Can a man love ONLY ONE woman?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
A decade or so ago i was listening to the radio, a rock station. A woman DJ was on that was in her prime, so to speak, in the 1970's. Maybe it was Carol Miller, I am not sure. Regardless, she played the original version by Stephen Stills, and commented that, she essentially said in so many words, that the song tricked woman into having relations with guys, back in the day.
It sounded like either her, and/or one/some of her friends felt that the song was at least partly responsible for her or them being with a guy that they later regretted or were possibly angry about.
Yeah, I can see how that song doesn't really give the best relationship advice...does it....lol

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I'm trying to get a feel for this topic.

So, it's ok to be dating lots of different women as long as I don't love any of them?

Is that right?

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
I'm trying to get a feel for this topic.

So, it's ok to be dating lots of different women as long as I don't love any of them?

Is that right?

Hopefully that's not the point people are trying to make....:unsure:

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Is it possible that a man can ONLY LOVE ONE woman?
Yes, it's very rare, but possible. I myself am monogamous by nature. I was totally faithful to most of my girlfriends, but for a season I lived a life of polygamy as a result of disappointments with women. In 1986 God called me, I met my wife and returned to a happy monogamous life. This is my contribution to your poll.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
I believe it 100%.
Why? because like you said about Adam and Eve....He searched but when God brought hima suitable helper, he knew she was the right one for him.

I feel I am real close to finding the one I am meant to be with. How do I know this?
Because I asked myself so REALLY tough questions.
What if she lost a limb?
What if she burnt a lot of her body
What if she was in a wheelchair?

I absolutely would stay by her side till death...if that is an easy question for a guy to answer, then putting aside all her outside beauty for the more valuable inside beauty, the guy has found THE ONE.

think in terms of your brother or sister. Would you leave them if they went through all those devastating injuries? No, because you love them and real love doesn't change regardless of life's curve balls

Spiral2

Jul 25, 2018
England
I believe it 100%.
Why? because like you said about Adam and Eve....He searched but when God brought hima suitable helper, he knew she was the right one for him.

I feel I am real close to finding the one I am meant to be with. How do I know this?
Because I asked myself so REALLY tough questions.
What if she lost a limb?
What if she burnt a lot of her body
What if she was in a wheelchair?

I absolutely would stay by her side till death...if that is an easy question for a guy to answer, then putting aside all her outside beauty for the more valuable inside beauty, the guy has found THE ONE.

think in terms of your brother or sister. Would you leave them if they went through all those devastating injuries? No, because you love them and real love doesn't change regardless of life's curve balls
Yes, focus on Jesus. Put aside trying to find a partner and whole heatedly rely on Jesus. Let Jesus be your love.Your delight. But also make a list of things you would like in a partner and hand it over to God. God knows your needs and your desires and wants to bless you but first you must worship Him only. The idea of looking for a partner should not dominate your worship to God or come in the way. Seek Jesus first.
I know this because Jesus did this for my husband. My husband was told to make a list of things his future wife should be/ have when he was at a youth group meeting in his teens in Cape town. He kept fix on Jesus. Then at 35 he came over to England to help church plant. That's where we met. I ticked all the things on the list apparently. He had to wait a bit but God blessed him. Now he has a home, two children and a wife.
At the same time, I had given up on men. Had prayed to God I would live a life as a nun . I only wanted Jesus. No other man could treat me right. I only trusted Jesus. Then my 16 year old daughter decided to get baptized and brought me along to a new church just down the road. We got involved in the church and she went to the youth group. The youth group was held at the house where my husband lived and he drove everyone home. My daughter kept bringing him in for coffee. My Mum kept nudging me and telling him he was nice. I said to them " No". then I took it to the Lord and soon, with out realizing it we were an item and we took it to the minister so he knew why we were sitting together and holding hands. But because we knew, and had prayed about it. We were married withing four months. After we married I realized why God had put us together. I would never have chosen my husband myself but he is just what I need. He handles me and my moods so well. He brings me back to Jesus through every problem. He is not perfect, no one is but he is what Jesus has brought over thousands of miles just for me. I am so spoilt and it is so easy to submit to him. I love submitting to him, allowing him to lead, because I trust him.

Jan7777777

Oct 19, 2018

God created ONE WOMAN for Adam, yet the kings of Israel had so many wives.

Probably need some kind of a definition of "love" so, I'm asking about a man loving a woman with all his body, soul and spirit.

Feel free to define love in the way you understand it.

I look forward to reading your posts!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, I am sure that is what God wants men to do, but, a lot of people don't pray for their soul mates they pick for themselves and then it doesn't work out most of the time. as I see it. but , I think if a man was "IN" love it should last forever until death they part. I know with me, my love was killed with mental abuse and cheating on me. but again I married a sinner, wrong choice and I paid the consequences along with my children paying too.

Jan 20, 2019
Well not the guy I dated. Should have listened to my 9 y.o. Mom he loves all women!
My dad said to my mom: gosh I'm stupid. Don't you have a gf 20 years younger who I can date? I'm always with the same woman. He isn't even saved and he is true to her. They exist.

memyselfi

Jan 12, 2017

Probably need some kind of a definition of "love" so, I'm asking about a man loving a woman with all his body, soul and spirit.

Yes.

My dad was told by this wife, his first wife, over 60 years ago now, "I do not love you any more"... That devastated him so much he had an affair with my step mom. He divorced his first wife, mutual ground, and said I will be the best ex-husband anyone has ever had. The second wife moved home to heaven, Jan. 18, 2019 and they were married for 37 years. My dad still loves... I would say in love with his first wife to this day while being in love with the second wife, while being in love with his second wife.... Over the last 50 years G-d made the first wife and the second good friends thru forgiveness…

What I get from my dad there is always sadness, people move on (like they say) but it, the loss, will always bee there but not DEFINE YOU.... First wife... still morning second wife....

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018

I didn't read any of the replies.. but here is my two cents..

Are you talking about agape love or romantic love?

Romantic love.. there can be many the one's.. but once you choose one to marry, you should stick with that one only!

Agape love... Bible says to love one another as our second commandment... so I do love you all with the love of the Lord :)

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
Also.. three things that come to mind when I think about defining love...

One
God is love

Two
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 New International Version (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Three
God wants us to love our wives as He loved the church. What did He do for the church? He died for them. Unless you are willing to die for your wife, don't marry her! :)

J

jbrooks5912

LOve is based on respect and honor. If we only focus on many women instead of just one then we miss out mainly because one woman is all we need. As a man it is up to us to make out lady feel special instead of used and emotionally abused. LOve is a solid feeling of truth even when you hold her hand and look her deep in the eyes while placing your hand gently on her cheeck and sayonflg , darling you are amazing and i will do what i need to do to he the man God wants me to be for you.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
I did not read too many responses BUT, I believe that finding someone that is a "suitable helper" for you is essential in lasting joy.

I do however believe that not many have the patience required to achieve such a goal.....It is one of life's great mysteries how time can alter our view and thoughts on many things.....I believe it is totally possible that you MAY have met someone you are supposed to be with but, He and she may have some more growing to do before the beauty of what can be is shown.

I think all men grow up and have someone who they see in a higher light...Although they may think that they are out of their league, time has a magical way of showing how possible our dreams are.

Is there ANYONE who if they were yours, would you change your ways for the benefit of both?
For instance: If your Hollywood crush one day decided that they wanted you bad, would you not try and be the best you could be for them? I am not saying have them drag you by a leash. I am saying, you trying to become the best you can be.

I think as we date through the years, SOMEONE from our past seems to hold the #1 spot...All others are compared to them... THEY are they best you have seen till now and if they cannot compare in your eyes, keep searching!

Real love takes time and patience......I DO NOT believe that 2 people meet each other exactly at the same time and realize the value of the other instantly....Too easy!....NOTHING good comes easy. A very valuable life lesson....How many times have you heard, I got what I wanted and it was soooooo easy?

Never!

Dig your heels in and keep believing!

All will age and wrinkle but, I believe that preserving that special feeling can travel through time.

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
But, can a man LOVE ONLY ONE WOMAN - his spouse preferably?

A man can have only one wife, yet that doesn't mean he loves her.
That is true.
I personally, as a man, can only really LOVE one woman, my wife. Other women have been in our lives (my wife and I) through church and socially, and they were really nice folks, and I found them somewhat attractive. YET I did not LOVE them, I LOVE my wife.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018

I've never loved more than one at a time, so I don't understand your post, I guess.

A

AuntieAnt

Love is not self-seeking, but lust is. Unfaithfulness always begins in the heart ruled by lust. And it’s not possible for any man or woman to have a pure heart resulting in genuine faithfulness to one spouse unless Jesus Christ is the Lord of their heart. With God, nothing is impossible; not so with a mere man or woman. Praise God for the Spirit of Jesus Christ, which rules in us.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
I had to sometimes learn the the hard way. Follow the principles of the bible, have a real relationship with God. If not, then it can never sustain in the long run. Never.

L

Locoponydirtman

If he don't ; he will love no woman at all.
If he is willing to take more than one wife he loves neither.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
That's like asking a parent will they only love one of their children if they happen to have multiple children. Your love for them would be equal, but yet different. It's human nature to have "favorites" and that could be for parents, children, or wives. Yet, that doesn't mean you love them any less, you just love them differently for different reasons. We know according to scripture that God has no problem with a man taking responsibility for a wife or wives. The problem today is that people would rather you fornicate and sleep around without responsibility, but when you actually try to make it a legit situation, then everyone gets in an uproar. Satan wants fornication and adultery to happen. He knows that multiple wives would alleviate fornication. However, majority of men can't afford but one wife, so that eliminates most men. But if people understood how in actuality the greatest lineages in the bible came out of multiple wife scenarios, then maybe people wouldn't look so down upon it. And when Paul talks about being the husband of wife, he was giving a suggestion of what he thinks would be best. We know it was his opinion because he also said the bishop shouldn't drink. Well, we know it's NOTHING wrong with drinking if you're a priest or pastor. Jesus was the greatest preacher ever and he drank. So, according to Paul, Jesus would have been out of line. How about Moses, David and Solomon? Also, great preachers and teacher who drank plenty of wine. This is why you have understand scripture and look at the context. www.holytestamentsphysicalandspiritualisrael.com
Comparing the way parents love children to the way a man lives women is not only illogical, it's sick. And saying that Paul was just putting his own opinions in his epistles is just foolish.