.

Recognizing this, perhaps his offering to God was more out of jealousy of Abel; after all, he did go sofar as to kill Abel and hide his body (HE THOUGHT.)

When we ask Jesus to be our Savior, are we giving ourselves, or, are we conniving. If it is the latter, it will not be accepted.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Although Cain murdered his brother, God went easy on Cain...even marking him for protection against others so that they would not avenge the blood of Abel on his head.

That was before the law...and grace.

But what of Ananias and Sapphira? Were they not living in the time of grace? Yet when they lied before the brothers (and the presence of God in the Spirit) they were slain by God.

A time of grace? To whom much is given MORE is required.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
As already noted "God revealed to Cain that his offering would not be accepted."

So what's your agenda?

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
As already noted "God revealed to Cain that his offering would not be accepted."

So what's your agenda?
My purpose is to get people thinking about "how" they know things.

BTW how did God reveal His dissatisfaction to Cain?

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Abel prepared his offering like he was preparing a great meal for God. With the very best of what he had the: "firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof." God had obviously consumed it with heavenly fire.

Cain brought an offering of what he had, but it does not say he brought his very best. His offering was obviously given begrudgingly. He probably said something like: "Well, God is just going to burn it so any old offering will do." It was not what he offered, it was how he offered it. God had obviously left it piled up where it was, and then spoke to Cain. Cain wasn't even trying to please God. He felt obliged to give an offering just because his brother did, and he didn't want to be outdone.

blue-smiley-feeling-sad.gif